Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sneaky?

I was thinking about trying a rogue, but I don't like sneaking up on things, I prefer frontal fights and mainly single combat. If I used a rogue I would use swords and read that if you use swords, you do just as much damage up front as you would with a dagger and sneaking up. So I just need to know if I could use swords and use frontal attacks instead of sneaking up.



Just as a side question, I was wondering when you get the duel wielding skill because I really want to duel wield.



Thanx!

Comments

  • BitonBiton Member Posts: 5
    man its been awhile but i think you get duel wield at 10. you say you dont like sneaking but the only real sneaking a rogue does is his opener if he gets the surprise on the person. You usually only do 1 or 2 attacks in stealth then its the in your face combat you were talking about. Rogues are alot of fun.
  • AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Crispy1513

    I was thinking about trying a rogue, but I don't like sneaking up on things, I prefer frontal fights and mainly single combat. If I used a rogue I would use swords and read that if you use swords, you do just as much damage up front as you would with a dagger and sneaking up. So I just need to know if I could use swords and use frontal attacks instead of sneaking up.



    Just as a side question, I was wondering when you get the duel wielding skill because I really want to duel wield.



    Thanx!

    Yes, it is possible to play a rogue with minimal use of stealth, but you will be a poor rogue, since you will miss out on many of your most effective attacks.



    If you like full frontal dps then I'd suggest you try a shaman. If you are specced for melee you will eventually acquire dual wield. Only downer is that when you reach max level you may be pressurised to respec as a healer.  Alternatively a fury warrior may suit you (although you will be expected to tank sometimes and will eventually be pressurised to respec prot).
  • Crispy1513Crispy1513 Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Antipathy

    Yes, it is possible to play a rogue with minimal use of stealth, but you will be a poor rogue, since you will miss out on many of your most effective attacks.



    If you like full frontal dps then I'd suggest you try a shaman. If you are specced for melee you will eventually acquire dual wield. Only downer is that when you reach max level you may be pressurised to respec as a healer.  Alternatively a fury warrior may suit you (although you will be expected to tank sometimes and will eventually be pressurised to respec prot).
    What exactly is a fury warrior I've heard a lot about them, but I haven't been able to figure out what they are.
  • BitonBiton Member Posts: 5
    all these charecters Antipathy talks about are myths. not really but i call them myth becuase at 60 you hardly ever see them. Basically their are a few main classes (rogues, priests, shamans, hunter, warrior, mage, warlock, paladin) and within the class their are 3 branches of talents you can go down that affect certain aspects of your charecter. For example i played a priest and a mage. For the priest the 3 trees where Holy (helped healing) Discipline (helped reducing damage and better buffs) Shadow (damage) and you put points you get (1 at each level) into these trees. The Fury warrior is one of those trees and he is basically just strait up damage and can take a little bit of damage but not as much as a protection warrior. The thing is if you ever plan on doing endgame content (not every one does) then you will most likely have to change your talent tree to help the raids. Also shamans usually are healers becuase they need healers in a raid. On the other hand though being a rogue (and hunter) is hard becuase they aren't rare in this game and are some of the most common classes. Just try a few classes out to level 20 ish but just have fun.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Crispy1513

    I was thinking about trying a rogue, but I don't like sneaking up on things, I prefer frontal fights and mainly single combat. If I used a rogue I would use swords and read that if you use swords, you do just as much damage up front as you would with a dagger and sneaking up. So I just need to know if I could use swords and use frontal attacks instead of sneaking up.



    Just as a side question, I was wondering when you get the duel wielding skill because I really want to duel wield.



    Thanx!

    No, you will not do the same damage with 2 swords as you would with daggers. You miss important skills like Ambush and Backstab. As a rogue, you have to kill quickly because of your low armor.



    Honnestly, if you want to use frontal attacks so much while using normal attacks...why not just roll a warrior, Paladin or Shaman?
  • Crispy1513Crispy1513 Member Posts: 21

    Which one do you think would be a better duel wielder, fury warrior or rogue?  And if I did go with fury warrior, would I have as hard a time as you say? Thanx in advance

  • AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Crispy1513


    Which one do you think would be a better duel wielder, fury warrior or rogue?  And if I did go with fury warrior, would I have as hard a time as you say? Thanx in advance
    Fury warriors with good equipment can do alot of damage and can be deadly in PvP.



    However they are less desirable than protection warriors for tanking. This won't matter for a lot of the game, since there aren't many protection warriors around, so many groups will take any warrior, druid or paladin as a tank (knowing which skills gain aggro is far more important than spec).



    However at endgame, the serious guilds need to have characters specced as tanks, such as protection specced warriors, to do alot of the content. Hence people will put pressure on you to respec. If you are brand new to the game, I wouldn't worry about such things overly much, endgame will probably take a first time player several months minimum to reach, and when you get there you will have a lot more experience and a much clearer idea of what you really want to do.
  • benhaminebenhamine Member Posts: 74
    I'd say roll a shammy and go ENH spec.  I have a 63 shaman on Nathrezim and I'm DW ENH spec and I love it.  Since, TBC you're not going to be forced into specing resto.  Now that Horde have pallys they don't need Shaman healers (shamans are the worst healers in the game).  You do a lot of up-front dmg with an ENH shammy plus you have your shocks and lightning spells for openers.  It's a really fun class.  I'd recommend at least trying it up to 20.  But you probably won't have DW by then .



    Anyways, yeah.  It was my favorite class back when I played WoW.  Don't play anymore though (Read blog below to see why--Shameless plug )





    -Benhamine
  • goomba667goomba667 Member Posts: 43
    Duel - fighting someone, usually 1v1



    Dual - two of something



    sheesh...

    SWG Refugee

    Bloodfin Server - Starke

Sign In or Register to comment.