Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Feelings Here! Compare to WoW!

Comments

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586
    You know as a twelve-year-old hunter from WoW,  I'm really looking foward to this game.  Look forward to meeting you guys :D

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• AnneyTehMageAnneyTehMage Member Posts: 12
    The more, the merrier!
  • SnipanSnipan Member CommonPosts: 184

Its so totaly different games. Its like asking if carlsbergs new beer are going to rival coca cola. I hope AoC attracts more mature players, and leave the kids with WoW. There is billions of people on this planet, and AoC shoudnt need to fight over the same 8 million players as WoW. Its to early to say if AoC is a good game, but if it is as good as it looks like, it will be a hit. But i dont think they will have 8+ million players, or even close to that.

• GotredeGotrede Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Comparing a game to WoW is a pure insult, and I take serious offense to that, jerk. If an MMO can compare things other than the fact that they are MMO's then, wait nevermind. WoW isn't an MMO so if you can compare an MMO to WoW at ALL, that MMO has a sad, sad future.

"Those who don’t build must burn. It’s as old as history and juvenile delinquence."
    -Ray Bradbury

I'm sorry that you take offense, because I had no intentions of offending anyone. I hate to have to say these numbers again, but an MMO that has 8 million subscribers is obviously doing something right. A game will not just randomly have that many subscribers. Therefore, WoW IS in fact an MMO and a very successful one at that. Even if you brushed aside the immature players you've still got a hefty chunk of the mature players. Though I don't want to admit it, I'm sad to say that 3 million or so out of that 8 million would have to be the mature ones. That's the only sad thing about WoW, considering that's a very pathetic fraction. Nearly 2/3 players are a bunch of ignorant bastards. That I will agree to. Furthermore, I'm not comparing AoC to WoW as an MMO itself. My first poll was comparing subscribers and asking a  question whether or not people think AoC would eventually have as large a fan base as Blizzard does.
  • RNitestalkerRNitestalker Member UncommonPosts: 26
    i certainly believe AoC will do well and take some of that 8 million subscriber base away from WoW .. me included
  • RNitestalkerRNitestalker Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by whitedelight

The game does not need to rival it to be a hit. I do not see the point of this post other to incite future flames from WoW fanboys who only know how to repeat the words "8 million".
    /agreed
  • NooblordNooblord Member Posts: 202
    It is impossible to compare Age of Conan to World of Warcraft or, in fact any other game, MMORPG or otherwise seeing as nobody has really played it or knows fully the content and mechanics.

There are videos and there is information, but I wouldn't dare to make a comparison at this point in time.

Should I be asked to compare the concept of AoC to WoW? Well they are very different games indeed. It would appear that once again, I'm unable to make this comparison.

I seriously doubt any MMO in the future will ever hold such a large share of the market as WoW does at this time. Although I can see WAR, LotRO and AoC taking a bite out of those subscription numbers.

I'm sorry I couldn't do as you asked.

image .............image

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586
    Until this game comes out, nobody knows bugger all about AoC.  With all MMOs, even the best ones, we have seen how features get dropped, how developers can run out of money, how things can take a complete u-turn. More importantly, most of us have seen by now how a pre-release community builds up this picture in their heads of what the game is going to be like - AND THEY ARE ALWAYS WRONG.  It looks lovely from previews sure, some nice ideas and featues in there.  But then, what MMO doesn't promise ground breaking / next generation / the ultimate mmo experience these days?  I can think of a few, and they're regarded as failures.

So the WoW comparisons are just as valid as any other comparisons you might make, because despite all the hype that surrounds any MMO, it's all meaningless until the game is on the store shelves.

All it takes is a few shareholders to apply some pressure and BOOM, you have a WoW clone.

There's a difference between hope and dreams.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by AnneyTehMage

I'm sorry that you take offense, because I had no intentions of offending anyone. I hate to have to say these numbers again, but an MMO that has 8 million subscribers is obviously doing something right. A game will not just randomly have that many subscribers. Therefore, WoW IS in fact an MMO and a very successful one at that. Even if you brushed aside the immature players you've still got a hefty chunk of the mature players. Though I don't want to admit it, I'm sad to say that 3 million or so out of that 8 million would have to be the mature ones. That's the only sad thing about WoW, considering that's a very pathetic fraction. Nearly 2/3 players are a bunch of ignorant bastards. That I will agree to. Furthermore, I'm not comparing AoC to WoW as an MMO itself. My first poll was comparing subscribers and asking a  question whether or not people think AoC would eventually have as large a fan base as Blizzard does.

