Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if there was an Anarchy Online 2?

MynnoMynno Member Posts: 21

Was just wondering if Funcom decided to retire AO1 and come out with a graphically updated Anarchy Online with a whole new engine would you play it? Now I'm not talking about going the route Sony did with EQ2 and basically changing everything in the game to make it something totally foreign to it's fanbase. Just upgrading it to todays standards and possibly throwing in a few tweaks here and there.

I personally would run to the store to purchase it! And if they went the route of LOTR and offered a lifetime subscription I would  do it happily. I still miss playing AO but like so many others I just can't get past the graphics after being spoiled in other games.

I still tell people about the time I was in Omni and went into a restrrom during a mission and found a body stuffed into the toilet. That was just an awsome touch. Also while exploring I saw this huge mechanical thing walking down the road once and I just sat there at my screen totally enthralled by it. I only saw it once and every time I went to that area I hoped to spot it again but never did. I also use to just sit at my computer and watch the electrical storms. I miss that. The game was for me at least one of the best games of it's time.

At any rate like I said I was just wondering and if enough people said yes maybe an employee at Funcom would see it and they would do it. 

Comments

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    I dont think it will happen any time soon as funcom are working hard on realease a new mmo called age of conan , maybe after it's release we can only hope and dream .
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I played AO from the start, bugs and all.  I only left because of the (stupid IMHO) Shadowlands.  I think that pre SL AO was the best game I have ever played.  I dont think any game out today comes anywhere near it. 

However if they came out with an AO2 (without SL) I would get it.  I dont think it will ever happen.

Former Doctor, MA, Engineer etc.

OMNI forever :)

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Yeah i didnt like SL too much either , felt too everquest but some do like it better than the old world i prefer good old rubi-ka

clanner forever :)

• nynnivanynniva Member UncommonPosts: 235

If they made an AO2..I'd stand in line in the snow for a copy XD.

Gaming? That's not gaming!
    That's just people sat 'round in costumes drinking...

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

OMNI FTW!

And umm, certain parts of AO were really really well done, some not so much.

I think if they changed up the zones a bit, to make it more questy (than 90% random generated, and having to use 3rd party software to scan the missions to get the items you want) I would play.

Currently, I hate having to use a random mission generator 100 times over to try to find the one item I am looking for.

I think AO with a more WoW quest style (not saying WoW as a game, just saying their quests were well laid out) would be fun. I love the world, and the complexity of AO, just little features like the mission terminals were kind of bleh.

Once again, GO OMNI!

• DesaparecidoDesaparecido Member Posts: 136
    ao2 sounds nice

but only if it will be not made by funcom^^
  • CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Desaparecido

ao2 sounds nice

Talk about self contradiction

Correct me if im wrong,you obviosly like AO since you wan't AO2.But you don't wan't Funcom make it,the company that made this game you obviosly like.

Please elaborate,or atleast try make some sense in your statements

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Lack of options for mission grinding was what killed AO for me. I hated them. And rollerrats. And semi-empty world. No idea how those new expansions are today, so all this goes for old AO.

Point is, graphics were never a problem for me.
  • MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I loved AO until I reached level 85 or something around this and had to start "blitzing" (I think that´s how the guys in my org called it), that is using those 3rd party tools to find the right items among hundreds of random missions, in order to advance.

This sucked so bad that I immediately canceled my subscription.

I mean I didn´t feel like doing this for the next 135 or so levels ...

If an AO2 without the necessity to do that was releaed, I would return, I think.
  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I would buy it in a second... Would not hesitate a moment. I am so sick and tired of the MMO clones released today, the whole market is as interesting as watching an old lady knitting in a room without light. AO was original, in a great world, with a great storyline and two great sides fighting each other. The ONLY drawback AO has today is the old graphics. To be able to walk out into that world again, in lush modern 3D... A skill system that is completly open to all classes without limitations in what you can and cant do... Its one of the few games, if not the only one, that can say its mature and advanced and still look the costumer straight in the eyes. The rest, the moronic class system that a 4 year old can grasp and master in five minutes flat, all of them from EQ to Vanguard should be ashamed for calling themselves "advanced" or "complex".

