Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I quit before my 30 day free month was over.

I am not going to go into a long winded post about it.. Just wanted to give info to anyone else to help them make their own educated decision...

Character Customization: Complete lack of being able to make a unique character really is meh...

Character Models: Simply put I have a very high end computer with a 8800GTX card - everything cranked - Only lagging slightly when opening doors in certain areas... The character models are complete garbage.. They are too rigid and not life like at ALL... For the realistic look that they went with - the characters look completely awful...

Animation: Combat animation is unrealistic, rigid, and just downright bad.

PvP: The classes are so out of whack for a pvp server that I dont even know why they have them at all... You can't hope to play on one of those server as a melee toon ever. And yes, I understand that the game is PvE but it should be able to at least resemble balance a little in pvp.

Grind: While I do realize that this game was going to have a grind - You know it's bad when the company releases the game and then realizes that the EQ grind is TOO harsh (AkA getting like 1xp per mob at level 10 and needing 50k xp   (NOT EXACT numbers but close.) that they went a little overboard here.

Crafting: I really thought this was going to be a selling point of the game but leveling up my orc shaman as a crafter and seeing it in action.. It's kinda like ultima online with sub combines... It's not really innovative in anyway. =/

Movement: I guess this goes kinda in animation but I do not feel as though My character is moving... He feels more like he is sliding across the land... In World of Warcraft (Not to say it's the best it has PLENTY of faults too) I felt as though I was actually moving while touching the ground.. They did a nice job in WOW of making you feel like you were making contact with the world.

That's about all I can think of... I ain't trying to sway people to my point of view... Just posting this to help them make their own decision based on a little information from my perspective. Basically I expect more polish than this game will probably ever have unless it goes through some SERIOUS changes like EQ2 went through.

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Manmadegod

I am not going to go into a long winded post about it.. Just wanted to give info to anyone else to help them make their own educated decision...

Character Customization: Complete lack of being able to make a unique character really is meh...

Have to agree.  Isn't it amazing, despite the 2 dozen or so customizable sliders Vanguard provides for the players, you will always inevitable look like 1/4 of your character race.  Four hairstyles per race was also a slap in the face....especially since Sigil boasts to be the NEXT GAME.

Character Models: Simply put I have a very high end computer with a 8800GTX card - everything cranked - Only lagging slightly when opening doors in certain areas... The character models are complete garbage.. They are too rigid and not life like at ALL... For the realistic look that they went with - the characters look completely awful...

One of the current problems with Vanguard right now is the bugs with the 8800GTX card.  I have one also.  When I used to play Vanguard, I had to switch from an 8800 to a 7950 to get better FPS and other results.  When I wanted to play every other game I owned, I reverted back to the 8800.  It's a pain I know; but if you wanted faster FPS results without molesting your config files, this was the only other way. 

But I do agree with you.  The character animation is garbage.  When you look at the world and then look at the players you can easily tell the two does not belong together.  Someone either fouled up royally, or half assed it, or simply needed to get it done quickly for the Jan release.

Agreed.  Combat animation looks bad and nothing irritates me more than you not able to look at your target.  When I played, I often felt like a blind man whipping a sword around hoping to God that I'll hit that beetle again.

PvP: The classes are so out of whack for a pvp server that I dont even know why they have them at all... You can't hope to play on one of those server as a melee toon ever. And yes, I understand that the game is PvE but it should be able to at least resemble balance a little in pvp.

This was another issue I faced.  I think the PvP servers are more of a novelty stunt to entice WoW players more than an actual funcitonal server.  Who knows, maybe they'll improve this later on.

Grind: While I do realize that this game was going to have a grind - You know it's bad when the company releases the game and then realizes that the EQ grind is TOO harsh (AkA getting like 1xp per mob at level 10 and needing 50k xp   (NOT EXACT numbers but close.) that they went a little overboard here.

I left Vanguard one day when it came to me.  "Holy Crap" I thought to myself.  "This is an actual second job to me. Am I really having fun or am I trying to grind to amagical level where it will become fun?"

I turned off the game and sat there for about 10  minutes.  It was then I realized this game was designed behind a grind philosophy to get one hooked in the game.  The quests served no bearing to the world you were in.  Nothing you did effect anything in the world around you.  The quests were merely an instrument to dangle that carrot in front of your face to get you to grind just a little bit more.

The only other MMO that Ive played that practiced this philosophy as strongly as Vanguard was Lineage 2.  I left Lineage 2 as well because of that.   