It's a shame when people quote the amount of WoW players. 8 Million.... Do you think that some religions are right and perfect because they have so many millions of people following them? Oh right... they must be doing something right... seriously lol

I don't think AoC will have that many subscribers but i believe it will have enough for the industry to give it credit as successfull in the years to come.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

please take into consideration of the words "i think" and "potentially popular" before you blab out your response, make it well thought out. but here goes my thoughts.....

I am so tired of people comparing eveyr damn MMO to WoW like it is the holy grail of MMO's its not. SORRY its not, yeah its done alot of things right, I will admit that. Its easy to get into, it has modest system requirements, its a casual oriented MMO meaning you can play it for an hour or so and actually get somewhere. The learning curve is very small, but it takes a bit to master certain classes and what spells interact well and combine to be good.

PVP although basic and no frill, is a bit fun at time in small doses.  gear at times can be limited, and not all that much variations between, but the sockets do add some variety to the stats.The questing as generic as it can be is at times engaging and fun, especially when you do dungeons with other groups or raiding. I dont think by any stretch  WoW is perfect or the best MMO,

In the end WoW does what it does very well, sort of a "jack of all trades" type of game.  BUt this flagrant flailing word association and references to WoW as the MMO to be like, BEat, or at least rival, is by no means a good thing, I think its a failed attempt by people who havent really had much experience in MMO's so therefore have little references and or experiences to draw upon so they end up saying hey this seems like WOW, its plays like WOW, its gameplay is like WOW, its PVP is like WOW blah blah. IS it bad game? nah its at times pretty good, like any MMO it has its up and downs. But with 8 million players a good reason to assume is due to its modest requirments, meaning you can have a reasonably low end system and play it with relative impunity, as well as it being cross platform so a person with a MAC can play it which further its accessibility further. Which i think is a smart financial move by BLiizzard.

What it all boils down to, I think people really need to stop associating WOW as the end all be all. sorry its not all that, it has its limitations they are blatantly obvious as you near the end game (if there is even one) I played til lvl 63 I have played BC quite thoroughly as well as the main game as well and its limitations start to glare and become apparent as you near lvl 60 and then onto lvl 70.

I believe it will come a point where WoW populaton will drop off and reduce as a new MMO takes its place. Those people who were fresh into WOW as their first venture into MMO will have the itch to experience further, and upgrade their computers to a newer specs and realize there is Life beyond WOW. AOC is a dramatic case of pushing the boundary not only graphically, but also through gameplay namely Im pointing out the Combat system which is richly interactive and controllable by the player.

Up until AOC has there never been such a truly "interactive and directly controllable" form of combat in which your ability to fight is dependent on your ability to move your mouse in certain key moves to implement strikes, stabs, slashes, and decapitations dismemberments which is a true hallmark of the original CONAN novels and black and white comics of the late 70's and early 80's  WHICH encompass violent, gritty, bloody intense battles.which I still happen to have. the environment will truly playm a crucial role in how you fight, but there is no sugarcoating the issue you will need a respectable rigg, as well as be a certain age to buy this game as it is a definitely a MATURE/ADULT tiered game so despite it being potentially popular will reduce and limit who can play it ( thats given the parents actually do their job proprerly). AOC is not the end all be all of MMOs, it is merely a progression of the genre, pushing the envelope, givng us a new interactive way to play, interact and be entertained.

there are of course also several other potentially popular MMO;'s coming out over the 2nd half of the 2007 and early 2008 such as Tabula Rasa, STO (though may push toward 2009), HUXLEY, LOTRO, SG-W, and WARhammer ONline. these will all get their chance to prove they are the next thing in MMO's. I wont deny that WOW currently holds some of the largest Populations in a MMO. but in the short term and long term that could and will change sooner than later given their pattern so far. It all comes to reason to believe that things change and people changes as do their taste and needs.

