Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Point and Click ~ Lazy Developers, we want WASD

axyrnaxyrn Member Posts: 55

If i see a game with point and click i am not touching it simple and easy.

Point and Click is the worst and unfun way to integrate character control into a game.

Your finger usually hurts after 2-3 days or your Mouse button is broken.

Point and Click feels so terrible unnatural that the games using it suck.

Silkroad, Archlord, Lineage 2, Shadowbane .... they are all Bullcrap

************************** W A S D + Space *******************************

is the only way for good action games.

I wonder how Half life with point and click would be or WoW,EQ, EQ2 and all the other good successful games.

In my experience only the looser games use point and Click while the good games have W A S D + Space for the big nice JUMP so many people love.

When i log into these Point and Click games, then i feel as if i am stuck and cant move.

Comments

• yanexyanex Member Posts: 24

nice point,

i never tought about it that way. but i feel that i can't move to.

in wow you control is awsom, you can use your mouse to move by using both mous buttons prest in, or W A S D.

you can olmost evade atackt there and make a good use of the arena were your fighting in.

i tought that acrhlord was realy cool game, but the movemend whas crap.

crappy game only have to kill monsters.

i don't know what mmorpg is fun....

• hadubnanohadubnano Member Posts: 82
    I prefer point and click movement in mmo games.

It always feels more tacical to me, and more precise.

In FPS games i like WASD, but i will not play a mmo WASD.  I hate that.

Lineage2 has WASD, its just the arrow keys.  I doubt anyone uses it because the L2

point and click movement is so precise. 

What really ruins movement IMO (and a sign of true cheap game dev):

- bad terrain modeling, so you get stuck, or cant move onto a

particular spot because of terrain errors.

- movement that is not precise, as in you see you are standing

in a place, but others see you a couple steps away.

Example of bad? Archlord & Rysom.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Action Games? They are MMORPG's, Not Action Games, thats why the games main focus is Point & click.

I pick Point & click any day of the week. If you mouse is broken after 2 or 3 days, then you seriously need to get a new mouse. I use a cheap mouse of 15$ and it NEVER broke down. in fact, none of my mouses ever broke down, and I use Point & click in most of my MMO's.
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    I feel exactly the same way about point-and-click as the OP. It makes the game feel "fake." I know you can't jump in Guild Wars for example, but being able to strafe left and right in order to dodge in-coming arrows and projectiles is a valuable elements in PvP as well as PvE. Not being able to do this makes me feel restricted and not involved in the game. When I play an MMO I want to be immersed in the world. Using only one hand makes me aware that the other is free all as funny as it sounds, distracts me. It also does hurt the hand after a while
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Originally posted by axyrn

Point and Click is the worst and unfun way to integrate character control into a game.

I wonder how Half life with point and click would be or WoW,EQ, EQ2 and all the other good successful games.
    In my experience only the looser games use point and Click while the good games have W A S D + Space for the big nice JUMP so many people love.
    When i log into these Point and Click games, then i feel as if i am stuck and cant move.

It has nothing to do with lazy developers. This is how these eastern games are made as their primary demographic likes it/is used to it.

I find the Point and Click in Lineage 2 quite exact. Sure you could use its arrow keys but it is cumbersome (I remember it being cumbersome in Archlord as well).

Now, if that is not what you are use to, sure, I can see an issue. But it works really well and one can get used to it.

Otherwise, what you are saying is that when you go to Britain people should drive on the "right" side of the road or that in some cultures, books should be read from left to right only?

These games are eastern games. There is not just one way that is "the best".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • eastsurfeastsurf Member Posts: 9
    i dislike point and click to im all for wasd. i always lose interest in a game or have none at all when its click and play. i was going to try this game but the point and click has changed my mind.. have fun all
  • ohyah007ohyah007 Member Posts: 16
    there is wasd in this game though
  • KrymsonSykkeKrymsonSykke Member Posts: 45
    For every ArchLord player out there you can use WASD for moving your character around the world.  I found this out yesterday when I started playing again.
  • Damge53074Damge53074 Member Posts: 95
    Yes, there is a WASD. I played WOW and ArchLord they both seem to move the same. Although WOW is filled with a lot more players than ArchLord it is still a great game constantly adding free updates such as maps, and whole new episodes
  • SpyhunterXSpyhunterX Member Posts: 1

In the future of  the mmorpg/action gaming world i hope they will be developing more games acting like point and click games.

lets say Gunz ,what you do is shoot, melee and a little magic in the sowrds. Now lets say you want it hotter like a point and click game (where you use lots of special effects by clicking the skills) , but still be able to move around with more excitements with fast paced action shooting and melee attacking+maging. So you want to cast a spell in that new style of gaming. What you do is buy a SKill just like in mmorpg point and click games but instead of pint and click the player looking stiff ,press a  button which was registered to the skill and vwola.

Example , you want to cast a beaming spell. go on front of person press 8 and there's that beautiful special effect occuring just like in a point and click game.

Game developers making it look so hard to program a well unique mmorpg/action shooter games with full world maps with high terrains such as a game as world of world craft or Runescape (Stupid Game) where you can be  just in one big map and do all the fun fast paced action shooting like gunz and world of warcraft mixed together. Or maybe they can just create a huge world with arenas where you enter and have PVP matches but moving around like you playing gunz and making special effects and hot maging skills like you in LastChaos or ArchLord.