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

Originally posted by Canigua

ao2 sounds nice

Talk about self contradiction

Correct me if im wrong,you obviosly like AO since you wan't AO2.But you don't wan't Funcom make it,the company that made this game you obviosly like.

Please elaborate,or atleast try make some sense in your statements

this company made an eq in space with nothing realy new

but i liked only grafics and the world (long time ago)

i can rember even the best gamestart in whole mmorpg industry

i will never buy another funcom game...maybe someone will buy ao rights from them hehe
  • CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233

i will never buy another funcom game...
    Your loss dude,still don't get why you hate FC so much though.
    Originally posted by Canigua

i will never buy another funcom game...
    Your loss dude,still don't get why you hate FC so much though. funcom has made the evil hecklers..and ruined fun in my first mmorpg
  • JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

AO2 now theres a thought.

I have been playing for sometime.  I'm not in a huge guild but im in a fairly notable one. 

A few things that  I would be looking at if AO2 came out. Would be.....

The End Game content needs to be done a bit better.    As it currently is from what I have seen.  End game is nothing but in-game politics.  If one of the RaidBot admins or R/L doesn't like you or your guild for whatever reason. They can simply deny you access to the zone.  Since Public bots pretty much control Zods/Panda.    If you do go their as a Org you have to have permission from the Raid Bot leaders,(WTF!?! lol) and if a Public Raidbot comes thru they expect you to die and zone out.  Even if you were there first.

A group of a few players Control the end game content.   Who gets to see it. who doesn't. When you get to go to the zone and when you don't.    I have an active account, tho I am currently not playing atm. And haven't for about a month. Public Raidbots  being the main reason.   

I have seen  people denyed access, and for the stupidest reasons at times.  I will say half the time it was justifyed to deny someone access. Because they might jepordize the raid or whatever...  But the few times that I saw it happen when it wasn't justifyed .  It seemed more like  a BotAdmin/RaidLeader  thumping his chest to feel like a bigger man.   It definatly made me step back and think why would I support this system.  

So if AO2 comes out. I would like to see end game content driven more towards Guilds and not public raidbots.   I don't know how Ao got to the point it is now with end game content.  My guess is.........  that the end game content was built with a lagrer 205/210+ player base in mind. Where even the smallest of orgs could man their own raids for those zones.  And for sometime now the reality was there was not enough high lvl players big enough to support Org only raids.  Execpt for maybe 1 or 2 guilds that could actuallly support a guild only Zods/Panda raid.

As far as the skill system works. I Simply loved it.  AO has one of the best skill systems in my opinion.  You can choose whatever class you want. and stick IP into any skill you want to. Every class has every single skill in game.  Tho for different classes each skill costs more or less IP depending on the skill.   So the variation between players of the same class can be pretty huge at times. Tho usually a general templete for IP distribution is often followed.

But the choice to be completely different and explore new possability's  is there.

If AO2 comes out,  i'll definately give it the time of day. Even if its the same borked up style of end game content that AO is today.  The game was way to much fun playing from lvl 1 to 150/200.

• WarblazeWarblaze Member UncommonPosts: 178
    I loved AO, the game just had the right "feel" about it if you know what i mean... Altough it sounds to good to be true, i would buy it without giving it a second thought.
  • nynnivanynniva Member UncommonPosts: 235

Whether you like Funcom or not, I really think that AO was the last 'good' MMORPG before the genre took a turn for the worse, with all the newer games 'lowering the bar' as it were, making games too easy, making characters all copies of one another, et cetera. AO was the last game where your skills and stats determined what you could wear and what you could do rather than your level. It was the last game where you had the ability to customize the direction your character would go in. The last game that had more than point click tab functionality. Implants? NCU belts? Wrangling on weapons? Mission customization beyond what later games like CoV, etc. offer? Lets not mention your own personal plane - the ONLY game I've ever played with a working flying transport that was any sort of reasonably easy to obtain.

