Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does 8 million active accounts equal to in dollars?

BacchussBacchuss Member Posts: 15

Just wondering if someone has done the math on what 8 million active accounts comes to in dollar$?

How much money does it cost to develope a MMORPG?

How much money went into development on WoW? 

Comments

• soilsoil Member Posts: 11
    Recently I read in my game informer Blizard put up 50 to 70million in development which is unmatched by any other mmo.
  • AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437
    Originally posted by Bacchuss

Just wondering if someone has done the math on what 8 million active accounts comes to in dollar$?
    A basic guess would be 8,000,000 * $15 = $120 million income. Now what their expenses are we dont know. We also dont know what their profits were from the sale of the game and the expansion. Either way its gotto be a cash cow. Mooooooo!

As for costs to develop, 30 million on the low end and 70 million on the high end. Basically 30 million to make something like vanguard and 70 million to make a potential WoW killer.
  • AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Why people are so determined to find out how much money Blizzard makes is beyond me. It's impossible to calculate at this point due to several factors, the largest of which is the presence of Asian Gamer-Cafes where (for example) the Chinese don't pay a monthly fee, and instead pay by the hour.

I believe I read somewhere that WoW cost 80+ million dollars to develop, but I could be wrong.

• JustoxJustox Member Posts: 9

After reading a pile of statistics, I figured if Blizzard was to convert the money into...:

US Dollars - $120, 000, 000. 00  + Money Made Through Server Transfers - Upkeep of Company

Canadian Dollars - $134, 690, 400. 00 + Money Made Through Server Transfers - Upkeep of Company

UK Pounds - £60, 019, 200. 00 + Money Made Through Server Transfers - Upkeep of Company

Euros - 88, 346, 400. 00 + Money Made Through Server Transfers - Upkeep of Company

Yen - ¥14, 230, 200, 000. 00   + Money Made Through Server Transfers - Upkeep of Company

Wow... the things you could do with that money...

• 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • JustoxJustox Member Posts: 9
    The other 10% is the one I used, hehe.
  • Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by Justox

The other 10% is the one I used, hehe.
    HAHA.. nice counter

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• AbronzAbronz Member Posts: 126

I know nothing of business but I thought companies have to publish earnings to stock holders and others.  Am I wrong?

• fawdownfawdown Member UncommonPosts: 186
    It's going to depend on how many people are in China playing.  One third of active WoW accts are there.  I am not going to mention the source because it's been said before in a thread here.  My brother in law plays in China and has I think 3 accts and pays considerably less per month.  I think what he told me comes to about $5 USD per month each.  If it wasn't cheaper there no one would play.  Multiple accounts in China are used by plat farmers and those that want to get around the law that states that each acct can only be logged in 2 hours per day.   It's possible that everyone has more than one account; farmers and regular players.

8 million accounts does not mean 8 million actual players.
  • Its not 8million active. Its 8million total accounts created which include the free trial.
  • sololocosololoco Member Posts: 542

Are you insane? There aren't any 8 million ACTIVE accounts!!! 

Yeah, right. There are 8 million players currently playing WOW.. Wake up!! There aren't enough servers to hold a quarter of that let alone 8 million.

This figure of 8 million Blizzard loves to brag about daily (Very doubtful to begin with) if true are accounts that were opened at one time or other and not 8 million all at one time. These accounts are all counted together even if many players have more then one account which many do.

I once had an account as did many others who no longer play this crap...er..game. These accounts are counted in those glorified 8 million Blizzard spews out every minute of the day. O'yeah, that's the one thing you can be definitely sure of and that's Blizzard telling the world about the magic number they have.

This game has a very long reach meaning it's played in many countries unlike most other games on-line. So, naturally, many people have had access to it, hence the accounts.

But to even think there's 8 million active accounts is kinda far fetched not to mentioned stupid. Get a clue before stating something like this.

Yeah, right, 8 million players all in their servers, lol.

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    What does 8 bottles of beer equal to in urine?
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by sololoco

Are you insane? There aren't any 8 million ACTIVE accounts!!! 
    Yeah, right. There are 8 million players currently playing WOW.. Wake up!! There aren't enough servers to hold a quarter of that let alone 8 million.
    This figure of 8 million Blizzard loves to brag about daily (Very doubtful to begin with) if true are accounts that were opened at one time or other and not 8 million all at one time. These accounts are all counted together even if many players have more then one account which many do.
    I once had an account as did many others who no longer play this crap...er..game. These accounts are counted in those glorified 8 million Blizzard spews out every minute of the day. O'yeah, that's the one thing you can be definitely sure of and that's Blizzard telling the world about the magic number they have.
    This game has a very long reach meaning it's played in many countries unlike most other games on-line. So, naturally, many people have had access to it, hence the accounts.
    But to even think there's 8 million active accounts is kinda far fetched not to mentioned stupid. Get a clue before stating something like this.
    Yeah, right, 8 million players all in their servers, lol.

*sigh*

Yes, it IS 8.5 millions ACTIVE subscribers, why it is so hard to believe? oh! you did not notice the game is active across the whole world and the servers you see (that are hundreds anyhow, more than any other game around there) are JUST A PART OF THE WHOLE? America has hundreds of server, EU has 260 servers. Asia? I do not know how many they have there, do you?

So, as you know nothing of this, maybe next time you can shut your mouth yes? thanks.

Here is the official Blizzard definition of a customer:

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

So YOU are NOT counted! Trials are NOT counted!

Wake. Up.

To the OP: keep in mind Blizzard potentially is profiting 0 from WoW. they are part of Vivendi and there is where all the profit goes, then Vivendi send back some money (to their own discretion) to fund new projects and pay all the expenses.

