Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Categories

PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

With so many new games coming out, I find myself wishing there was another helpful category to help separate them.

It could be a scale that rates a game on a scale ranging from "Bubble gum game" to "Indie game".

-- BUBBLE GUM -- These are the games designed and mass-marketed for enormous subscriber bases.  These games are perfect for juveniles or first-time MMO gamers.  This would be games such as WoW, LOTRO, COX, etc.  They are too enormous to police the chat trolls, spammers, gold farmers, and scammers.  They are games with over-simplified combat rules, things such as "seek and destroy" spells that can't miss, gear- and level-based pvp, etc.  These are great 'first-time' gaming experiences, but lack end-game content.

-- INDIE -- These are smaller-scale games with more focus on quality product, less tolerance for nonsense amongst it's users, and a higher standard of content, etc.  These are games with less focus on having a mega subscriber-base and no need to please the masses.  Game engines will be much more hardcore, with combat rules and content designed for adult gamers.  These are games with off-brand names that have the freedom to make a great game without outside influences from mega-names like "Star Wars" or whatever.

Obviously I have a bias, so the names I've chosen reflect that.  But a similar type of poll with different names would be useful on this site.  Recently games like LOTRO get the highest ratings, but it's a game designed for kids.  There is no reason LOTRO should get such a high rating without some kind of warning that it's designed for kids or nubs.  This category I'm talking about would help in this respect.

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

Comments

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    idiot. lotro is not designed for kids and nubs. the makers stuck to the mostly lore and designed in heavily for hardcore tolkien fans, you don't like a game you don't call it's players noobs.

My blog: image