Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of re-subbing.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
This post is for current players of SWG. Not Pre-CU vets or anyone else that wants to flame.

I havent played in a long time. Since Pre-CU!  I am wondering what populations are like. Is the game somewhat fun? Is there anything left from pre-cu. My big worry is joining the game only to find it barren of population. Please be real on answering. I dont want hyped up numbers or fairytales that some people from other games like to tell.

I am choosing between SWG or DAOC. I cancelled my Vanguard account today as well as my WOW. WOW out of sheer boredom. vanguard because it truly sucks!

So your help is appreciated

Comments

• kavlikavli Member UncommonPosts: 82

geez..u will be in for a suprise if u havent played since pre-cu :)

but seriousely, ive played since beta and gone through all the changes (CU and Nge) if u really love the game u learn to adapt but imo its all about the friends u play with...

image[/URL]

• SWGforrevaSWGforreva Member Posts: 194
    if you havent played since pre cu and you actually liked pre cu I would advise you too stay far, far away from NGE SWG and the population has never been lower; everyone left after the nge
  • ArleronArleron Member Posts: 14
    Dont be swayed by idiots.

I resub-ed last week after a 2 year hiatus and I'm very very happy I did. Server population is Medium to Heavy on European Servers and Light to Medium on most NA servers. I play on Kettemoor and it's somewhere around Light Medium.

What really has impressed me is the tutorial...sucks you right into the World...amazing story arch called the Legacy Quest. I've run into a fair number of new players in Mos Eisley.

This is a much much better game now. Far better than NGE or pre CU or whatever. What the children fail to say is that a lot of people have COME BACK since the NGE and the game is rebounding very nicely.

After a few days, I bought Trials of Obi-wan and Rage of the Wookies. How's that!

oh, and all my stuff, all my money, houses, etc...all still there!! Go back and enjoy what Star Wars was MEANT to be...Jedi for EVERYONE--not just a few grinding click-monkeys :)

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Well, downloaded the 14 day trial from Fileplanet this week, playing a trader, a Hutt Shipwright/Pilot. And yes, I am enjoying myself a hell of a lot more than I did in both Vanguard and LotR. Even if its levels now, the general feel of the skillbase is there in the trader, you still plan and hunt for resources and experiemtn with your creations. I wont subscibe... but yes, its tons more fun than the "new generation" simplified clones of old games.

And yes.. I started SWG in beta. I know both the awfully old, the old and the new. I know the differences. Still stand by this. I dislike the level system of the other classes. But the trader is pretty much untouched.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329
    I just re-subbed my old account 2 days ago.. It doesn't feel like an RPG anymore. What I mean by that is the combat is not what you would expect from an mmorpg.

As a level 90 elder jedi, I have roughly 6 attacks, 2 stances ( 1 offense or 1 defense).. PvE is painful because its so easy.. You seriously cycle attacks 1-6 and toss in a heal every now and again, while staring at the same auto attack animation over and over again...

The game seems to revolve around restuss pvp now. Which is somewhat fun but will become really boring. Commandos are overpowered apparently.. I never fought one yet...Just saying what I've been told about them.. BH get to gank pvpers who are on the terminals.. Not just jedi, but all players who pvp.. So, if you spent a night pvping and the next night your just relaxing trying to kill some krayts or something, chances are high your getting ganked.

On my server, it seems BH are hunting in pairs... It's really unbalanced fighting 2vs1 or 3vs1. The actual pvp seemed retarded a bit too. You got spies who can cloak in mid combat and take off if there gonna lose. Or they can stick and move.. It's really annoying. One of the ranged classes has a root; which sucks as a melee class (jedi) cause all we have is 2 snares and a 7m range vs a 62m rifle..

Theres no knockdowns, no dizzy, no old states of any kind that I could see. Speaking as a complete NGE noob, but elder player, whoever has the best buffs will win.. Unless your a commando.. You pretty much tear it up against anyone except other commando's.

Again, with regards to commando's, I'm relaying what I asked people in the game... They are the alpha class.. Ranged have the upper hand over melee.. Their strat seems to be kiting and snare/rooting melee.. The only thing I found works as a jedi is waiting for the snare/root to break and force running the opposite direction and I also find in the same situation I'm running because I'm waiting for a healer timer to re-cycle.

All in all, I think it was a mistake coming back.. I was just getting so sick of eq2, I needed a change of pace.. SWG, is only a skin of what it formerly was. Everythings changed, pickup groups are non exsistent on naritus.. I still have yet to find help for HK quests and sher kar or whatever its called. There's a few quests leading up to those bosses I seem to be stuck on.

