Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about next generation games lack of puzzles and areas

Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I was thinking about Everquest and it brought back a lot of memories.  I'm curious why these next generation MMOs don't have the features that old generation games like EQ had. 

For instance when you went into Velk's in Velious there were long windy bridges you had to climb to get to the top and they were slippery.  You also had to jump over holes in the bridge to get to the next area. 

In Freeport and Qeynos if you were a necromancer there were hidden tunnels under the ground where you had to go to train your new skills.  The entreance wasn't obvious as it was disguised as a wall generally, but you could walk through it. 

In Highpass there was a tunnel underwater that you had to swim to get to a certain part of that area where a quest mob spawned.

In Sebilis you came in one way, but you could only go out through another tunnel.

Befallen had locked doors for each level and you had to kill a certain mob to get the key for each door.

In Solosek to gain entreance you had to go through lava so you had to have high fire resistance.

Anyway the point is there were a lot of neat little things that I haven't found in other games I have played since.  It seems now it's just go out and kill mobs.  There is almost always an easy and clear path to follow.  I like having those deep winding tunnels with all kinds of traps, secret doors, and not knowing whats waiting ahead. 

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I guess there aren't many people who like this kind of stuff. The ideas seem to come from muds though I never played muds.  There is more ot a MMO then just fighting.  Perhaps the lack of these type of game mechanics is because the developers who make the ideas now are coming from past MMOs, but also follow more of a strict corporate structure.  When I talk about the fun missing from teh MMOs this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.  It's the little things that the people who are making the games put into it.  They have to love what they are doing and be doing it just to find the biggest mass market appeal.
  • tunabuntunabun Member UncommonPosts: 666

Sadly we are still part of the present generation of MMO`s.  "Next-Gen" is a marketing term used to sell featureless, unoriginal, slop.

- Burying Threads Since 1979 -

True though what I'm saying is the first few MMOs had more creative content then the current MMOs which is kinda sad.  These games sell themselves off of graphis and fighting.  They have lost a lot of their MUD roots.
  • BernoullyBernoully Member Posts: 174

Such are the times when exploration is still an issue all players are familiar with. There are also Zelda-type dungeon puzzles that MMOs can use, and their solutions can be programmed to randomize every 10 minutes and so on. It was always a problem in exploration when there is nothing new to surprise anymore, so location features best include a randomizer.

It would be great if there are newer games that do these. Rekindle the wanderlust!

The Zelda radomizer was pretty cool I'll admit.  I'm not sure you have to randomize things to make exporation fun though.  You just have to make things a little less obvious.
  • Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    wanderlust?  You some kind of Kender? I never got into the older games much but the ideas sound pretty cool, Im a little skitish about anything requiring fire resistance though
  • LackeyZeroLackeyZero Member Posts: 640

This is exactly the reason why I'm not playing current mmorpgs. When DDO was in beta quite awhile back, this is the stuff its missing for like 95% of its content. Most of it was/is unoriginal straight forward content. And this unoriginality is what the current crop of mmo is all about...

Anyways, those lacking features and monsters standing still waiting for you to initiate are the biggest things I hate about mmos right now...

Yes wanderlust must be upon me.