but this word whoring of WoW needs to stop and fast

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• SickpupSickpup Member Posts: 382
    there was an article in a computer magazine explaining why wow is so large.This also pertains to asian market games. Only about 10% of wow accts are US.the rest are predominately asian/pacific rim accts.The reason for this is that area of the world has no regard for intellectual property rights,and a developer would only sell a few copies.Then within weeks theres millions of cracked copies distributed.So in  asia especially korea,companies stoped single player game sales and went to a subscription based service.Korea also has much easier systems to pay accts with.So kids who cant get a credit card can play easily.where the 6million+ asian players migrate to next is anyones guess.I hope they dont make a showing at AoC,they have a history of zerging down and totally controlling servers on pvp games so bad that people had to re-roll to different servers.I suspect what many are doing is taking and conrolling all the prime leveling and farm areas,so if you want gold or leveled you have to pay them cash for it.
  • tehking30tehking30 Member Posts: 8
    WoW > all, AoC looks horrible there is no comparison it will blow and wow will live on as the best mmo ever except for runescape
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by tehking30

WoW > all, AoC looks horrible there is no comparison it will blow and wow will live on as the best mmo ever except for runescape
    LOL whatever nubbins, go back to RS the shittest game ever.

• whitedelightwhitedelight Member Posts: 1,544
    Originally posted by tehking30

Looks like somebody missed snack time...

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    (laughs at the wowwer) AOC looks good. I'm looking forward to beta. Now all we need is Arnold
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Don't underestimate the game is currently being developed for Windows and Xbox 360, that already ends the comparison, the game is targetted towards a very different audience, though many WoW players will most likely enjoy AoC, My personal prediction is that WoW numbers will drop  by the end of this year, other games have much higher replayebility's which WoW lacks as a mmorpg are heading this way giving players more choice in mmo's, i think most WoW players will hold with it for 2 maybe 3 years, many i know myself lasted 6 months to a year and this year will be a ruff year for Blizzard with more new games comming, WoW will still remain populair as new gamers will contineu to drop in and old players looking for their next game. AoC a titel to keep a eye on, all looks very promising but can't really say more untill we all had a change to get into the game and feel what it is like.
  • bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    I really cant tell at this point.  Too many games look crazy and end up being trash.  Also, to the people saying you cant compare WoW to AoC because they're different games... you can.  If I can compare Coca Cola to Pepsi to Shoprite brand, I can compare a MMORPG to another MMORPG.  The only reason why I wouldn't compare them at this point is because it's not out yet.  In all honesty WoW was the best MMORPG I've played yet.  Theres obviously a bunch of shit I dont like about the game but it had many good points. 

I came into WoW from FFXI (which was the 2nd best one I've played) where you HAD to group.  Being able to solo was a good thing because if I wanted to lvl I could do it myself.  Crafting wasnt great or anything but compared to FFXI it was a lot better.  Nomore putting in mats 1 by 1 and hoping they dont break.  The fighting was more action packed compared to standing there on auto swing waiting for your TP to go up.   Instanced dungeons (tho I hate raiding) IMO are way better than camping NMs and what not.  I was never a fan of the WoW graphics but I have to admit when I was in a forest it felt like I was in one.  Also getting new skills every 2 levels and talents made you feel the progression.

Keep in mind WoW was the 3rd MMO I played and at the time this is what made me like the game.  Also, since I compared WoW to FFXI, I haven't played that game since the 2nd expansion (which I didn't play).  All those things I pointed out are good... but for the most part WoW didn't bring anything new to the table.  They just improved on many things and made the game more casual friendly (not that casual) than others.

Unless AoC brings something completely new (and fun) to the MMO game... I don't think it will affect WoW.  I know many people are waiting for a real action type MMO.  If they can do this it will be a step in the right direction but I doubt it will be enough.  As much as I gave WoW praise I have to admit... I've been really bored of the game.  BC held my interest for a while but it was just more of the same.  If AoC isn't buggy or sluggish I'm pretty sure I'll be playing it.  If they make the game more casual friendly with enough content so you won't get bored I'm sure many more will too.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    F uck wow.
    Originally posted by bleyzwun

I really cant tell at this point.  Too many games look crazy and end up being trash.  Also, to the people saying you cant compare WoW to AoC because they're different games... you can.  If I can compare Coca Cola to Pepsi to Shoprite brand, I can compare a MMORPG to another MMORPG.  The only reason why I wouldn't compare them at this point is because it's not out yet.  In all honesty WoW was the best MMORPG I've played yet.  Theres obviously a bunch of shit I dont like about the game but it had many good points. 

