Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Camelot, is it worth it?

I played DAoC until the  day WoW came out and never looked back. Trials of Atlantis totally butchered the game for me. I'm interested in starting again, starting at level one and seeing what happens. But I have a few questions.

One) Is RP Abundant or even Existant on Classic or RP servers anymore?

Two) What exactly is classic defined as? (PRE-SI, PRE-ToA?)

Three) Is the population even comperable to leveling from 1-50? Are there any groups, etc etc.

Thats it for now, appreciate comments.

Comments

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by attentivevow
    I played DAoC until the  day WoW came out and never looked back. Trials of Atlantis totally butchered the game for me. I'm interested in starting again, starting at level one and seeing what happens. But I have a few questions.One) Is RP Abundant or even Existant on Classic or RP servers anymore?Two) What exactly is classic defined as? (PRE-SI, PRE-ToA?)Three) Is the population even comperable to leveling from 1-50? Are there any groups, etc etc.Thats it for now, appreciate comments.

1. RPs are abundant, I don't know about Roleplaying. There are no classic roleplaying servers, but I guess there are a few guilds that are roleplayers even on classic.

2. The Classic ruleset is simply a server without ToA, it has all the other expansions. They also introduced range on buffs to make it harder to use a buffbot.

3. Leveling on the classic server has been a blast for me, I'v not seen this many lowbies since I satret playing DAoC 5 years ago. You will have no problem finding groups. The expingtime 1-50 nowdays is not compareble with the pre ToA days, in most pve-zones you get 150% expbonus and in RvR-zones you get 200% and quests gives alot of exp to. Every 5 day you get a freelevel if you have managed to level atleast one level by yourself.

I hope you try out DAoC once again, you will have a real good time!

• KerikaKerika Member Posts: 33
    Are less group-friendly classes (infiltrator, ranger, etc) able to find groups more easily nowadays?
  • SartagisSartagis Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Kerika

Are less group-friendly classes (infiltrator, ranger, etc) able to find groups more easily nowadays?

No.

Stealth classes are not desired in groups and many do not want them even if the group is not full. Getting a group for any class is much harder than it used to be due to multiple copies of areas and so many areas. Even the more desireable classes can have issues getting groups outside guild/alliance.

I played on classic Mid and more or less had to solo my hunter to 50 and thru champ levels. To quote someone who leads some of the battlegroups "Groups are for tanks and healers". Stealths have the least group desireabilty of any type and that is not going to change.

• mtnj356mtnj356 Member Posts: 4

WoW is a horrible game, consider rolling a new toon on a regular server, ToA is easy mode now.  End game DAoC is still the best I have played.

Just my 2 cents :)

• WerppaWerppa Member Posts: 211
    It is possible to get group if you're archer/stealther but it might be hard sometimes. I've seen many groups with hunter or sb in them

"I actually cook my meat with nothing but my burning hatred for vegetables"

• TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179
    I personally prefer the classic servers to the normal servers, since I absolutely detested ToA and the gear grind.

On a side note, even if you can't find a group to level with, you can fairly easily solo your way to max level within a week or two. I managed to hit 35 on my heretic with a little less than a day /played.

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• GfrantGfrant Member Posts: 14
    I really wouldn't recommend coming back. This is coming from someone who probably has 60+ days played total, and started playing in late 2002. The game really is on its last limb. Classics revived it for a while, but even now they are also on the decline. Things you remember from the old days no longer exist on Classics, for example: nobody goes to DF, everyone levels in rvr zones since there is double exp, there is NF which sucks in comparison to old, the populations are staggering, etc. As much as I miss old school DAoC I really don't recommend going back.
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    60+ days since 2002?  That is hardly any.  You started one year after release and even at that time it should have taken you around 50 days played just to get 1 level 50.  Just to get to 50 on my first two toons took me 90+ days in game.  I play fairly casually, and I think I have around 250-300 days played over the past 5 years.  That is only about 10 hours a week on average. 

1.  DAOC is not what it used to be.  And even if it was, you would not want to play it because what people miss about the past is not the reality of things, but their perception of how things used to be.

2.  DF certainly is not as busy as it was before, but people do use it.  But then again, are you really wanting to play a game to go into DF?  If it is because you want RvR action in a dungeon, then go out to the Labrynth. 

3.  People do not level in RvR zones.  Most of them level in the original zones.  Even if everyone were leveling in RvR zones, so what?  Is that so bad? 

4.  OF>NF  that is laughable.  Not that NF is great, but certainly OF sucked more.  Besides, before the end of summer there will be a NNF.

5.  So, if you want a game similar to this you have WoW (which suck), AoC (not out yet), and WAR (postponed again).  So if you are wanting to play a game now, then DAOC is your only real choice. 
  • bryansmith20bryansmith20 Member Posts: 2

Very much worth it. Your other questions have been answered with the same ones I would have done.

Classics brought back some of that old feeling for me. Back in the day this game was different but there's still life in her imo. You will find that there is great grouping. More people go RvRing now than before I left 3 yrs ago... although I was on a ToA server.

If you want good gameplay with a decent community, look into the classic servers. We are more than happy to have you here.

Btw... to the guy who has 60 days played... I had over 70 played before I quit 3 yrs ago on just one char. Not a feat.. just shows I had no life