Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcements

OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Announcements

Posted By: Sanya Thomas 2007-04-06 20:14:11

With all the announcements I had to make, my first grab bag back... isn't a grab bag. I have some great questions out to the team for next week! But there's a lot of information in here, so let me get to it:

Newsletter news you can use! If your email address on file with us is from AOL or Hotmail, we did not send you a Camelot newsletter. You will need to register before you can see our new production. Everyone else – you may have seen the newsletter, but you won’t keep receiving it unless you sign up.

Head over here to see March’s edition, as well as to find the sign up page: http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/newsletter/

No, you’re not losing your mind, and that’s not a misprint on that page. All those who subscribe to the newsletter will start receiving in game rewards. It’s not too late to get the current prizes – a realm ability respec stone, and the Dragon’s Revenge cloak. There’s a third prize under discussion, and we’ll announce it in the next newsletter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roadtrip to Philly! Join us at Dave and Buster’s: http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/roadtrip/2007/April_07_philly.php Please, please, RSVP. We’re always glad to see you, but knowing how many people are coming really helps with the ordering of snacks and the packing of loot.

If you missed the last Roadtrip in Maryland, you missed Missy’s news. She’s going to be out on maternity leave soon, and our Miss Parizad is going to be heroically holding down the fort. If you’ve missed a grab bag recently, you might not know that Parizad is the community person for The Sims Online. She’s been training furiously for the last few months, and the roller coaster is heading up its first hill next week as Missy steps back and lets Parizad handle a week without training wheels. Y’all go on and be cruel – send in lots of Guild News and Scroll of Valor announcements, and help us break in the new girl!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s that time of year again: The MS Walk. And that means it’s time for me to link to a crazy group of gamers who do that voodoo that they do so well in Lancaster, PA – The Neener Neener crew. I have marched with this bunch before. It’s not pretty, but there is a lot of yappin’ about games and a whole lot of fun. I’m planning to be there with bells on. The N3 Walk, and the Penny Arcade toy drive, are the only causes I pimp out here on this page – and I mention them because they represent the best the gaming community has to offer. Gamers, helping other gamers. So get thee to http://www.neenerneener.net/?p=670 and join the fun. NeenerPalooza is not just about Guitar Hero. Oh no. There is also DDR. I can still hear it in my head. I was dancing fit to start a fire, when another game dev muttered, “Jeez, it’s not Stomp Stomp Revolution.” Okay, you had to be there. You SHOULD be there. Check it out, make a donation, or join us in Lancaster – pirate costumes optional.

The “Currently Defending the Realms” number on the front page? It has said 3745 since April 4th. That was 10:18 in the morning. The next time this feature breaks, I would appreciate it if it would conk out at PEAK time. The team responsible for fixing this, and other Herald elements that are not updating, has been changing offices this week, but is finally back on line. The necessary updates will occur over the next few days.

The following is very, very long. But if you’re anything like me, and configuring your keyboard into your elaborate personal setup is not a matter of grabbing the shooter template and moving on with your life, you should check it out. We posted these notes yesterday, but all that version did was create chaos and confusion. Please read, and please let me know if I’ve helped or made things dramatically worse for you:

USER SETTINGS CHANGES

Why?

Because the road to Microsoft compliance never runs smoothly. After our changes in 1.88, we received feedback that told us players running two different clients were not able to use different system settings (such as resolution, hot bars, and more). These changes are meant to address this issue.

Who?

All customers – even if they don’t use Vista – that have logged in since 1.88 went live.

When?

If you play on Pendragon, these changes are already in effect. If you do not play on Pendragon, these changes will be live on Wednesday, April 11.

What?

User.dat – and character files, both .ini and .ign.

Okay, what’s going on?

We have to change the paths that your information follows when it is stored during game sessions. We already did this once, as you recall. If you have not logged in to the game since 1.88 went live, you will find that nothing will change. The game will automatically check the pre-1.88 directory for you, and move your data into the new location.

For various and somewhat dull reasons, the game will only check that pre-1.88 root directory. The POST-1.88 paths are essentially being abandoned.

So, if you have logged in to Camelot since 1.88 went live, and you log in next Wednesday after the patch, you will find your hotbars, ignore lists, keyboard configurations, and more erased. I very much apologize for this annoyance.

If your live server characters would like to avoid that fun-filled hour trying to remember how you remapped your keyboard and arranged your hotbar, you need to follow the following directions on Wednesday, April 11.

Step by step instructions:

First, make sure you’ve set your computer to allow you to see hidden folders.

Next, launch the game, and get to the character selection screen. No need to log all the way in, just do this so that the game can create the new data paths.

Log out. Now, go to where the data USED to be. Remember, this only applies to people who logged in at some time since 1.88 went live:

Vista users: C:/Users/(your windows login name)/AppData/Roaming/Electronic Arts/Dark Age of Camelot

Everyone else: C:/Documents and Settings/(your windows login name)/Application Data/Electronic Arts/Dark Age of Camelot

Leave this old folder open for a minute. Now, go to the new folders. The chains are almost the same, but now, there is another bit at the end. The new bits are the names of the different clients:

…/Dark Age of Camelot/LotM

" "/DR

" "/Catacombs

" "/TOA

If you are a Pendragon player, you’ve got an even longer new file path!

…Dark Age of Camelot/Test/LotM

Etc., etc.

Okay. Select user.dat, (character).ini, and (character).ign files in the old folder, and copy them to the new folder.

Close everything.

Relaunch the game. Ta-da! I hope.

Special Cases

If you run two instances of the game using the same client, but you have different settings for each one (such as having all the bells and whistles turned off on the second client), you’ll need to do a little creative editing to give your destination folders unique names.

Open the root directory for the first copy of the game. Create a text file (using Notepad or some such thing) called paths.dat. In that file, type

[paths]

on the first line. On the second line, type

Settings=name1

(“Name” can be whatever you want.) Log into your first copy of the game and get to the character selection screen. Log out.

Now go to the SECOND copy of the game, and repeat the process. This time, type

Settings=name2

You have now created custom folders for your characters. Follow the directions under "Step by Step" for moving your .dat, .ini, and .ign files into the new destination folders.

Good grief. I sure hope that all helps. See you Monday.