Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Vid card question

This is directed at those versed in computers (because I am not).  I woul dlike to upgrade my card to be able to play this game a little more smoothly. What would you suggest?

I have a ATI 9800xt 256 and 3 gig on ram.

My budget is about 300 usd.

Thanks

I shoot for the curve... anything above that is gravy.

Comments

• CognetoJoeCognetoJoe Member Posts: 446
    shop around for an 8600GTX or a top 7series from Nvidia. With the 8series though , you will have dx10 capabilities. Even the 8800GTS is coming down in price to, which pushes all the 7 series cards down in price. ATi in my opinion are no going to be able to out perform the nvidia cards in the future applications, again my opinion.
  • Is that AGP, PCI, or PCI-E slotted?

Also, what mother board and processor are you using?

Edit:

This is the card I have in my comp and it runs the game great.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2460769&CatId=1826
  • WantsumBierWantsumBier Member Posts: 1,079

Its a Dell 8300. Dont know the mother board and my processor is a pent 4 3.4 or 3.8 (can't remember) I's check but Lotr is up and running right now lol.

As far as the vid card question I don't know what PCI ect means.  I have 2 outputs on the back of the card if that helps. one blue and one white (cables) I'm such a moron when it comes to computers.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by WantsumBier

Its a Dell 8300. Dont know the mother board and my processor is a pent 4 3.4 or 3.8 (can't remember) I's check but Lotr is up and running right now lol.
    As far as the vid card question I don't know what PCI ect means.  I have 2 outputs on the back of the card if that helps. one blue and one white (cables) I'm such a moron when it comes to computers.
    Did a search on your existing video card and could only find an AGP version of it....Dell....hmmmmm.....it could be integrated into the Motherboard.  You really need to open up the case and see if you have an AGP port.

Edit: This page states an AGP Graphics slot....

http://www.trustedreviews.com/pcs/review/2003/11/24/Dell-Dimension-8300-3-0GHz-Ultimate-Christmas-Bundle/p1

So, you are looking at AGP video cards.....that makes it easier.

I know it is a card, not on the mother board (if that means the flat card with the fan on it) Just had it replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago, and a new mother board, and processor. Gotta love that extended warranty.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

If your computer is bought within the past 1-2 year it should have an PCI-e16x slot (or better yet read the documentations that came with your mobo). Most of the high-end video cards uses PCI-e16x because AGP is outdated. If you want a good 3D card I suggest an ATI Radeon X1900 XT or the newer Radeon X1950 XT both of those uses PCI-e16x and you will rarely find any good card nowadays that still uses AGP. Oh if you don't have a PCI-e 16 slot capable mobo I suggest investing one for it, they are cheap (I bought an Asus-tek one for less than $100 bucks). I know it's a pain in the ass to upgrade your 3D card and mobo at the same time but it's well worth it.

I'm gonna have to agree with namelessbob on this one....the nvidia 7950 is a very good card for the money.  Additionally, his link to tigerdirect is nothing but a good thing.  I have built numerous systems just using parts from that company.  Great company, the best prices on the net.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=318&CMP=ILC-FPM-VC

That link above is to their AGP video card section

I know it is a card, not on the mother board (if that means the flat card with the fan on it) Just had it replaced under warranty a couple of weeks ago, and a new mother board, and processor. Gotta love that extended warranty.
    same motherboard or different motherboard with the replacement?

What I'm getting at with this is if it's the same motherboard...it's an AGP port.  If they couldn't get the same motherboard to replace it with they would have to use a newer one and you possible have a pci-e port instead of the AGP

same.

Is there a way I can find out whay type i have?  I bought this comp about 3-4 years ago.

BTW thank you all for your input

• JPR1985JPR1985 Member Posts: 212
    if u have a 300$ budget, buy an ati x1950. Best agp card available.

same.
    Is there a way I can find out whay type i have?  I bought this comp about 3-4 years ago.
    BTW thank you all for your input

k...bear with me here.   Open your start menu (bottom left of the desk top).....click on the <RUN> option.  In the window that opens up....type in "dxdiag.exe"...then goto the display tab and see if it says anything about either pci express (pci-e) or agp.
  • CognetoJoeCognetoJoe Member Posts: 446
    right click on desktop > properties> settings >advanced > click adapter tab 

That will tell you what you have.
    Originally posted by CognetoJoe

right click on desktop > properties> settings >advanced > click adapter tab 

That will tell you what you have.
    yep....i have ran into inaccurate readings using that method before.  I am just in the habit of the dxdiag.exe....neither here nor there....

is that you mars?

Thanks all!

I will check when I log off.

Thanks all!
    I will check when I log off.
    kk.....determining the port you have is the MOST important thing.  I simply dont want to recommend something that won't work with your puter. 
    Thanks again,  I just wish i could upgrade my laptop also, but that is another sad tale.  I'm not looking forwad to playing on it for two weeks while at a training seminar.

Thanks again,  I just wish i could upgrade my laptop also, but that is another sad tale.  I'm not looking forwad to playing on it for two weeks while at a training seminar.
      Yes, I try to stay away from laptops due to their inability to due a major upgrade.  They do serve their purpose very well though.

I came across this web page that shows an AGP port and a PCI-E port pretty clearly.  If I were you I'd just crack open the case and take a look at the port your video card is plugged into.  That way you would be sure about which card you were shopping for. 

http://www.karbosguide.com/books/pcarchitecture/chapter23.htm

I'm on this like this because I have a friend that ordered a PCI-E video card from a retailer on the advice from someone at a forum site.  It turned out they had an AGP port in their computer.  The card had to be mailed back and a new one ordered.  No biggie I guess, just an inconvience.

Additionally you will find people like either Nvidia or ATI (The 2 video card chipsets on the market.)  Which one is better?  Couldn't tell ya....they both seem to work great.  It is a matter of personal preference.

Something to think about that was touched on in one of the earlier posts.  DirectX 10 is out.  Most computers are using DirectX9c, DX10 will be the next step in gaming graphics.  The thing is it's not just an upgrade of DirectX...It's a complete restructuring of the way the computer deals with the GPU.  This will eliminate alot of the bottlenecks that limit game graphics today.  The difference between DirectX9c and DirectX10 is astounding.

Now for the downside.....you must have windows vista and you must have a DirectX10 compatible video card.  A DirectX10 compatible card requires that you have a PCI-E video card port.  One of the above posts recommended you upgrade your motherboard for this exact reason.  All the new games will eventually be programmed with directx10 in mind.....it is inevitable.  Does that mean you won't be able to play the new games with your DirectX9c videocard....absolutely not.  The games will still use their 9c programming, you just won't be able to play them in all their glory.  Age of Conan is being programmed with DirectX10 in mind for instance.

This is a link with some info on DirectX10, the gfx difference is fairly substantial.

DirectX10

I do apologize if this further complicates your videocard purchase.  An informed decision is usually better than an uninformed one though.