Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMORPGs out there with good PvP?

SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

I'm so sick of all these MMORPGs that are so dull and repetitive. So far I have played UO, Diablo 2, Phantasy Star Online, AO and DAoC. I have played the betas of RO and L2. I have played the free trials of AC2, Shadowbane, and A Tale In The Desert.

I have not found any of these games to have enjoyable PvP. I absolutely can't stand level grinds, camping spawns for items, and spending a long time traveling and finding groups. Running around PKing in L2 was fun, but there were too many penalties and the leveling was tedious. DAoC has a nice organized system, but it takes for EVER to get to 50, my highest char was at 39, way too hard to find groups in my opinion. I bought Trials of Atlantis last Friday and one week later I'm about to cancel my account, for the third time. Shadowbane seemed promising, but the lag, glitches, difficulty in transportation, difficulty in character creation, low population and mediocre graphics turned me away from it after five days in trial.

Does anyone know of a good PvP game to play, that does NOT have a disgusting level grind and is actually some amount of fun? I was shocked to see that the original AC was ranked like number 2 or 3 when I first came to this site, and I heard it has a PvP server. If there was a trial going on I would definetely try it. What do you guys think?

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

Comments

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295
    Sounds like you have had a fair experience with PvP games.  I am sticking with Lineage II for my PvP fix, hoping I can withstand the terrrible grind to the higher levels and take part in some fun clan wars and castle sieges.  I think DAoC has a good PvP system, but it can be hard to find groups.  Are you in a guild or clan?  In DAoC, when I played for the 1st year or so, I wasn't in a guild and didn't do much PvP.  Now I am in a good guild and it is easy to find guildmates to group with and get into PvP.  Same with Lineage 2.  I am now in a clan and thegame suddenly became so much more fun.  I think the PvP system in L2 has a lot of potential (there are some things that could be improved), and the game will be a good PvP game in the high levels, if you could just stick with it.  I could be wrong, but from what I am hearing from my clan mates who are high level, they say it like a different game as you get higher, with much more to do.

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

I was in a guild in DAoC, but not in L2. In DAoC I played Hibernia on Percival, which was a roleplay server. Everyone was so mature and dignified on that server that it was hard for me to talk to people and actually have some fun, I mean the kind of people who will chastise you for saying 'omfg'. I was a healer class which was pretty boring, and I didn't have the patience to level up that char from 39 to 50, so I could /level in a new char at 20, maybe a damage caster or something. I'm sure that if I suddenly found myself in a cool guild on a high population server with a level 50 Eldritch or Runemaster, I would have enjoyed the game and stuck with it for a long time. But alas, I am impatient. image

L2 was fun soloing until I hit 20 and became a Dark Wizard. The XP was slowing to a crawl that really got on my nerves, I couldn't find a clan to join, and I was just fed up with how repetitive it was. I don't think castle sieges will be all that good, it'll pretty much be just zerg vs. zerg with nothing to do besides swim through loads of lag and people screaming on shout chat.

I loved Shadowbane because, at least from levels 1-14, you could actually enjoy yourself while grouping and just killing mobs, and unlike all the other games I've played ( except for maybe D2 ) you don't glance at your XP bar and sigh after every single kill.

Are you saying you play both DAoC and Lin2 right now? What servers? :P I played Lin2 on Kain, but on the last day of open beta I gave my stuff away to a friend.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Sounds like MMORPGs aren't for you. Everyone has a level grind in one form or another. You will not get away from that.

As for Asheron's Call PvP? AC's Darktide server is not about PvP. It is about PK. There is absolutely no level limit on who can kill who. Level grind on DT is probably harder than elsewhere because you not only have to grind but you have to find an area where you can do it alone. That is unless you don't mind being killed by higher levels every 20 minutes and gaining that lost XP back.

There are guilds but it still boils down to whether you belong to the Blood guild, or one of it's few allies, or whether you belong to an anti-Blood guild.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Diablo is not a mmorpg , it is a hack&slash with online option . Good PvP? , i would recommend Lineage 2
    , you got open PvP there , such like Shadowbane , and very good mmo FFP Planetside .