The only way I could see myself sticking around this game is by making new friends or seeing some old ones return.. Neither seem possible ATM because as I said, everyones pvpn it seems or in DWB soloing...

I totaly can't stand the targeting either. If you press y it makes it lock on targets which is 100x better than what the NGE first offered, but my problem is the target cycling.. It won't cycle the nearest target everytime.. It cycles farthest npc to nearest npc, or nearest to fartheest.. If someone knows a way to press TAB and target the closets MOB or enemy please tell me.. I know about mousing over the target then pressing X, and thats not acceptable IMO. I should be able to press tab and target nearest npc every time.. Not have it cycle every npc on the screen once till I get to the one I wanna attack.. Single clicking the target to highlight it would be nice too, but that doesn't seem to work either..

And ya, melee animations are still pouched..
  • BzrkBzrk Member Posts: 163
    You also could try the 14 day trial and see what changed like I'm doing now. Just install the game, create a new account(trial doesn't work with your old account)  patch for an hour or 4(maybe longer when you have an older copy) and you are good to go.

Enjoy! :)
    Can he even get off the space station on the trial?
  • ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by metatronic

I just re-subbed my old account 2 days ago.. It doesn't feel like an RPG anymore. What I mean by that is the combat is not what you would expect from an mmorpg.

As a level 90 elder jedi, I have roughly 6 attacks, 2 stances ( 1 offense or 1 defense).. PvE is painful because its so easy.. You seriously cycle attacks 1-6 and toss in a heal every now and again, while staring at the same auto attack animation over and over again...

The game seems to revolve around restuss pvp now. Which is somewhat fun but will become really boring. Commandos are overpowered apparently.. I never fought one yet...Just saying what I've been told about them.. BH get to gank pvpers who are on the terminals.. Not just jedi, but all players who pvp.. So, if you spent a night pvping and the next night your just relaxing trying to kill some krayts or something, chances are high your getting ganked.

On my server, it seems BH are hunting in pairs... It's really unbalanced fighting 2vs1 or 3vs1. The actual pvp seemed retarded a bit too. You got spies who can cloak in mid combat and take off if there gonna lose. Or they can stick and move.. It's really annoying. One of the ranged classes has a root; which sucks as a melee class (jedi) cause all we have is 2 snares and a 7m range vs a 62m rifle..

Theres no knockdowns, no dizzy, no old states of any kind that I could see. Speaking as a complete NGE noob, but elder player, whoever has the best buffs will win.. Unless your a commando.. You pretty much tear it up against anyone except other commando's.

Again, with regards to commando's, I'm relaying what I asked people in the game... They are the alpha class.. Ranged have the upper hand over melee.. Their strat seems to be kiting and snare/rooting melee.. The only thing I found works as a jedi is waiting for the snare/root to break and force running the opposite direction and I also find in the same situation I'm running because I'm waiting for a healer timer to re-cycle.

All in all, I think it was a mistake coming back.. I was just getting so sick of eq2, I needed a change of pace.. SWG, is only a skin of what it formerly was. Everythings changed, pickup groups are non exsistent on naritus.. I still have yet to find help for HK quests and sher kar or whatever its called. There's a few quests leading up to those bosses I seem to be stuck on.

The only way I could see myself sticking around this game is by making new friends or seeing some old ones return.. Neither seem possible ATM because as I said, everyones pvpn it seems or in DWB soloing...

I totaly can't stand the targeting either. If you press y it makes it lock on targets which is 100x better than what the NGE first offered, but my problem is the target cycling.. It won't cycle the nearest target everytime.. It cycles farthest npc to nearest npc, or nearest to fartheest.. If someone knows a way to press TAB and target the closets MOB or enemy please tell me.. I know about mousing over the target then pressing X, and thats not acceptable IMO. I should be able to press tab and target nearest npc every time.. Not have it cycle every npc on the screen once till I get to the one I wanna attack.. Single clicking the target to highlight it would be nice too, but that doesn't seem to work either..

And ya, melee animations are still pouched..

Jedi & BH are probably not the best examples of professions with expertise since they were the first professions to get expertise so they're missing some of the fancier toys that the other professions have that got their expertise later on.  Both Jedi and BH are due to have a minor revamp with Chapter 6 to give them some of these things.

