Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it?

2»

Comments

• LexxieLexxie Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by DemonZealot

Yeah, except the fact that it takes OVER A YEAR to get to that stage where you are now considered as being a  STARTING power player. Most games don't hold peoples attention that long. Especially one as boring as EVE. I would know, I played it for over a year hoping things would get better...yeah, it didn't. The ships get slower, the skills take longer to train, everything slows even more as you progress through the game.

And for the guy who said skills only go to lvl 5. That's just a cover up sack of crap. A huge percentage of skills have the "advanced" version of that skill. Which essentially allows the 3 year vets to have lvl 10 skills. Which makes everyone saying "skills aren't everything" seem even more ridiculous. Those are the people who have stayed in empire space and have never entered a gate only to be 2-vollied by a sniping tempest/megathron. Older players rule the game with impunity.
    Another previous poster said "killing battleships isn't that hard with a few friends in frigates". Which is another ridiculous statement as any older player with a good ship and t2 mods either does 10/10 deadspace complexes or solos lvl 4 missions. In case you don't know, either one of those requires you to withstand the fire of dozens of ships of all types at the same time, from frigates to cruisers to multiple battleships. So unless your little "gang" of buddies is the entirety of GoonSwarm, think again.
    Sorry But I have to disagree with you here DZ, on a few points:

1.    The ships don't get slower, unless you go the good old frigate>cruiser>battlecruiser>battleship (yawn) route.  Have you even seen any of the T2 ships (which you can get into a lot quicker than the time it takes to fly a battleship properly)?  Yes, the higher level skills take longer to train, but there's a reason for that...

2.    You seem to have a problem with SPs.  Ok, as an example, you mention the 'huge percentage' of advanced skills.  You mean the 28 specializations that give a massive 2% increase per level?  That's 28 out of 350 skills.  Actually the people who say "skills aren't everything" are the ones who go out & find that they CAN take on the vets, not the empire carebears.  It's weird; you say older players rule with impunity then in your very next paragraph give the best example EVER of low-SP players making a huge difference:  Goonswarm.  Established in June 2006 they are a supreme example of the right attitude and working together making a difference, regardless of skill points.

3.    Killing battleships isn't hard with a few friends in frigates.  Prime example?  Do a quick serahc for the Swarm Of Bees video, where a bunch of goons in NEWBIE frigates, by far the worst ships in the game, take down a Battlecruiser piloted by a 2-year+ player. 

4.    You obviously don't know the difference between a PvP setup & a missioning one.  Yes, a mission-fitted battleship may well be able to withstand loads of NPC ships pounding on it, but a few players in cruisers with the right damage types, NOS to drain the target's cap & some EW to cripple it's firepower & it'll soon go down.    Why do you think missioning/ratting ships are prime pirate fodder?  Because they aren't setup to fight other players.

You want an example?  Me and 2 friends from work created some new characters 2 months ago.  We're flying cruisers now and last week we took out a player in a Tempest battleship from a corp who'd attacked us.

By all means don't like the game, but please try & get your facts right first.  Cheers!
  • fiddefidde Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Lexxie 3.    Killing battleships isn't hard with a few friends in frigates.  Prime example?  Do a quick serahc for the Swarm Of Bees video, where 20 goons in NEWBIE frigates, by far the worst ships in the game, take down a Battlecruiser piloted by a 2-year+ player. 

That sounds cool but I searched but didn't find any video. Do you have a link?
  • LexxieLexxie Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by fidde

Originally posted by Lexxie 3.    Killing battleships isn't hard with a few friends in frigates.  Prime example?  Do a quick serahc for the Swarm Of Bees video, where a bunch of goons in NEWBIE frigates, by far the worst ships in the game, take down a Battlecruiser piloted by a 2-year+ player. 

That sounds cool but I searched but didn't find any video. Do you have a link?

Here you go:

dl.eve-files.com/media/0606/GF_Velator_Blob2.wmv
  • svicentesvicente Member Posts: 3
    Is it worth it? You bet it is! But EVE is not for everyone... it requires a lot of imagination, patience and social skills.

I started playing it last August (2006) and it is the first MMORPG which I payed to play and I don't regret (heck.. I don't like beer... so I don't spend money on it... might as well spend on EVE!).

