Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard 10th in Top Sales for February 2007

13»

Comments

• whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544
    People got stuck in places, people fell through the world, and the servers were beyong unstable at the launch of WoW, just like all other MMOs. Even now you can go to the Undercity and get stuck/fall through the world.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Originally posted by Sorrow

There are alot of people like my hubby and I that can aford the very latest cutting edge technology and upgrade on a near daily basis.

We manage to support four or five of our friends who can't afford to upgrades, by simply handing down our old stuff.

Well as long as you and your hubby are happy to flush money down the toilet by buying bleeding edge instead of waiting 6 months for it to hit a reasonable price - good on you. When can you send me a 8800GTX video card :)

On the rankings - it made 10 for the month of February - but it didnt make the top ten in the weekly sales list in any week since mid-Feb. So its not selling as well now as it did in the start.

Maybe Sony should actually spend some money advertising it. The only ads I have seen are banners on gaming web-sites. I remember when WOW was released there were ads on the sides of buses / trams / billboards etc.

I mean if they can spend $8 million trying to convince people in Australia to pay $1000 for a PS3 crap box - they should be able to spend some money on advertising this game.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by rwyan

Say what you want about WoW. WoW is #1 for a reason we are all unwilling to admit. Blizzard did a great job. It was the first MMO that felt "finished" at released. It wasn't perfect, but its no different than the opening night of a play where all the actors and crew hit their marks 98% of the time. MMO released before that was like watching a rehearsal weeks before opening night.

I don't play WoW because it's "finished feel" I play it because it's "fun". Same reason I play EQ2. I don't play VG because it's just a repainted pre-SoV/EQ1 game for the most part and contrary to what Brad would like people to think, MMOs have evolved past that.

Want to keep players around the game has to be fun and the goals to achieve must be reasonable. VG is neither of those.

• parmenionparmenion Member Posts: 260
    Everything is judged by the WoW sales stick these days, but honestly if you can just shift WoW aside as being the atypical phenomenon it is, MMO's don't sell in the top 20 on release often and certainly not over several months generally so VG's box sale figures back in reality aren't bad.
  • RPGBeechRPGBeech Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by parmenion

Everything is judged by the WoW sales stick these days, but honestly if you can just shift WoW aside as being the atypical phenomenon it is, MMO's don't sell in the top 20 on release often and certainly not over several months generally so VG's box sale figures back in reality aren't bad.
    We will see how well MMOs sell when LOTRO is released.

We will have the opportunity to judge again when Warhammer is released.

We will see it again when Conan is released.

It is easy to claim that WoW is an anomaly.  It will become harder to continue making that claim when other

games in the genre sell well.   Perhaps there really is a market for MMOs and perhaps the market is making

its thoughts known about vision (or potential) versus polish and function.
  • parmenionparmenion Member Posts: 260
    Indeed, we will see if  WoW can be duplicated. Personally I hope they do well and draw alot more gamers into the MMO genre. More choices is always good, the ridiculous competitive world view for some closed vision of market share that most MMO developers and fans buy into is largely divisive and pointless. It would be nice to see more revolutionary rather than simply evolutionary titles coming along also, however. MMO titles that might duplicate the success without feeling they have to duplicate large elements of the game.
  • Originally posted by Sorrow

Originally posted by itzit

The Thing that strikes me about the list, is that my 3 year old computer can run 17 of them. Maybe devs should quit trying to put out games that the majority of people cant run.

Errr no, thats a very bad idea.. 

Computer technology has made incredible unprecidented advances in our very own lifetime, mainly because of the never ending push for technology to keep abreast of imagination.

If software engineers did not consistently push the boundaries of technology, we would all be sitting around playing WoW with monochrome graphics, swapping out 1000+ 51/4 floppys as we progressed.

If you can't keep up, you aren't doing it right.

There are alot of people like my hubby and I that can aford the very latest cutting edge technology and upgrade on a near daily basis.

We manage to support four or five of our friends who can't afford to upgrades, by simply handing down our old stuff.

If you look around out there, there are tons of high quality upgrades at bargain basement prices.

Find a way to go to them, never ask game developers to come to you.

