Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW:EN Spoiler?

SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

From the Guild Wars website:

"In the face of Tyria's greatest challenges, heroes have arisen to thwart the forces of darkness. The Titans have been driven back to the demon realms, Shiro has been unmasked, and Abaddon has fallen.

"Now a new darkness threatens Tyria. Great earthquakes wrack the lands, opening huge underground complexes beneath the earth. Boiling up from that darkness, an ancient enemy may spell the end of the Age of Man..."

Well, not really a spoiler, but more speculation. Having killed the devil in Nightfall, the Undead Lich in Prophecies, Shiro in Factions, and having seen Rurik die twice (we kill him the second time he dies), who's left to threaten Tyria???

If GW:EN is all about "tying up loose ends" then there's really only one loose end left I can think of: Palawa Joko. Remember Zhed Shadowhoof's stern warning at the Remains of Sahlahja (end of Gates of Desolation mission): "We should killl him while we can. We haven't seen the last of him."

I'm putting my money on the return of Palawa Joko and his undead hordes. The fact that his palace is in the sulfurous wastes south of the Crystal Desert already ties Elona to Tyria.

My runner-up would be Glint, or a race of dragons like her seeking to reclaim their past glories, when dragons were the helpers and guardians of men after the gods created the world. The presence of weapon mods geared to doing extra damage to dragons might hint to this scenario, the way weapon mods for plants and demons foreshadowed some of the villains in Nightfall before it was released. Like Palawa, this also fits the description of "an ancient evil" quite well.

So, we'll make it a poll question: who's the final boss left to destroy in Guild Wars' 1 very last installment. Palawa Joko? A race of dragons? The leader of the Charr that invaded and destroyed Ascalon in the first place? Or someone we haven't met yet? Feel free to think out of the box. :)

Comments

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

I really think it is going to be GWEN...

She is going to "bring it" with a vengence....She is going to pissed for having be left out of the last two games.  There are a select few that have seen here wrath in the past, when I believe she brought the pain to people in the beta.

Confronting Gwen in Eye of the North will tie the ultimate GW  loose end.  There is nothing more long time players like myself (started playing it at E3) would like to see than Gwen to show up again.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• kozikurukozikuru Member Posts: 8
    Gwen will definitely be in the new expansion... in fact she's pictured in the PC Gamer article on EotN and GW2.  I think she will be an NPC at least... and a Hero at best.  Definitely not a foe tho.

I suspect the new foe is referenced in some way all the way back to Prophecies, which has an entire zone within the shiverpeaks.  Maybe something to do with the history of the Stone Summit Dwarves.  Taking a reach here, mostly because I can't remember Prophecies as well as the newer chapters.

Digging back through the Prophecies lore may net a nugget or two.
  • shirotagachishirotagachi Member Posts: 1
    I saw somewhere that Gwen is a mesmer, and she will probably be a hero. As for the boss, I think that it will be the overlord of all of the Charr. (they better stay away from Undead Lich, Shiro Tagachi, Prophet Varesh, and Abbadon, seeing as they made an appearance in Nightfall)
    Originally posted by kozikuru

Gwen will definitely be in the new expansion... in fact she's pictured in the PC Gamer article on EotN and GW2.  I think she will be an NPC at least... and a Hero at best.  Definitely not a foe tho.

I suspect the new foe is referenced in some way all the way back to Prophecies, which has an entire zone within the shiverpeaks.  Maybe something to do with the history of the Stone Summit Dwarves.  Taking a reach here, mostly because I can't remember Prophecies as well as the newer chapters.

Digging back through the Prophecies lore may net a nugget or two.

For those of you who don't think Gwen is a killer on the loose please see the following video and links...look at the things this little girl says...

Killer Gwen  <---Funny video (btw..my favorite part of this is you can just make Gwen out saying "My name is Gwen and I don't like you very much")

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/6734/gw003thumb0mx.jpg

http://img105.exs.cx/img105/8850/gw008thumb3no.jpg

http://img105.exs.cx/img105/4944/gw007thumb2hr.jpg

http://img105.exs.cx/img105/9264/gw009thumb9zd.jpg

http://img105.exs.cx/img105/6200/gw004thumb1sg.jpg

You will weep the day you see Gwen again...

