Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cold Hard Truth from GD

13»

Comments

• KvaserKvaser Member Posts: 84

This game got my attention mostly because it had no elves in it! That is a big plus! And second I'm getting tired of the "conventional" fantasy mmorpgs. The genre need some new fresh blood in different scenery!

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Kvaser

This game got my attention mostly because it had no elves in it! That is a big plus! And second I'm getting tired of the "conventional" fantasy mmorpgs. The genre need some new fresh blood in different scenery!

A mobile is a mobile, and most are there to be killed . If the gameplay sucks it doesn't matter what you call a mobile cash cow it just won't be fun.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384

A question about the zombies in FE, what makes them any different from the zombies that exist in WoW, Vanguard and such?

• swainiacswainiac Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by RPGnub

1. post-apocalyptic setting:

This should win over a lot of Fallout fans or fans of post-apoc settings in general since the competition for this is *slim* among online RPGs

2. FPS combat:

Again something rare among MMoRPGs. Those games that had it so far pretty much failed because it was either implemented badly or the game was lacking in other vital areas. This feature is one of my personal favorites.

3. lack of good competition:

Many who wait for this are simply tired of fantasy settings and/or dumb grindfests which make up the current majority of MMoRPGs with only few notable exceptions.

4. Sandbox:

Those games have become very rare in favor of linear grind games so people are hoping for FE to deliver.

5. PVP War:

While restricted to zones the PVP will be more about capturing towns and outposts rather than just plain killing each other, again a personal favorite, hope it turns out as nicely as described.

6. Some more stuff: Mounted combat (this alone should make it a winner imho),  zombies, gore, lack of class restrictions, deformable terrain

There's more but for that you might want to browse the official forums.

Ummm 4 out of 6 were in Tabula Rasa as well and = Floptanza.

I hope FE is a great game but I have my reservations.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Originally posted by swainiac

Originally posted by RPGnub

1. post-apocalyptic setting:

This should win over a lot of Fallout fans or fans of post-apoc settings in general since the competition for this is *slim* among online RPGs

2. FPS combat:

Again something rare among MMoRPGs. Those games that had it so far pretty much failed because it was either implemented badly or the game was lacking in other vital areas. This feature is one of my personal favorites.

3. lack of good competition:

Many who wait for this are simply tired of fantasy settings and/or dumb grindfests which make up the current majority of MMoRPGs with only few notable exceptions.

4. Sandbox:

Those games have become very rare in favor of linear grind games so people are hoping for FE to deliver.

5. PVP War:

While restricted to zones the PVP will be more about capturing towns and outposts rather than just plain killing each other, again a personal favorite, hope it turns out as nicely as described.

6. Some more stuff: Mounted combat (this alone should make it a winner imho),  zombies, gore, lack of class restrictions, deformable terrain

There's more but for that you might want to browse the official forums.

Ummm 4 out of 6 were in Tabula Rasa as well and = Floptanza.

I hope FE is a great game but I have my reservations.

1) kinda.  If by post apocolyptic, you mean... small. 

2) No.  It was combat with guns, but my guns refused to shoot what I was aiming at.  That's not an FPS.  My bullets do not go whipping off to the side in an FPS because they decided I really had to shoot that mob my cursor was over for half a second rather than the actual threat.

3) Can't argue that.

4) HHAHAHAAHAHA  TR has the least sandbox-esque environment ever.  Seriously, if I could figure out a single way to change the environment in TR, I'd be shocked.  I think WoW might be more of a sandbox than TR.

5) TR has no PvP to speak of

6) TR has no extras, except perhaps the single most epically pointless crafting system ever thought of by mortal man.  Seriously, if the crafting system got any worse, it would spontaniously delete your operating system. 

So overall, TR has maybe... 1 or 2 of those features, tops. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

/agreed 

i was hyped about TR and all the things i thought would be cool    

however when i got into beta  i admit i had a lto of fun for what..oh the...first ten levels 

then they nerfed exp farming with my shotgun so i thought "awe man now i have to play the game instead of running and hitting everything

then about 3 days befoer it went live (after i had not touched the game for a few weeks) i decided that it was over hyoed and a complete waste of time

and i hope FE and be my  MMO (along with War)  and it looks great and promising

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

How did this [product] not appear on my radar? There I was bitching about the state of the MMORPG industry after another long sabbatical, and FE appeared inconspicuously on my radar under 'Games Under Development'.

From reading the synopsis of the game in this thread, I'm starting to sense a peculiar feeling: an odd, warm, fuzzy feeling enveloping me. Now, either I've just pissed myself, or I have a flicker of interest that is starting to flame.

Every feature listed in the synopsis receives a great, big 'tick' from me.

Time to head on over to the website and find out more.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

This game has been under a lot of people's radar, but almost all of them have the same reaction you did. A lot of people have been waiting for something to fill the sandbox/sci-fi mmo gap that opened when SWG went down the toilet. Good crafting, skill based, non-linear, non-fantasy and not overly simplistic.

Plus the devs actually listen to and interact with their potential customers. What a concept.

It seems that the small independent game developers are the only ones putting out anything that is not cookie cutter/linear/fantasy/wowish crap.

There are literally 40 people in my office that are going to buy this game when it comes out.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

Because Gamma World was my first paper and pencil RPG and since then post holocaust has been my favorite. Also, you can only play Fallout 1 and 2 so many time before you wish you had someone live to talk to.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

sounds awesome, just wish it wasn't fps. I must be one of the few people that don't mind button mashing.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Well they are still tweaking the combat system, and it is not necessarily going to be twitch based, crap.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

This is one of the very few games and game developers to really blow me away.  The only thing I don't really care for is the FPS action of the game, but I should be able to get over that.  I really like what I have seen so far though and hope it delivers on just a bit of what it promises.