Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EVEOnline for me?

Comments

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087
    Originally posted by jpyrich

Not playing EVE is not going to spoil my fun.  My life does not revolve around EVE.  I can play another game, or...  <GASP> not play anything until something I want to play comes out.
    For someone whos life revolves around eve you do seem to come here a lot to whine.

• MoobkradMoobkrad Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by Hotot

Originally posted by Moobkrad

Originally posted by LordSlater

Originally posted by crustynuts

I tried the game a couple of times, then found out what the game management had been doing (cheating, lieing, cover ups, banning whistle blowers) and choose not to pay them to be treated like that (customers should not be cheated and lied too)

I think you would be happier in the star trek online forums rather than turning into one of this forums regular trolls. See thing is everyone already knows about this issue. And i have to say severall months after the eve im not really seeing these 100's of players quitting just yet [tho it would be nice if say 5k did to help with Alliance fleet battle lag].

[snip]

its not very easy to get into and can be ahrd for some people to get to grips with [as with Chrustynuts for example the dev thing is just an excuse i think ...

[snip]

I was going to let this thread go by until this.
    • Not everyone knows about the issues with CCP.  Even many players are not fully aware as to what transpired.
    • It hasn't been "several months".  The T20 affair only came to light in February.
    • Many unhappy players have paid subscriptions and are still skilling in the hopes that CCP gets a clue.  Personally, I have one account that is now closed and two more that are cancelled but paid up for a few months.  I'll continue to change skills until the paid time expires.  I'm not the only one to be doing so and many players have started that they will decide on their future in EVE when it's time for them to renew.

• Just because someone is unhappy with CCP, doesn't mean that they can't understand the game.  That's just inane and posting that just makes you look like a petty fanboy who will do whatever it takes to protect EVE and CCP.

EVE is a very good game but right now it is flawed because of CCP.  And yes, I do see the irony in that. The thing is, that not everyone is directly affected by this matter. And thus, they don't feel wronged by it.The only way you could not be affected by the economy is not to participate in it. That means no buying, no selling, no trading directly, no gifts from or too other people. Those people however are still getting screwed by CCP because they pay and apparently don't do very much except chat in the station. Of course not subscribing to EvE also makes you not affected.

If I buy an ink pen made in China at the Shell station in Detroit does that affect the economy for the guy working at the Geological research station at the top of Mt. Aconcagua in Argentina?....Yes it does. However, is that going to stop him from continuing the research? He has a passion for Geology, he ain't gonna stop for some fluctuations in the economy. Why? Because he enjoys doing his job.

If anyone asks, I know someone will try to discredit my argument. How do I know that Geologist enjoys his job? Because to be a researcher, is to live in poberty waiting for the next sponsor that is interested in the cause. If you want to make money and live well, he would go for something else more in demand. He has to love geology itself to be able to undergo any lifestyle provided by his study.
    Originally posted by Hotot

Originally posted by Eschiava

So the conclusion seems to be,  CCP cheating has affected the economy in some way that has never been quantified.  As a result I can no longer have any fun in EVE so I guess I'll quit.
    Hmmm, I noticed the price of gas went up a few cents pergallon last week, therefor I can no longer have any fun in life, guess I better suicide and just end it now.

I never realized how many drama queens there are in this game.

in reverse order

#1 If you mean me I'm not in the game.

#2 Ask a truck driver how much fun he has when fuel prices go up a few cents. do you really think that gas prices only affect you when you go to buy gas? gas prices are one of the most important factors in the price of well... everything?

#3 The EVE economy is too complex to quantify, luckily it’s pointless if we understand cause and affects. Devs cheating for rich alliances have obviously affected the economy in a way that’s bad for people not in those alliances. Playing in a game where the creators (who I pay monthly) do things to make my life more difficult and theirs easier isn’t my idea of fun. Not to mention the whole issue of RMT.

I’ve fixed the problem for myself, I just still have the hope that some people will understand how cheating from the devs, does in fact affect them. While I’m rambling about the economy, it’s worth mentioning the real global economy which has a limited support for game software developers. Continuing to fund CCP with your monthly payments defiantly isn’t creating new jobs for developers which we need for future games. The choices you make when spending your money actually affects the future of MMORPG’s.

