Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn

13»

Comments

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147
    Please, discuss Roma Victor versus Ultima Online in an appropriate topic. This topic is about Ultima Online & Kingdom Reborn.
  • sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by psydex 

Again, you are wrong and not posting the correct information. EA bought out Origin in 1995 when the game first went into Beta. They had nothing to do with the creation of the game. I PLAYED the game the first year when it was launched in 97 and everything worked just fine. Why are you putting so much effort into lying?

psydex, you are wrong.

"Electronic Arts acquired Origin Systems Inc. of Austin, Texas, in 1992" - HighBeam Research

Of course, even though owned and funded by EA, Origin and legendary game producer Richard Garriot, aka Lord British, had creative control over designing the original Ultima Online and that is likely one of the reasons why the game was so good!  However, on March 30, 2000, Electronic Arts caused Richard Garriot and most of his developers to leave Origin Systems and Ultima Online.  EA had replaced them with their own developers, Stellerex and Sunsword, who produced, designed and released the disasterous UO: Renaissance shortly thereafter on May 4, 2000.

You are also wrong to state that "everything worked just fine" in 97.  It's obvious you DID NOT play, or did not play extensively enough to be aware of all the lag,  issues, and bugs.

Stop littering the thread with lies.

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by Praetoriani

I am of course a total newbie to Ultima Online - but the game you guys describe seems pretty close to the ruleset of the Siege Perilous server. What's wrong with playing there?

The ongoing changes to Ultima Online starting with UO: Renaissance can indeed be compared to what happened with Star Wars Galaxies, but even more drastic. Major rule changes in the middle of a game are unfair to existing players, regardless of the game you play.

Siege Perilous, released in 1999 is closer to the original UO game design produced by Richard Garriot and team and was an outstanding design when first released, way back eight years ago, however it has been wrecked in a very similar manner to the other shards and hardly resembles classic Ultima Online anymore. EA has pushed most of every regular shard expansion and most publishes, that were designed for the regular shards, onto Siege Perilous:

1. Housing with forcefields around them that players bounce off of.

2. Vast empty expanses of housing areas and land from expansions aimed solely at luring players into a purchase.

3. And many other carebear features like instant auto looting that pops everything back into a looter's pack;

4. Instanced looting which unnaturally prevents looting of a dead body or creature except for the person that did the most damage.

5. Pet summoning balls to teleport pets anywhere in the world instantly with no travel risk.

6. Pet resurrection so that powerful pets have infinite lives.

7. Firebeetle forges that are basically portable forges that you can ride around on.

8. Vet rewards that give players an infinite supply of blessed mounts.

9. Infinite NPC supplies regularly spawning in quantities of a thousand at at time, destroying the player economy and demand.

10. Invulnerable NPCs that cannot be harmed under any circumstances.

11. NPC dialog and interaction has been removed making NPCs lifeless objects.

12. Red is just a color rather than a "murderer" and they can enter any town unharmed by guards.

13. The bounty system and rewards are gone along with the ability to decapitate bodies.

14. Blessed items that you never loose when defeated.

15. Bags of sending that send loot straight to your bank with no risk or travel necessary.

16. Blessed runebooks that allow a player to teleport anywhere in the world, or teleport out of battle with no risk of loss.

17. Uber gear, weapons and armor that make most crafted gear worthless in comparison and the game more item based.

18. Item properties like Lower Reagent Cost that can eliminate the need for reagents or carrying them and casting with no risk.

19. Endless amounts re-released, re-hued or re-gifted rare items, essentially destroying their value and a major aspect of the game.

20. Absurd Soulstones that give players the ability to store their skills on magic stones and swap skills in and out of their character.

21. Out of place items like giant cartoon like snowmen, giant snowflakes, bandana wearing anime-like fox friends, neon green platemail and pink swords, sunglasses, etc.

22. Ridiculous garbage like flip-flop armor sandals, robots, ridable rainbow colored dogs, giant purple ridable beetle containers, elves and even ninjas.

