Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The revolving doors of mmorpgs

The state of the gaming community is absolutely awful at the moment, god knows why.

There seems to be a pattern with every game released, everyone hypes themselves up, expects something revolutionary, its like people lives there lives, asperations and goals through these games. It goes to show how much influence mmorpg have a a gamers life. The passion these games provoke is imense

VG's having its bashing some fair, some not, but I think it will win out in the end because its infact a darn good game.

LoTR is hyped at the moment as greatest thing since sliced bread is already being slated at boring and simple, if thats the case it sure wont keep customers very long, there will be good sales in the beinging, high pops then a big drop as people loose interest and move on.

Move on .. to AoC, on to WAR..... and then it will all start again, expectation which game developers will lucky to meet. Disapointed players, peoples machines, blame, bitterness, passion.

Most reasonable games will maintain a healthy population, I doubt we'll see 8 millon again like WoW, well maybe Blizard's next mmorpg, they seem to have a formula that works.

I remember the words of Brad, there maybe flaming and complaints, but when it all goes quiet is the time to worrying. I think VG is getting so much attention good and bad that its going to be here for a long time with a healthy following.

The funny thing is even the mmorpg rating for VG is starting to recover now at 7.8.........

Anyways, live and let live, enjoy your own guilty pleasures.

Thank god Im not a developer of a mmorpg must be seriously stressful.

Comments

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

You have a good point about hype, a lot of games get hyped pass what they can offer.  VG was a bit different.  I followed this game from the start and a lot of cool things where promised by the developers, so the hype came right from the game developers and not the community.

I’ve had a chance to play a few of the other MMOs coming out and they are offering everything the developers said nothing more.  VG is going down fast and its because of itself, and this isn’t easy for me to say because I was a fan boy.  I played in beta, I stood up to the haters, I bought into everything they said the game would be and I got it when it came out.

This game isn’t bad but it isn’t good.  It does nothing different and doesn’t stand out in anyway from the games already out.  

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

The MMORPG world has been stagnant for the past few years. Other than WOW, most other releases were buggy on release, incomplete and unfun for a lot of folks.  Because WOW was so successful, many of the current games such as LotRO are trying to emulate it so they can get a piece of the pie.

Meanwhile, many of us are tired of the PVE, fantasy -quest based forumula that started with EQ and was perfected in WOW.  We want to see something different, like a new, fun Sci-FI game, or something with an open, sandbox type world, or has FFA PVP with full looting. 

But...not many games on the horizon seem to be breaking new ground.  In fact, some titles that were first supposed to be revolustionary seem to be making decisions to change the basic gameplay to more closely emulate... WOW.

Each successful game elevates expectations from the player community about what the next game should have, and it must exceed its predecessors or be deemed a boring clone (like LotRO frequently is slammed for)

Despite some of the lag issues caused by too many people trying to play  it, WOW was actually one of the better launches at the time. (only recall COH/COV being better) but now that Turbine put out LotRO, it really raises the bar.

Back in the day, we'd accept games that were incomplete, full  of bugs, and just not quite ready for prime time..(EQ 1, DAOC, AC all come to mind) because they were new..and we had few alternatives.

But now, we're being asked to leave our fully polished games and when we get one that doesn't make the grade we get upset and vent our anger out on it.

VG's big and fatal flaw was to violate those expectations and deliver a game that "most" people will not enjoy. Does not mean they won't have a loyal following, heck, might even crack 2 or 3 hundred thousand subs (just my opinion, I know) but it will never be major market leader...

which is fine... as long as they can make money and keep adding new content..and retain subscribers (and gain some new ones) then the game has succeeded in its goals.  They don't all have to be WOW ( but the investors would prefer they were)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• chbizchbiz Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by mmcguire2

You have a good point about hype, a lot of games get hyped pass what they can offer.  VG was a bit different.  I followed this game from the start and a lot of cool things where promised by the developers, so the hype came right from the game developers and not the community.

I’ve had a chance to play a few of the other MMOs coming out and they are offering everything the developers said nothing more.  VG is going down fast and its because of itself, and this isn’t easy for me to say because I was a fan boy.  I played in beta, I stood up to the haters, I bought into everything they said the game would be and I got it when it came out.

This game isn’t bad but it isn’t good.  It does nothing different and doesn’t stand out in anyway from the games already out.  

Luckily most new prospective players wont be clouded by unfullfilled promises, this is only a small band of die hard VG followers.

But the logic your portraying is confusing me, your basing VG on the type of game that was written down, when? .. back in 2002? Shouldnt you be giving an honest opinion on how it plays today? I've got a feeling you might not be able to do that, I mean I could be wrong, but did you play beyond beta? or or currently playing?

In reality most things don't turn out as we expected, thats life in general.

This band of diehards followers who became disillusioned may move on one day, or may even play again and find that its a good game, time will tell.

They probally head to AoC and WAR, like I said the cycle will start all over again.

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

I did play past beta, I have only been out of the game for a month.  I like to think of myself as a hard core MMOer.  I started MMOs before EQ, I wanted to play this game because it said it would bring back the adventure.  Like I said this isn’t a bad game it just isn’t offering anything different.  To me it was nothing more then a WoW rip off that tried a few different things.

I hope to come back to the game, I dropped $60 plus a few months subscription fee.  I’ve read SoE is taking over and that doesn’t fill me with confidence

• chbizchbiz Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by mmcguire2

I did play past beta, I have only been out of the game for a month.  I like to think of myself as a hard core MMOer.  I started MMOs before EQ, I wanted to play this game because it said it would bring back the adventure.  Like I said this isn’t a bad game it just isn’t offering anything different.  To me it was nothing more then a WoW rip off that tried a few different things.

I hope to come back to the game, I dropped $60 plus a few months subscription fee.  I’ve read SoE is taking over and that doesn’t fill me with confidence

Well the SOE is all rumour with no real substance, people like a good rumour, personally I can't see it happening in the near future.