Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Havn't played in a long time...

And I wanna start up soon, but, as any other "coming back" topic, I got questions.

I hear that ToL just messed the game up, sence all the artifacts and master levels, etc. Well, this feedback makes me think "Well, should I play classic servers if it is THIS messed up?". But, does this mean that Classic servers also don't use the other expansions (Cata, DF, etc)?

I have been playing WoW for the past few years, and I love raiding, and all that PvE stuff. I also love PvP. I know I can PvP til' my little heart is content, but is there any "end-game" PvE qualitys that are fun, that I could still do good PvP?

I love being a runemaster, and mostly any other spell class, but as a newbie, is there a class that can level fast, and isn't too hard to learn? (and tips on that class(es) would be nice, or a link to class guide)

And the expansions, Are some worth getting? And what expansions give what? Do I have to buy them from stores?

What are some good guilds that I could possibly join? Mature, nice people

When I first started playing, I remember that the newest expansion was catacombs, soon quit, then played again with the 10 day trial, and LOTM just came out. I played a Wizard up to, about 28ish, then a Paladin to about 17. (No real question, just stating, incase you might want to know to answer questions or somethin')

My friend, who him and his parents played DAoC (He had a bonedancer at max level, then his parents had other stuff), and he said that RvR is kinda like a triagle, like rock-paper-sissors. Is this true, to some exstent? I know it doesn't matter what realm your on, you can still kill the other realms, but I always thought about the "Triangle" thing.

I never really had any idea what the heck professions were about, where/when/what to start, what stuff does, etc. Mind explaning?

And guilds, are they mostly just a social group of people who like to talk, or are they mostly PvP/PvE guilds?

What are some fast ways to level? I hear that BGs are good, but when I think of BGs, I think of WoW BGs, where its just a quick PvP game, where you collect "tokens" from winning, and you can buy items with those tokens.

So, i'm a newbie who wants to play for fun, I can do hardcore gaming. I love PvE and PvP, I love gameplay, how the game looks, feels, and just how the people are. Is Dark Age of Camelot the game for me, or am I wasting my time?

(Sorry if I sound like im repeating questions, giving useless info, spelling/grammar misstakes, etc)

Comments

• WerppaWerppa Member Posts: 211

okay... let's try to answer:

I hear that ToL just messed the game up, sence all the artifacts and master levels, etc. Well, this feedback makes me think "Well, should I play classic servers if it is THIS messed up?". But, does this mean that Classic servers also don't use the other expansions (Cata, DF, etc)?

Everything else is included except ToA

I have been playing WoW for the past few years, and I love raiding, and all that PvE stuff. I also love PvP. I know I can PvP til' my little heart is content, but is there any "end-game" PvE qualitys that are fun, that I could still do good PvP?

Yes, atleast I have enjoyed the endgame content, both PvE/RvR.

I love being a runemaster, and mostly any other spell class, but as a newbie, is there a class that can level fast, and isn't too hard to learn? (and tips on that class(es) would be nice, or a link to class guide)

www.classesofcamelot.com is all you need, Ive recommended this in few threads before too. I'd say that necromancer is easy to level up but it sucks in RvR. Good for farming though. It can be decent in RvR too but its nothing spectacular in there

And the expansions, Are some worth getting? And what expansions give what? Do I have to buy them from stores?

it's free up to Catacombs. Darkness Rising and LotM aren't free, you have to download or buy them from stores. Basically: Darkness Rising: Champion levels, champion weapons, advanced mounts. LotM: Huge new dungeon, new race and new class, new items, five additional champ levels

Don't know, you need to be active and find a guild yourself.

My friend, who him and his parents played DAoC (He had a bonedancer at max level, then his parents had other stuff), and he said that RvR is kinda like a triagle, like rock-paper-sissors. Is this true, to some exstent? I know it doesn't matter what realm your on, you can still kill the other realms, but I always thought about the "Triangle" thing.

I don't know what you mean by that

I never really had any idea what the heck professions were about, where/when/what to start, what stuff does, etc. Mind explaning?

Aw, would be too long to explain, maybe someone else could do that :)

And guilds, are they mostly just a social group of people who like to talk, or are they mostly PvP/PvE guilds?

You can find them all in Daoc. Usually it's mix of all the things you mentioned

What are some fast ways to level? I hear that BGs are good, but when I think of BGs, I think of WoW BGs, where its just a quick PvP game, where you collect "tokens" from winning, and you can buy items with those tokens.

Yes, BG's are good, NF is good and Darkness Falls is also good because of the 200% xp. Bg's aren't just quick PvP games and you don't gain any tokens from there. It's just RvR with lvl and rp-caps and in smaller areas.