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

Dude, that video was hysterical!!!

True that Gwen is a HUGE loose end, but I never got the impression she was a potential killer, just a major PITA for always wanting to follow you! She was the biggest annoyance of Pre-Searing, but a wanton killer set on world domination?!? I might believe that about her absentee parents (where were they when she was always trying tag along after me? Is there a wicked step-mother we haven't met???) :)

And for the record, I only put her in the poll as a bit of an inside joke, but if she turns out to be the final boss I'm gonna $!@# my pants. :)

P.S. I'd also be disappointed if they bring back Abaddon or some other villain from Nightfall (where they were all featured again). GW:EN should be about Tyria, plain and simple. We should be able to find clues in reading up on Tyrian lore.

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

Dude...we all know the final boss is the great destroyer already

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Eye_of_the_North

Thanks for the info. So we can put you down for "Someone we haven't met yet?"

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Honestly? I think it's Glint herself.

I seem to remember her snatching a powerful artifact at the end of Prophecies. A thing that allowed the Lich to raise the Titans, and granted unquestionable control over the undead. She's been sitting at the sidelines for years, seemingly gathering information the whole time, acting as a visionary for those that seek her out. I wouldn't be all that surprised if she created the Flame-Seeker Prophecies herself so that she could set herself up later on down the road. Which would include inciting the Charr to attack Ascalon. She's a dragon, and a really powerful one at that.

Besides, Gwen's an ally. And only Firestorms at the end of Beta events. >.>

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

I'm actually a little disappointed if the final boss will be someone we haven't met yet, like "The Great Destroyer" (of course, according to the link that could only be a title and not the name of the foe). It doesn't make sense to expand the lore further in the closing chapter of the game, when the final chapter should be all about tying up all the loose ends.

An evil dragon - more powerful than Glint - or even Palawa Joko, who's return should be addressed in the final chapter, would be a more interesting foil.

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

I thought GW:EN would see the Great Destroyer as its final boss?

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Great_Destroyer

• kozikurukozikuru Member Posts: 8
    It may be an entirely new foe in order to introduce the lore in GW2. 

I didn't think of that before, but it makes complete sense now.  EotN will introduce the new playable races for GW2... why not the start of the GW2 lore?

So now I'm leaning towards the introduction of an entirely new foe.

Here's the thing with "The Great Destroyer". What is it? Has it been defined yet? What does it look like?

Best descriptions I've ever heard were from the Sorrow's Furnace update. And as I recall, it was little more than "Big mean thing that about killed us all a long time ago". It could very well be something we've already seen with a different name. It could also be something that none of us have ever seen before and won't until GW:EN comes out. There's simply not enough information yet to say for certain what "The Great Destroyer" is.

Heck, it might actually BE Gwen for all we know.

--~~--
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• Teh_chumpTeh_chump Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by VGJustice

Heck, it might actually BE Gwen for all we know.
    Highly unlikely, cause that would make Gwen the rival of the Great Dwarf and the Great Dwarf fought Great Destroyer and banished him/her years ago, so i dont think Gwen is the Great Destroyer.

*Gives Teh_chump a cookie for completely missing the point* -.-

--~~--

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by Teh_chump
    Originally posted by VGJustice Heck, it might actually BE Gwen for all we know.
    Highly unlikely, cause that would make Gwen the rival of the Great Dwarf and the Great Dwarf fought Great Destroyer and banished him/her years ago, so i dont think Gwen is the Great Destroyer.

it IS possible...villains have been known to have the ability to somewhat possess a human host from another plane with only limited powers even tho they could not fully enter the realm that they were banished from. Thats why villains are bad...they always find a way to bend the rules a bit.