Crafting: I really thought this was going to be a selling point of the game but leveling up my orc shaman as a crafter and seeing it in action.. It's kinda like ultima online with sub combines... It's not really innovative in anyway. =/

I was crafter full time.  My above paragraph was in reflection of that.

Movement: I guess this goes kinda in animation but I do not feel as though My character is moving... He feels more like he is sliding across the land... In World of Warcraft (Not to say it's the best it has PLENTY of faults too) I felt as though I was actually moving while touching the ground.. They did a nice job in WOW of making you feel like you were making contact with the world.

Agree as well.  In many places of the world you can see air between the ground and your feet.  They really did not execute the animation too well when connecting the player to the world.  Swimming is even horrible....including the water itself.

That's about all I can think of... I ain't trying to sway people to my point of view... Just posting this to help them make their own decision based on a little information from my perspective. Basically I expect more polish than this game will probably ever have unless it goes through some SERIOUS changes like EQ2 went through.

This is why I heavily encourage people to find a buddy pass first.  If you play it without spending money and ended up loving it then you know its for you.

If you blew 50 bucks (or a 100 like I did) and then you realize its still a piece of Sh**, then you're gonna sit there all pissed off.  I wouldn't recommend that on anyone.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    Absolutely.

Good post, Enigma.
  • BademBadem Member Posts: 830

Just one problem with the buddy passes

lots of people on websites asking for tehm and shame is a lot of them are RMT looking to get s foothold or use char for whatever reason in this game

this results in people not giving out the buddy passes unless they know the person they are giving it too,

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

I'm just really curious about one thing.   How am I to take the whole "stand up for what we believe in... Not touching SOE products" statement you made in the Gods and Heroes forum in relation with your statement you bought, played, but didn't like Vanguard?

(From Gods and Heroes forum - not Vanguard)

I had actually considered pre-ordering this game... Once I found that SOE was going to be a part of it in any way -I did not. SOE has a horrible history with me and MMO's... Specifically the whole SWG debacle, horrible customer support, and basically being a corporation of underhanded business tactics and telling flat out lies over and over... I will never touch anything they touch ever again...

Before the whole close minded argument you all keep tossing around on people that make decisions based on facts about a corporation - ala SOE - you all may wanna keep this in consideration... At least we have a spine to stand up for what we believe in and stay true to our word.. AKA: Not touching SOE products.

I'll be keeping my eye on this game to see how it fleshes out but I am no longer hopeful.
  • ManmadegodManmadegod Member Posts: 501
    Actually, I didn't drop any cash on it.. A friend from a past guild when I used to play EQ long ago... Bought me an account and came over to my house and was like dude, you have to play this game with me... So we sat there and he was telling me how awesome it was while I was installing - then patched it...

Anyways long story short - free to me... RL friend got it - so yeah, I installed it and quit in 2 days. heh..

Good catch tho, I don' mean that assly either... Glad you called me on it... I did try it Vanguard for free... but I had no intention of buying it.. Only way I woulda even considered to keep playing it was if it had BLOWN my mind.. :)

Actually, I didn't drop any cash on it.. A friend from a past guild when I used to play EQ long ago... Bought me an account and came over to my house and was like dude, you have to play this game with me... So we sat there and he was telling me how awesome it was while I was installing - then patched it...

Anyways long story short - free to me... RL friend got it - so yeah, I installed it and quit in 2 days. heh..

Good catch tho, I don' mean that assly either... Glad you called me on it... I did try it Vanguard for free... but I had no intention of buying it.. Only way I woulda even considered to keep playing it was if it had BLOWN my mind.. :)
    Ahh... I see.  So your statements of:

"I will never touch anything they touch ever again..."

&

" At least we have a spine to stand up for what we believe in and stay true to our word.. AKA: Not touching SOE products."

Only apply if the game stinks?  But if the game rocks, then it's just forum "banter"? 

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    My 30 days recently concluded and I had to decide whether to stay or cancel, and I chose to stay, for reasons I won't go into here. What I will say is that I can't say I blame you for canceling, and that many of your complaints are well founded (they are not game-breakers for me and they are for you -- that's the main difference).

My #1 complaint about Vanguard is what I call "the visual FX". I lump together into this group both the special effects (blasts of spells etc) and the physical character animations (punches, kicks, dodges, etc). Both of these are, in a word, lame. The spell effects are like something out of UO circa 1999. And the physical animations look like something out of NWN, which wasn't bad for 2001-2, but this is 2007.

I am not sure they will ever really improve these things.  I sure hope they do, but I have the feeling that the other big issue with the game that you touched on -- performance -- goes hand in hand with it. In other words, if they up the quality of the animations (by adding keyframes to what they have) or FX (by adding more particles, etc) there's no question but that we will take a performance hit.

As I say, so far I am sticking with it, but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that if they don't do something about the visuals in the next few months I'm probably going to take off also. It's not game-breaking yet, but it will be after a while.

They are still in beta (by their own admission) and I have seen other games with "place holder" animations in beta that then right before launch upgrade to something really wonderful, so I have a vague (admittedly unrealistic) hope that these will improve (and the SFX). But if the game gets to the "we're now out of beta and happy with it" stage from the devs, and the animations/FX are still this bad, I won't stay past that point.

So far people have made claims that the animation will or won't be getting better but outside the dev team nobody knows. I'm enjoying the rest of the game enough to hang with it for now, but as I say, that will not last forever.

C
    An interesting take on it and I must say I am guilty of trying Vanguard, but they didn't get my money so in my mind it would have been a slap in the face to a friend who payed for the game for me... To not try it when he drove 45 minutes to my house...

So I won't argue to point that I tried it - guilty...

The level of good it would have had to have been - would've had to blow me away in such a way to wipe the trangressions from the past SOE game debacles clean.... My friend knew that this was true but he honestly thought it would... To be honest he is a die hard Vanguard fanboi... Bought 3 pre-orders for his son, wife, and of course himself... So sure he was that I would love it - He bought me the game.. Didn't give me a buddy key of which he had plenty...

As for forum banter... Not really, you can tell by my post count - I don't troll on the boards too much... Just toss out a thread here or there...

For me to purchase anything SOE again - they would have to change their business perspective to a more stand up  business model... That almost certainly won't ever happen... Anyways this thread's gone off issue here... It's not like I eluded your question in my previous post - I tried Vanguard... I didn't buy it or purchase subscription to it...  :p
    I didn't say you tried to elude any questions.  I hadn't seen you post here before so I wanted to get a feel for what kind of poster you are. That's why I love being able to look back at poster's previous posts.

I happened to come across the post you made in the G&H forums and it threw up some red flags in my mind.  So, I put out the info for all to see.  You gave your explanation for the perceived inconsistencies.  So there it is.
    Yep, there was a little inconsistency there... I am however a straight up fellow and I ain't gonna lie about something like games... So for free... Sure, I'll play a game for free to try it out.... SoE even would try their games for free but I wouldn't give them a monthly subscription or purchase any of their products without them redeeming themselves not only as a game development company but as people. :)

Yep, there was a little inconsistency there... I am however a straight up fellow and I ain't gonna lie about something like games... So for free... Sure, I'll play a game for free to try it out.... SoE even would try their games for free but I wouldn't give them a monthly subscription or purchase any of their products without them redeeming themselves not only as a game development company but as people. :)
    I can appreciate that.

However, in your OP in this thread you said:

"I ain't trying to sway people to my point of view... Just posting this to help them make their own decision based on a little information from my perspective."

You admittedly have a higher standard for SOE "touched" games.  So, I just thought in the fairness of full disclosure that the readers who came to read your post should know where you were coming from. 
    That's fine and if it helps them out - I am current WoW subscriber who has a ton of high level characters.. I am a fairly hardcore gamer...

I have previously played for extended periods of time... Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest 1, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, Asherons Call, Ragnarok Online, World of Warcraft, Roma Victor (Awful)

So far my two favorite games were Ultima Online and SWG... Both due to the skill systems and the freedom of uniqueness... Crafting being major in both of those well they used to be anyways...

I quit SWG as soon as my main character a Bio-Engineering, Creature Handler, Pikeman was removed from the game completely... By that I mean I have not logged in to even patch the NGE since then...

I left Ultima Online when they split Tram and Felucca...

The best company I have paid to play a game has been Mythic.. They stick to their lore and balance their game fairly well for a level based game.

That's fine and if it helps them out - I am current WoW subscriber who has a ton of high level characters.. I am a fairly hardcore gamer...

I have previously played for extended periods of time... Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest 1, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, Asherons Call, Ragnarok Online, World of Warcraft, Roma Victor (Awful)

So far my two favorite games were Ultima Online and SWG... Both due to the skill systems and the freedom of uniqueness... Crafting being major in both of those well they used to be anyways...