Thats true to a point, but I see no reason to upgrade. I am able to play what I want to on a 3 to 4 year old computer. If the Devs want me to play, they WILL have to come to me.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by RPGBeech

Originally posted by parmenion

We will see how well MMOs sell when LOTRO is released. LotrO will do well and most likely better then Vanguard did on release, just wonder for how long. I've read http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/lord-of-the-rings-online-shadows-of-angmar/769129p2.html and his last words make me want to read the review again and i began to worry about that monster play especialy when you really READ his review, read whats happening to him, then read he was talking  about "only" 75 people there, and then his statement how excited he is to see this live.

"and if a mere 75 players in Ettenmoors played out like this, I can't wait to see what it'll be like when the game releases"

Now indeed imagine this "live" meaning probebly more then 75 people, then think of his review again.

I admit is sounds pretty exciting but also know many people seem to really like pvp and this is the closest they will get in LotrO, so anyone know how "camp proof" these area's are?

We will have the opportunity to judge again when Warhammer is released. Warhammer and Conan are the only two that can compete with eachother as they more pvp oriented mmo's,  WOW/BC  might feel their breath, besides we talking about games that will come in about 5/7 months from now. 

We will see it again when Conan is released.

It is easy to claim that WoW is an anomaly.  It will become harder to continue making that claim when other

games in the genre sell well.   Perhaps there really is a market for MMOs and perhaps the market is making

its thoughts known about vision (or potential) versus polish and function.

The thing is with games like LotrO they made a very smooth engine for the game they are actualy preventing tech. to evelvo. Meaning that when Conan hits the shelves people might still be playing on the same hardware cause it makes them play lotrO max setting and we get back into the loop again people complaining about their system not able to run Conan. I'm happy that we still have developers that want to take risks even if those riskes don't show instant result we do see them being more prepared for the gaming future then deveopers like Blizzard and Turbine are doing, they want to please the instant crowed without really thinking of the possibility's of the future. What people seem to forget is that Brad never said he was not going to use a old formula, he WAS but was doing so different then we are used to. This is ongoing and might not even be felt by some people new to the more true mmorpg in the beginning but its sure is there.

• ZarthaineZarthaine Member Posts: 62
    Reklaw Wrote:

The thing is with games like LotrO they made a very smooth engine for the game they are actualy preventing tech. to evelvo. Meaning that when Conan hits the shelves people might still be playing on the same hardware cause it makes them play lotrO max setting and we get back into the loop again people complaining about their system not able to run Conan. I'm happy that we still have developers that want to take risks even if those riskes don't show instant result we do see them being more prepared for the gaming future then deveopers like Blizzard and Turbine are doing, they want to please the instant crowed without really thinking of the possibility's of the future. What people seem to forget is that Brad never said he was not going to use a old formula, he WAS but was doing so different then we are used to. This is ongoing and might not even be felt by some people new to the more true mmorpg in the beginning but its sure is there.

Personally, I'm tired of the hardware argument with this game.

1. The 8800 is the high end SLI setup for video.  While this card may have some issues, it runs most games fairly well. It's still running in the $400-$500 range.  Upgrading to this card will give you a marginal improvement in Vanguard at best and forget duel card support.
    2. Most systems come with 1-2 GB of DDR-2 Memory now, XP caps off at 3 Gigs, VG runs best with 3 Gigs+, thus going beyond the limitations of 3 Gigs one would have to adapt to Vista which VG and many other programs are not quite running to snuff with. Still, adding a Gig is another $100.

3. Want sound, plunk down another $100-$150 for a dedicated high end sound card if you don't want a performance hit, even though most people are quite content with the standard onboard 5.1/7.1 digital sound that their systems came with.
    4. Chunking and twitching got you down? Plunk another $100-$150 down for a SATA high performance drive like the Raptor. Add in another $35 for an advanced defragmentation program.
    5. Duel Core - ummm...we don't do that.
    Total: $735-$935

So the game was designed under a hardware platform that would be affordable say 6 months from now.  Pretending that prices drop 25% in the next six months, your still looking at $500-$700 in upgrades if your to have a PC that meets VG's standards.  The problem that I see in this is that something designed to be sold to say 150,000 to 300,000 subscribers should not be based around systems that maybe 10-20% of the gamers out there own at best.