#1 Then don't complain.

#2 Company will pay gas bill, the driver will be refunded.

#3 Difficult? Life in EVE is not difficult. Yeah I have to worry about pirates when I'm mining by myself. But other than that nothing mayor. And it's all within the fun. I'm a miner, if mineral prices go up, that means I'll get paid more for my time. ;)

EVE is a very good game but right now it is flawed because of CCP.  And yes, I do see the irony in that.
    The thing is, that not everyone is directly affected by this matter. And thus, they don't feel wronged by it. Why do people have to have something affect themselves before they care?  It boggles my mind. Yes they cheated, so what? Are you going to let that ruin your fun. You'll probably pass a lifetime without ever encountering those people who got benefited by the cheat. I haven't seen them, for that matter, I haven't seen any BoB member. All I know about the issue and about the war is by what people say. It affects me indirectly in a sense that minerals prices are going up because of the current demand; That's about it.

You completely missed my point.  Why do I have to be personally affected to find it unacceptable?  Why do you need to be affected by something personally to care?  Are you so selfish that other people don't matter at all to you?

However, the reason why I quit is not the cheating per se.  Cheating can always happen.  CCP didn't have the safeguards in place to prevent their own employees from doing it and that's just amatuerish.  However, if they had handled to incident well it wouldn't have been an issue.  The way CCP reacted to that incident and how they continue to act is why I quit EVE.  I refuse to fund a company who acts like that.

Not playing EVE is not going to spoil my fun.  My life does not revolve around EVE.  I can play another game, or...  <GASP> not play anything until something I want to play comes out. I care about those people that band together with me, those that I have fun and chat when I log in. I played with some of them since SWG, three years ago. And most important of all, I have Fun!

If you don't like this game for any reason, just leave. I don't know you, but I won't leave my friends alone just because a jpyrich told me in the forums that the devs are cheating. I evaluate the situation: does it affects me directly? NO; What changed? Mineral prices; Does it affects me much? NO; Am I having fun? YES; Are my friends still around? YES.

Situation Positive for me. That's all that matters.
  • crustynutscrustynuts Member Posts: 22

EVE is a very good game but right now it is flawed because of CCP.  And yes, I do see the irony in that.
    The thing is, that not everyone is directly affected by this matter. And thus, they don't feel wronged by it. Why do people have to have something affect themselves before they care?  It boggles my mind. Yes they cheated, so what? Are you going to let that ruin your fun. You'll probably pass a lifetime without ever encountering those people who got benefited by the cheat. I haven't seen them, for that matter, I haven't seen any BoB member. All I know about the issue and about the war is by what people say. It affects me indirectly in a sense that minerals prices are going up because of the current demand; That's about it.

You completely missed my point.  Why do I have to be personally affected to find it unacceptable?  Why do you need to be affected by something personally to care?  Are you so selfish that other people don't matter at all to you?

However, the reason why I quit is not the cheating per se.  Cheating can always happen.  CCP didn't have the safeguards in place to prevent their own employees from doing it and that's just amatuerish.  However, if they had handled to incident well it wouldn't have been an issue.  The way CCP reacted to that incident and how they continue to act is why I quit EVE.  I refuse to fund a company who acts like that.

Not playing EVE is not going to spoil my fun.  My life does not revolve around EVE.  I can play another game, or...  <GASP> not play anything until something I want to play comes out. I care about those people that band together with me, those that I have fun and chat when I log in. I played with some of them since SWG, three years ago. And most important of all, I have Fun!

If you don't like this game for any reason, just leave. I don't know you, but I won't leave my friends alone just because a jpyrich told me in the forums that the devs are cheating. I evaluate the situation: does it affects me directly? NO; What changed? Mineral prices; Does it affects me much? NO; Am I having fun? YES; Are my friends still around? YES.

I have to say, you are mistaking the dislike for CCP as a dislike of the game.

I liked the trial, but have seen enough of what CCP does to know that I will not support CCP.

Real life issue for sure, nothing to do with the game other then CCP cheated in the game and then acted poorly when that information was brought to the public eye.

