Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

everquest 2

Is this game hard for a new player to get into? I just retired from WoW and have a pretty long break, want something a little less babyish and more hardcore endgame wise.

Comments

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    No, it's quite easy and you can solo easily if you cannot find a group. There's even a trial on the website, you can try it out.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• Negat1veNegat1ve Member Posts: 4
    It's not to bad me and the wife just started playing it. So far we can duo every quest that we have come across. I play a Fury and She plays a beserker. I would definatly download the trial though.
  • RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586
    More hardcore than WoW's end-game?

EQ2 is definately not the answer.  EQ1 is - however that is not easy to get into, and is quite old, but it has some amazing raid content - probably the best in the genre... but it will take you a long time to reach it.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Yeah, I agree with the guy above me.  If you want a truly soul crushing raid-centric end game EQ 1 is a much better choice than EQ II.  Half the zones in the EQ 1 you can't set foot in without raiding.  Sounds like you'd love it. 

You might also think of trying DAoC on one of the regular servers (not the classic servers).  You'll be a giant gimptard in end game PvP if you don't raid your way through the Trials of Atlantis (though I've heard that they recently made many of the encounters less difficult, so you may find it to be too "wussed out").  Another you might think about is FFXI.  Most classes can barely solo at all after about level ten.  There is almost no solo content whatsoever at higher levels.  My understanding is that if you don't have the very best raid gear by a certain level everyone looks down on you.   Not for those that lack spare time certainly.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
    Wanting a "hardcore" game that's easy to get into is usually a bit of a contradiction.

Some "hardcore" mmo's from the top of my head is Lineage 2, Eve, Shadowbane, and DAoC.

Some "easy to get into" ones is definately EQ2, but also CoX and GW.

It really depends on what you put in the term "hardcore" tho. Does it require a bunch of time, is it "hard", does it take a lot of research to be able to make a viable character, is the pvp unforgiving, and so on.
  • MmoseaotterMmoseaotter Member Posts: 163
    EQ2 is not very hard for someone to get into. The community is very helpful when it comes to newer people and the support for EQ2 has been pretty nice. It also helps because when you start your in a tutorial type island or city and it will teach you well. By the time you leave the island you will be well set on your way.

It also allows for tons of options, you can solo or group, craft or kill, just coast or be hardcore raider. The only way to truly tell if ya enjoy it is to try the Trials. Download the Fay trial and you can do both island trials and the Fay area.

Be cool to people, and try and stay cool that way you never have to regret making someone feel bad. Don't take what ya got granted because some people never get to feel happy. We get to play these great MMOs and surf a good site. Be thankful for what ya got and next time ya feel down imagine a fat sea otter waddling with a pillow and a night cap. Bam! smiles!