I played until December and was really satisfied and ready to get myself inside a RP corporation. Unfortunately University and social life requires a lot of my time so I stopped paying in January because I wouldn't be playing that often, but now that Summer and more free time is coming, I'm starting to scratch myself when I think of Eve, so  will resume my character anytime soon (May or June). :D

Also like people said, Eve values more real life skills than those your ingame character learns (like you know, that just gives you some bonuses and let you use items), so it is very true that old time players can be defeated by new players (well... at least by newer players with less learned skills... not by first day players...)
  • Jizzlobber85Jizzlobber85 Member Posts: 20

People say at 3 month newb can beat a 3 year vet. Not quiet true, a 3 month newb can help beat 3 a year yet. Infact about 5 x 3 month newbs could be a very expensive 3 year vet battleship. 'Can' is a big word. SP wise yes it can happen buy 'skill' wise it wont. That 3 year old vet unless he is stupid would know how to defeat 5 3month sp pilots. Those 5 pilots wouldnt know the skill to hold down pilots, learn about transversal and other avd skills. Learn about how to manage your cap effectivly, how to deal with drones,  how to deal while being webbed, all of that. But a 1 year old vet and a 3month newb can defeat at 3 year old vet.

Skill is huge in the game. I was in a battle it was 6 of us,  I was in a ceptor, including another pilot, another was in a t2 cruiser and the other 3 of us were in batteships, vs about 20 ships, including 2 battleships and a couple of t2 ships, curse etc. We won that battle, we didnt kill them all, but they ran around. We lost at ceptor and killed a few ships. We did it with skill and not sp.

The problem that newbs lie is not SP its cash or isk I should say. It will take about a year of learning to fly all the cool ships but unless your in a 0.0 alliance/corp you wont be able to afford it. A fully fitted t2 battleship will cost close to 300mil plus and take about 8 months to train for it at least.

The good thing about the game is pilots are more important that isk in the game. You can have all the isk in the world, all the building parts to build 50 capital ships but you need capital pilots and there are so few of good capital pilots out there.  Its an amazing game on a large scale, in large conflicts, and politcally but a average game for a tiny npcing corp. Get into the action and its the best game ever

• bawldybawldy Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by svicente

Is it worth it? You bet it is! But EVE is not for everyone... it requires a lot of imagination, patience and social skills. by becoming a ccp buddy and then ccp will  give you info and items others will not get, ever...

I started playing it last August (2006) and it is the first MMORPG which I payed to play and I don't regret (heck.. I don't like beer... so I don't spend money on it... might as well spend on EVE!).  yaaaay, you dont drink but advocate the support of a company by sending them money so they can continue to lie cheat and play favorites with their buddies, and you don't even play the game now...

I played until December and was really satisfied and ready to get myself inside a RP corporation. Unfortunately University and social life requires a lot of my time so I stopped paying in January because I wouldn't be playing that often, but now that Summer and more free time is coming, I'm starting to scratch myself when I think of Eve, so  will resume my character anytime soon (May or June). :D  if you like supporting a company in real life that lies to the majority of its customers so it can play favorites with their buddies, would you have played then if you knew that ccp was lieing to you, cheating you, and worst of all, ccp wasn't doing this to just you but to the majority of the players...(all except their buddies)

Also like people said, Eve values more real life skills than those your ingame character learns (like you know, that just gives you some bonuses and let you use items), so it is very true that old time players can be defeated by new players (well... at least by newer players with less learned skills... not by first day players...) metagaming, and kissing arse of ccp are the only things one needs to "win" eve (or join the corp the ccp buddies run..or is it the ccp corps their buddies are in...)

ccp is a real life company, and real people should not enable a company to behave in the manner ccp has shown the world. If you think it is ok, then please buy this enron stock I have access to....

ccp the "we cheat for our buddies and are proud of it" company...

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

I think that the same things that pushed you away from the game before will push you away again. It will be OK playing for a month, but that's the point at which those annoyances will start to rub again.

EvE has a nice universe and many features implemented well, but if your primary focus is to have the competitive edge in PvP, then you will face those issues. It is a tough choice and the primary game killer for me as well.

As already mentioned, other games do the PvP far better if that is going to be your main goal.