From one character to another, you never knew what they were capable of. I've seen two people of the same class and level, one could solo in inferno and the other had trouble doing Ely hecklers ..why? Because build mattered. Choices you made on your character, mattered. Points you spent, mattered. It was a game that required some thought, some intelligence, and had a lot more to offer than mind numbing grind. While yes grinding hecklers was always an option for levelling up, it wasn't the ONLY option, until perhaps you reached the 'shadow levels' but as levels "beyond the level cap" they were meant to be difficult and as rewarding as shadow levels were...it was very worth it.

AO had good 'optional' pvp. Suppresion zones that people not interested could stay out of if they chose, a couple nice contested raid mobs, and the ability to flag up anywhere. And now with Lost Eden there are even more options - though I haven't played the new expansion. Notum Wars gave PvP a purpose other than ganking and glory, the tower bonuses and such were nice, also helped create a more guild vs. guild feel.

AO you could get to the level 200 mark completely solo, pretty much regardless of your class. I can't think of a single game released in the last 4 years that you could get past your mid 20s solo with any reasonable sort of efficiency. So all in all? Yeah, I miss games like AO, and I fear they are a dying breed.

If they were to make another game like it, you bet your a$$ I'd be there.
    There's a reason these games are still around after 6+ years, and new titles with the new rules flop within months.

Gaming? That's not gaming!
    That's just people sat 'round in costumes drinking...

• YukkioneYukkione Member Posts: 618
    I would play AO2 without a doubt. The toon creation/twinking in AO is without equal. I would hope that the endgame would be changed to take the politics out of availability of content.
  • DukarthDukarth Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by kb4blu

I played AO from the start, bugs and all.  I only left because of the (stupid IMHO) Shadowlands.  I think that pre SL AO was the best game I have ever played.  I dont think any game out today comes anywhere near it. 
    However if they came out with an AO2 (without SL) I would get it.  I dont think it will ever happen.
    Former Doctor, MA, Engineer etc.
    OMNI forever :)

Im in the same line of thinking, pre SL AO was the greatest, i miss those Newland crowds, going to Oasis at lvls 20+, killing Cyborgs at lvl 80+, killing mercs and Eel...*sigh* The good old times. After SL it was just heckler heckler and more hecklers. But it wasnt all bad though.

Former Soldier,

Freedom for the clans!

I wasted 20 minutes thinking about my signature.

• project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271
    yes i'd get it. i hope they would keep the same skill system but combat... quests and missions would need an upgrade. not random content you repeat to lvl 220.... but a story like funcom is doing with AoC... when you are trying to progress the story  your char development just seems more fun to me... like its not a chore.

die. <3

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I still think AO is one the best games ever created in this genre.

Admittedly at launch it was so bad that even I left, and I was something of a fanboy back then.

But everything about this game is, or at least was, pretty damn innovative.

AO along with AC was my introduction to online gaming and regardless of what happens I will not forget the impact it had on my online life.

I would jump onto an AO 1 with a new and better graphics engine really, the game lacks little aside from performance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• mukizumukizu Member Posts: 12

"Stand in line in the snow"... Nope, I'd stop the delivery truck to get AO2.

Heard they didn't want new engine on AO because players with older pc couldn't play - FC is just lazy!

Still love the game tho

If we aren''t supposed to eat animals, why are they made of food?

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by nynniva

If they made an AO2..I'd stand in line in the snow for a copy XD.
    So funny, I just looked at this title thinking exactly that. Where's the new one?! The concept of a futuristic mmorpg is a huge fav of mine and no one has come out with a successful one since AO.

Please come out with a new AO - the world would love it!

Course Star Trek online is coming maybe next year - hopefully it will fill that need for futuristic mmorpg.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

This idea is DOA.

Funcom has moved on.

You all should too.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

No ones clearly spoken for or against a AO2 coming out. I imagine Funcom would leave the possiblity idefinitely on the back burner as a possiblity. I mean come on, who closes a oppurtunity when you dont have to? I suppose after AOC they will have more assests to work with if the game sales well. *Shrugs* Nothings certain.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

AO was definetly a good game, unfortunately I don't like sci-fi as much as I like Fantasy otherwise it would have been one of my favourite games.