Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wht Class Are You Guys

OxmondOxmond Member Posts: 15
Out of all the classes wht do u think is the best...wht should i be??

Comments

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    There is no such thing as "best" class.

Each profession and each combination of professions has its role, its pros and its cons. Same goes for skill templates.

Personally I play:

Necromancer/Mesmer

Necromancer/Assassin

Necromancer/Paragon

Ranger/Warrior

Assassin/Necromancer

Monk/Elementalist

All offer a different style of play. I enjoy some more than others (could that be Necromancers? ;) ) but each is effective in its own rights.
  • 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Agreeing with the "there's no best build" idea:

My favorites:

Mesmer/Anything - (personal favorite is anti-melee build)

Ranger/Mesmer - (personal favorite is caster interupt)

Elementalist/Mesmer (personal favorite is echo nuker)

I truely don't enjoy warrior/sin/monk builds...I have not made a rit/paragon/or dervish yet in the almost two years, I think I have collected 8-10 monk skills...

Find where you are comfortable on the "field" (front/middle/back) and make a build that allows you to do that.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Also jumping on the "No best" bandwagon. But, I've got some favorites:

Ranger/Warrior has been a passion of mine since the game went live. Lots and lots of options for both Ranged and Melee builds, as well as a number of farming build potential. There are two rather powerful non-standard R/W builds that come to mind for PvP (The ViM Trapper team build, and the Bunny Thumper GvG/HoH build). R/W's also have a very large number of movement speed self buffing skills, making them a good choice for speed running or for Flag Running.

Necromancer/Mesmer is another very versatile class, but where they really excel is in hexing and cursing. Both classes have a wide variety of health degen skills, brute force trauma skills, and many more subtle skills. While this particular combination isn't as well suited to direct interruption as compared to a Me/N, this variation is better for overall DPS. This is the class combo you would use for a SS/SV build. The Echo skills from the Mesmer line simply add a great deal to the already powerful Necromancer curses.

Elementalist/Ritualist is something new I've found to be quite fun to play with. Because of the massive energy max an Elementalist can have, this allows them to use more of the very expensive Ritualist skills. Ritualist also gives you a few hard resurrect skills, which is never a bad thing. With a bit of patience and some good timing, you can bring out a very great deal of spike damage in a short period of time.

Warrior/Necromancer is also quite humorous. Take along skills that are powerful but have drawbacks (like Quivering Blade, if this skill is blocked, you become dazed) and the Necromancer skill Plague Signet to transfer those bad conditions to your target. This one is quite stable, and can be very fun to use.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• AxeRiderAxeRider Member Posts: 3
    I perfer warrior or monk because in my opinion, they are the leader of the team.
  • SunseedSunseed Member Posts: 19
    I'm sure the veterens of the game have several alts by now, as for me my main is a monk.
  • TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

For you the best way to go would be to start out simple. W/Mo with a sword or an axe... a res of some sort, 5 to 6 attack skills and a speed skill. Stay within your healers spell range, and never run off solo.

When you play enough to figure out there is no best build and it is all dependent on where and what you're trying to accomplish... come back here and say "what do you guys think about this skill combo, to accomplish this task?"

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    If you want to play the most sought-after character in the game, then Monk is the answer. Since monks are healers/protectors and the backbone of any party, you will always be welcomed with open arms. By choosing to be a monk you also choose to get blamed for pretty much anything that can (and usually does) go wrong during a quest or mission, since your job is to keep the other players alive. I think this applies for most games. "With great power comes great responsibility."

With that said, my main character is a Warrior. Being the frontline/tank is generally a bit more laidback.
  • VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Yep, monk is the single most needed character class in the game, but is certainly the most stressful. Don't play that class lightly is all I can say.

That said, I think they're an incredibly fun class to play as and are quite varied in their ability.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Take a smite monk into RA for some real fun times... people are supportive in RA.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Originally posted by Theutus

Take a smite monk into RA for some real fun times... people are supportive in RA.
    We usually try to offer out positive and useful suggestions...this is not really in that realm...lol...trying to get the poor person killed like that.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• Chase05Chase05 Member Posts: 113
    Currently experinmenting

Ranger/Elementalist

Ranger/Monk
  • SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

Well, FWIW, I have 2 of each profession except monk, (I have 2 accounts) so having played everything at least twice, here are some of my favorite builds:

Assassin/Warrior. Wild Blow + Wild Strike = no more annoying stances on foes. And with 16 APs on Dagger Mastery and 13 APs on Critical Stikes, A/Ws are very quick killers, too. No self-heals on this character, so I do need healing and condition-removal support, which is why I prefer to play these with Hero healers. They don't miss.