I would say that PvP on Lineage 2 is not all that open. Sure, you can attack anyone you want pretty much whenever you feel like it, but the penalties are so heavy that it's not worth doing. When you go red there is no safe place to go, everyone will kill you on sight, you will lose XP with each death until you level down all the way to level 4, the chances of dropping an item when red are very high so you will lose all your equipment really quickly, and it's pretty hard to turn white again, especially with people killing you all the time. No one is a PK unless they are level 4, don't normally play that server, or are quitting the game soon.

It seems to me that PvP in MMORPGs is dead. MMORPGs are now geared almost entirely toward those who are perfectly satisfied with collecting loot and leveling up, no matter how tedious. In most of the MMOs that I've come across, your character's effectiveness is determined by its equipment, and a lot of that equipment is rare and must be camped for. UO and AO are prime examples of this, and from what I hear EQ is like it too. Many of the expansions coming out for MMOs are really lame, adding a few new models, new lands that have no point, and new superpowered items that are appealing to those who would camp for hours to get them. ( Shadowlands, Trials of Atlantis, Age of Shadows is what I'm referring to here ) Newer MMOs like FFXI and City of Heroes are being released having no PvP at all. The typical Everquest powergaming clone, at least for me, is becoming very stale very fast.

</rant>

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

In other words you want to be able to kill anyone at any time you choose. And get their stuff. But you don't want to be killable by anyone at any time. And have your stuff taken. That isn't PvP. It isn't even PK. Stay away from Asheron's Call's Darktide server .

Simple solution. Stick to First Person Shooters and stay on servers that allow you to cheat. Of course you better have the best latency on the server or you'll still be ganked.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

You shouldn't have given up on Shadowbane so quickly. Leveling is very fast. And for the next week they are doubleing exp and gold rates.

Once you find a good guild, you will always be able to find a group and some PVP action. Be sure to check their forums at chronicle.ubi.com on how to make your character. Its easy to gimp your character

I also quit DAOC because the level grind was too much. I am much happier with Shadowbane. The sever pops on Vengence and Mourning are over 1,000. So chose one of those servers. Mourning is the Role play server, but Vengence has the most action

• LILLIPPA328LILLIPPA328 Member Posts: 331

Hey,i have the same problem as you.Your best bet,follow me.Wait for Guild Wars,or Dark and Light.

Just trust me on this.

**Like to talk about Video Games?Go to Veiwers Pick Forums...

http://viewerspick.proboards35.com/index.cgi?

• threetwosixthreetwosix Member UncommonPosts: 85

You may want to try SWG.  As much as I hate SOE, I think SWG would be your best bet.  There are no "levels".  Nearly all armor and weapons are made by other players so there really isn't any camping for drops (outside of krayts and crystal droppers).  Any server will do.  PvP has come a loooong way since release.  I really enjoyed the PvP after about 6 months of patching.  Give it a whirl.

Good Luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

I really like Shadowbane actually, it's just that so many things bother me about it that I couldn't imagine paying for it. For the outdated graphics it has I can only get anywhere from 15-60 FPS on 2.5 Ghz, 1 gig of RAM and a 128 meg video card. Transportation takes forever, you spend too much time running ( through empty space! ), it takes way too long to load when you die/repledge, and it seems there is no way to res so that those who die can avoid the long load time and run. So for me, it was run, fight for a few minutes, die, load forever, repeat. Then you'll be running and suddenly it seems you've run into an invisible wall. Five seconds later, a tree fades in in front of you, explaining why you couldn't get past that spot. I love everything about Shadowbane, but they really need to redo the client. I have a 12 Wizard on Corruption by the way, I'm still playing my trial now.

Wow, I never even considered SWG. I'll look around and see if there's a free trial. image Do you still play, and what server?

Never mind. SWG is still $50 at three stores that I've checked so far, after it being out for over six months. That is absolutely disgusting. I'm not paying that. SOE must really be the scam artists that people make them out to be.