I care about those people that band together with me, those that I have fun and chat when I log in. I played with some of them since SWG, three years ago. And most important of all, I have Fun!

I liked the trial, but have seen enough of what CCP does to know that I will not support CCP.

Real life issue for sure, nothing to do with the game other then CCP cheated in the game and then acted poorly when that information was brought to the public eye.

Then what is your argument? You are dismissing the game, because of the company. I'm well aware of what the Devs did. But it doesn't bother me. Thus, leads to me not caring about it.
  • EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485
    The argument?  Well, Crusty played the trial only if I am reading his post correctly, but he has such intimate knowledge of what CCP supposedly did that he is convinced that everyone must believe as he does or they are just a brainless fanboi of CCP.

Did I get it about right Crusty?

I think bottom line is, peole like this are attention starved, low self esteem noobs that are validated only if you agree with their positions on whatever topic they are holding forth on.

Personally, i would ignore them, but I just can't for the entertainment value they offer so freely.

Keep it up Crusty and Co., today's been frustrating at work and I could use a few laughs! 

edit: sp
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

The argument?  Well, Crusty played the trial only if I am reading his post correctly, but he has such intimate knowledge of what CCP supposedly did that he is convinced that everyone must believe as he does or they are just a brainless fanboi of CCP.

I think bottom line is, peole like this are attention starved, low self esteem noobs that are validated only if you agree with their positions on whatever topic they are holding forth on.

Personally, i would ignore them, but I just can't for the entertainment value they offer so freely.

Keep it up Crusty and Co., today's been frustrating at work and I could use a few laughs! 

hmm, i guess my intimate knowledge is based upon my playing extensively and with friends.

wonder who my friends are?

i'll give you a hint, they're not morons that make INCORRECT broad generalizations.

cheers.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

I care about those people that band together with me, those that I have fun and chat when I log in. I played with some of them since SWG, three years ago. And most important of all, I have Fun!

Then what is your argument? You are dismissing the game, because of the company. I'm well aware of what the Devs did. But it doesn't bother me. Thus, leads to me not caring about it.

lots of people didn't care that the nazis were killing jews, because they weren't jewish.  didn't change the effect it had on the country and the world.  just meant there were a lot of ignorant and no-backbone having people.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by damian7

hmm, i guess my intimate knowledge is based upon my playing extensively and with friends.

wonder who my friends are?

i'll give you a hint, they're not morons that make INCORRECT broad generalizations.

cheers. Don't put the hat man, he ain't named you.

And my bad for including you on one of my posts. I grab you as a piñata and you did have good points about it.

lots of people didn't care that the nazis were killing jews, because they weren't jewish.  didn't change the effect it had on the country and the world.  just meant there were a lot of ignorant and no-backbone having people.
    WoW what a terrable comparison.

• jpyrichjpyrich Member Posts: 55

Not playing EVE is not going to spoil my fun.  My life does not revolve around EVE.  I can play another game, or...  <GASP> not play anything until something I want to play comes out.
    For someone whos life revolves around eve you do seem to come here a lot to whine. I'll have you remember that I only posted in this thread because you intimated that someone saying that they don't like how CCP acted is just using that as an excuse becuase thay can't understand the game.  If you sling that kind of BS, you can be sure that I'll respond.  It's not whining, it's countering a fanboi trying to demeen anyone who disagrees that EVE is one true MMO.  Get over yourself.

I like EVE.  I still want to play.  I read the forums in the vain hope that CCP will do something to restore my faith in them before my accounts go dark.

I don't know you, but I won't leave my friends alone just because a jpyrich told me in the forums that the devs are cheating.
    Will you believe CCP?

On Recent Allegations

"Regrettably, my actions inevitably led to a shadow of suspicion being cast on a number of my co-workers..."

The Commitment

CCP's Director of Internal Affairs: An introduction

I don't know you, but I won't leave my friends alone just because a jpyrich told me in the forums that the devs are cheating.
    Will you believe CCP?

On Recent Allegations

"Regrettably, my actions inevitably led to a shadow of suspicion being cast on a number of my co-workers..."