Mesmer/Ritualist. OK, Mesmer is a great primary for almost ANY seconday because of fast-casting. What you sacrifice in damage from your secondary, you make up on volume. Playing a fast-casting Channeling Rit is a lot of fun, as is playing a fast-casting SS/Empathy nuker (Me/N), and fast-casting echo fire nuker (Me/E). Don't expect to get a team as a fast-casting Me/Mo, though. Mesmers make horrible healers (no divine favor).

Ranger/Elementalist. Barrage + Conjure Flame/Frost/Lightning = excellent spike damage on a massive scale. Second best Ranger spike class: R/Rt with 12 APs on Channeling. Barrage + Splinter Weapon FTW!

Channeling Ritualist. No secondary you say? The Channeling Rit doesn't really need one! Excellent spike damage with good energy recovery. Fun to play.

Command Paragon. Like the Channeling Rit, the CP doesn't even really need a secondary, and like the Ranger and Warrior, doesn't suffer "gimpiness" from AP spreading. My CPs have 13 APs on Spear Mastery, 12 on Command and 12 on Leadership. A Command Paragon is the Assassin's, Ranger's and Warrior's best buffer, because CPs use shouts instead of enchantments (which can be stripped and shattered) or hexes (which can be smitten and removed). Fun to play and tough as nails, too.

Monk/Ranger. Monk is the only profession of which I have only one (when you're a monk, most people expect you to heal or potect. I like damage-dealing). I play this combo as a smiter using the pet to deliver Balthazar's Aura to the target. Funny as hell to watch big bad bosses running from my pet tiger named "Stimpy" when I cast BA on him. :)

Necromancer/Mesmer. Spiteful Spirit + Empathy + Reckless Haste + Barbs + Mark of Pain = grab some popcorn and watch the baddies kill each other and themselves. There are areas in all three games where you'll find a minion master practically useless. If you have a Necro, get a second scar pattern for the head and put a rune of Superior Curses on it for those areas where an SS/Curse Necro rules the day.

Dervish/Anything. Heart of Holy Flame + Undead foes = Deader undead foes (and very quickly, too). Dervishes deal massive amounts of holy damage to summoned foes and the undead, so if you're heading to battle where a lot of undead hang out, bring your Dervish. And one more thing: stripping or shattering a Derv's enchantments in battle is a good way to get your melee teammates killed. Besides the Assassin, Dervish is my second favorite melee class.

Elementalist/Monk. Searing Flames or Meteor Shower? When the bad guys are bringing pea-shooters to the fight, I'm packing Nukes. Fire nukes, that is. Add Mark of Rodgort and have your teammates pack fire damage weapons, and you can burn everything in sight.

Warrior/Monk. Best combo of a boring class. Personally, I'd rather let someone else tank.

Hope this helps.

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219
    Proud mesmer with over 3.7 mil exp
  • nxgshadownxgshadow Member Posts: 1
    Ive always been an elementalist ranger, Or and elementalist monk.

Ive had my elementalist arcane law since the origional guildwars entered beta, and he is still going strong
  • shanevanshanevan Member Posts: 1
    My favourite is hexer Me/N i love him :P
  • UploadUpload Member Posts: 679

I usualy got the main tank role on me so W/* is what I prefer. A warrior is also suprisely good for solo farms

Originally posted by lightblade

Proud warrior with over 14 mil exp, all skills unlocked, great titels, and more!
  • xankriegorxankriegor Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I have a W/Mo, R/Me, D/Mo, and a A/*

My current fave is the D/Mo :)
    Originally posted by sven101

I usualy got the main tank role on me so W/* is what I prefer. A warrior is also suprisely good for solo farms

Originally posted by lightblade

Proud warrior with over 14 mil exp, all skills unlocked, great titels, and more!

And I thought you said "great titties"

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

There's no "best". My favourite class would be Elementalist/* though.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    The character I am must using now is a:

Paragon/Warrior: The build I have design for this combination is sort of a Defensive Passive Offense. I place protection skills upon my allies. This protection skills while giving a hp regen while it recharges everytime a shout or chant ends on the person, also burn out enemies surrounding the person. While I boost their armor and use shouts to give energy, eliminate conditions, burn enemies and make skills cost less.

Its a medium-hard build to use because you have no way of knowing if an ally just lost a shout or echo or chant(Anet still doesnt make an icon from Shouts, Chants and Echos like hose of Hexes, conditions or Enchantments). Also this build lacks power from the user, no points for high spear mastery and the weakness for this build is a mesmer or necro shutting down my ability to get adrenaline or use shouts, chants or echos. Also this build those not sufer from lack of energy.

