Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pissed off

AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
I started with a simple GM query.

My pet's growl icon had disappeared. Hence I couldn't turn growl off for PvP and my pet was continously wasting focus trying to taunt players. So I contacted the GM. After several suggestions that didn't work I was told to quit WoW and delete several cache directories and my addons.

So I did so. Now my interface is messed up. A few quick repairs and I can mostly get by, but  the add-on free game doesn't have enough toolbars and currently I can't see my ranged and melee toolbar at the same time. Crippling for PvP.

So I contacted a GM again. I was told that the only way to get my cat's growl icon to reappear is to completely reinstall the game. Bugger I thought as the vista of several days of endless downloads opened up. The GM seemed to think the problem is in some mysterious game database that can't be fixed by deletion or editing. But he won't tell me where it is on my PC.

Does this mysterious database actually exist? I just have a sneaking suspicion that the information is actually held server side and I will spend the next couple of days downloading rather than playing, only to find that the problem isn't cured.

Comments

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    Now, that unfortunately is a glitch. They owe you one my friend. Keep on them hard and heavy!

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Don't give enough info on what you are seeing to really diagnose.  But here are a few ideas :

*  You should be able to turn off Growl from the Skills Book Pet page, even if Icon is not on Pet Bar.

*  The Pet Bar can only hold so many pet skills.  So, if you have learned a new skill and added it to your bar, then you may no longer have room for Growl.  Try taking a skill off and opening up a space, then dragging Growl from Pet Skills down to bar.

*  If you can see no Pet Skills Bar at all, have you disabled it through the Interface options or one of your Add-Ons?

*  It may be that you have 'locked' your Pet Skills Bar and are not able to put new Pet Skills on it, so are not able to replace one of the skills there with Growl.

*  Have you recently acquired a new Pet, and have not yet taught the new Pet the Growl skill (although they should all come with it by default).

Don't know what else to think of.  More details on what you see exactly on screen in regards to your Pet Bar.  Also, you a Hunter or Lock?

Luck

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Shoal

Don't give enough info on what you are seeing to really diagnose.  But here are a few ideas :
    *  You should be able to turn off Growl from the Skills Book Pet page, even if Icon is not on Pet Bar.
    There is no pet skills bar. I seem to remember there being one at some earlier release of the game, but currently I see no pet skills tab on my skill book. I can see pet skills if I select "Beast Training", but these can't be dragged.

*  If you can see no Pet Skills Bar at all, have you disabled it through the Interface options or one of your Add-Ons?

I can see a pet skill bar, it is just missing a single icon, which was present within the last few days. The only changes my pet has undergone over the last few days is that it has gained a level and been trained with the passive skill shadow resistance 2.

*  The Pet Bar can only hold so many pet skills.  So, if you have learned a new skill and added it to your bar, then you may no longer have room for Growl.  Try taking a skill off and opening up a space, then dragging Growl from Pet Skills down to bar.

When you have trained the maximum number of skills for your pet the game doesn't allow you to train anything else. You get a message along the lines of "Your pet already has the maximum number of skills". My pet is already in this state, although the beast training screen shows growl as grey, indicating it has already been learnt.

*  It may be that you have 'locked' your Pet Skills Bar and are not able to put new Pet Skills on it, so are not able to replace one of the skills there with Growl.

As far as I can tell, skills can be dragged off of the pet skill bar, and it's likely I lost growl by accidentally dragging it off at some stage. However if I want to get it back I need to drag it back in from somewhere. But where?

*  Have you recently acquired a new Pet, and have not yet taught the new Pet the Growl skill (although they should all come with it by default).

I have had the pet for six levels now. I trained the pet to growl when I first received it (pets do not know it by default).

Don't know what else to think of.  More details on what you see exactly on screen in regards to your Pet Bar.  Also, you a Hunter or Lock?

Luck

Hunter

Another obvious option is to retrain my pet. Unfortunately the pet is King Bangalash. He comes with a special passive skill which boosts his attack speed but disappears as soon as he is retrained (no one on the hunter forums knows if this is a bug or a feature).

Hence if I retrained him I would take a hit to my DPS. Another alternative would be to go back to STV and tame a new King Bangalash. But then he would have to be levelled again, and levelling a new pet would mean both being temporarily crap until the pet has caught up and would inevitably mean gaining enough XP myself to take me out of my current PvP bracket (I'd prefer to hang around for a few more rewards).

• brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100

I'm at work so can't check (and a GM prolly would had said this if true) but isn't growl just under that general page of skills when you press the letter "P" - the tab that shows your racial traits, First Aid, Cooking, etc.  I know pet training is there and I'm pretty sure Growl is too for some odd reason (I know it's not under BM.)  I dunno - long time ago I went thru some UI Mod drama and that was real annoying - i've just basically scaled my stuff down to a few simple essentials so if they patch on me and kill my mod, it's easy to get it runnin again.

Anyways, good luck.

imageimage

No it isn't there. None of the pet skills show up on any page of my skill book.

The only place I can currently find pet skills is under beast training, and those aren't draggable.

I've experimented with trying to drag the growl skill from one of my junk pets (a bear I grabbed to learn claw 6) onto my normal toolbar. This caused the bear to also lose the icon for it's growl skill, and the icon didn't show up on my regular toolbar (not that I care, it's an unimportant and easily replaceable pet that doesn't like me anyway.)
  • peenkpeenk Member Posts: 270
    OP, if you are using any mods that are NOT released by blizzard than its not really their fault with any problems you have

What I do in ur situation is copy paste the ENTIRE wow folder and then tweak up mods and etc and if anything gets screwed I always have a reset point.

On a side note, I had to clean install my windows and I just copy pasted entire wow folder onto a different folder.  When I reinstalled my win xp I did not even have to install WoW, just made a shortcut to the old folder and continue playing from there ....

I really dont see how blizzard can help you with your mods problems if you think about the amount of different mods there are for the game, all you can do is back up the stuff that works before installing new stuff.

WTB Shadowbane 2

Originally posted by peenk

OP, if you are using any mods that are NOT released by blizzard than its not really their fault with any problems you have

What I do in ur situation is copy paste the ENTIRE wow folder and then tweak up mods and etc and if anything gets screwed I always have a reset point.

On a side note, I had to clean install my windows and I just copy pasted entire wow folder onto a different folder.  When I reinstalled my win xp I did not even have to install WoW, just made a shortcut to the old folder and continue playing from there ....

I really dont see how blizzard can help you with your mods problems if you think about the amount of different mods there are for the game, all you can do is back up the stuff that works before installing new stuff.
    Please read posts before becoming so opinionated about them.

I have already stated that when the problem occurred I was advised by a GM to remove all add-ons, and that this did not remove the problem.

I have also managed to reproduce the problem with no add ins installed. All you have to do is turn off "Lock action bars" and then drag an icon away from your pet toolbar. It disappears. Now how do you get it back?
    Ok - found the solution by posting on the hunter forum.

When I was looking at my spellbook, I was looking at the icons on the right hand side - general, beast mastery, marksmanship and survival. I couldn't see a pet icon.

The pet tab can actually be selected down the bottom. Pet skills can be dragged from there.

A pity the GM couldn't point this out and was suggesting radical solutions such as a complete reinstall. WoW customer support sucks.
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Antipathy

When I was looking at my spellbook, I was looking at the icons on the right hand side - general, beast mastery, marksmanship and survival. I couldn't see a pet icon.

The pet tab can actually be selected down the bottom. Pet skills can be dragged from there.

A pity the GM couldn't point this out and was suggesting radical solutions such as a complete reinstall. WoW customer support sucks.

Probably because he didn't tought you overlooked the pet tab in the spellbook that has always been that away since release.

It is a common problem of tech personnel to not think the most obvious solution first because they assume the users known what they are doing. Seemingly they don't. Not all the time though.

This is like an user calling customer support lamening the pc does not turn on. How many techs ask the user "did you insert the electrical plug?".

It is implicit they did.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• JWPikeJWPike Member Posts: 71
    WoW sucks balls anyways
  • AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

It's amazing how all WoW GMs are told that deleting the WTF folder and/or reinstalling the game will magically fix all your problems, despite the fact that all of the hotbar icons are stored server-side.

I would have told you to check for tabs on the bottom of the spell-book, but apparently you already figured it out by asking someone with a clue, instead of these useless GMs. Kudos to you.

Alot of prblems in that crappy game come form all the mods that people use.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Volkmar

Probably because he didn't tought you overlooked the pet tab in the spellbook that has always been that away since release.