Still, Jedi isn't exactly worthless.  I see you complained about being snared from a distance, but Force Run can break all snares and roots except for a Medics stasis.  While you're stasis'd you don't take any damage though.  As you've probably found, hitting your 6 damage specials all at once isn't going to get you far in PvP.  You're gonna need to figure out a better routine then that.

Commando is a controversal profession at the moment.  Again though, Commando is suppose to have some changes made to it with Chapter 6 hopefully address some of the controversy around it, but hopefully not nerf it so badly that it's not worth playing (pre-cu style nerfs, heh).  Also part of Chapter 6 is an AI improvement which should bring back a bit more spark to PvE.  In addition, a new quest series and a new Rebel themepark will be part of it too.

See my stickied thread at the top of this forum for some suggestions on ways to personalise targetting.  The best way to always target the nearest NPC is hit ESC before you hit TAB.  You could probably make a macro that will do that for you everytime you hit TAB, but I'd need to look up the commands.

Can he even get off the space station on the trial?
    Yes, you can play the game as if you were subscribed with the 14 day trial.

• TaniquetilTaniquetil Member Posts: 214
    I am thinking of re-subbing myself , already been and come back once.Basically because there was no-one on , my toon is on Azazi - Any idea how active it is atm?
    I don't play on Ahazi, but from what I understand it's one of the top 4 populated servers (Bria, Bloodfin, Euro-Chimaera & Ahazi).

• TaniquetilTaniquetil Member Posts: 214
    Thanks for that! :)
  • CatspawCatspaw Member Posts: 43
    Ive been back for 2 weeks nearly and yes, definitely worth another look :)  Populations are still no where near pre nge days but they seem to be on the up.  The games very quest lead, especially the 0-20 levels which are suprisingly fun to do.  Just finished me free trail and have restarted an old account so get to do a jedi from scratch to go with my old medic - dont forget you can have 2 toons on the same server now.
  • DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189

I can certainly relate to many folk on here! I've played SWG more or less since BETA, i've had first hand experience of all the changes implemented into the system, liked/disliked many. However, when NGE was announced, like many others i lost all faith for SWG and quit. I returned around three weeks ago, i was shocked to see the changes and decided to whine on the Vets forum. Well since then, as much as i hate to say it, the new system is certainly warming to me. As for population, i play on Scylla (Light/Medium) and all you have to do is travel to Mos Eisley and check out  all the new players arriving outside the starport. It's pointless complaining about it anymore, SWG isn't going to be what it was, but it's still here and going strong!

• freako969freako969 Member Posts: 105
    i resub for a month every time they release a chapter...and until the community comes back ill be cutting my subscription again every time.
  • freako969freako969 Member Posts: 105

also whilst im here sad enough to say the most populated and active server atm is TSPrime, lol. Which pretty much says it all.

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by freako969

also whilst im here sad enough to say the most populated and active server atm is TSPrime, lol. Which pretty much says it all.

And how did you come to this conclusion?

• ab29xab29x Member Posts: 364
    Originally posted by freako969

Ya think?

No kidding genius.  Its a fresh server, no pre-cu stuff.  All vet rewards are re claimable.  CS is available on this server.  No frogs.  Did I mention its new? 

Every new pvp server on WoW is just like a test center in a way.  Sooner or later they die out to a very small population.  Mostly.

I don't know if this server is going to be 24/7 with scheduled maintence and few other downtimes.   Although I doubt it,  if it is, it will be very popular. 

I just canceled again after re-subbing 4 days ago.. First time in game since about 2 weeks after the NGE.. Pvp is seriously screwed up. I'm not even gonna bother with any details.. Simply put, GCW buffs are not balanced. Commandos aren't balanced. Spies are completely annoying.

PvE is dead.. There's absolutely nothing remotely fun to do in game. I'm not a crafter.. never was.. so I can't comment on that but the games not the same. Honestly, the only thing that I would come back to at this point is pre cu.. not even pre nge servers would get me back because I hated that incarnation just as much as the NGE. The introduction of levels is what wrecked it all, and the combat system is boring. I ended up respecing my elder jedi again and he ended up with 3 attacks this time lol... 2 strikes and force choke.. WTF is that?

There's absolutely no tactics in pve or pvp.. its just a gank fest while pvpn.. Theres no armor breaks, no states, no knockdowns, no area attacks knockdowns, no stuns, no dizzy.. Its a brutally stupid system.. Commandos can macro weapons on and off so fast and stack mad dots.. 

I wouldn't even play this game again if it was free at this point..

And the communites dead.. These people saying they see heavy servers must be sony shills because I see nothing but light and very light with a few mediums (bria/ahazi).
  • RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

What profession were you playing?