The only figure we have as of Profit, not revenue, is a reaaaaaally old interview of Lord British stating that the profit for UO's subs was around or over 50%.

Things have changed a lot so and that was a different game, so take that with a ton of salt.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094
    Many people just think that becuase blizzard is probably the only AAA MMO that is in profit that Blizzard need to spend that money and give WoW EQ2 graphics (with never happen its not the WoW way) or to VG the landmass and so on.

I want blizzard to plough their hard-earned ( they worked just as hard if no harder that other MMO developers) and deserved profits into a new starcraft game.... its been 9 friggin years.

• LordcrapalotLordcrapalot Member Posts: 191
    None of us here actually know if the 8+ million accounts are all active or if its just the total number of accounts that have evet been made, including banned accounts. One thing is for certain you can never trust the devs to tell you the truth, that would be bad for buisness.

"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day when he said..Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?...No, but i served in a company of heroes"
    Sgt. Mike Ranney E-company 506PIR 101'st airborn

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Lordcrapalot

None of us here actually know if the 8+ million accounts are all active or if its just the total number of accounts that have evet been made, including banned accounts. One thing is for certain you can never trust the devs to tell you the truth, that would be bad for buisness.

That's a pretty bold statement, dont you think? Considering third party datas CONFIRM Blizzard numbers (Burning crusade sold 3.5 mils copies across NA and EU and that is exactly the number of subs Blizzard said to have in the NA/EU territories and the expansion is not available in asian territories yet)?

Maybe they ARE telling the truth? after all they have well over 400 servers between Na and EU with good amount of them being full...?

Again... why the disbelief? why you all think the mass media world noticed WoW and there are several famous people admitting openly they play the game?

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

We do, blizzard is the only who are up front with their sub numbers and make it clear who they count.

blizzards press release as of march 7th 2007: www.blizzard.com/press/070307.shtml

Their sub nuumbers only count active accounts, do not count banned, in-active or trial accounts.

World of Warcraft's worldwide subscriber base now numbers more than 8.5 million and is continuing to grow as new and returning players join existing players in the game.

World of Warcraft®'s Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

• ServaseServase Member Posts: 180
    Well, according to Wikipedia. Blizzard has a revenue point of $1.5billion. Vivendi, has a total revenue of 24billion and a net income of 4.2billion. I'm pretty sure most of that "4.2 billion" is from blizzard. But, that's in total, so including the money earned from selling Warcraft, Starcraft and diablo series games etc. They also own Sierra, so ya.

All that needs to be known is. They have the money. Meaning, they have the money to take a loss in order to beat another company. Like, spending 40million just to better their game to beat a game to be released in a couple months. Just as an example. Say they know a game is to be released in 5months. It's going to be a HUGE release, a game that could take a couple mil of their subscribers. They have the money to higher 1000 programmers to designer an expansion pack to release in 3-4months. While the game to be released, may not have any money other than what they can dish out to make the game.

They have the money to feel comfortable, and actively release updates, and release new games and further expand WoW. That's all that needs to be said. Like they have 1,600 employers roughly. But only 20 employees might actually benefit from the company making so much cash. The designers and customer support ppl still make the same salary and dont increase based on sales. The lead designer and CEO might get a heft bonus check. But I doubt it. So who cares what the company makes. Vivendi takes most of it, and blizzard gets the same wages every year.

Playing: WoW,

Played: Aion, AoC, Eve, EQ, EQ2, LOTRO, Runescape, Guild Wars, DAoC, Planetside, SWG, WAR, Darkfall

Wanting to try: DCU Online

Waiting For: Star Wars The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810
    Originally posted by Aethios

Why people are so determined to find out how much money Blizzard makes is beyond me. It's impossible to calculate at this point due to several factors, the largest of which is the presence of Asian Gamer-Cafes where (for example) the Chinese don't pay a monthly fee, and instead pay by the hour.

I believe I read somewhere that WoW cost 80+ million dollars to develop, but I could be wrong.

It’s impossible to calculate but it’s very easy to go out and read Vivendi’s annual report which tells us most of what we need to know.  

Blizzard is part of VU Games, and according to the annual report VU Games makes about $1 billion in annual revenue.   Vivendi has said elsewhere that online games (read that as WoW) makes up about half of their revenue, so WoW brings in about $500 million per year.  

On China…

Blizzard does not even operate in China. Instead they sell the rights to operate WoW to a Chinese company called The9.  The9’s annual reports are also available online, but the bottom line is that the average account in China makes The9 about $1.5 per month, and they give about 25% of that to Blizzard (Vivendi).
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

It equals FILTHY RICH gamecompany as opposed to previously moderately rich.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • w175jabw175jab Member Posts: 239
    What does 8 million active accounts equal to in dollars...

A sheet load of money.
  • EattenEatten Member Posts: 86
    and thats only per month now you got to times that total by 12
  • FugnudzFugnudz Member Posts: 480

What North American and Europe pays per subscriber is not (my guess) what someone in China pays.  $15 per month is a lot of month to some people; might be a month's wages working in some agricultural job in some nations.

• KelpyDudeKelpyDude Member Posts: 25
    it equals - I wanna work for them.
  • faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

Actually we do. Blizzard has told us outright what the formula is for their counting. See the above posted criteria. To be counted accounts must be paid and active or accessed within 30 days. No free trial accounts, no expired accounts, no dormant internet cafe accounts. Blizzard is actually the only MMORPG operator that does tell us where they get the numbers from.

Thart criteria was included as part of their investor related press releases, so it does carry alot of weight. The safe and correct assumption is that that is in fact the formula they are using. Otherwise they would be deliberately lying to their investors, which is generally viewed as a very bad thing.