• kegboyiikegboyii Member Posts: 103
    The great destroyer may be a dwarf...If the stone summit dwarves worship the destroyer like the deldrimor worship the great dwarf, it can be a fairly safe assumption. There's one pic from Kotaku i think it was, the pic with two dwarves, decked in heavy armor with one of them holding a hawk or crow...Thinking one of them could be the great destroyer.

Life is 10% what happens and 90% how you react to it!

This is from the link to guildwiki someone else posted on page one of this thread:

"The Great Destroyer is the title of the enemy of the Great Dwarf, whose true name is said to be contained within the Tome of the Rubicon. He is worshipped by at least some members of the Stone Summit, such as Hierophant Morlog. No known depictons of the Great Destroyer have been observed, and there is insufficient information to determine whether or not the Great Destroyer is an alias of some other, named entity, however the Stone Basilica near where the Tome of the Rubicon is buried bears a strong resemblance to the ruins in the Foundry of Failed Creations. The Great Destroyer has been confirmed to be the villain of Guild Wars Eye of the North."

As VGJustice points out, a title such as "The Great Destroyer" could just about cover anyone we've already met in-game (and I hope it does). Just as Caesar (Latin for "King") was the title for many men with names ranging from Julius to Caligula, "Great Destroyer" may be nothing more than one title (amnong others) for Glint.

I certainly don't think knowing that the final foe is "The Great Destroyer" really tells us who or what that foe will be. Anyway, it's fun to speculate.

• kegboyiikegboyii Member Posts: 103
    I'm considering what kozikuru said earlier. It makes perfect sense that GW:EN would begin the lore for GW2 considering that it is supposed to bridge the storyline between the games or connecting them, what have you. In GW2, there is supposedly going to be a faction in which all races are against, so it may be well to assume that The Great Destroyer may be the first of that future faction. In the game's description, it does state that the final battle will determine the future of the world, so just maybe...

Life is 10% what happens and 90% how you react to it!

OK, having revisited one of the Sorrow's Furnace missions - (Tome of the Rubicon, the one you get from High Priest Alkar - I have a new "take" on the identity of The Great Destroyer, and this time I'm willing to bet on it.

First, here's a transcript from the dialogue of that mission straight from the "mouth" of High Priest Alkar:

"Long ago, the Great Dwarf took from his greatest foe the one thing that gave him his power...He took from him his name, sealing it away until the time of their final battle.

"To ensure the name was unspeakable to all but the Great Dwarf, the name was sealed within the Rubicon. There are few left with the knowledge and power to open this tome.

"The day will come when the great Dwarf and the Great Destroyer will do battle, but the time is not yet right for such a meeting. If the true name of either is spoken aloud, it would mean the end of the world as we know it. We must not allow that which is unknown to again become known. Not now.

"The Great Destroyer is reputed to be everything the Great Dwarf is not...Evil, malicious, and greedy to the core."

Before telling you whom I now think the Great Destroyer is, just a quick note on Sorrow's Furnace. I think Sorrow's Furnace will be the new "hub" that allows travel to all parts of Tyria, Cantha, and Elona for two simple reasons:

1. It's centrally located.

2. Ever notice how there are certain gates in SF that are guarded but have no apparent ingress or egress? (These are guarded by the level 28 Furnace Guardians.) I believe these gates - once EoTN is released - will become passable, leading us to new areas through which to explore. And because they are already underground, they seem like the logical choice for "extensions" into the expanding underground world that we will see in EoTN.

I don't know if the devs were thinking of GW:EN when they released the SF update, but if so, the lore, missions and quests in SF seem to foreshadow the coming story in GW:EN in a big way. People who criticize GW for having no PvE or a poor story have never played their way to SF.

Now, for my "take" on the final "big boss" of GW:EN. Since the story takes us deep underground (a la Sorrow's Furnace), and since anyone who has played in the Underworld or Fissure of Woe for anytime at all has encountered the shadow armies there, I predict here and now that the final boss in GW:EN will be none other than Menzies himself, who is - after all - an overlord of the Underworld, where most of GW:EN will take place.

Anyone else agree or disagree and why?