I could probably sit here all day typing a list of how the integrity of the original Ultima Online virtual world has been destroyed and the game ruined. Keep in mind these are just the changes on the Siege Perilous shard, which is supposed to be the advanced server, the one that many are mislead into believing is similar to classic UO. And that's pretty much what the UO community ignorantly tells players asking for a classic server - "go play on Siege," yet Siege hardly resembles anything like classic UO anymore.

Trust me, Siege Perilous is almost as cheesy as the regular shards and very little like the original classic Ultima Online game design that so many players miss and long for.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by sempiternal

Originally posted by Praetoriani

I am of course a total newbie to Ultima Online - but the game you guys describe seems pretty close to the ruleset of the Siege Perilous server. What's wrong with playing there?

The changes to Ultima Online with UO: Renaissance is indeed very similar situation to what happened with Star Wars Galaxies, but even more drastic.  Major rule changes in the middle of a game are unfair to existing players, regardless of the game you play.

Siege Perilous is closer to the original UO game design produced by Richard Garriot and team and was an outstanding design when first released, however it has been wrecked in a very similar manner to the other shards and hardly resembles classic Ultima Online anymore.  EA has pushed every PvM expansion and most publishes, that were designed for the regular shards, onto Siege Perilous:

1. Housing with forcefields around them that players bounce off of.

2. Vast empty expanses of housing areas and land from expansions aimed solely at luring players into a purchase.

3. And many other carebear features like instant auto looting that pops everything back into a looter's pack;

4. Instanced looting which unaturally prevents looting of a dead body or creature except for the person that did the most damage.

5. Pet summoning balls to teleport pets anywhere in the world instantly with no travel risk.

6. Pet ressurection so that powerful pets have infinite lives.

7. Firebeetle forges that are basically portable forges that you can ride around on.

8. Vet rewards that give players an infinite supply of blessed mounts.

9. Infinite NPC supplies regularly spawning in quantities of a thousand at at time, destroying the player economy and demand.

10. Invulnerable NPCs that cannot be harmed under any circumstances.

11. NPC dialoge and interaction has been removed making NPCs lifeless objects.

12. Red is just a color rather than a "murderer" and they can enter any town unharmed by guards.

13. The bounty system and rewards are gone along with the ability to decapitate bodies.

14. Blessed items that you never loose when defeated.

15. Bags of sending that send loot straight to your bank with no risk or travel necessary.

16. Blessed runebooks that allow a player to teleport anywhere in the world, or teleport out of battle with no risk of loss.

17. Uber gear, weapons and armor that make most crafted gear worthless in comparison and the game more item based.

18. Item properties like Lower Reagent Cost that can eliminate the need for reagents or carrying them and casting with no risk.

19. Endless amounts re-released, re-hued or re-gifted rare items, essentially destroying their value and a major aspect of the game.

20. Absurd Soulstones that give players the ability to store their skills on magic stones and swap skills in and out of their character.

21. Out of place items like giant cartoon like snowmen, giant snowflakes, bandana wearing anime-like fox friends, neon green platemail and pink swords, sunglasses, etc.

22. Ridiculous garbage like flip-flop armor sandals, robots, ridable dogs, giant purple ridable beetle containers, elves and even ninjas.

I could probably sit here all day typing a list of how the integrity of the original Ultima Online virtual world has been destroyed and the game ruined, but I would be sitting here all day.  Keep in mind these are just the changes on the Siege Perilous shard, which is supposed to be the advanced server, the one that you wrongly claim is very similar to classic UO.

Trust me, Siege Perilous is almost as cheesy as the regular shards and very little like the original classic Ultima Online game design that so many players miss and long for.

I never knew why you were so bitter about the changes to UO..... but now I understand why.......certainly not the same game.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164
    Well, I actually love everything about ULtima Online, and used to subscribe uintil they turned the PvP off, I would probably go back and play if PvP was on, and I might try it out after the update hopefully theyll give like a one week trial or something
  • tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    i would rather play a 2d game that isnt broken, rather then a game that looks a lil bit better and broken.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -