Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is my pc is unworthy of the game?

Tivmmorpg1Tivmmorpg1 Member UncommonPosts: 28

It's odd, I regularly play WoW, Guild Wars, City of Heroes with no problems whatsoever videowise. But I can barely get LOTR to run even in Low mode.

Intel Pent 4, 2.8GHz, 2gig of ram,  256meg geforce 5200. Certainly not a cutting edge system by anymeans; but most games look quite lovely running on it and I usually experience little to no problems from lag/latency. But I can barely move around in LOTR, if my vid settings are above low, videos stutter or I get no sound. My characters look like something from 1997. Its sad.

I really have no desire to spend several hundred dollars on a new video card, let alone buy a new pc just to play this one game. Or is it my system? I realize this is beta (trust me Ive beta tested about a dozen games), and Vanguard gave me similar problems, which is why I did not buy that game.

If you have a bleeding edge pc with duo 8800s, please do not tell me how nice the game is running on your pc, okay? ;-)  But Im curious about people with pc's similiar to mine and if they are experiencing problems like mine. Or not.

My pc is virus and spyware free, it gets scanned daily. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this matter.

Peace now.

Comments

• JadarJadar Member Posts: 300

I'll wager that video card is the main thing holding you back. These new games are allot more demanding graphically than the last crop. But it can be set to a wide range of performance options, from absolutely butt-ugly to quite spectacular. Your card (and mine) is closer to the butt-ugly end of the spectrum. The game had some memory leaks and other problems that would make performance worsen the longer you played. Not sure if those are fixed yet. And really crowed areas would cause lockups regularly.

It would be nice if most MMO's were as flexible as WoW graphically. I had a good card die on me (6800U) with several months prepaid, I had to do something so I plugged in an old ATI 8500, and to my utter amazement it ran it fine. Unfortunately, it isn't realistic to expect new games to be so accommodating and the situation is only getting worse (AoC). Lets face it, sooner or later you gotta upgrade, I'm waiting for ATI to get their act together so I can get something reasonable this summer.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Your video cards is your holdup, everything else is fine. Dunno what your finances are like but Newegg has 7600 GT's for around a hundred or 7900 GTs for 200 or so US dollars. Either one would work great with your setup. My wife is playing with mopst of the settings at high and very high on a machine that is the AMD equivalent to yours except she has a 7900GT video card.

edit about halfway down the page this guy ran it on a AMD 2200, 1 gig of ram and a GEforce 4 card at minimum settings

www.corpnews.com/forums/viewtopic.php

I miss DAoC

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

LotRO is using the same engine as DDO, so reading from DDO's system requirement support page we find:

Minimum System Requirements:

Processor: P4 1.6 GHz or AMD equivalent with SSE
    Memory512 MB RAM
    GraphicsCard 64 MB Hardware T&L -compatible video card
    NetworkConnection 56.6 K modem
    SoftwareWindows XP, DIrectX 9
    DiscSpace 3GB, 5GB for high resolution

Recommended System Requirements:

Processor P4 3.0GHz or AMD equivalent with SSE
    Memory 1GB RAM
    Graphics Card GeForce FX or better with 128MB of memory
    Network Connection Cable Modem or DSL connection
    Software Windows XP, DirectX 9
    Disc Space 3GB 5GB for high resolution

If you are running below any of these requirements you may encounter graphical issues or poor overall performance which Turbine will be unable to troubleshoot.

I'm not familiar with the GeForce 5200 card, but I'm inclined to agree with everyone else and put the blame on the card. Your other components look fine to me.

• beauxajbeauxaj Member Posts: 245

It sounds like your Vid card.  Just a quick upgrade will fix it. and you don't have to break your bank.

Here's a list of 256 meg vid cards (agp and pci-e) all between $75-100 they range from your fx 5200 to radeon x1650pro

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1068309611+4027&name=%2475+-+%24100

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1068309611+4026&name=%2450+-+%2475

this is a list of $50-75 even on this list you can get up to a 7300 or an x1550, nothing that will scream but nothing that will break you either. 

I'm able to play Lotr on med with a laptop with a 9600w 128mb and 768megs of ram so you really shouldn't have that problem. with your system and a new card you should be able to get all the shinies i get w my PC.

• StoneysilencStoneysilenc Member Posts: 369
    Take a read through this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/06/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/

Most likely you have AGP so you can get a pretty good AGP card for fairly cheap.

The FX5200 was a VERY poor/low end card even when it was released.  I had a GF4 TI4800 that outperformed the 5200 (and most of the rest of the 5x00 series) and my card was a generation lower.  I currently run a Radeon 9800 Pro with a similar setup as you have except it's AMD and LOTRO runs beautifully.  Not really sure why your FX5200 makes it unplayable though.  How long has it been since you reformatted your HD and reinstalled XP?  I am guessing your computer needs a reformatting and reinstall.  At the least a defrag of your hd.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • irocz350irocz350 Member Posts: 29
    Well uhh... the recommended requirements says 128 meg graphics card, and that's what I have a radeon 9550 128 meg  and I run it fine like everything else. I wouldn't think it's the graphics card, one time someone told me to go out and buy some expensive graphics card when I had my Geforce 2 in my computer I just laughed at them and went out and bought a radeon 9550 for 40 bucks. Just speaking by experience, your specs seem fine enough and exceed even the RECOMMENDED requirements it's probably just the amount of players flooding the servers right now.