I came into WoW from FFXI (which was the 2nd best one I've played) where you HAD to group.  Being able to solo was a good thing because if I wanted to lvl I could do it myself.  Crafting wasnt great or anything but compared to FFXI it was a lot better.  Nomore putting in mats 1 by 1 and hoping they dont break.  The fighting was more action packed compared to standing there on auto swing waiting for your TP to go up.   Instanced dungeons (tho I hate raiding) IMO are way better than camping NMs and what not.  I was never a fan of the WoW graphics but I have to admit when I was in a forest it felt like I was in one.  Also getting new skills every 2 levels and talents made you feel the progression.

Keep in mind WoW was the 3rd MMO I played and at the time this is what made me like the game.  Also, since I compared WoW to FFXI, I haven't played that game since the 2nd expansion (which I didn't play).  All those things I pointed out are good... but for the most part WoW didn't bring anything new to the table.  They just improved on many things and made the game more casual friendly (not that casual) than others.

Unless AoC brings something completely new (and fun) to the MMO game... I don't think it will affect WoW.  I know many people are waiting for a real action type MMO.  If they can do this it will be a step in the right direction but I doubt it will be enough.  As much as I gave WoW praise I have to admit... I've been really bored of the game.  BC held my interest for a while but it was just more of the same.  If AoC isn't buggy or sluggish I'm pretty sure I'll be playing it.  If they make the game more casual friendly with enough content so you won't get bored I'm sure many more will too.

Well said my friend! I completely agree with most of what you said. I would definitely agree to that fact that the release of BC only brought more asian farmers sending you in-game mail advertising their gold-selling websites. Also, the release of BC really only brought more content that I became bored of pretty much as soon as I hit 70. I tried the dungeons, and guess what? It's the same deal with everything: target, click, kill. And it's all for gear. That's what really got me. The whole point of the game is one massive grind to get better gear, with the whole PvP system based on your gear. If you have below average gear, you're cannon fodder.

The stupidest part is that Blizzard made Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj raid gear (also the PvP gear) obsolete by making the Outland gear just as good, thinking that they may be able to fix the gap between players gear. They failed miserably by creating Arena gear and Tier 4 and 5. Therefore, that gear difference will still be maintained even at the higher levels in Outland. What a joke.

Anyone who does play or previously played WoW and has a 70 would understand my feelings.
  • LiltheLilthe Member Posts: 2

In my opinion, AoC will appeal more towards the mature MMORPGers (hence rating M!).  WoW holds enough interest to capture adults, and children alike.  However, I think it will be a nice change to get away from the immature players, and actually concentrate on mastering your class.  The new battle-system sounds like it will filter out those who think they can just point, click, then run off to get a glass of water.  I'm looking forward to the new challenge, and to see how well they have incorporated  all the aspects of this game.

Anything to get away from the endless spamming and stupidity of some WoW players. :( I love the game, but god damn, I wish there were a lot less of those people.

• SickpupSickpup Member Posts: 382
    going from carebear wow to aoc is a huge jump.I dont think wow players could handle the brutal reality a pvp game requires.aoc is looking to the pvp king.I cant imagine the reaction of wow players as they watch thier city of keep sacked.theres better suggestions i would give wow players to ease them in.I believe WAR will be the transitional game,not aoc.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by bleyzwun

You can only compare the genre MMO but you can not really compare a pc only game with a game that is coming on pc + xbox, this has never been done this way so like i said before the comparison stops at only being a MMO which they both are, but totaly not compareble in the way the games might be released and even played. Now if WoW was also ported to the xbox then we could indeed say the games are compareble. Sorry because of this they are not.
    Bumped
  • flakesflakes Member Posts: 575

To the OP : what does it matter if it sells more then WoW to be honest?As long as the number of subscribers is healthy enough to let the game flourish and the players themselves like the game.

Also why compare a game not even in beta yet with a game that is out for over a year?