Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrading my computer could use some help with processor stuff.

Hey guys and gals.  I am currently ready to upgrade my computers motherboard and processor.

Here are my current computer specs:

• Tower - XG Dragon ATX Mid Tower with 500w active PFC Power Supply
  •  
  • Video Card - EVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express 16
  •  
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Pro LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
  •  
  • RAM - OCZ Gold Series 3 x 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)
  •  
  • Processor - Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2GHz LGA 775

Now onto what I am wanting to do and my problem.

I am wanting to buy a new faster motherboard and processor that will still support my RAM and also fit in my case.

I just see most of the dual cores are less Ghz than my current but I know they are faster in certain cases but I dont know the difference etc.

I plan on buying my parts from newegg as always.

If anyone could come up with some motherboard and processor links that would fit right in and keep me from having to buy new RAM or anything that would be greatly appreciate.  Or if you see any other ways of upgrading that would be great as well.

Think I covered everything I needed to there, whew haha.

Comments

• gpettgpett Member Posts: 1,105
    If I were you... I would wait for another few weeks.  The intel "bearlake" P35 based chipset boards are already starting to show up at retailers. 

The advantages are: Support for DDR2 and DDR3 memory.  Support for processors that run at 800 or 1066 FSB.  Supposedly these boards are even better overclockers than 965P and are not memory strapped.  Newer north and south bridges for the motherboard so who knows what else is improved.

Thread at Anandtech

Thread about the microATX GA-G33-DS3R (micro atx version of P35) at Hardocp

So, you can get a motherboard now... and then have to replace it in another year.  Or you can wait a little bit and get the new motherboard wich will support new memory and new processors.  The new penryn based processors don't look to be the huge impact processors that" conroe" was when it was first introduced.  Even so... they seem to be a steady progression forward.  Penryn is the 45 nanometer process shrink of the core 2 duo wich will be available this fall.

So, waiting might save you another upgrade within the year.  Or pull the trigger and take advantage of some of the cheap hardware.  If I had to get something now it would be a 965P based motherboard, Core 2 Duo E6430 if I was going to overclock (or a E6600 if not overclocking), 8800 GTS, and 2X1GB DDR2 800 memory.

You said you wanted to use your memory.  But think of it this way, you can ebay your stuff for like $20 a stick.  Then you can buy a brand new 2X1GB DDR2 800 dual channel kit for under 90 bucks.  Memory is dirt cheap right now.
  • FlashGordanFlashGordan Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for that info, im not in severe need for an upgrade right now as I am only playing lotro.  So I think I will wait the few months before I upgrade.