Originally posted by Jizzlobber85

People say at 3 month newb can beat a 3 year vet. Not quiet true, a 3 month newb can help beat 3 a year yet. Infact about 5 x 3 month newbs could be a very expensive 3 year vet battleship. 'Can' is a big word. SP wise yes it can happen buy 'skill' wise it wont. That 3 year old vet unless he is stupid would know how to defeat 5 3month sp pilots. Those 5 pilots wouldnt know the skill to hold down pilots, learn about transversal and other avd skills. Learn about how to manage your cap effectivly, how to deal with drones,  how to deal while being webbed, all of that. But a 1 year old vet and a 3month newb can defeat at 3 year old vet.
    Skill is huge in the game. I was in a battle it was 6 of us,  I was in a ceptor, including another pilot, another was in a t2 cruiser and the other 3 of us were in batteships, vs about 20 ships, including 2 battleships and a couple of t2 ships, curse etc. We won that battle, we didnt kill them all, but they ran around. We lost at ceptor and killed a few ships. We did it with skill and not sp.
    The problem that newbs lie is not SP its cash or isk I should say. It will take about a year of learning to fly all the cool ships but unless your in a 0.0 alliance/corp you wont be able to afford it. A fully fitted t2 battleship will cost close to 300mil plus and take about 8 months to train for it at least.
    The good thing about the game is pilots are more important that isk in the game. You can have all the isk in the world, all the building parts to build 50 capital ships but you need capital pilots and there are so few of good capital pilots out there.  Its an amazing game on a large scale, in large conflicts, and politcally but a average game for a tiny npcing corp. Get into the action and its the best game ever
    important to ccp only, and their buddies...they need that cash flow coming in to keep the game going, so their buddies can have fodder to exploit...you can be a sheeple and play into this scam, or not...(look into how long a noob would have to train to effectively fly a capital ship...jeeeez, what a cash flow to ccp...)

say no to scum companies!

pay to play on a level field, not a game slanted by ccp to favor their buddies at every turn!

if you still want to support ccp, I have this great savings on enron stock and we should talk...

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

There wasant really a lot there we haddent already heard netherless a good read.

• fiddefidde Member Posts: 18
    Thanks.

Heh it's a swedish song, Rosa Helikopter xD
  • svicentesvicente Member Posts: 3
    LOL, if those stories are true, do you want more realism than this?! Is real life a fair "game"? I DON'T THINK SO, and if you really have enron stock, then it's nothing but the proof of that! (if you like to 'waste' you money, then do it on poker... better than the stock market! :P )

I have faith that if those allegations are true (and so it seems according to some of those that committed them), CCP decision-makers will do what has to be done.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

LOL, if those stories are true, do you want more realism than this?! Is real life a fair "game"? I DON'T THINK SO, and if you really have enron stock, then it's nothing but the proof of that! (if you like to 'waste' you money, then do it on poker... better than the stock market! :P )

I have faith that if those allegations are true (and so it seems according to some of those that committed them), CCP decision-makers will do what has to be done.

Oh yea the alligations are very much true

Talk about betraying the players i wish that guy was sacked [damn the double jepardy law].

Thankfully tho despite some mishandling at the begining CCP have done enough in MY opinion to redeem themselves somewhat.

Originally posted by LordSlater

Oh yea the alligations are very much true

Talk about betraying the players i wish that guy was sacked [damn the double jepardy law].

Thankfully tho despite some mishandling at the begining CCP have done enough in MY opinion to redeem themselves somewhat.

there is no law that prevents them from firing an employee that I can find in Iceland. If they have some weird local ordinance, then fire the &%^#@# the next time he makes a mistake of the slightest nature (common practice in the real world). If he farts in the office, makes one smartass comment to a superior, or forgets to dot on i ... the customers that were screwed by the ccp employee might just return to the game then...he is after all by ccp's own comments, on probation...

Yes they have supposedly put in place more little job titles to protect them...but those employees have been silent on the subject since the ceo of ccp said they considered the matter closed and will not pursue it further. (basically told the customers to F off and they will do what ccp damned well pleases when they so wish, and to STFU and take it without lube...)

CCP had the chance to ban those that they know violated rules, that got others banned for life....but no, ccp will not ban their buddies they helped all these years....

corrupt ccp employees, players that are ccp buddies shown favoritism, lack of equal rule enforcement has done far more to damage the trust the customers should have, then anything else.

paying ccp to play now is like buying enron stock AFTER they  were exposed. It only enables more corruption. Better that ccp go bankrupt and another, bigger company, take it over, and fire all the staff in ccp as their first role as new owners of the game.

...and it sucks that this is a reality, the game is top notch, but I can not support a corrupt company and highly suggest no one else do so. To enable behavior such as displayed by ccp will only encourage others to do the same. Do not encourage corruption.

When and IF ccp actually bans those that violated the rules blatantly, with ccp employee knowledge, then opinions could change, else, stay away from anything related to CCP.