In any event, we'll know in just a few short weeks.

P.S. The reason I'm more convinced than ever that the Great Destroyer is Menzies is because no one has ever seen or battled Menzies himself, just his shadow minions.

Next, the identity of the Great Dwarf... :)

Nice research there Serling.  I have been too busy title hunting to really go back and look at all those things.  Everything you have tied in so far make great sense.  Maybe Menzies and Polo Joko team up like Shiro and The Undead Lich did.  I am motivated to get this wait over with.  Come on sneak peek weekend.

This just in:

Almost through GW:EN and watched "The Final Vision" in the Scrying Pool at Hall of Monuments. There, in the midst of all the destroyers was a dragon, and above it, a statue of a dragon that looked ALOT like Glint.

Furthermore, in an earlier quest, Livia had asked my character about the Scepter of Orr. The last one to have possession of the Scepter was (drumroll please) Glint.

VGJustice may very well get the prize for being the predictor here. :)

P.S. The Destroyers are like mini-Titans, and are probably summoned the same way, via the Scepter of Orr.

• ZorwrathZorwrath Member Posts: 63

I beat GW:EN yesterday, and the boss is The Great Destroyer. It's not too fancy lke I thought it would be. It's just a scorpion-like lava monster. It's in a lava pit, which you have to fight him in. He's a level 31, and is very easy to kill. The only hard part is that you have to fight him in the lava. Since this is the end of GW, and the cutscene after you kill the boss is a bridge to GW2, there is a story told in the cutscene. In the last vision you see in the pool at the hall of monuments, you see the great destroyer roaing at a statue of a dragon head that hangs from the ceiling of the cave. In the end cutscene after the great destroyer fight, the dragon statue rumbles and opens it's eyes, and then it ends, so I'm guessing it will be the main antagonist in GW2.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Zorwrath
    I beat GW:EN yesterday, and the boss is The Great Destroyer. It's not too fancy like I thought it would be. It's just a scorpion-like lava monster. It's in a lava pit, which you have to fight him in. He's a level 31, and is very easy to kill. The only hard part is that you have to fight him in the lava. Since this is the end of GW, and the cutscene after you kill the boss is a bridge to GW2, there is a story told in the cutscene. In the last vision you see in the pool at the hall of monuments, you see the great destroyer roaring at a statue of a dragon head that hangs from the ceiling of the cave. In the end cutscene after the great destroyer fight, the dragon statue rumbles and opens it's eyes, and then it ends, so I'm guessing it will be the main antagonist in GW2.

picture or it didn't happen!

Just beat GW:EN this morning. Spoiler alert!!! The Great Destroyer is a bone dragon (so if you picked dragon from the poll, grats! Doesn't look like a lot of thought went into that one). The Great Dwarf never shows up for "the final battle", and Gwen isn't even a bit player. On top of that, the end-game greens are worse than in Factions (Nightfall's were the best) and they won't load into the Monument to Valor in the Hall of Monuments.

BTW, the "threat to the whole world" alluded to in the epilogue is - indeed - a dragon like Glint opening its eyes and roaring. Livia, a new Necro hero from the Shining Blade, is also seen taking the Sceptre of Orr in the closing video, too.

All-in-all, EoTN is a mixed bag. Most of the early missions are fun, the latter missions (Heart of The Shiverpeaks especially and Destruction Depths) are stupid. Why they couldn't have put an outpost in Battledepths is unfreakingconceivable. Every time you want to do one of those missions, you have to leave from Eye of the North, which is at least two zones away! Just getting to them is a grind!

Oh, and one more thing: there is much NPC chatter about discovering what the Eye of the North is and who built it, but that goes absolutely nowhere and isn't even alluded to in the epilogue video leading up to GW2.

Playing Eye of the North is like watching a pretty movie that doesn't make any freaking sense. A-Net definitely needed a few more story consultants on this one, or one good one who actually played Prophecies, IMHO.

Bottom line is having been through it once, I doubt I'll be in a hurry to get any more characters through it. YMMV.