It is a common problem of tech personnel to not think the most obvious solution first because they assume the users known what they are doing. Seemingly they don't. Not all the time though.

This is like an user calling customer support lamening the pc does not turn on. How many techs ask the user "did you insert the electrical plug?".

It is implicit they did.

as someone who works in a tech support like field, I agree completely. sometimes the most easy and obvious answer is the one we never think to ask about, I dunno if it's that we don't want to offend the users intelligence or what...

but, i'm glad you got the problem fixed

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by JWPike

Alot of prblems in that crappy game come form all the mods that people use.

how are 3rd party mods that people download and use at all related to the game being crappy or not

if peole have problems due to 3rd party mods they download, then it's their fault, the mod's fault, not Blizzards.

Yes, they give tools/support for UI customization, one of the strongest points of the game is how customizable the UI is. But Blizz also says they aren't responsible for any damage/problems caused by mods.

so stop inciting a flame war and go back to the VG forums (oops) lol

I guess part of my problem is that the pet skills screen is one that you practically never need to visit. Everything the pet can do is on the pet toolbar, which is automatically set up for you.

I think I may have been there once or twice before, but that would have been on my lock more than six months ago. But my memory is poor. Not surprised I lost the thing.

Getting back to tech support being crap.

I believe technical support is a skill. It involves patience. It involves taking the time to listen. It involves being able to explain things one step at a time and making sure the user is with you at every step.

Almost every time I have contacted WoW technical support, I haven't seen people demonstrating this skill. The tech support people continually look for easy mode solutions and act as if their time is 10 times more valuable than yours.

- try relogging, uninstall your add-ons, reinstall the game, are all typical remedies. Anything that gets you out of their hair for a while, even if it potentially costs the user several days of their time (as reinstalling from scratch may do).

I've played games with genuinely good technical support - e.g. support in Ryzom was very good (although I don't know if this has been affected by the change of management, and the game is worse than WoW in some other respects.) WoW has a lot of room for improvement.

First  Iam saying WoW is crappy not the mods. Mods as they are not built/tested by blizzard often have a few bugs from time to time especially when coding changes. Often a reload will fix the issues.

As for Vanguard I have not played. I have played WoW for months and as I see it there is no challenege ( unless you give up your life and raid or PvP for hours a night), the world is kinda small, and more and more kids or adults who act like kids are on it. Not to mention the morans that like to swoop from the sky with a level 70 character and one shot you while doing stuf becsue they are so pathetic in real life that is the only way to make themselves feel important becasue there is no penalty.

• goomba667goomba667 Member Posts: 43
    I remember hearing about a call a computer CS got once. The caller said his coffee cup holder was broken. Coffee cup holder? the CS says. Yeah, I just hit the button on the computer and a little tray came out that I could put my coffee cup on. I think the OP had a similar problem :D

SWG Refugee

Bloodfin Server - Starke

JWPike - you should learn to spell before insulting other people's intelligence.

And please use normal sized text. Your words really don't deserve any special prominence.
  • NigherisNigheris Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by JWPike

Not to mention the morans that like to swoop from the sky with a level 70 character and one shot you while doing stuf becsue they are so pathetic in real life that is the only way to make themselves feel important becasue there is no penalty.

Why did you decide to play on a PVP server? That is a part of the PVP server life, the big guy will always beat on the little guy or the little guy (And alot of times the big guy) will attack if you are half dead with 3 mobs on you. Is it a hard kill for them? No. Is it fun? I do not see how, but for someone it is i guess. If one of your gripes about WoW is being Ganked change servers...

Also, I see so many forum comments where people say WoW sucks, and it is normally followed by "I have a lvl XX and ... what ever" WTF are you playing a game you say sucks in the first place?

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors not his equals!!!

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    Most of the time those who complain that wow sucks are sucky players who can't hack it in wow. Talk about sour grapes. If you roll in a pvp server then expect to get ganked at anytime in a contested territory. If you can't take the heat of being constantly in danger of being ganked then don't roll on a pvp server.
  • paperclaypaperclay Member Posts: 53
    yah thats right and people come down here complaining for some stuff that they will surely face if they were on a pvp server...
  • JJD74JJD74 Member Posts: 45

Didn't have time to view all the posts, but have you tried running a bar addon, such as Bongos, or Bartender3?

Button positions, and where you've put them are, in fact, stored server side.