"There's no "best""

Actually, that's a bit of an oversimplification. There are "best" builds for given situations and foes. For instance, a Dervish with Avatar of Balthazar and Heart of Holy Flame will just about 1-shot enemy undead and spirits. Dervishes are the anti-Death Nec and Spirit-bomber profession. However, the thing that makes a Dervish strong against these builds makes them weak against Curse Necs (envenom enchantment) and other foes that are heavy on Hexes and degen.

A fire nuker (Firestorm/Meteor Shower) isn't much use in places where Mesmers and interrupting Rangers abound, but get them in a mission like Abaddon's Mouth and they're way better than a minion master.

Skills are the same way. There are "best" skill sets (builds) depending on the situation. Trapping Rangers are practically worthless against casters but can own melee foes, whereas I'll take my Degen/Disrupt Ranger against casters all day long (and Conjure/Barrage against tightly grouped melee, like in Tombs).

Oh well...falling asleep at the keyboard. More later.

Originally posted by Serling

"There's no "best""
    Actually, that's a bit of an oversimplification. There are "best" builds for given situations and foes. For instance, a Dervish with Avatar of Balthazar and Heart of Holy Flame will just about 1-shot enemy undead and spirits. Dervishes are the anti-Death Nec and Spirit-bomber profession. However, the thing that makes a Dervish strong against these builds makes them weak against Curse Necs (envenom enchantment) and other foes that are heavy on Hexes and degen.
    A fire nuker (Firestorm/Meteor Shower) isn't much use in places where Mesmers and interrupting Rangers abound, but get them in a mission like Abaddon's Mouth and they're way better than a minion master.
    Skills are the same way. There are "best" skill sets (builds) depending on the situation. Trapping Rangers are practically worthless against casters but can own melee foes, whereas I'll take my Degen/Disrupt Ranger against casters all day long (and Conjure/Barrage against tightly grouped melee, like in Tombs).
    Oh well...falling asleep at the keyboard. More later.
    1. Monk smiting can hurt undead just as good as Dervish.  So your build is NOT the best.
    2. Abaddon's Mouth have lots of daze, so your "nuker" is definitely not the best.
    3. Trappers have Smoke Traps to daze casters, so they're not worthless against casters.  Melee foes have mending touch to recover from traps.  So it's not "own"ing.

"There is no best" is a true statement, as nothing is GW is absolute.  Everything is debatable.

"Monk smiting can hurt undead just as good as Dervish. So your build is NOT the best."

I play both a Smiter and 2 Dervishes. Trust me when I say this: the Dervs do a lot more damage - holy and otherwise - than a Smiter. Have yet to see a Smiter 1-shot any undead foe. My Dervs can. A Smiter is still primarily a support class. Just look at how a Smiter's skills and spells are set up: long recharge times for most of them with the ability to cast on others (BA/SoH/JI). Smiters can do damage, but also buff the damage of others.

Dervs are primarily damage, pure and simple. For this reason alone, a Dervish will outdamage a Monk. Didn't think something so obvious could be in dispute, but there it is anyway.

"Abaddon's Mouth have lots of daze, so your "nuker" is definitely not the best."

Wow, dude, do you have a reading comprehension problem???? Look at my original quote:

"A fire nuker (Firestorm/Meteor Shower) isn't much use in places where Mesmers and interrupting Rangers abound, but get them in a mission like Abaddon's Mouth and they're way better than a minion master."

Furthermore, Eles have glyphs that make them impervious to daze and interruption. Why else do you think people want nukers for that mission so badly when trying to get into the fortress or when they have to kill Willa and her companion boss?

Eles ARE best for Abaddon's Mouth when you need to do a lot of damage quickly. SS Necs are a close second. Again, though, you're completely missing the point: what would be better for busting into the fortress in Abbaddon's Mouth: a team of trappers or a team of nukers??? If you answer Nukers, then we agree that "best" is completely relative to a given foe and situation. No one profession is going to be best all the time, but some are going to be better than others at least some of the time.

Again, I wouldn't think this would be an issue of contention but there it is.

"Trappers have Smoke Traps to daze casters, so they're not worthless against casters."

Fine. All you have to do is pull them into your trap. Casters tend to hang back, so unless you're going to run out of their aggro range to pull them (in which case they may not follow anyway), you're going to have a tough time getting casters into your smoke trap. Want to kill casters quickly? Use one of the other Ranger builds. Melandru's Arrows will do quite nicely with some Conjure spell or Splinter Weapon thrown in.

"Melee foes have mending touch to recover from traps. So it's not "own"ing."

My very first character was an R/E. I switched him to R/Mo when I got to Crystal Desert. Almost 2 years ago, I was in Perdition Rock with a full, mixed team that went up against the fire drakes there. After the rest of the team had been wiped, the Fire Drake boss, who was level 28, turned on me, I soloed him for 10 minutes before finally beating him. I beat him with Choking Gas, Dust Trap, Flame trap, Dryder's Defenses and Apply Poison to name 5 of the skills I carried that day (not one elite). Those who saw it were impressed, to say the least. Was my build "the best" for the whole game? Nope. But in that situation and in that group, it was certainly better than those of my teammates and certainly better than that of a level 28 fire drake boss. So yeah, I "owned" that boss that day and in that situation.

