Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review (by: Ten Ton Hammer)

Zakke87Zakke87 Member Posts: 82

http://www.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=603

I think it was a pretty fair review, it brought up both good and bad aspects of the game in a balanced manner.

Please share your thought about it!

Comments

• CeolasCeolas Member Posts: 11

I have to say that that review is much, much better then http://www.roma-victor.com/community/bb/viewtopic.php?t=19527&highlight=, this one showing http://www.giantrobeast.com/images/roma_victor_08.jpg this review.

It is much fairer and takes into account the better side of Roma Victor, the last review was a half assed one, in my opinion. I met that guy who did the first review in game, he wasn't around much at all.

The 2nd review, this new one, is a much more diverse and dynamic review, going further into the games aspects. It doesn't explain it fully, but that isn't expected. It explains some good and bad points; a balanced arguement.

for the new review!

• jdagjdag Member Posts: 48
    I'd like a review of this game from mmorpg.com
  • KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

Overall, the tentonhammer review seems very accurate and fair.  The guy appears to have no agenda and just told it like it is.  Refreshing.

He made quite a few comments about how tough it can be for a new player.  He's right.  Ample help is available though from the veteran players.  New players need only ask.  I would recommend that new players post in the forums first what they want to do in the game and get advice on how to budget their stats before they even create their character.  So many jump in first and have to remake their character after a couple hours of playing and finding out they've made some mistakes.

I don't agree with his demand that there be an in-game map.  In the spirit of realism, nobody in the 2nd century is going to have a GPS receiver telling them exactly where they are.  There are plenty of maps provided in the RVWiki and it takes time, but one can start to recognize landmarks such as bends in the rivers, certain trees, the slope of the land, etc. in order to get from place to place.  Just like real life though, you have to spend the time to learn.  It's one of the challenges of this "game" and can be fun.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

Server stability high ???????????? He must be joking.

Terrific Community ???????????? I can only assume he somehow managed to avoid the spawn campers ,gankers, and exploiters the game so embraces.If so, he was VERY lucky.

Overall though, not a totally unfair review.Though a bit overforgiving.

• Zakke87Zakke87 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by tkobo

Terrific Community ???????????? I can only assume he somehow managed to avoid the spawn campers ,gankers, and exploiters the game so embraces.If so, he was VERY lucky.
    Well, it's kind of true. The servers almost never crash anymore which is the stability. But if you count in lag, it's worse, but still there's only lag when there's several players involved in combat usually and at peak times.

Compare our in game community to ANY other mmo, in which other community do you actually know and greet all others who are living in the same area as you? That's pretty unique to RV in my opinion.

Good point Zakke.  The word "community" has TWO meanings in Roma Victor whereas most other MMO's would have only one.  In Roma Victor the "community" could literally mean those specific people who live near you and in which you interact with regularly.  The RV community at large though does have some issues.  Hopefully the tough stand RB took with the latest round of exploiters will clean things up a bit.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    I think it's easy to have a good community when there are only about 50 active players. Let's be realisitc and keep things in perspective.

i think it's more like 150 to 200 who log on at least once a week.  Hard to know though with settlements now in about 12 places spread across the big map.
  • genericname1genericname1 Member Posts: 45
    I think it's a pretty fair review, some minor things like server stability, wich though mush improved isn't always as good on the logging onto it side... the community is indeed one of the best things is in RV, I also agree with the statement someone made about it having two different meanings in this game.. overall a 5 is about right, and 5 isn't really good or bad in the realm of things, most games are overrated, with mediocre games being given 6 and 7 out of 10 in most reviews.

the hard line RB are taking isn't a hard line at all btw, banning a small proportion of the players who commit the crime is rather weak IMO, but yeah, that's life, defenitely right on about the game, only players specifically looking for exactly this kind of game need apply, whatever kind of person they are, if they're looking for that gameplay, that time period, be it to gank or "spawnkill", they should defenitely play, there's nothing wrong with ganking people really, just killing the enemy.

I'll be back!
  • CeolasCeolas Member Posts: 11

Who are you in game, btw? Is there maybe a reason you know and loathe spawn camping and gankers?
  • genericname1genericname1 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Ceolas

Who are you in game, btw? Is there maybe a reason you know and loathe spawn camping and gankers?that would probably be my reign of terror... hey, meiny, you can vouch for me, I'm not all that bad of a guy, am I?