Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets Talk MMO,.and we think it is..

I have seen alot of topics about what makes a MMO,.The part I want to talk about is,.How many players on a server do you think it needs to be a MMO?

Theres lots of games out there that vary in the number of players on a server.Some FPS games like BF games can have up to 128 players,.for the most part its max of 64 players or less..Theres MMO's out there that dont really have more then a 100 players on a server,.Roma victor/Guildwars and evin some WOW servers..

So whats the line? whats the standard? And whats the big deal?

From alot of players perspective a game needs 1000's of players,.or maby 10,000's or more,.but if thats the case then wow is not a MMO as it caps at 2500 players a server.Hell guild wars may only have 200 players max in one spot,.but in the field you can only have 8-32 last time I played.

As it stands maby only games with one server that has over 5000 is only a MMO like eve-online or WW2 online.So really whats the facts,?.whats the standard? and what do you think?

I think you need more then 128 players in same server or playing field,. but then that meens guildwars is not a MMO or DnD for that matter.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/4

It's as good a definition as any other.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Lt.DeadendLt.Deadend Member Posts: 325

Yes I know about that,.But its just this sites standard,and there is games out there that meet that standard that are not on this site.And to be honest GW and DnD dont meet that standard,.Im a fan of GW,.But I have never seen that many players in one spot.

I was asking the players,.not this site.

• LignerLigner Member Posts: 59
    The term MMORPG appeared after success of EQ www.mmogchart.com/. Generally servers of the "golden age" would have somewhat 3000-6000 people at one time. This days you can name MMO any online game which would develop and live even while you are offline.

Ligner

AC, AC2, EQ2, SWG, Horisons, WoW, Archlord, LotRO, Espado Granada, Vanguard
    Currently playing: AoC

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383
    twice as much as there are horde on the muradin server

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• benhaminebenhamine Member Posts: 74
    I realize this isn't the true definition of an MMO and that if you followed the true definition A LOT more games would fall into the category of MMO......BUT...... When someone says MMO I think of a massive world with many people interacting with each other and the environment.  Also the person creates an avatar and generally stays on the same server (with the exception of rare occasions such as server changes).  A NON-MMO would be like a normal FPS with many servers that you connect to at different times (i.e. Counter-Strike).

-Benhamine
  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

I actually would not place a certain number as the barrier. I think the definition lies somewhere else as in "does the game ends?"

Yes, you can have 128 players playing BF but for how long? and then? it is over. there is no continuation, no persistence. At best some character customization and advancement.

So, i think the key word here is Persistence. The world goes on even when you log off and it will never end and reset. THAT is what makes an mmorpg for me. no matter if the server keep 10, 100 or 10,000 people.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

Officially hosted, persistant server, with graphical, non instanced areas that in theory, hardware permitting has unlimited number of players, in which character/entity pro/regression occurs.

This would exclude purely instanced and "room" games and all these sport "MMORPGS".

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    I think you should start with the acronym. Here's what I believe it stands for:

Massively

Monotonous

Rental

Payment

Grind

It can also stand for Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls, but I wanted something that truly reflected the essence of the genre.