Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people compare GW to WoW?

HollyWeberHollyWeber Member UncommonPosts: 43

Everywhere I go around here that's all I see. People are always comparing GW to Wow, saying GW is like WoW but with no monthly fee's and yadda yadda yadda.

It annoys me. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They are two completely different game, with different goals and objectives. They have different play and fighting styles, different races, different classes and class setups, different PvP playing style, different graphics. You CAN'T compare the two at all.

I've played GW, L2, EQ 1 and EQ 2, LOTRO and WoW. They ALL have things that are different from other games and they ALL have some similarities but every MMO or CORPG I've ever played has something unique about it that can't compare to any other game.

Out of all of them, GW is one of my favorites. I love the skill and fighting style and the way you have to really think about what skills and what build you want according to who you're going to be fighting against. Every other game I've played you pretty much just mash buttons, there's no real thought involved during combat. (There are some exceptions but I mean generally speaking) GW also has some of the most beautiful graphics I've seen in a game. No other game can make me stop and just go...wow.

So for all you negative people out there who constantly compare WoW to GW or to some other MMO, and whine and complain about what the game doesn't offer you that WoW does, suck it up and find something to like, or quit playing and go back to WoW. You won't be missed by the GW community.

Comments

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Thats true to me they are 2 totally different games.

?

• CofcosCofcos Member Posts: 16
    I've not noticed it compared to WoW over much, but I don't pay attention. :)

Though that's even worse than comparing GW to Diablo 2. And worse than comparing WoW to Diablo 2-- Unless I don't understand what makes D2 D2. But for me it's the high overhead view + hordes of enemies + item collecting with a dash of character development.
  • Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    me to, i dont see it compare much to WoW...

they are 2 completely different styles of play, with each their characteristics. like WoW= raid and grind GW=no grind and lots of pvp with a pve storyline.

i would compare it more to diablo2 with the 8 man team and the instanced aspect of missions.

• NickeluddNickeludd Member Posts: 2

That is so true said i hate ppl that compare WoW and GW. I have played both games and can't see anything to compare.

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

To the OP: because they're retarded, and because of the debatable advertising that was done at release.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    At this point, People will compare a tuna salad sandwich to WoW.  Honestly, its all about having a frame of reference for comparisons sake and since WoW is the most played MMO it's the easiest to use as a reference point.

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• thetankthetank Member Posts: 200
    IMO its like comparing strawberries to jelly...

It just doesnt makes sense..

But they keep doing ti and doing it and doing it

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461
    Because like 6 million people have WoW as their first mmo. And most of them haven't tried any other mmo yet. I've seen people saying that DAoC and EQ2 are WoW clones before. People gotta stop thinking that WoW created the mmo genre (which according to some of them started on 2004).

Ultima Online 98~04
    Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812
    Originally posted by Rollotamasi

At this point, People will compare a tuna salad sandwich to WoW.  Honestly, its all about having a frame of reference for comparisons sake and since WoW is the most played MMO it's the easiest to use as a reference point.

Tuna Salad = Sounds good when you think about it, but doesn't seem so tasty after your first bite

WoW = Sounds good when you think about it, but doesn't seem so fun after your first game play

I think you have figured it all out, the world once again makes sense...

Actually a lot of the posters here in the GW forum were not here when Guild Wars first got released, it was the wild wild west of forum trolling between WoW and GW.  It was WoW Fanboi Bots vs. The Defensive New Guy, it was quite entertaining and frustrating all at once.  It is what actually pulled me out of my "Lurker" status and start actively posting at mmorpg.com

People will always compare something to the most famous/popular in that category/genre, just plain human nature.  Most people have a hard time taking something at face value and therefore need a reference.  You run into problems when the two things you are comparing are completely different.  WoW and GW are square and round pegs respectively, unless the player has a slot for both there is going to be conflict.  Instead of people embracing the differences and seeing they are both good for different types of game play, they compare they and then trash the one they don't like.

I have respect for WoW, but I prefer to stick with GW's

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• HollyWeberHollyWeber Member UncommonPosts: 43

I held out on WoW. It wasn't a game I was ever interested in while I played EQ2, GW and L2. The ONLY reason I got WoW and started playing was because I worked at Fry's Electronics and it was huge there. There's even a guild for them. I decided it would be fun to play a game with my co workers so I bought it and started playing. It was fun....for a while. I still have it on my computer, I still pay monthly for my account but it was not my first MMO. That honor goes to the original EQ. I think I first started playing it right before the Kunark expansion came out, back when the only way to meditate was by sitting down and staring at your spell book. Boy wasn't that fun.

Anyway, I've played GW and WoW and there are things I like about both of them, but the new EotN coming out and then GW 2 sometime next year REALLY has me excited and wanting to get my head back into playing GW.

• TonevTonev Member Posts: 462
    Been here since day 1 of Prophecies release and I can tell you the only thing GW has in common to WOW (which is growing everyday) is the social behaviour of "STFU" and "I am 14-15 "response when groups get wiped. Other than that I would say that GW gives a greater freedom in regards to template stacking and is not as group centric as WOW, but this is my opinion and what I am experiencing of late in GW.
  • ArchendrusXArchendrusX Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I'm going to agree that they are similar in the sense that they are both fantasy titles and are both big games.  But other than that completely different...and I'm grateful for that.  I played WoW for a bit and it was good for a time.  Then I realized that it's the same old stuff that I was looking to get away from with my primary MMO (Which is Matrix Online, and for those of you who have played it know what a mind-numbing grind it is, but I like it so meh)  I also love the single epic storylines of GW and the no-grind gameplay.  It feels like I'm actually progressing through an interesting story and having fun with other players rather than grinding through quests to get to max level so I can PvP....wait a minute, that is what I'm doing! lol
  • project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences: to compare two pieces of cloth; to compare the governments of two nations.

thats why ppl compare  

die. <3