I quit SWG as soon as my main character a Bio-Engineering, Creature Handler, Pikeman was removed from the game completely... By that I mean I have not logged in to even patch the NGE since then...

The best company I have paid to play a game has been Mythic.. They stick to their lore and balance their game fairly well for a level based game.

I stopped playing SWG shortly after the CU went in.  My main was a Creature Handler/Pistoler/Scout.  Some of my friends stuck around for the NGE, but they left shortly after that.  I too, haven't been back even once since. 

I agree that the skill system was great, and I hope that another MMO will try  that model again.

Edit: Thought I would add:   I think that the beginning of the end for SWG was the day the holocrons were announced and the whole Jedi grind-fest began.
    Originally posted by dragonace

I stopped playing SWG shortly after the CU went in.  My main was a Creature Handler/Pistoler/Scout.  Some of my friends stuck around for the NGE, but they left shortly after that.  I too, haven't been back even once since. 

I agree that the skill system was great, and I hope that another MMO will try  that model again.

Edit: Thought I would add:   I think that the beginning of the end for SWG was the day the holocrons were announced and the whole Jedi grind-fest began. I concur with the jedi grind-fest.. Should have been left out of the game imo... Anytime something Alpha is in - of course everyone is going to pass up the rest of the game and options to get it.
  • TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513
    Originally posted by Chessack

My 30 days recently concluded and I had to decide whether to stay or cancel, and I chose to stay, for reasons I won't go into here. What I will say is that I can't say I blame you for canceling, and that many of your complaints are well founded (they are not game-breakers for me and they are for you -- that's the main difference).

My #1 complaint about Vanguard is what I call "the visual FX". I lump together into this group both the special effects (blasts of spells etc) and the physical character animations (punches, kicks, dodges, etc). Both of these are, in a word, lame. The spell effects are like something out of UO circa 1999. And the physical animations look like something out of NWN, which wasn't bad for 2001-2, but this is 2007.

I am not sure they will ever really improve these things.  I sure hope they do, but I have the feeling that the other big issue with the game that you touched on -- performance -- goes hand in hand with it. In other words, if they up the quality of the animations (by adding keyframes to what they have) or FX (by adding more particles, etc) there's no question but that we will take a performance hit.

As I say, so far I am sticking with it, but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that if they don't do something about the visuals in the next few months I'm probably going to take off also. It's not game-breaking yet, but it will be after a while.

They are still in beta (by their own admission) and I have seen other games with "place holder" animations in beta that then right before launch upgrade to something really wonderful, so I have a vague (admittedly unrealistic) hope that these will improve (and the SFX). But if the game gets to the "we're now out of beta and happy with it" stage from the devs, and the animations/FX are still this bad, I won't stay past that point.

So far people have made claims that the animation will or won't be getting better but outside the dev team nobody knows. I'm enjoying the rest of the game enough to hang with it for now, but as I say, that will not last forever.

C
    Well, not to add to false hope, but EQ2 got a few graphic additions after launch. Namely in some run/combat animations so this sort of thing is not unheard of.
  • ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    Yes, so did SWG, though these were downgrades rather than upgrades .

I know it's not unheard of. However, we also haven't heard any indications that they even recognize how crappy their spell FX and combat animations are. So that makes me a bit concerned.

C
  • ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108
    If you like to grind,and a game who mechanics(basic things like how to group in a huge world) are poorly thought out... and want to play a game thats 5 months early in its introduction...you'll love VG.
  • monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

Quote from Manmadegod: Anyways long story short - free to me... RL friend got it - so yeah, I installed it and quit in 2 days. heh

It's hard to accept a review from someone who only played for 2 days....  Not sure how you could give a complete review of adventuring and crafting within that time frame... So that left 1 day for adventuring and 1 day for crafting?

Sounds to me you created a review based on what other people have written....

Play the game for 30 days then write your review.... As it is, you hardly spent enough time to get out of the noob area...

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by monoth

Quote from Manmadegod: Anyways long story short - free to me... RL friend got it - so yeah, I installed it and quit in 2 days. heh

It's hard to accept a review from someone who only played for 2 days....  Not sure how you could give a complete review of adventuring and crafting within that time frame... So that left 1 day for adventuring and 1 day for crafting?
    Sounds to me you created a review based on what other people have written....
    Play the game for 30 days then write your review.... As it is, you hardly spent enough time to get out of the noob area...
    Does character customization, animation, movement get better on day thirty?