In another situation, I had a hunch the team I was joining for the Aurora Glade mission was going to struggle, so I switched my ele from fire nuker to water runner and was able to complete the mission solo after the rest of the team had been wiped. Again, I wouldn't use water in the Shiverpeaks, but in that situation water was the skill set that was better than anyone else's on the team and certainly better than the skill sets of the foes I was facing.

As you noted, there are no "absolutes", but to say "there is no best" IS an absolute statement (so you contrdicted yourself). However "best" in the context of GW is relative term and is completely dependent upon any given set of skills, foes, and situations.

Originally posted by Serling

"Monk smiting can hurt undead just as good as Dervish. So your build is NOT the best."
    I play both a Smiter and 2 Dervishes. Trust me when I say this: the Dervs do a lot more damage - holy and otherwise - than a Smiter. Have yet to see a Smiter 1-shot any undead foe. My Dervs can. A Smiter is still primarily a support class. Just look at how a Smiter's skills and spells are set up: long recharge times for most of them with the ability to cast on others (BA/SoH/JI). Smiters can do damage, but also buff the damage of others.
    Dervs are primarily damage, pure and simple. For this reason alone, a Dervish will outdamage a Monk. Didn't think something so obvious could be in dispute, but there it is anyway.
    "Abaddon's Mouth have lots of daze, so your "nuker" is definitely not the best."
    Wow, dude, do you have a reading comprehension problem???? Look at my original quote:
    "A fire nuker (Firestorm/Meteor Shower) isn't much use in places where Mesmers and interrupting Rangers abound, but get them in a mission like Abaddon's Mouth and they're way better than a minion master."
    Furthermore, Eles have glyphs that make them impervious to daze and interruption. Why else do you think people want nukers for that mission so badly when trying to get into the fortress or when they have to kill Willa and her companion boss?
    Eles ARE best for Abaddon's Mouth when you need to do a lot of damage quickly. SS Necs are a close second. Again, though, you're completely missing the point: what would be better for busting into the fortress in Abbaddon's Mouth: a team of trappers or a team of nukers??? If you answer Nukers, then we agree that "best" is completely relative to a given foe and situation. No one profession is going to be best all the time, but some are going to be better than others at least some of the time.
    Again, I wouldn't think this would be an issue of contention but there it is.
    "Trappers have Smoke Traps to daze casters, so they're not worthless against casters."
    Fine. All you have to do is pull them into your trap. Casters tend to hang back, so unless you're going to run out of their aggro range to pull them (in which case they may not follow anyway), you're going to have a tough time getting casters into your smoke trap. Want to kill casters quickly? Use one of the other Ranger builds. Melandru's Arrows will do quite nicely with some Conjure spell or Splinter Weapon thrown in.
    "Melee foes have mending touch to recover from traps. So it's not "own"ing."
    My very first character was an R/E. I switched him to R/Mo when I got to Crystal Desert. Almost 2 years ago, I was in Perdition Rock with a full, mixed team that went up against the fire drakes there. After the rest of the team had been wiped, the Fire Drake boss, who was level 28, turned on me, I soloed him for 10 minutes before finally beating him. I beat him with Choking Gas, Dust Trap, Flame trap, Dryder's Defenses and Apply Poison to name 5 of the skills I carried that day (not one elite). Those who saw it were impressed, to say the least. Was my build "the best" for the whole game? Nope. But in that situation and in that group, it was certainly better than those of my teammates and certainly better than that of a level 28 fire drake boss. So yeah, I "owned" that boss that day and in that situation.
    In another situation, I had a hunch the team I was joining for the Aurora Glade mission was going to struggle, so I switched my ele from fire nuker to water runner and was able to complete the mission solo after the rest of the team had been wiped. Again, I wouldn't use water in the Shiverpeaks, but in that situation water was the skill set that was better than anyone else's on the team and certainly better than the skill sets of the foes I was facing.
    As you noted, there are no "absolutes", but to say "there is no best" IS an absolute statement (so you contrdicted yourself). However "best" in the context of GW is relative term and is completely dependent upon any given set of skills, foes, and situations.
    You have reading comprehension problem too.  No where did I said which is better than the other.  All I'm saying is that yours is not the best.
  • roamieroamie Member Posts: 115
    i guess its Necro/Mesmer for me.  hunter is quite attracting to play either. mesmer to regain enerqy and debuff and necro to deal the damage.