Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else agree Vanguard needs SWG's Covert/Overt system?

I thought this was a really good idea in beta but i was shot down like some fool because people who PVE didn't want PVP on their server. However i think this is a really good idea for 1. low population mmorpg and 2. bringing the community together like Guilds who want to do both.

It would work to people who wanted PVP could set themselves for open PVP and people who just wanted to PVE could set themselves to just that. Also People who wanted to do both like me as i like to PVE sometimes without being killed but i do enjoy open PVP once in awhile but not all the time. I really don't see how it effects people in each camp but it helps everyone with a choice of what to do. Instead of picking a server limited to just one option.

Edit: + It would allow the whole player cities and PVP battles over them too which would be a kool feature for Vanguard :) The PVP for cities could be optional where you could just place a PVP base so you could have both on the same server again.

Comments

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Never did any SWG PvP but, it seems what you're describing is "consensual PvP". Nothing odd about it at all, what's odd is NOT having consensual PvP in an MMO nowadays, and that's one of Vanguard's biggest shortcomings.

Anyway, Vanguard's "normal" servers should definitely be revamped to include some kind of consensual PvP akin to what you suggested. It's inevitable really, because PvP servers aren't enough; consensual PvP is much more popular in the market than non-consensual PvP.

I say that because of games like Dark Age of Camelot and our lovely World of Warcraft that properly offers both PvP varieties, and how most folks flocked to consensual PvP "normal" servers. Dark Age of Camelot even experimented with a no-PvP server itself, which wasn't as popular as its consensual PvP "normal" servers. 'course DAoC or WoW's circumstances don't reflect the entire market...well World of Warcraft does half of it, but my point is, even games like City of Heroes rectified the mistake of not having any PvP, and now has gone the consensual route. SOE will have to reevaluate the usefulness consensual PvP for it's high-fantasy games.