If i had good programing skills and 3d modeling skills (which I do but not as high as a game developer )., I would try to make this game in no time.

But I'am still trying to make one. Ive been looking for volunteers with high programming and designing skills. So i could get started on making my game.

Well i just hope a developer read this and get my idea. Because !!!I JUST WANT TO PLAY WITH FREEDOM NOT POINT AND CLICKY!!! IT'S SO DAM EASY!!!!!!TO MAKE!!!

I'm not good with explanation and describing , but if you understand my feelings please post back , so i can see your feelings.

BTW i'm 14 and proud to be smart.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Alright, ill admit a lot of games seem to have gone to WASD and it fits them great. Lineage II, Archlord, and games like that all have point and click for a reason. Some people actually enjoy it, and it fits the style of gameplay that certain mmorpg has. Lineage II without point and click would be crap.... Seriously I played Lineage for like 3 years and still play it to this day, and the pvp would never be nearly the same with WASD mainly because it has so many different spells you have to use at certain times. Also WASD is cool in games like WoW where you have the ability to dodge traps and have to get behind people for certain skills. But you can tell that that game has to have WASD, and in no way are MMORPG's action games so dont bring in Half life or Gunz...

I personally prefer point and click and wasd in different games. Mostly point and click though.

• kraftwerk53kraftwerk53 Member Posts: 25

This game was so crappy I cant even remember if its the one I played or not. I got to like level 18 by grinding after completing the 4 crappy quests the game gave me. This had to be the worst mmo experience of my entire life.

www.loaland.com

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

And yet... That has absolutely nothing to do with this forum post. So maybe read the forum before posting on it?

• GikkuGikku Member Posts: 208

Diablo and D2 are point and click which is where my gaming began. Then on to EQ and then WoW  with some LotR where it was wasd, which I love. Having arthrtis in my hands the point and click after playing for some time causes me problems. The wasd as stated above gives you more control over your toon and is awesome. There is a setting in WoW that you can choose to use the point and click but I seriously doubt anyone uses it or if they do that it is more effective than the wasd.

It is true that you can use wasd in Archlord. However, it does not work like it does in the above mentioned games. The sw moves you forward or backward but the sd does not strafe or move you with precise control while running forward. Using them your toon goes left or right but not the same as it does in games that use wasd or arrow keys.

Then again there is a great deal of lag issues in Archlord and sometimes point and click is the only way to even move if then.

Archlord is not a bad game and has much to offer but there are numerous issues (lag, connection loss, disconnect while speaking with NPC to name a few) that once they are addressed and fixed will make the game much more enjoyable. I find it hard to spend money in the Chantra shop for items when using the return scroll I get disconnected due to one of the many bugs and come back it is poof gone and /sigh the long run back to where I was. This also creates much frustration.

I don't know if it is lazy devs or lack of knowledge but if other games can have an option to use wasd or click and point I sure hope Archlord soon discovers how this is done and can implement it in the game. This will make both type game players happy.

Gikku

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Point and click turns me off because it feels like I do not have control... When I click on the map (which happen to always be 3d with variations in heights) I cannot stand it when I have to KEEP clicking to move the map and get to where I am going.. I just find it soo pointless that way..

Even if they had an auto-run feature where all I had to do was HOLD the mouse button down and my character will continue going to where I point it.. I just don't see how anyone could see that as being "in control" of the situation, your characters move on what seems like 4 axis this way, because there is no real way to alter movement mid click, you just point, and click and in on static direction your character moves.. No strafe or feeling that you can control where he goes at anytime..

As for using skills with this setup? EASY! In most games with this setup the right mouse button turns on mouselook, where you can look around freely without any kind of pointer for skills.. Release the button and your mouse pointer interface reveals itself and you can click any skill you need.. Then if you are ready to look around and run just hold the right mouse button again and go with it. Its easy and it works...

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Originally posted by axyrn

Interesting post.  How many actual gamers out there do you actually think would prefer wasd over mouse click.  Conservative estimate here, but would say easily over 14 million play MMO's. Remember that this forum, like most out there represents much less that 1% of the actual players out there.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• Ben1778Ben1778 Member Posts: 33

To the OP,

I am left-handed and use the mouse in my left hand.   I prefer to use the mouse for turning and movement.  I use a combination of point-click  for interacting with the MMO worlds.   I am also a big fan of setting up my own custom keybindings since I play multiple games and like to have my binds be similar (if applicable).

You can still circle-strafe your opponents without WASD use.  I do.

Why would a game be any "looser" if they used a point+click style? 

Correct my vocab, but is misspelling the word "loser" when typing an insult at all ironic?

Remember to use "I prefer" instead of "People prefer" when trying to make broad generalized statements.

Also:  If you ever try any serious PvP, trying to turn using WASD will get you killed very quickly. 

• LunethLuneth Member Posts: 63

There is "WASD" movement iin this game....

BTW, point and click has nothing to do with lazy developers.

• marin274marin274 Member Posts: 6

A bunch of people have already said this

But u can use W A S D but what they failed to mention it isnt the most responsive and well working thing (i like click and keys so i dont really care but in this game i preffered clicking more to tell you the truth) and thats all i have to say

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

• dssmay10dssmay10 Member Posts: 2

I have no idea what you are talking about Archlord is right or not, but I will look for more to prove it.