• OaksteadOakstead Member Posts: 455

Just have to wait for Dark and Light.

1. Experience gained for both PvP and PvE

2. Dynamic loading on one worldwide server cluster so no lag on the server side for large battles. It is a huge world!

3. PvP with a purpose - gain territory with resources and defend your realm. Fighters get to live off the taxes generated in the territory they control and the loot they gain from MOBs.

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

Well in pretty much all MMORPG's, except for a few like A Tale in the Desert, there is going to be a huge leveling grind before you can experience fun in PvP. However:

Though it isn't out, Guild Wars, which by technicality is a CORPG (Competitive Online Role Playing Game), is going to be very PvP oriented, I mean the name of the title says it all, and from what Alpha Testers have told us, the game does rely on strategy actually, not just level grinding so you can be the top of the charts in PvP. A low level actually has a chance to kill a high level, provided they know what they are doing. I suggest you read about it at www.guildwars.com , fansite: http://theguildhall.itwasgg.com . Quite cool, and on top of that, there is going to be a Public Demo of the game from May 12th to May 14th, so you can test it out and see how it is. As of its release date, the only thing that we know is 2nd half of 2004, that's what they have been saying. Hope you enjoy it.

New PR rep for the North American Version of RYL
    www.planetwidegames.com

Yeah, both of those games sound really cool. I'm not sure how Guild Wars is going to get by without a monthly fee.. how will they keep the servers up? I somehow have the feeling that a lack of a monthly fee will mean a lack of updates and customer support. But oh well, it sounds like a very original game and I'll definetely try it.

*goes off to read about Dark & Light*

• TheFooTheFoo Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Personally, I dont think leveling should be as tedious as they make it. Cant *any* company come up with something original? Sadly, I think they are too worried about bombing. Instead of original they just copy something that worked, tweak this and that, release it. I know my tastes are shared by others, so why doesnt at least *one* company make something different? Go out on a limb and hope to be the *next* big MMO. Not just the next MMO that breaks even. :(

• 0Avatar00Avatar0 Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Tymora
    Sounds like you have had a fair experience with PvP games.  I am sticking with Lineage II for my PvP fix, hoping I can withstand the terrrible grind to the higher levels and take part in some fun clan wars and castle sieges.  I think DAoC has a good PvP system, but it can be hard to find groups.  Are you in a guild or clan?  In DAoC, when I played for the 1st year or so, I wasn't in a guild and didn't do much PvP.  Now I am in a good guild and it is easy to find guildmates to group with and get into PvP.  Same with Lineage 2.  I am now in a clan and thegame suddenly became so much more fun.  I think the PvP system in L2 has a lot of potential (there are some things that could be improved), and the game will be a good PvP game in the high levels, if you could just stick with it.  I could be wrong, but from what I am hearing from my clan mates who are high level, they say it like a different game as you get higher, with much more to do.

you have taken the words right out of my mouth.....image i'm staying with L2 image and praying that they fix the penaltys for pk's, a bit to harsh on the poor pkers image

Blah blah blah......

• threetwosixthreetwosix Member UncommonPosts: 85

Sorry, I don't play SWG anymore.  I had a few accounts but, after being reminded of how bad customer service at SOE is, I cancelled them.  SWG would be top of the line, IMO, if it weren't SOE territory. 

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Well after level 25 in shadowbane, people will be able to summon you to the camps. So you won't have to run anymore.

I turned off the sound in the game. It runs a lot smoother for me that way.  The graphics aren't the greatest, but gameplay is more important than graphics.

• crockcrock Member Posts: 556

planetside
    isnt real mmorpg but real pvp)
    swg dunno..u need to choise right char ..wich isnt nerved or gimped

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106
    AC1 darktide was the most fun I ever had in an MMRPG. Wasnt a high level, wasnt in a huge guild. But had a small group of medium level vets, and we raised hell on every large guild out there. In fact the most fun was being a rebel and wiping out a whole town somone like Blood would be in, was really great.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979