Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how would armor less mmo's work? could it work?

I really like the universe of the anime bleach or even naruto... and would like an mmo someday doing something like that... kinda tired of the tried and true middle earth type scenes....

so could an mmo without any armor or armor items work? would it be fun? that way u can pick the awesome costume you want and keep it as is for the duration of the game... it'll identify you as well.. of course u can change your look any time

and in the place of getting armor... all u do is get more powerful and gain abilities like the bankai in bleach.. and reach new levels of power.. to the point where ur walking in a town and people will go wow..... thats a captain(or equivalent im just using bleach as example here)

and the main item would probably just be your sword or weapon of choice.  but no crap like chest armor, leg armor. blah blah blah.. all  u do is gain powerful attacks. 

since its not static fighting.. the fighting would probably look like soul caliber (yep bad ass fighting) dodge, parry, attack. the works!  and  as you gain more abilities or level up abilities you can use them while fighting, like powers in a normal 3d fighting game.

not only do u gain power moves... u also gain knowledge of combos.. maybe some captains will have the ability to do a 50 hit combos.

and a bar to see how much u can block/endure an attack. example: a captains blocking bar will hardly take any damage while blocking a weak opponent, but a captain's 1 hit could cut a weak guys block in one hit and leave him open for attack after that. like the blocking bar in 2d figthing games... i think it was in SF alpha 2...

yeah.... so back to my question, would anyone be interested in this type of mmo where there is no armor.. or in order to succeed you pretty much need millions of items and rare items to be fun? would this be a hit?

Comments

• pwncoreypwncorey Member Posts: 56

see CoH / CoV ?

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by pwncorey

see CoH / CoV ?

exactly

the system could work very similar to that, the unique builds and abilities are something the ninjas and super heroes have in common

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897
    Supposed (unless i read it extremely wrong) TCoS (the Chronicles of Spellborn) will be "armorless". meaning that its there just for looks and nothing more.
  • cadebelocadebelo Member Posts: 54
    They've said in Spellborn, armor is mostly for looks, an what matters is the types of runes an enchantments you put on them instead.

• dwarflordkingdwarflordking Member Posts: 265
    hmmm city of heroes and villians eh?? awesome i guess i overlooked that..    with the ultra customizable options i guess i can be one of the captains in bleach huh????? awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

so the costumes in there are strictly visual? is there rare costumes or costume options?

is it real time fighting?

and lastly .... is there rare super moves that u can have?? and can u be super powerful where hardly anyone can beat u
  • MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

9Dragons works similar to this only the fighting is your typical MMO grind.

At any rate, there is no armor in 9Dragons. You get clothing, and that clothing will have a number of pockets (I think 4 max, but not sure). Higher end clothing will also have buffs on it such as health regen, vitae ("mana") regen, speed boosts, and so forth.

Trinkets are items that are placed into the pocket slots of your inventory, so the more pockets that you have between your shirt and pants/shorts the more trinkets that your character can use.

Trinkets basically do the same things that higher end clothing does, and they can also add a bonus to your chance to critical hit, dodge critical hits, and so on.

So there's no armor, but there are stat boosts.

• JimmyMcCallJimmyMcCall Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by ricefarmer

hmmm city of heroes and villians eh?? awesome i guess i overlooked that..    with the ultra customizable options i guess i can be one of the captains in bleach huh????? awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

so the costumes in there are strictly visual? is there rare costumes or costume options?

is it real time fighting?

and lastly .... is there rare super moves that u can have?? and can u be super powerful where hardly anyone can beat u

there is special costume parts that have been given out over the years, contests holidays and the like, but no special rare moves, other then power pool powers all characters in a given archtype have access to the same exact powers.  as far as making a "bleach captain" who knows, post a screen if you do... specialy if you make the 11 squads vice captain....you'd be so cute

Playing:I can't say
    Waiting:Tabula Rasa
    Played:M59,UO,EQ,AO,SWG,L2,CoX
    SB,EQ2,WoW,VG:SoH,GW,AC,AC2,
    DAoC,DDO,DR,EVE,FFXI,PSO,RO,
    RFO,RoE,MxO,H:EoI,N2,Imagine

• StanlyManlyStanlyManly Member Posts: 181
    I'm sure it could work for some, but not for me.  I'm far too much of a loot whore.  I like getting new armor, weapons, and items, and then getting even more powerful armor, weapons, and items that look even cooler, etc, etc.

Equal opportunity troll.