Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many people quit to play LOTRO?

SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
The servers took a big drop in activity. Seems like a lot of people switched to LOTRO.

Comments

• TheICETheICE Member UncommonPosts: 120
    lol ,lies my server did not drop at all quit trolling, eq2 and lotr are way different games. But i played last night and this morning and can find a grp easy and all servers where on medium last night. So Please quit lying.
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    No drop on my server.  In fact, there seems to be a slight increase actually. 

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• pdk25pdk25 Member Posts: 115
    What Theice wrote wasn`t well written but he is correct. I haven`t seen any population reduction at all. I created a new toon last weekend and the start up and noobie zones were very populated. I`ve not seen any population reduction in the end game zones either. As a matter of fact, the end game zones are very populated. I play on the Butcherblock server and it is very alive and well. I hope LoTR does well, but starting a rumor that people are leaving EQ2 to play LoTR is just childish. Maybe Samurisword is just repeating a rumor or he`s talking about the European Servers, but leave other games alone and enjoy what you are playing.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I haven't seen any drop in server population at all.

As for LOTRO, it sucks. Nothing original but the graphics. I beta'd the game and I'm sick to death of WoW clones and insane, hairpulling boredom.
  • ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532
    My account is still active even though I am playing LOTRO. I don't plan on canceling EQ2 anytime soon. The game is too good to abandon at this point.
  • EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

no drop in Najena, Anotnia Bayle, and Lucan D'Lere servers whatsoever...

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• HellriderzHellriderz Member Posts: 7
    I bought everquest 2 foe today. I stop playing wow months ago just never found the right game. I hae played everquest 2 for a while back when they implanted pvp. I think a lot of people are coming from wow because it has lost a lot of its shine that it had. Both are great games in its own its just that I started wow first because I was a big warcraft fan. I have been reading the wow forums and it seems a lot of folk are looking to find new mmorpg's. But all so I am sure some everquest 2 vets might go over to lotro. Just my 2 cents
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

The servers took a big drop in activity. Seems like a lot of people switched to LOTRO.
    Must just be you, no noticable drop on Permafrost.
  • fawdownfawdown Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Yeah perma is the same fun happy bunch it always has been.  Denos left and I can stop ignoring 60-69.  But thanks for being consistent.  It seems every time a new game/expansion comes out we get one of these threads.
  • RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

I have noticed a lot less people around when I am playing since LOTRO was released.

• WolfdorWolfdor Member Posts: 123
    SOE made the choice easy for me when they decided to increase the Station Pass Subscription for the 2nd time in 4 months.  They're timing couldn't have been better to force me to jump, since It was really convienient to jump to LotRO for their lower subscription price. 

Just another genius business move by SOE.
  • Originally posted by Wolfdor

SOE made the choice easy for me when they decided to increase the Station Pass Subscription for the 2nd time in 4 months.  They're timing couldn't have been better to force me to jump, since It was really convienient to jump to LotRO for their lower subscription price. 

Try again. It was the 2nd time in TWO YEARS, not 4 months.

At least get your facts right.

• I am seeing a few less people, but not sure how much is due to LOTRO, or the many other reasons why online games slow down in spring and summer.

I suspect that some will move, some will play both.

Overall from when I tried the open beta, it seems like a fun game but very small world, and even though the official non preorder start date is the 29th, I see a lot of people already at level 30+.

I think it will be very popular, but I also think it will have a very high churn rate.

Originally posted by Laiina

Originally posted by Wolfdor

SOE raised the price from $21.99 to 24.99 the begining of Q4 of 2006, then raised it again to 29.99 this past month.  Look it up, I might be a month off, but alot closer then your 2 years.

Next time take your own advice about getting facts right, then consider trolling some place else.
  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by Laiina

SOE raised the price from $21.99 to 24.99 the begining of Q4 of 2006, then raised it again to 29.99 this past month.  Look it up, I might be a month off, but alot closer then your 2 years.

Next time take your own advice about getting facts right, then consider trolling some place else.

Perhaps you should have done as suggested and checked your facts, because the price increase from $21.99 to $24.99 did not occur in December 06 and you are off by way more then a month.  

Sorry FB, I never once said in my post anything about the month of December.

However, I do stand corrected, $OE raised the price twice in 9 months for the same exact reason.  It was the begining of Q3 and not the begining of Q4 like I believed.  Either way their $8.00 USD increase in LESS then one year (despite other claimed facts listed above saying it was over 2 years since the last increase) is STILL the reason I dropped my $OE Station Access subscription and was forced to look for a new game to sink my wallet into.  I found that paying the new increased price wasn't worth it to myself to play 2 seperate $OE games when it's actually cheaper to subscribe to both those same games as seperate subscriptions at $29.98 rather then the second increased  price.

