Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Character Transfer?

Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
I know it's been said over and over again but it's pretty annoying just thinking about it. I've overall put 976 hours into GW and I'm pretty annoyed but i know people (not naming names) who've played GW 3000-5000 hours believe it or, got every skill under the sun, progressed all their chars. through all 3 games. Now all that hard work is going to nothing when GW2 is coming out, and furthermore they'll be closing the GW server closely after GW2 comes out? I mean I really appreciate the fact that Anet are keeping the franchise monthly fee free but I don't really want to start from scratch when gw2  comes out. Forgive me if I'm being ignorant but I'm quite confused.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

Comments

• arstevensarstevens Member Posts: 31
    No no, they won't be closing the GW server when GW2 comes out.  How else would we get special things through the Hall of Monuments?
  • SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

First of all, there are no plans at this point to close any of the GW1 servers. Secondly, some titles, rewards, and weapons will go through to GW2, so don't give up on GW1 yet.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Right thank God for that lol.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

If I remember correctly, GW2 is supposed to take place hundreds of years after the events of GW:EN. If that's the case, then it just doesn't make a lot of sense to be able to transfer the characters over since they'd be long since dead. There's also potential changes to the basic engine to consider. If the basics get changed too much, then the current characters won't be able to fit into the new format, being either super powerful, or completely worthless. Too hard to say just yet since GW2 beta is slated for '08, though.

And, like they said, it's not like GW1 is going anywhere.

I'd personally like to have a fresh start with a new game. It's no fun to start a new game with data loaded from a previous game, makes everything way too easy. And if a game isn't challenging, then what's the point?

Still taking a wait and see approach to GW2 in general, but I'm starting to get a good feeling from it.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Technology wise it will not be possible to transfer your old characters over to GW2.  The only thing that can be transferred are titles through the Hall of Monuments. GW2 will be a brand new game with brand new graphics and features. It is gonna be hella fun !
  • PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    "f I remember correctly, GW2 is supposed to take place hundreds of years after the events of GW:EN. If that's the case, then it just doesn't make a lot of sense to be able to transfer the characters over since they'd be long since dead."

Doesn't Factions take place several hundred years prior to Prophecies? Off-topic, but still...
  • last_exilelast_exile Member Posts: 196

ehh no I dont think factions took place 100 years later tyria and cantha begain trading 100 years before thinku mite have got that mixed up or I may be wrong

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

Why would it make any sense whatsoever to take your GW1 characters into a whole new game? Did SOE allow you guys to take EQ characters into EQ2? Probably not. With the differences in timeline, it just doesn't make sense. GW2 will also be an entirely different type of game (more of an actual MMORPG) and they're not shutting down GW1 until the day comes when no one plays it. You can still play GW1 all you want. Who knows? You may not even like GW2 so you'll be happy staying with GW1 anyway?

• arstevensarstevens Member Posts: 31

Timeline issues:

Factions is actually during the time right after the events in Prophecies.  The events that happened on Cantha that caused all the ruckus of turning the landscape into the Amber Forest and Jade Sea was caused 200 years ago.  The events that you play through in the campaign are current, in between the storyline timeline of Prophecies and Nightfall.

--==--==POSSIBLE SPOLERS!!!==--==--

So...

1)  Prophecies.. two years ago during pre-searing, Charr invade, destroy Ascalon, Orr gets blown to high heaven.  People from Orr happened to be tainted, and are sent to Abaddon's realm.  Two years later, more present time... you, the hero, follow the storyline and eventually end up killing the Mage that caused the destruction of Orr.

2)  Factions.. maybe about a year after the events at the burning isles Mhenlo is called back to his homeland in a plea for help in a possible plague outbreak.  Come to find out that the events that happened Two hundred years ago come back to haunt the land, and the man responsible for the current formation of the land is now on the rise of ressurecting himself into a human form.

3)  After the events in Cantha, something else 'catches' your hero's eye.  A problem arise in both the Canthan and Tyrian's main city port, and you end up having to take care of it.  The problem isn't as bad over in Tyria, but hits harder over in Cantha.  You end up picking the sword ( or staff... daggers.. you're weapon of choice ) and fighting them off.  Being used to challenge and adventure, you go to the source of this problem, Elona. Nightfall, the latest campaign, is about a year (?) after the events of Factions.

Thats the current timeline thus far.

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by Thorsnes
    Doesn't Factions take place several hundred years prior to Prophecies? Off-topic, but still...
    Negative. Shiro was killed that long ago, yes, but the actual events take place shortly after (or slightly before, depending on which game you played first) Prophecies.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

How would you transfer a character from an older game to a new and different game? There are design and tech issues, you know.