Do the fundamentals of crafting suddenly change around that time as well?

Is it not safe to assume any grind experienced at low levels, is only going to magnify with the experience/leveling curve later on?

For all that he said, you really only need two days to come to those conclusions. It barely takes two hours to get out of a 'noob area', it definitely doesn't take two days.
  • mk11232mk11232 Member Posts: 217

I quit the game this week (and after droping the $$ for CE too) for various reasons, but the main reason is due to the crafting system.  I am a crafter, that's what I enjoy doing, making things that I cna use myself, give to friends, or sell.  I am also a casual gammer due to my scehdule.  This game is not designed for casual crafter-lovers.

Upon embarking in the world of Vanguard I knew that I probably couldn't make "good" crafting items at the low levels and woul dhave to work my way up.  But god damn I didn't expect the grind that it would take to be able to make any "good" items.  In the time I played, which is about 2 hrs a day or every other day, and longer on weekends, I made it to level...21 artificer.

With all the problems in the crafting system, and everyone knows that there were problems, lots and lots and lots of problems, crafting was fun, at first.  After lvl 11, you start to realize, "damn its gonna take X hrs to get on the next level.  What do you do for those X hours, you sit infront of the same benching, mindlessly clicking on the various actions, getting extreemly pissed off with the complications, doing work orders.  Do the work orders do anything?? not really, yes they give you a nice little xp boost when you turn them in, but as said before, its the "carrot" to make you grind till your fingers hurt.

Work orders are pointless, you make nothing usefull so you can get a little xp and gain a level for the chance that you can make something useful and fun.  This turned out to be ever so boring and not worth the effort in grinding.

But wait, there's more to this system.  Besides forcing you to grind, and you do grind, Vanguard added an incentive to NOT make any player items.  You get no xp, well for making it the frist time, for making a real player-useable item.  So as an artificer, I can make jewelry but get no xp.  So now your time is divied between making player items for money adn doing worthless wo's so you can grind.  At level 21, I could make 10 enchanted rings in 45 minutes.  The built in delays and combos necessary take up so much time that after making the real player-tiems you don't want to grind any more.  This is a real bummer, crafting was not fun but a chore.

And the final kick-da-nutz by Vanguard to crafters invovles the subcomponents needed ot make a real player item.  At a low level in any particular tier you would get this cool recepie for a jewelry, or a maul.  You wanta make it but guess what, you need a subcomponoent, wooden handle, and you don't have the recepie.  That's right, you would not get the recepie for the required subcomponent to make this coolass maul until you were 2-3 levels higher crafter.  This really is the ultimate "carrot" to get you to craft.  Bascially you get a Vanguard salesman which tells you at lvl 11 "Congradulations, for making lvl 11, its a real accomplishment and to reward you we give you this recepie for this maul, which you can make and use or sell.  We are giving this to you just for reaching lvl 11."  But once the salesman leaves you find out that hidden in the small print that while you may have the reward, you must still grind in order to make the subcomponent to make this wonderous maul.  Total shit.  But meh, I was lucky enough to have a character that actually could learn the subcomponent recepie.  Many artificer's characters became "patched" and were not able to learn the recepies so they couldn't make the sub components.

Well there's my rant, and my main reason for leaving vanguard.  Will it give it another chance in 8 months (when it should have come out)  NO.  I am moving on to lotro or aoc.  Vanguard is a great lesson for everyone: launching an unfinished game too soon in order to start collecting money while promissing (carrot to keep playing and paying) "in the works" is the best way to ensure an utter failure.  I think the press the game has receieved so far is proof of the game's poor prospects.

But I sincerely hope the game can find a stable base and live on, even if it doesn't become a great game.  I left a bunch of very old guildies that I love, and they love the game and are willing to stick with it.  So I do hope for their sakes that the game can survive in one form or another.

• whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544
    While I did leave the game myself, I gave it two months before I made a desicion on what I wanted to do. I am not quite sure if I feel that quitting before your free month is over is the best thing to do because had you continued to play you may either have found a great guild for you which would make the game a lot better, or you may have found an in game activity to do that you really enjoy. To each his own I guess.