So, i'm a newbie who wants to play for fun, I can do hardcore gaming. I love PvE and PvP, I love gameplay, how the game looks, feels, and just how the people are. Is Dark Age of Camelot the game for me, or am I wasting my time?

It might be for you or not, I can't really say. It doesn't take so much time to DL the game, install and play it, does it? ;)

Hopefully I was of some help for you

"I actually cook my meat with nothing but my burning hatred for vegetables"

• VistaakahVistaakah Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by Hellgen

And I wanna start up soon, but, as any other "coming back" topic, I got questions.

When I first started playing, I remember that the newest expansion was catacombs, soon quit, then played again with the 10 day trial, and LOTM just came out. I played a Wizard up to, about 28ish, then a Paladin to about 17. (No real question, just stating, incase you might want to know to answer questions or somethin')

(Sorry if I sound like im repeating questions, giving useless info, spelling/grammar misstakes, etc)

If you buy the 5th Anniversay Edition you get all the expansions. I used to play and love this game but hardly anybody plays and since most of Mythic development team is over working on WAR online i don't see any future at all in DAOC regretffully. This is still the best game of its type but, I can't see running around a ghost town most times.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    I love when people say something like "Most of the development team is working on WAR."  Almost everyone that was working on DAOC before still is.  They did not switch to WAR.  They have hired a substantial amount of new people to work on DAOC as well as WAR.  So they actually have a larger development team for DAOC than they did a year ago or even before WAR was announced. 
  • VistaakahVistaakah Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by JulianDracos

I love when people say something like "Most of the development team is working on WAR."  Almost everyone that was working on DAOC before still is.  They did not switch to WAR.  They have hired a substantial amount of new people to work on DAOC as well as WAR.  So they actually have a larger development team for DAOC than they did a year ago or even before WAR was announced. 

If this is the case then WHY isn't DAOC showing substantial increased population numbers.? I would love to come back and play to a full bout of PVP every day . Right this minute game population is 1/5th of what it was when i was active in DAOC. Again i would love to come back to the game and i still may because of boredom and the lack of any potential games in the near future. DAOC RVR is better then anything on the market to date, yet it fails to recover from the mass exodus to WOW when it came out. And WOW PVP sucks.. The truth is Mythic as a company's focus now  is WAR. Thats the future and thats what many bored gamers like myself are waiting and ready to commit money and time to when it comes out. WAR will far exceed any subscriber base that DAOC ever had. I think in its prime DAOC had 50-60k+ playing worldwide prime time when it was at its peek. I'm still glad to see people playing DAOC. I loved the game and am not bashing it  but, I am speaking the truth. WAR is going to take the mistakes made by Mythic in DAOC and not make those same mistakes again.. As an investor i wouldn't be wiling to commit many assets to a game dieing a slow death so that my view on EA/Mythic investing any more in a game heading in the direction that it is.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I used to love DAoC. It has under gone many small changes that in the end has piled up into major things that just don't make me eager to play anymore. The most exuberant changes were those made to casters. Each small boost, and each small nerf to other classes has led to casters being out of control.

Casters outnumber every other class by a large number. There are entire groups that are nothing but casters, and they rule. Banshee, warlock, theurg, sorc are seriously, stupidly overpowered. There is a reason there are less than 10k users online at peaktime now. DAoC is done. The RvR is lame now. Its nothing but a 5 second nukefest if that. Its not even RvR anymore. No realm pride, just a bunch of whores who sold out running around trying to gank each other.

• WerppaWerppa Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by brostyn

I used to love DAoC. It has under gone many small changes that in the end has piled up into major things that just don't make me eager to play anymore. The most exuberant changes were those made to casters. Each small boost, and each small nerf to other classes has led to casters being out of control.

Casters outnumber every other class by a large number. There are entire groups that are nothing but casters, and they rule. Banshee, warlock, theurg, sorc are seriously, stupidly overpowered. There is a reason there are less than 10k users online at peaktime now. DAoC is done. The RvR is lame now. Its nothing but a 5 second nukefest if that. Its not even RvR anymore. No realm pride, just a bunch of whores who sold out running around trying to gank each other.

FFS Brostyn, you should really take some time and play daoc again because it seems that you have played daoc last time in 2002 or something. casters are now the ones that are outnumbered by tanks and hybrids and healers. Majority of the casters aren't overpowered anymore, it's actually rather easy to kill them and I haven't seen full caster group in ages.

"I actually cook my meat with nothing but my burning hatred for vegetables"

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I agree with Werppa,

go play the game before you say things like that and portentaially scare away people who are genuenly interested in the game.

At least on the classic servers the casters are not as numerous as they used to be.  It's more of a tank/hybrid/healer situation with the obligatory archer packs running around taking potshots at unsuspecting people caught offguard.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-