LotRO's $9.99 monthly fee was a nice welcome compared to the back to back 27% increase $OE forced on us.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

ive played lotro during the 2 week beta and i just finished the eq2 trial of the isle. lets just say that im buying eq2 next week.

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718
    I played eq2 off and on since release, all xpacks. Finally had enough. It's all just more of the same and I've never really been that impressed with the look of the game. eq2 did have a lot of little things that were different and nice though (guild-status, heritage quests, group-combos, crafting before the moron-downgrade). But the classes just go through that 15-level recycle of all the previous moves. AA trees added a little, but if you were already maxed when the xpack came out, then you have to grind like crazy to get AA points because you've already done all the quests in the game. (equals boring). Just not enough quests in the game imo.

So we quit to play LOTRO over the summer, will check out AoC in fall, and then WAR next spring. (we = myself and 2 sons). And at 10/month, lotro is easier on the wallet.... always nice of course.
  • mlbdudemlbdude Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by airhead 

Just not enough quests in the game imo.

LOL.  I guess that is why people have to turn off combat XP if they want any hope of completing all the quests in just one zone before they outlevel them.

No population drops on LDL that I have noticed.  In fact we have had a large insurge of brand new players to the game.

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by mlbdude

LOL.  I guess that is why people have to turn off combat XP if they want any hope of completing all the quests in just one zone before they outlevel them.

No population drops on LDL that I have noticed.  In fact we have had a large insurge of brand new players to the game.

Yeah, that's what they call an under-achiever. Don't look for any quests. Don't do any quests, therefore they don't exist? Right? According to eq2players the best of the best boards has the most quests done by one person at 3,168 and here's Allakhazam's stats:

Stats:

Items: 26,732

Quests: 3,394

NPCs: 9,340

Recipes: 3,394

Objects: 649

Users: 1,228,943

Comments: 7,845,009

And I've run across a lot of quests not listed on Allakhazam's site, so I guess he's either lying, or eq2 devs missed him in the quest count.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by mlbdude

You guys misunderstood me. I played eq2 from the beginning, did practically all the quests, then got first xpack, did content, then got KoS which implemented the AA system. Then finally got the fay xpack, which had quests spanning all levels, but didn't do me much good because I was max level.

My complaint was that by the time I got the AA xpack, there was not enough quests for me to do (as a max level SK that was around 2 years old and had already done 1000+ quests), so I was faced with grinding xp to get any AA points. I did make an ALT ranger after getting fay-xpack, and was level 28 with it and the ranger had about as much AA as my lvl 70 SK had (don't remember exactly... but did have quite a lot of AA for relative work done).  So of course there are LOTS of quests in the game. But if you maxed out too early for the AA system, then there is not.... you have to grind stuff.
  • TheICETheICE Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I ,mentor someone lower level and do the quest that way, its fun and you get pretty good aa xp for it.
  • bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    No, I understood, but I had 2 characters at 70 when the EoF AA's came out. I just play as normal and maxed my EoF AA's on one character and I'm about 70-something AA's on the other 70 character (don't play him quite as much, hasn't been to a lot of the new zones yet). I still have plenty to do and haven't even finished all the chain quests yet. Almost done, almost. The new Claymore II quest is pretty engaging so far. (Although 50 statues, REALLY?, I think SoE hates me )

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Moirae

I haven't seen any drop in server population at all.

As for LOTRO, it sucks. Nothing original but the graphics. I beta'd the game and I'm sick to death of WoW clones and insane, hairpulling boredom.
    I have not seen a server drop either. However LOTRO does not suck. I am playing it and love it. It has not changed my eq2 play time since I always play 2 mmos at a time. It has greatly effected my WoW play time since I cancelled my WoW account to play. It is not a WoW clone. That is the reason I left WoW. LOTRO offers a different more rich deep experience then WoW. If you are a mmo player from way back you know that WoW was not an original. WoW took most of its ideas from Turbine's Acheron's Call games and other games of this genre. Guys WoW has only been round 2.5 years it did not invent the genre.
  • edmonaledmonal Member Posts: 188
    I saw a population drop during LOTRO's beta, since LOTRO's release I've noticed more players in EQ2. LOTRO may 'suck' to you, but it's a well crafted, solid release. Just the fact that it's released with very few bugs is a positive for the MMO industry on the whole. I've played it, and it's not for me.