Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to come back!

tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794
Hey guy sI am looking to come back to my Ranger on Tunare server but at the same time i do not wish toi restart my Epic quest so I might start a new class. And I do not wish to play EQ2 any more, I have never rewally gotten that far in EQ2 and i think it is way to complex with everything. So would it be worth to get back into EQ1 or play somehting else like LOTR or L2 or something?

---------------------------------------------
WoW
-Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
-Rhalon 81 UD Mage
-Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
"If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

Comments

• GhakanGhakan Member Posts: 71
    Well LotRO is pretty simple, and it looks beautiful, but its very much same old same old.  Lineage 2 is very much a grind fest and PvP heavy, and is plagued by bots, although it too is very beautiful.  I never found EQ2 too be too complex really (except some of the crafting) but I have never tried EQ1 so I'm not too sure.  Hopefully that helps to some extent.

http://mmoreinsight.wordpress.com -- A Glimpse Into The World of Massively Multiplayer Games.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794
    anyone else? I am looking for a reply from a person currently playing EQ1.

not that the last reply wasn't sppreciated but i am loking for someone who is playing to tell me if it is worth it.

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage

• homeskillethomeskillet Member Posts: 119
    Return to EQ, I have tried many of the big name MMO's on the market and none of them appeal to me like EverQuest did and while it's not the same great game it used to be, it still beats any other MMO atm.

What the game currently lacks is life. If a huge stream of people started playing EQ again, it would really revitalize the game. As of right now, a huge portion of players seem to be the high end raiders.
  • OdenathusOdenathus Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally asked by tu_uilwen
    I have never rewally gotten that far in EQ2 and i think it is way to complex with everything. So would it be worth to get back into EQ1 or play somehting else like LOTR or L2 or something?
    If you think that EQ2 is complex, then you prolly don't want to come back to EQ1. Since EQ2 is sorta casual version of EQ1...

I've been playing (and still play) since the release of Kunark. I also play EQ2. I'd have to say that EQ1 is more complex, deep and involved - and requires a major time investment on the part of the player.

However, on another note; the ranger epic 1.0 and 1.5 is prolly 1 groupable, now. You wouldn't be able to get the 2.0 epic without being Anguished flagged.

----------------------------------------
    My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

• TheJomezTheJomez Member Posts: 15
    I recently tried to rejoin eq1 back in oct 06 i found it very very hard to keep up with the people playing on the progressive servers, couldn't find groups as easy in the old days.  eq2 sucks.  i have a few rl friends playing ffxi and i'm getting a bit of that old day eq rush back but ya know those days just can't be replaced.  I did see the released a new anniversary set with all the new expansions for maybe a few new players will come if you do start a new character tell me how it is =P good luck
  • healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    I think returning to EQ 1 is a bad idea, at least it was for ME.  If there is a new server, I believe it would be well worth it for many.  I currently play EQ until May 4th, and I have played for more or less 8 years. 

The progression servers were great fun for ... more or less 2 months.  Then, it went from fun to zerg-raiding (and flagging for those raids) and the group, community feel was murdered. (I used the word murder on purpose, because it felt that way)

The progression server has left myself, including many others, feeling a bit bitter and sour with SOE.  In fact, they had to merge the two servers Post-Luclin with the release of PoP and GoD because people simply did not want to do that zerg-raiding.  Unfortunately, the great guild I formed with many friends had no choice but to merge into a less friendly, more unfun guild to obtain flags and zerg-raid.

In regards to an old server with a new character, I have tried that a few times in my life... and on April 25th, 2007 (at the time of writing this) I believe that would be a disaster in every way.  No one is really playing the game very much anymore.  I feel like I should give you access to my account to explore different servers (I do because I have high level characters on several servers).  You will not simply be able to experience the old world, find productive (if you find ANYONE at all to group with you), or experience the world as you (and probably many of us with myself included) remembered Everquest.