The Commitment

CCP's Director of Internal Affairs: An introduction

I'm well aware of what they did, as I said in another post. What I said on the original post that you quoted, is an exaggeration of the truth. It doesn't matter what the Nay-sayers say. I'm having fun with the game. I'm not leaving anytime soon.
  • EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

If you're making the nazi comparison, you realize you have already lost, because invoking that particular argument is a sure sign of desperation. 
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Thank you everyone. I have some further questions

1) How much variety are there to missions? I can't imagine teaming up with 4 other ships to fight in a dungeon so how does that work?

2) What are the pros and cons for joining a player corp vs an NPC corp?

3) How easy is it to switch from one corp to another and how acceptable is it?

4) Is there any way to keep your stuff from being stolen when you're offline?

I do take issue with how the game is realistic. In reality if I spy on a company and leave stealing their stuff, I'll have state, if not federal cops looking for me and when I'm caught, I'll spend a lot of time in jail. That doesn't happen here. It seems to me that thieves can get away with just about anything and unless they're caught in the act, they face no consequences. Then all the player has to do is log off or switch to a different character and wait until the heat's off. What are the consequences of your actions

I also don't quite believe the "reputation" thing. It could be how it's run in a game but I don't think that say a rep like "LordSlater likes to gank newbies in 1.0" would be easy to spread. To keep up on all the gosip would be a full time job. (No offense intended LordSlater, I'm sure you don't attack new players in 1.0 sec areas. At least not often.)
  • NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Alverant

1) How much variety are there to missions? I can't imagine teaming up with 4 other ships to fight in a dungeon so how does that work?

I do take issue with how the game is realistic. In reality if I spy on a company and leave stealing their stuff, I'll have state, if not federal cops looking for me and when I'm caught, I'll spend a lot of time in jail. That doesn't happen here. It seems to me that thieves can get away with just about anything and unless they're caught in the act, they face no consequences. Then all the player has to do is log off or switch to a different character and wait until the heat's off. What are the consequences of your actions

I also don't quite believe the "reputation" thing. It could be how it's run in a game but I don't think that say a rep like "LordSlater likes to gank newbies in 1.0" would be easy to spread. To keep up on all the gosip would be a full time job. (No offense intended LordSlater, I'm sure you don't attack new players in 1.0 sec areas. At least not often.)
    1. Missions tend to get repetative as there is about 20-30 per level. you can team up in missions, lvl 4s require a team unless you are well skilled. There will be the addition of higher level missions in an upcomming part of revelations and what will be required to do them is still up in the air.

2. NPC corps are basically placeholders for players. They can be good if you plan to go the pure empire trader route but to do anything significant in this game you really need to find a player corp. Also pick up groups in this game are next to non exsistant out side of Corps and Alliances.

3. Switching between corps takes 24 hours if your previous corp has assigned you any roles for corp hanger(basically a corp bank) access or administrative roles. As for how much is acceptable. Ideally you want to keep it to a minimum its reasonable to expect a few periods of switching several corps at once as you try and find a new home. its when your employment history doesn't show you stick with any corp that you'll begin to have issues with getting into a new corp.

4. The only way stuff can get stolen from you is to have them in a corporate hanger or just randomly floating out in space. Although certain corp members have roles to place things into your personnel hanger nobody except you can remove it. Keep stuff in your hanger and its safe and as a rule you don't put things in a corp hanger unless you expect someone to take it be it to steal or use.

Reputations do stick with you unless you wish to constantly fly a gimped character. remember only one character trains at a time and there is only one server. its not hard to address book some one who stole from you and every time they log in look at thier corp and send a message to thier CEO that they are a thief and should be kicked as soon as possible. Or if you want higher a group of mercenaries to constantly war dec what ever corp he joins and kill him constantly. know of at least one case where that has been going on for almost 2 years and won't stop till the victim is repaid.

Right now there's not a big variety in the missions that you can get from agents.  But the Devs say that there are a lot of different missions that you can find by using exploration probes.  However, the Devs are planning some changes to missions.

My Agent EVE mailed me and wants to offer... WHAT?!?!?

Missions, Exploration and Mini-professions Revisited

You can team up with other players to run missions and with some of the exploration missions, the Devs have said that you will likely need help.