Maybe you forgot to invest in Expertise points?

There's all kinds of stuff to do in the game and more is being added in the next chapter.

I just canceled again after re-subbing 4 days ago.. First time in game since about 2 weeks after the NGE.. Pvp is seriously screwed up. I'm not even gonna bother with any details.. Simply put, GCW buffs are not balanced. Commandos aren't balanced. Spies are completely annoying.

PvE is dead.. There's absolutely nothing remotely fun to do in game. I'm not a crafter.. never was.. so I can't comment on that but the games not the same. Honestly, the only thing that I would come back to at this point is pre cu.. not even pre nge servers would get me back because I hated that incarnation just as much as the NGE. The introduction of levels is what wrecked it all, and the combat system is boring. I ended up respecing my elder jedi again and he ended up with 3 attacks this time lol... 2 strikes and force choke.. WTF is that?

There's absolutely no tactics in pve or pvp.. its just a gank fest while pvpn.. Theres no armor breaks, no states, no knockdowns, no area attacks knockdowns, no stuns, no dizzy.. Its a brutally stupid system.. Commandos can macro weapons on and off so fast and stack mad dots.. 

I wouldn't even play this game again if it was free at this point..

And the communites dead.. These people saying they see heavy servers must be sony shills because I see nothing but light and very light with a few mediums (bria/ahazi).

You didn't play long enough to figure out any tactics ;)

For starters, no, there's no knock down attacks and they've said they'll likely never exist in the game again...mainly due to the speed of combat now.  But there are still other states.  Commando has an armour break, BH has Stun (root), Medic has Stasis, Smuggler has a ton of snares, Jedi has a debuff/snares/roots, and Officer has a bunch of debuffs. Of course, that's not all of them, just some highlights I could think of off the top of my head. You just need to play for more then 5mins to see them in effect ;)

• milton1970milton1970 Member Posts: 347

I've resubbed a few times and have grinded up to level 90 with my old pre-cu toon.The reasons for resubbing have been due to missing pre-cu and nothing to do with the advantages of the NGE. When a new chapter comes along my curiosity gets the better of me but sadly each time it's not worth it.

Get the trial, don't spend any money to play it. Email soe and say you want to try out the new changes, I tried it and they gave me 30 days on the account a little while back.

It's a totally different game, pvp is passable but not great like it used to be, pve is awful and there's no incentive to group which has massively killed the game and the community.

It's a subjective thing, if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't we all have our own tastes.

The population is poor in comparison to any period of the game pre-NGE though

• ArmySurplusArmySurplus Member Posts: 103

It truely depends on the server, I see at least 7 to 8 that are at medium all the time(when I play). Just start the game at your normal playtime and take a look.

I moved off a less populated server when I came back. It was hard at first because I left all my stuff behind(not paying 30-50 dollars to transfer), but its just stuff and Im having a blast. Id jump onto a fresh server in a heartbeat  if ever one became available and Im sure Im not the only one.

I played at release and I find the game alot more fun now than what it was back then. But thats my opinion, take the 14 day trial ride and have a look for yourself.

Family man first, Gamer second!

ArmySurplus makes no apologies if someone other than him has already posted his reply in part or otherwise. He can’t be expected to read every single post on a thread and makes no promise to do so. If you posted a similar reply before him you undoubtedly stole his thoughts and used them without his written authorization. Please return to your post and edit it so that his post is the first to state whatever the hell he was thinking at the time. Thank you!

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638
    Getting a group together is still fun.
  • MordahMordah Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by Arleron

Dont be swayed by idiots.

I resub-ed last week after a 2 year hiatus and I'm very very happy I did. Server population is Medium to Heavy on European Servers and Light to Medium on most NA servers. I play on Kettemoor and it's somewhere around Light Medium.

What really has impressed me is the tutorial...sucks you right into the World...amazing story arch called the Legacy Quest. I've run into a fair number of new players in Mos Eisley.

This is a much much better game now. Far better than NGE or pre CU or whatever. What the children fail to say is that a lot of people have COME BACK since the NGE and the game is rebounding very nicely.

After a few days, I bought Trials of Obi-wan and Rage of the Wookies. How's that!

oh, and all my stuff, all my money, houses, etc...all still there!! Go back and enjoy what Star Wars was MEANT to be...Jedi for EVERYONE--not just a few grinding click-monkeys :)

Oh yeah....thats what SWG was all about...Jedi for everyone!