Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever had a brush with someone famous?

I was curious if anyone here had any brushes with celebrity. Doesn't have to be an outright conversation, just stupid things, like being at a urinal next to Mike Tyson. Here's mine:

I lived in Orlando years ago. One of my roomates was big into the local bands, always hanging out doing roadie like activities, always bringing people through our appartment. They all blured together to me. One time there was a woman and some people in our living room area when I came down for a bite to eat. He introduced the people, the girl's name was Jenn or something like that, don't remember the other names. It was the latest band he was hanging out with, he had mentioned before they had some kind of S&M thing on stage, or whatever. It was probably the seventh or eight pack of odd looking folks I'd encountered in my house. The conversation consisted of mostly 'hey, how's it going, cool.' They were off, I was eating a sandwhich.

Years later, I'm hanging with a friend and looking at a CD booklet thingy sitting on his desk. There's a woman on the cover that looks incredibly familiar. It's driving me crazy until I realize that was the woman I met way back when in the appartment. I was not familiar with the level of fame the band had, either then or now. However, I did indeed meet the lead singer of the Genitorturers. I don't really care so much because I'm not really familiar with their music, but some people I tell this to go nuts and ask me all kinds of questions about it. And I tell them, I said hey, and had a sandwich.

Comments

• albinofreakalbinofreak Member Posts: 449

I once met Chuck Palahniuk. He's the guy who wrote Fight Club, but it was a book signing so I dunno if that counts.

I also live by that wrestler dude Mankind (Mick Foley), so sometimes I see him around. One of my friends is a big wrestling fan, and we saw him at a Blockbuster. My friend was like "Holy crap! Its Mick Foley!" and he was kinda starstruck. The poor guy was like in his sweatpants and with his wife and his kids were in their van, and I was like "He's just a normal guy... leave him alone dude" and Foley was like "Thanks kid!" and we went about our business.

I also live by Dee Shneider from Twisted Sister. I went to high school with his son, he was in the grade two years below me. I never encountered him in person, but I've seen him driving around. He drives a really ugly truck.

I dunno any of these people count as celebrities.

• AzathothAzathoth Member Posts: 357

Why the hell does it matter?  They're just like you.  Pain, love, joy, addiction.

Who cares?

Cartman has a big fat ass!

• albinofreakalbinofreak Member Posts: 449

The countless millions of Americans who are obsessed with celebrity culture?

• noname12345noname12345 Member Posts: 2,267

I've met Jeff McBride, Eugene Burger, and Paul Harris who are all huge juggernauts in Magic. They've written books, been on Worlds Greatest Magic, and many other shows so you've probably seen them perform on TV.

I went to McBride Magic School in Las Vegas which was extremely fun. They always have special guests there like Penn & Teller, Lance Burton and in my case Paul Harris. On the last day of the school the whole class went to McBride's house and partied. McBride and Eugene did some performances and we all basically had a lot of fun.

• AzathothAzathoth Member Posts: 357
    Originally posted by albinofreak

The countless millions of Americans who are obsessed with celebrity culture?

Well, pardon the fuck out of me. :)

Cartman has a big fat ass!

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Ive met the woman who played the Oracle (first two movies of Matrix), Alex Trebec, Johnny Cochrane, George Bush, Bill Clinton, Sally Field, Ty Pennington and Robin Williams. That's it for me.  Loved the oracle though. Met her in a bookstore in Baltimore, MD

I said "Oh my gawd, you're the oracle!"

she replied, "So, that's what I've been told" and winked at me.  Too bad she died a few months later :(

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• noname12345noname12345 Member Posts: 2,267
    Originally posted by Enigma

Ive met the woman who played the Oracle (first two movies of Matrix), Alex Trebec, Johnny Cochrane, George Bush, Bill Clinton, Sally Field, Ty Pennington and Robin Williams. That's it for me.  Loved the oracle though. Met her in a bookstore in Baltimore, MD
    she replied, "So, that's what I've been told" and winked at me.  Too bad she died a few months later :(

Nice resume there. How do you meet so many famous people?