In an NPC Corp, you are your own man.  You can do whatever you want and not pay taxes to the Corp.  You are safe flying in Empire because no one will WarDec (War Declaraion) an NPC Corp.  If you enter 0.0 space, most players will try to kill you.

In a PC Corp you will have other players to help you out with advice, assistance in-game, and many times some monetary help as well.  PC Corps also give you some social interaction in the game.

There are some PC Corps that exist to teach new players.  Some are feeder Corps, but others just exist to help new players.

It's pretty easy to switch from one Corp to another.  If you had any roles granted to you (e.g. Corp hangar access) you have to remove those roles from yourself and then wait 24 hours.  Then, you can join a new Corp.

Switching Corps is usually acceptable.  You aren't locked into one Corp for your character socially.  But it really depends on the Corps in your history and the new Corp you join.  If you were in an enemy Corp, you might never be able to move up in the new Corp.

Trust no one.

For the most part, the only way that you can lose stuff while offline is if someone has your login information.  Never give your password to anyone.  Never use third-party programs even if they don't ask for your password directly.  There have been incidents of key-loggers in some of the programs.  Make sure that your virus protection and firewall are up to date (just a precaution).

That said, I used a 3rd party program called EVEMon.  Many players use this software (even players at CCP) and the author has made the source code available for review as well.  It's a great tool.  I deemed using is as an acceptable risk and never had, or heard of  any problems with that program.

You are correct.  If the thief is smart, there are no consequences.  You can't be caught if you're offline or if you use an alt to perform the theft.  In one the Corps in which I had been a member, the entire Corp hangar (except Blueprints) was stolen twice.  The thief was a Director in the Corp and was never caught.

If you're not so smart... Karma   (you might need a DivX codec to view)

Originally posted by Nicoli

2. NPC corps are basically placeholders for players. They can be good if you plan to go the pure empire trader route but to do anything significant in this game you really need to find a player corp. Also pick up groups in this game are next to non exsistant out side of Corps and Alliances.

Good point.  Pick up groups are used by some gankers so that they can attack you in Empire without any consequences.  Most players avoid pick up groups.

Good point.  Pick up groups are used by some gankers so that they can attack you in Empire without any consequences.  Most players avoid pick up groups.And they are avoided with good reason. I got caught by one once. Heh good story this tho they asked me waht ship i flew before i 'Joined' them so i told them a Caracell. Hehehe they were very suprised when they found out my 'Caracell' was a HAC fully fitted with rigs for PvP. Yes i knew what they were after.

Good point.  Pick up groups are used by some gankers so that they can attack you in Empire without any consequences.  Most players avoid pick up groups.And they are avoided with good reason. I got caught by one once. Heh good story this tho they asked me waht ship i flew before i 'Joined' them so i told them a Caracell. Hehehe they were very suprised when they found out my 'Caracell' was a HAC fully fitted with rigs for PvP. Yes i knew what they were after.

HAC - Heavy Assault Cruiser.

A Tech 2 ship. You could say, one of the ultimate cruiser type ships.

If you're not so smart... Karma   (you might need a DivX codec to view)

Dude, AWESOME movie (text was a bit fast, but that's what the pause button is for). I still think honesty is the best policy. If you're straight with people, people are usually straight with you. If not, well your video proves there's always someone bigger. *

I will be asking about how the economy works and how you sell/buy stuff. Keeping in mind my main experience in MMORPGs are CoH and ENB (thus everything I know about EO is through that lens), I would like to know how you scam in the first place. Not that I plan on doing it, just how it's possible. In CoH you see what you're getting then agree to a trade. If something changes you have to agree again. Unless you can't inspect an object before you trade it, I don't see how scamming is possible.

*I wonder if there's a corp that specializes in finding scammers then extracting painful revenge. I'd join. I'd even do PvP.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

what scammers do is Hey here is a expensive T2 commandship that I have to get rid of fast. meet me at station X and we'll trade. You open it up and he drops in the commandship. You put in the money hit agree. He then says something like I need to remove the equipment I have on there or something else. he then replaces it with the similiar looking and cheaper version of the T1 ship. you hit the accept button with out double checking that he properly replaced with the same item.

