Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZBoard ??? keyboard forum for MMOs

hello. I always see the ZBoard, the ones with interchangable key patterns for specific games.

I do not use one because I do not like the feel of the keyboard.

I use a Saitek Eclipse which is basicly a normal keyboard but with back light keys, good for late night play in the dark.

I have seen many fancy programable keyboards and I wonder, Does anyone really use a Zboard or one of those fancy SUPER keyboards ?

Whats with gaming mice too? I saw somthing by Razor.... whats with that? I use a track ball.

Comments

• jmpreissjmpreiss Member Posts: 49
    I never really bought into the expensive keyboards for gaming and other stuff for a while, but then the past Christmas rolled around and I ended up getting the Logitech G-15 with the giftcards I got. I have to say that I find it to be a great keyboard. I don't use the macro keys all that much because I don't really care much for macros, but the display it has as well as the ability to disable the windows key is certainly nice. It's also a pretty sturdy keyboard, if a bit large. All in all, I love it for gaming.

As for a gaming mouse, well, I broke down and picked up a Logitech MX Revolution (yes I love Logitech for the keyboard and mouse, but prefer Saitek for the controllers), and I love it to death. I find it fits my hand nicely, the buttons on it are well placed for whatever you might be doing (if right handed) and I have no issues with battery life. It easily goes a number of full days of use without having to be docked to recharge. It also responds in such a way that I don't notice that it is a wireless laser mouse when I am playing games and it has gone idle. No detectable movement lag from me anyways.

All said, the toys are not something that you need for gaming, but they can be fun little shinies to pick up for the right price.
  • Azeroth04Azeroth04 Member Posts: 215
    I bought a Zboard when WoW was released. The keysets came with macros that were pretty much useless to me, and I'm sure most of the other keysets are the same. 99% of the time I just used the standard keyset. IMHO, I wished I would have spent money on a better, comfyer keyboard. The keys are hard to press, and the gaming keyset with the segregated keys for movement, macros, etc just wasn't as comfortable for maneuvering as a regular keyboard. Definitely do not buy a Zboard. Just buy a really nice, standard-key keyboard. Although I have seen some gaming keyboards which were essentially normal keyboard but with added features like additional buttons, button mapping, screens, etc.
  • sheeshsheesh Member Posts: 330
     I would recommend getting a Logitech G11/15. It's been the best keyboard I have ever used.

-Back-lit keys

-Programmable micro keys (54 keys in total)

-USB ports at top of keyboard

-A button that dissabled the windows key for gaming

-Standard volume control, and media control.

-The G15 comes with a LCD screen at the top for simple apps.

My G11 cost me around $40 when it was on sale, regular around $80. And $90-100 for the G15.
  • InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115
    Logitech G-15 hands down. 3 sets of 18 programmable macro keys that are interchangable between games, full media control including a volume control wheel, LCD monitor of your CPU/RAM usage with other programs and add-ons for the screen. Many games/mmos have their own screen for the LCD as well, I know at least LOTRO and WoW show health/mana and stats etc. on the screen. Keyboard also has 2 usb slots on it in case you see fit to use em, and a lock switch for the start menu key

• the zboard is the biggest waste of money i ever spent. the interchangable stuff sucks and there is no backlight or anything. i all i do is use the regular keyboard
  • atkafighteratkafighter Member Posts: 71
    I got a MERC keyboard for like 20 bucks.  It's pretty nice with the larger layout on the side for controlling your character.  Also, since it's still a full keyboard it's okay for daily use too.  No keysets to swap.
  • ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

I originally used the Nostromo SpeedPad n52 . The form factor was great, but the layout was primarily geared toward FPS use. The lack of a good set of reachable 1-= keys (or equivalent) was a letdown.

I recently got a FANG Gamepad (made by the ZBoard guys). I love the key layout, it's incredibly easy to use. But the form factor really sucks. The n52 had a superb palm rest and tilted the keys to make a more natural fit for the hand.

I'd love it if Nostromo would make a new version with a set of 1-= keys (or at least ~10 programmable keys beyond the immediate QWE-ASD-ZXC range) with the same (or similar) form factor as the n52. I'd snap that product up in a heartbeat.

• jeedogjeedog Member Posts: 1

WHY IS IT THAT IT KEEPS SAYING I HAVE   0 BONUS TICKETS I LOG IN TO THE DANG SITE EVERY DAY

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823146004

I've had my eye on this recently. It looks like a good keyboard for MMO gaming.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Can't argue with a G15, I'm using one myself.  As for mice, G3.  I love laser mice, after using one, I can never go back to optical.  Optical just lags in the wierdest places.  I have never had an ounce of lag with this. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

I use a G11. I nearly bought a G15, but the LCD screen really wasn't all that important to me. I've been very pleased with it, and I tend to be pretty picky when it comes to feel. I used the same Micron keyboard for about 5 years because none of the other keyboards I'd picked up had the same "heft" to the keys. The G11 is the first adequate replacement I've come across. The macro keys have been somewhat useful, though I mostly find that the games I play have sufficient aliases and macros to make additional keys unnecessary. The USB ports and media player controls have both been very helpful (especially the volume dial), however, and those are aspects shared by both the G11 and the G15.

EDIT: If you are considering a G15, make sure you get the right one. There are two versions of it, and all the research I did when looking for my keyboard lead me to believe that the older version was actually a better product. Both are still available through Newegg.

The version you want: Model # 967599-0403

The version you probably don't want: Model # 920-000379

• XerpherionXerpherion Member Posts: 28

I agree with the general trend of the forums, a zboard is a waste, iv got a G-11 atm and iv found the macroing system on it to be better than any zboard key set, and the quick macro ability you can use in game is pretty useful to

As for a gaming mouse iv got a razor diamond back, its pretty useful (most for FPS) games as it has 7 buttons all programable and its sensativity is like its high on caffien, which comes in useful in close quater FPS moments, but as for using a gaming mouse for MMO i haven't noticed much of an advantage to them

• PhyllisLangleyPhyllisLangley Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    The burning crusade one is not in that list i looked. also to answer another poster i think each ones key setup is different but i could be wrong about that. also i have not been able to find a turrent on it.