Perhaps I'm rather simple minded when I think that such a system should have an amazing return in game performance and not just the ability to say "I don't have that much lag".

I will say that I totally enjoy the game on what I consider to be an upper end system, however I still run at High Performance and experience 15 FPS on average at best.  That's with a Duel Core 4.600 AMD, 2 Gigs of DDR-2 Memory, 7900 series 512 PCI-Express with a 16 mb buffer SATA drive.

Originally posted by Zarthaine

Reklaw Wrote:

Personally, I'm tired of the hardware argument with this game. Personaly, I'm tired of people thinking "tech" means hardware only.

The 8800 is the high end SLI setup for video.  While this card may have some issues, it runs most games fairly well. It's still running in the $400-$500 range.  Upgrading to this card will give you a marginal improvement in Vanguard at best and forget duel card support.
    Most systems come with 1-2 GB of DDR-2 Memory now, XP caps off at 3 Gigs, VG runs best with 3 Gigs+, thus going beyond the limitations of 3 Gigs one would have to adapt to Vista which VG and many other programs are not quite running to snuff with. Still, adding a Gig is another $100.

Want sound, plunk down another $100-$150 for a dedicated high end sound card if you don't want a performance hit, even though most people are quite content with the standard onboard 5.1/7.1 digital sound that their systems came with.
    Chunking and twitching got you down? Plunk another $100-$150 down for a SATA high performance drive like the Raptor. Add in another $35 for an advanced defragmentation program.
    Duel Core - ummm...we don't do that.

Total: $735-$935

So the game was designed under a hardware platform that would be affordable say 6 months from now.  Pretending that prices drop 25% in the next six months, your still looking at $500-$700 in upgrades if your to have a PC that meets VG's standards.  The problem that I see in this is that something designed to be sold to say 150,000 to 300,000 subscribers should not be based around systems that maybe 10-20% of the gamers out there own at best.

Perhaps I'm rather simple minded when I think that such a system should have an amazing return in game performance and not just the ability to say "I don't have that much lag".

I will say that I totally enjoy the game on what I consider to be an upper end system, however I still run at High Performance and experience 15 FPS on average at best.  That's with a Duel Core 4.600 AMD, 2 Gigs of DDR-2 Memory, 7900 series 512 PCI-Express with a 16 mb buffer SATA drive.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Originally posted by Reklaw
    Reklaw Wrote:Personally, I'm tired of the hardware argument with this game. Personaly, I'm tired of people thinking "tech" means hardware only.

Personally I am tired of people reposting peoples entire posts so they can add one line of comment in the post, or comment on a few lines out of a post.

For heavens sake people do everyone a favour and cut out the non-relevant crap.

Originally posted by _Shadowmage

Originally posted by Reklaw

Reklaw Wrote:

Personally, I'm tired of the hardware argument with this game. Personaly, I'm tired of people thinking "tech" means hardware only.

Personally I am tired of people reposting peoples entire posts so they can add one line of comment in the post, or comment on a few lines out of a post.

For heavens sake people do everyone a favour and cut out the non-relevant crap.

Sure  totaly forgot you are forced to read everything, come on dude get real please !!
  • aristoculousaristoculous Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Thony

Originally posted by Mars505

a. Conan/ looks really promising, but console crossing hmm and the concept of combat which is already tried in other games with very bad results, but they do have some very intresting features.

No other MMO to date has tried the combat approach Funcom is taking with AoC. I would love to see some examples of the games you think had the same combat system AoC is offering.
    SWG? not the aim type Conan uses but there is a small similarity, and remembering the responses when people needed to really aim their target wasn't a very welcome response. Conan goes deeper then that i know and hopefully they can put it right, but its pure speculations bro don't worry about it, only time will tell
  • squeaky1squeaky1 Member Posts: 172

That's odd...

I get that kind of average FPS on high performance, if not slightly better using, a P4 2.4, 1 Gb PC133 SDRAM, a 512 Mbyte x1650xt AGP, and a 7200 RPM UltraATA/100 HD.

How can that be?

- How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

- I don't know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?