Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXI to Become Obsolete?

Jackitup32Jackitup32 Member Posts: 15
Okay.  So I am sure that many of you have heard about the new Square Enix MMORPG that is going to be released in the not too distant future.  (If not, find the link at the bottom of this Post).  It is either suppose to be a spinoff of FFXI or a complete different game.  Do you think that this game will put FFXI off the map?  I mean... I can understand how it would because its the same company making a brand new game.  And the best part is.. NO PS2!!  It is suppose to be PS3, 360, and Vista PC's.  I'm not to sure where I am going with this, but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought about this.  I am for sure going to switch to the new game if it is good.

Here Is A Concept Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Kceq4AbGk

Here Is More Information:  http://ps3.ign.com/objects/823/823994.html

Comments

• Hero203Hero203 Member Posts: 12

FFXI-2 hopefully, or something like that.

• Jackitup32Jackitup32 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Hero203

FFXI-2 hopefully, or something like that.
    I think it would be cooler to have a completely new game.  I mean... everyone knows what happened with FF X-2 LOL.  Well, it was a good game, but just not the same as the first.  If you are gunna make a new game, might as well make it count.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I've quoted this press release from Square Enix before, but seems it's time to do it again. You'll find it at http://www.square-enix.com/jp/company/e/news/2006/download/release_060718en.pdf

OP, the youtube info is fake. As lots of other stuff there. The article quoted to the right of the video box is the same as SE talks about in this press release. And it's old news...

Tokyo, Japan (July 18, 2006) - Square Enix Co., Ltd (“the Company”). wishes to comment on a specific media report, dated July 14, stating that the Company is developing a sequel to its online game title, FINAL FANTASY® XI, and plans to release the title on three platforms ? the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., the Xbox 360TM video game and entertainment system, and Windows Vista TM the next-generation PC operating system from Microsoft Corporation.
    The Company did not make such an announcement and has not made any decisions resembling those detailed in the media report.
    As the Company announced in May 2005, it is currently developing an online title for next-generation platforms including game consoles and PCs; however, this title is being developed as a completely new MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online RPG). We will disclose further details of this title, including platform compatibility, immediately after any relevant decisions are made.
    In addition, the Company continuously plans to release expansion packs for FINAL FANTASY XI, available on PlayStation®2, Xbox 360, and Windows®, as well as perform version updates.

• AnimatorKidAnimatorKid Member Posts: 208
      I dunno about it becoming obsolete as of just yet. S.E released a trailer for the new expansion they are coming out with. Its suppose to take place just prior to the great Vana' Deil war.

The only thing i do know is that S.E's game isn't helping them by bring in new players. More an more players are leaving on there own. an another % are getting booted for cheats and hacks. I wouldn't be surprised if a new population tally came out with only 250k subscribed.
  • xXSeraphielXxXSeraphielX Member Posts: 107

With the new expansion coming for FFXI I hardly think this game has seen it's end.. it is a fantastic game that while it might be able to use some graphics upgrade, is still very pretty. Gameplay is fun and exciting. And best of all the game is a bit of a challenge.

My $0.02

Seraphiel

• IainzyIainzy Member Posts: 11
    Can people Make sure they highlight and Link and Http's they put down YOu can't Copy and Past on this site!

=Dionysus=07=

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405
    Just look at Fantasy earth Online. It just doesn't cut at all. Don't bring your hopes too high even if it is a SE game or SE publish game.

none

• KallenTeooKallenTeoo Member Posts: 22
    I would be just fine if they made FFXI with next gen Graphics or even just boost what they have now. Maybe add some pvp to it etc and i think it would be fine.
  • RinicRinic Member Posts: 715
    People still play Everquest 1.

Nuff said.
  • HolyKnightJLHolyKnightJL Member Posts: 2
    I just subscribed today the game is downloading updates as i post this, so new subscribers like me i'm sure isn't gonna be a problem.  also i read on 1up.com yesterday that they are planning on releasing (if i'm not mistaken) not one but two mmorpg titles in 2008 or 2009 and it was also stated that as long as people continue to play the game they won't ever shut it down and if subscriptions do get to low they were thinking about the possibilities of what they can do one of which included downloading your character into an offline game of some sort.  Here is the link if you'd like:  http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159493