Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enviorments/PvP Predictions?

Ya this game looks amazing good graphics good story variety in weapons/armor etc. 

What is the world going to consist of?  For example, some MMO's have a winter section and forest section and etc.  What will AoC have?

The PvP how it was described seems really really fun.  I am a big fan of big battles and I understand there will be some.  But, what do you guys think of the "Epic Battles".  Will they just be sieging or on the field or both? 

Comments

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283
    Is the whole first map going to (be) in the game?

If that whole map is already or going to be in the game thats a big #*$ world !
  • McPwnMcPwn Member Posts: 17

i dono =)

i dont find it that big
  • flowercivicflowercivic Member Posts: 31

Thus far their website is so rich with content it has my hopes up, but my problem here is that I wonder if they are spending too much of their money on hype, and not on the actual product.  A mainly because of Vanguard, but anyways...

The game is due to release in October... That's 7 months away, and no beta at the moment nor a wisper about it.  Granted it's the end of October, but when you typically go into open beta you are testing stress loads, content, and the overall fun factor of the game.  You need a little longer than 6 months of beta testing to be able to release a kick arse game. 

Granted I know that the game will have a few bugs, and I am cool with that.  Anyone that develops software knows that if they are good at least 95% of the bugs will be gone, but there are those few that will slip thru the cracks.  However on the flip side look at Vanguard... Tons of money on advertisement, and the after product... Hell, at launch numbers of starter missions for many races were broken.  (Well under the 95% mark)  You need a solid development team and people that can communicate to them on what is working, and what's not. 

Lets just hope that they are making sure to spend the majority of those dollars on development, and we see something promising.  Thus far I have been trying out others with no real grab to it. 

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by flowercivic

Thus far their website is so rich with content it has my hopes up, but my problem here is that I wonder if they are spending too much of their money on hype, and not on the actual product.  A mainly because of Vanguard, but anyways...
    The game is due to release in October... That's 7 months away, and no beta at the moment nor a wisper about it.  Granted it's the end of October, but when you typically go into open beta you are testing stress loads, content, and the overall fun factor of the game.  You need a little longer than 6 months of beta testing to be able to release a kick arse game. 
    Granted I know that the game will have a few bugs, and I am cool with that.  Anyone that develops software knows that if they are good at least 95% of the bugs will be gone, but there are those few that will slip thru the cracks.  However on the flip side look at Vanguard... Tons of money on advertisement, and the after product... Hell, at launch numbers of starter missions for many races were broken.  (Well under the 95% mark)  You need a solid development team and people that can communicate to them on what is working, and what's not. 

Lets just hope that they are making sure to spend the majority of those dollars on development, and we see something promising.  Thus far I have been trying out others with no real grab to it.

What the hell does this have to do with anything this thread is talking about?  Honestly ?
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    Originally posted by JackBauer24

Is the whole first map going to (be) in the game?

If that whole map is already or going to be in the game thats a big #*$ world !

No, that map is of the entire land of Hyboria as described by Howard. Including every bit of it would be nearly impossible for any game developer, even if they had an unlimited budget and no deadline. It would be like trying to fit a life size graphical representation of Europe into a game.

The ingame map will consist of important parts of the regions marked on that map as Cimmeria, Aquilonia, Border Kingdoms, and Stygia. Some other locations scattered around are included as well, such as the islands of Tortage.

Incidently, current ingame territory (as of last report on the issue) is over 300 thousand acres, so it is plenty big regardless. As to types of terrain, we've seen mountainous, jungles, beaches, deserts, snowy, hilly plains, forests, snowy forests...

P.S. Flowercivic, I really do not know what you are talking about. Funcom if anything needs to increase focus on advertising at this point, their cross section on the metaphorical radar of its potential customers is pathetically small right now. These forums know about it all right, but this is a haven for the dedicated MMO player, and does not at all represent the average joe that makes up most customers.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• killer4hirekiller4hire Member Posts: 57

Looking at some of the screenshots, you can see that there will be a lot of great looking environments.  I didn't notice any snowy or winter-like environments, but obviously that doesn't mean there won't be any. 

Funcom has licensed Speedtree for use in AoC.  Speedtree is a plant life solution for game environments, and is responsible for creating the awesome greenery in games like Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fatal Inertia, and a lot of other great looking games.  Check out there gallery at www.speedtree.com

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by flowercivic

closed beta is expected to begin in april.  so there will be at least six months of non-internal testing. 

so sayeth the interview here: http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2007/03/24/495992.html
  • CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Aelfinn

No, that map is of the entire land of Hyboria as described by Howard. Including every bit of it would be nearly impossible for any game developer, even if they had an unlimited budget and no deadline. It would be like trying to fit a life size graphical representation of Europe into a game.
    Well,it's more like Europe,Asia and Africa.And thats make it even more difficult,and would make more land in a expansion impossible if they impleted it right away
  • GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Personally I think it would be kind of lame to only have one type of enviroment. The maps looks very good, logical anyways. Not like WoWs where u have one mountain between every area, even tho it looks like there are alot of mountains here too...

• whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544
    Originally posted by killer4hire

Looking at some of the screenshots, you can see that there will be a lot of great looking environments.  I didn't notice any snowy or winter-like environments, but obviously that doesn't mean there won't be any. 
    Funcom has licensed Speedtree for use in AoC.  Speedtree is a plant life solution for game environments, and is responsible for creating the awesome greenery in games like Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fatal Inertia, and a lot of other great looking games.  Check out there gallery at www.speedtree.com
    There are snowy/winterlike enviornments in the trailer.