We desperately need a Pre-PoP (some or many want a Pre-Luclin server, and I support either or) server that remains Pre-PoP for as long as possible if not permanently.  I believe a Pre-PoP would have lifetime subscribers, and I am one of them. I always get this itch to explore old Everquest.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to send me a private message. 
  • buzzzxbuzzzx Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I agree that PoP was the death of "fun" EQ. A server that was pre-PoP and stayed that way would get my money.
  • weller001weller001 Member Posts: 21

Ive never played EQ1, but played SWG, WWI I online etc, am currently on LOTRO

I have read losts of posts about how EQ1 'used to be' , so would be interested in giving it a go.

is there a free trial offer?

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762
    There is a free trial but it keeps you in this tiny contained noob area where you are not aloud to leave. If you really wanted to try it, I'd suggest doing the small "Gloomingdeep" trial and then purchasing the 20 dollar Anniversary collection pack which contains all 13 expansions.That itself comes with a 30 day free trial and you can basically see if you like it from there.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Well I had returned like 7-8 months ago but I was deeper into wow at that time. But I find EQ1 to be alot easier then eq2 in my opinion. Because with eq2 you get new skills every 2 levels instead of 1 so uts easier to keep up with skills. Yeah there may not be 320498320478 people in the game anymore but! the peopel you do friend with are nice as hell.

I remember you ask for a few gold before like 2 yrs ago and everyone tells you to go to hell. Now a friend of mine jsut gave me 15k plat. I was like omg!so idk

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

15k plat......? holy s^%$.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• zensaberzensaber Member UncommonPosts: 787
    I just started over on the progressive server and that seems to be doing well, not to sure about high level never got that far in everquest 1 last time i played. Lineage 2 is only is you love pvp and don't mind a diablo like grind.
  • neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I've been resisting the urge to go back to EQ, but this morning I've got that "Wouldn't it be fun to run to Western Wastes and maybe go to Dragon Necropolis?" kind of feeling. I just stopped playing a few months ago due to all the fights I was having with my husband. He was in raiding guild and I wasn't. Scheduling conflicts led to marital conflicts.

I am enjoying L2, but it is definitely not for everyone. It seems you can switch to WASD controls these days, but I actually prefer click-to-move/arrow keys to move, both of which work by default, so that's a mark in its favor with me. It's really grindy, but with all the benefits available for newbie characters, it's been an easy grind.  I've been PK'd only 3 times in the 30+ days I've played, which is nothing, but if you're the sort who would be mad at being PKed once for no reason at all, you definitely want to pass on L2.

As for EQ and epics, if you're not hellbent on having a working 1.0, I'd do the 1.5 pre-quest (or the 1.0 by-pass. Same thing.) They seem pretty quick and easy. I was doing the SK epic (again) and got stuck on the Soul Leech, but it has gotten really hard to find the demis up in Fear, so I decided to by-pass it and was done the same day. The Shattered Emerald of Corruption is easier to get these days, FWIW, if that's what you're worried about. I don't know anything else about the ranger epic- that's just the point at which ranger and SK interests converged the first time I did it. (Lots of "You guys going to Hate today? Need a ranger?" tells... *sigh* ... I miss those days.)

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214
    Originally posted by tigris67

15k plat......? holy s^%$.
    I made 100k platinum a week, 15k is piss ant stuff after PoP came out. My Warrior had 1 million platinum worth of equipment when I sold him for $1160.00 about 5 months after PoP's release. The first person on Tunare server to break 1 million plat was an enchanter and did it before Kunark was released! Mostly done killing spectres on those islands for some silly amount of time like 100 days played or some silliness. Platinum was always easy for some to come by in EQ1 if you knew where to hunt. 1000+ platinum an hour is fairly easy with a porting character or two boxing a melee and druid in locations like the giant fort in Burning Woods, I even made pretty decent platinum in Kael two boxing. A druid and a rogue pickpocketing gems in Plane of Growth used to net sick amounts of gems too.