• ThonyThony Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by mk11232

I quit the game this week (and after droping the $$ for CE too) for various reasons, but the main reason is due to the crafting system.  I am a crafter, that's what I enjoy doing, making things that I cna use myself, give to friends, or sell.  I am also a casual gammer due to my scehdule.  This game is not designed for casual crafter-lovers.
    Upon embarking in the world of Vanguard I knew that I probably couldn't make "good" crafting items at the low levels and woul dhave to work my way up.  But god damn I didn't expect the grind that it would take to be able to make any "good" items.  In the time I played, which is about 2 hrs a day or every other day, and longer on weekends, I made it to level...21 artificer.
    With all the problems in the crafting system, and everyone knows that there were problems, lots and lots and lots of problems, crafting was fun, at first.  After lvl 11, you start to realize, "damn its gonna take X hrs to get on the next level.  What do you do for those X hours, you sit infront of the same benching, mindlessly clicking on the various actions, getting extreemly pissed off with the complications, doing work orders.  Do the work orders do anything?? not really, yes they give you a nice little xp boost when you turn them in, but as said before, its the "carrot" to make you grind till your fingers hurt.
    Work orders are pointless, you make nothing usefull so you can get a little xp and gain a level for the chance that you can make something useful and fun.  This turned out to be ever so boring and not worth the effort in grinding.
    But wait, there's more to this system.  Besides forcing you to grind, and you do grind, Vanguard added an incentive to NOT make any player items.  You get no xp, well for making it the frist time, for making a real player-useable item.  So as an artificer, I can make jewelry but get no xp.  So now your time is divied between making player items for money adn doing worthless wo's so you can grind.  At level 21, I could make 10 enchanted rings in 45 minutes.  The built in delays and combos necessary take up so much time that after making the real player-tiems you don't want to grind any more.  This is a real bummer, crafting was not fun but a chore.
    And the final kick-da-nutz by Vanguard to crafters invovles the subcomponents needed ot make a real player item.  At a low level in any particular tier you would get this cool recepie for a jewelry, or a maul.  You wanta make it but guess what, you need a subcomponoent, wooden handle, and you don't have the recepie.  That's right, you would not get the recepie for the required subcomponent to make this coolass maul until you were 2-3 levels higher crafter.  This really is the ultimate "carrot" to get you to craft.  Bascially you get a Vanguard salesman which tells you at lvl 11 "Congradulations, for making lvl 11, its a real accomplishment and to reward you we give you this recepie for this maul, which you can make and use or sell.  We are giving this to you just for reaching lvl 11."  But once the salesman leaves you find out that hidden in the small print that while you may have the reward, you must still grind in order to make the subcomponent to make this wonderous maul.  Total shit.  But meh, I was lucky enough to have a character that actually could learn the subcomponent recepie.  Many artificer's characters became "patched" and were not able to learn the recepies so they couldn't make the sub components.
    Well there's my rant, and my main reason for leaving vanguard.  Will it give it another chance in 8 months (when it should have come out)  NO.  I am moving on to lotro or aoc.  Vanguard is a great lesson for everyone: launching an unfinished game too soon in order to start collecting money while promissing (carrot to keep playing and paying) "in the works" is the best way to ensure an utter failure.  I think the press the game has receieved so far is proof of the game's poor prospects.
    But I sincerely hope the game can find a stable base and live on, even if it doesn't become a great game.  I left a bunch of very old guildies that I love, and they love the game and are willing to stick with it.  So I do hope for their sakes that the game can survive in one form or another.
    My crafting experiance is very different from yours, made lvl 11(12 nearing 13 now) 2 days ago as a crafter and a new world opend up for me, really many new recipy's , yes lots of subcomponents, must say it did fel alittle bit as a grind getting to lvl 11 but lvl 11 is really great, yes we have to work together with other crafters but thats what makes mmo's so cool the way you can help eachother, yes we also see crafters that are only doing crafting for the high lvl stuff and its mostly those type of people that feel crafting is boring cause most they care about is xp (or that little "m,e" game they play), but most of the crafters i know really enjoy the stuff we can make in between, making good amounts of money, nice trades among us, making excellent gear for our adventures, helping with craft quest,  still placing 10 items on broker and sometimes(rare) there is 1 item left on sale but mostly its 10/10 sales so crafted gear must be good. Also the xp raite is pretty quick if you know how to use it, you gain xp from making lots of different recipy's, making not even all i could make at lvl 11 gave me a full skill and a few attribute points, also while crafting you also gain new recipy's or refining recipy's. Mostly  refining you start with 1/1 wich upgrades during the crafting procces in being able to make the same item 3/3 and for now i make most refine items 5/5 (dunno when skill goes up if this goes up aswell)