In the end you have to be REALLY stupid to get scammed. Most people who do get scammed don't spend the time to look beause they are greedy and get scammed because they stopped being smart.

what scammers do is Hey here is a expensive T2 commandship that I have to get rid of fast. meet me at station X and we'll trade. You open it up and he drops in the commandship. You put in the money hit agree. He then says something like I need to remove the equipment I have on there or something else.

I at which point I would say, "You should have had it ready before you offered to sell it." then leave. That's just common sense.

he then replaces it with the similiar looking and cheaper version of the T1 ship. you hit the accept button with out double checking that he properly replaced with the same item.
    In the end you have to be REALLY stupid to get scammed. Most people who do get scammed don't spend the time to look beause they are greedy and get scammed because they stopped being smart.

Personally I'd say your example isn't so much being stupid or greedy, but being trusting. I'm a trusting person, but it's not a blind trust.

It doesn't excuse the scammer from his actions. I don't know how complicated, time-consuming, easy, etc it is to make sure what you think you're getting is what you're getting. If you have to remember a list of 15 things before the edit, I can see how you can miss that there are 14 things or how #8 on the list is now sightly different. Memory is a tricky thing and it's hard to be sure you remembered correctly.

Economists have something called "sunk-cost fallacy". It's when you have already invested so much in something you don't want to pull out even though it's a bad situation. A good example is a money-pit house. You spend money buying the house, more money fixing it up, then more money and more money until you can't let go even though logic says you should. You feel you are unable to cut your losses and move on. If you spend the time checking out the trade items you're more inclined to see it through because otherwise you face the possibility that you wasted time and therefore made a mistake. It's not being stupid or greedy, but being human.

Then you have players are fatiqued or in a hurry and don't have the ability to triple check everything. Granted in that case they shouldn't be trading in the first place.

People make mistakes and it's wrong for others to take advantage of that. While I agree you should be careful, I think you're being a bit harsh on those scammed.

• JADEDRAG0NJADEDRAG0N Member Posts: 733

1) How much variety are there to missions? I can't imagine teaming up with 4 other ships to fight in a dungeon so how does that work? THe variety used to be pretty low but now it seems the devs have shifted some of there focus from PvP content to PvE as evidenced by the new missions Cosmoss Content and the explorable content.

2) What are the pros and cons for joining a player corp vs an NPC corp? Well a NPC corp you are your own boss you will ahve no time constraints and you wont feel you need to go to the corp op to help out also you cant be declared war on or attacked exept in low sec away from gates and stations or in 0.0. But in a corp you will be part of a small groupe of friends who will work together to hwelp each other out the ingame loyalty and team building is very strong.

3) How easy is it to switch from one corp to another and how acceptable is it? Very acceptable with any good corp just say why you are leaving and thank them for the good times. If however you are in abad corp where the CEO tries to stop you leaving then its probably jusrt as well you left anyway. Also if he stops you from leaving by giving you basic hangar roles to stop you leaving then petition it.

4) Is there any way to keep your stuff from being stolen when you're offline? Yes just dont give it to anyone or keep it in the instation personall hangar you get for free.

I do take issue with how the game is realistic. In reality if I spy on a company and leave stealing their stuff, I'll have state, if not federal cops looking for me and when I'm caught, I'll spend a lot of time in jail. That doesn't happen here. yes exept for the cops bit It seems to me that thieves can get away with just about anything and unless they're caught in the act, they face no consequences.Exept for the consiquences of the big angry corp that you stole from hunting you. Then all the player has to do is log off or switch to a different character and wait until the heat's off. What are the consequences of your actions

I also don't quite believe the "reputation" thing. It could be how it's run in a game but I don't think that say a rep like "LordSlater likes to gank newbies in 1.0" would be easy to spread. To keep up on all the gosip would be a full time job. (No offense intended LordSlater, I'm sure you don't attack new players in 1.0 sec areas. At least not often.) well thing is most people who do the low thing of ganking newbies in high sec do it with an alt so i guess reputation does hav meaning in this game if they do that.

I hope this helps im still farly new to eve but i think the answers here are pretty accurate.