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

This person isnt really worth talking about, but about uhh 8 or 9 years ago I went to WCW Nitro with my mom and dad, and we saw Bret Hart in the parking lot before the show started. My dad asked him to give me an autograph and he said he was in a hurry, my dad just said ok thats cool, whatever. Well....AFTER the show, we saw him again on the way to our car, once again...my dad asked him. He gave Hart the "hey man, the show is over and all, how about giving my kid an autograph" deal, once again Hart told him no he was in a hurry. Thats when my dad called him a dick head. The end.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• grimweepergrimweeper Member Posts: 2,047

Not me but a friends brother did this and i thought it was pretty cool.  A local band was playing and in order to watch them you had to donate a can of food or $2 and according to my friend, his brother gave them a can and they told him thanks this will be our dinner tonight and they were being serious too.  Now there a mainsteam  band that makes millions (forget their name and genre ill ask him and post later).  Crazy what some people will do just for their dreams.  Anyway i thought it was a pretty cool story.

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

I used to write for a Rock and Roll newspaper, and then later wrote for a heavy metal magazine, so I've met lots of famous musicians. I've had beers with Ozzy after a press conference, spoken with Warrel Dane from Nevermore on the phone several times, spoken with Timo Kotipelto of Stratovarius on the phone, interviewed the (then) kids from Silverchair, etc. etc. etc. I also played a couple of games of pool with the guys from Korn.

Most of the people I have met are only famous if you like heavy music. :)

I did meet DMX one time, he was staying in the bungolow next to mine. To be honest though, I had no idea who he was until I saw him in a movie a couple of years later. Bruce Willis was in the same club I was drinking in when I visited my friend in Orlando, but we only caught a glimpse of him. :p

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

I was walking with my uncle that lives in Marin county near San Francisco, and I met Sean Penn. He was riding like a little kid bike, wearing a trench coat, and thick sun glasses..during the summer. It was comical, I told him he was a great actor, and we went on with our lives.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Well I met Kirsty Alley about 13 years ago when I worked for Wal-Mart.......sold her 2 13" color tv's. I met John Travolta and his wife about 15 years ago when I worked for Radio Shack.....Sold him about $800 worth of toys and other gift items at Christmas time. The toys he and his wife donated to underprivalidged kids in the area. When I was just a kid I met Karl Malden and Zero Mostell at a softball picnic of all places. And in the mid 70's when I was on a vacation with my parents going through Georgia we ate at a Denny's and Burt Renolds, Sally Fields and Jerry Reed were having lunch in a booth across the resturant from us. They were in the middle of filming the first Smokey and the Bandit movie but we didn't even realize who they were till they got up and left and walked right by our table. I've met a lot of minor celebs as well but those are the highlights.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

My latest encounter was Bill Murray in the Charleston, SC airport the previous week.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

"More amazing than the time Micheal Jackson visited your house to use the bathroom?"

"Ok, Micheal Jackson didn't visit my house to use the bathroom. But his sister did!"

Sorry, that just pops in my head when talking about famous people.

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

Originally posted by AlexAmore

Originally posted by Enigma

Nice resume there. How do you meet so many famous people?

Worked at an Airport selling Museum Artifacts as a second job when I was a priest. It's amazing all the famous people you see much less get to talk to

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by IcoGames

My latest encounter was Bill Murray in the Charleston, SC airport the previous week.
    I would have loved that. He's my favorite comedian

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118

I have a semi-famous relative.

My uncle is William Morgan. He used to be the surgeon for the Boston Red Sox, and he did the operation on the whole "bloody sock" thing during the 2004 World Series when they won, and he got one of the Championship rings too. Too bad they fired him afterwards though, he was on the team for 15 years.

But, he was well liked, and occaisonally some sports star shows up during a barbaque at his house, so I've met a few others, like Manny Ramirez, Pedro Martinez, and Jose Rivera showed up once, too.

Aside from that though, nothing.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

One time Chuck Norris came to my town while I was away.

There were no suvivors.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• MordacaiMordacai Member Posts: 309

I delivered intel reports to George Bush (Sr). Also, talked with Dick Cheney while taking a break from my work for a smoke to get fresh air while watching George fish of the back of the boat.

Also drank Tequila shots with Kevin Budrow (Lead Singer) and a couple other guys who I can't even remember who were all in Quiet Riot in my home town. They were on tour and their bus broke down or something and they did like a one-night only gig for a 10 buck  cover charge at a local bar back in 1988. Course that's back when you only had to be 18 to drink so I was out with my sister and her boyfriend partying it up.

Also sat next to some actress and her daughter in first class on a flight to Boston. The kid annoyed the hell out of me, she wouldn't shut up.