Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Eye of the North -- Guild Wars: 2 - READ!! INFORMATIVE! POST OPINIONS!

2»

Comments

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Well Longasc, Neverwinter Nights 2 is pretty good.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Longasc

Well, we have years to wait for GW2.
    But what shall we do in the meantime.

Heh I'll just keep playing GW1 :D

Remember that their best bet to get people to play GW2 is probably to keep/maintain the current player-base. They may not release any more boxed content though I'm sure they have plenty of tricks up their sleeves.
  • ruegonruegon Member Posts: 63
    Yes I think having no levels  and using the skill point system would be better. But i would add that they should make it so you can spend your skill points on any class ! while your primary class determines your stats ( as it is in GW ). this would give them a easy edge on other mmos

Do not mistake Indifference for Hate. Nor Kindness for Weakness. for this is the Bane of Judgment !

• PhantomGunPhantomGun Member Posts: 18

When I first heard about this and read a little about it I didn't like what I saw. Today however I read the statement on the official Guild Wars website. Then I continued on to read the interviews they had posted links to. Now i'm kind of having a change of heart. A lot of the features for GW2 actually sound pretty good. I am dissapointed that it may not feature a campaign though. I like the story lines that have been released and it made the game more interesting for me. There is one thing that I read in one of those interviews that does worry me though. I'll go ahead and post the part i'm talking about.

"When you land in a new world, O'Brien explained, you don't want to have to read a bunch of skill descriptions, you want to run around and jump and swing, so that's what you'll be able to do in Guild Wars 2. It's meant to be a learn-by-doing sort of situation--rather than have overly complex skills that take an excessive amount of brain matter to understand, players will learn less complicated skills that they will be encouraged to test out in any situation they can think of. What happens if you use this skill while jumping, or that one while surrounded by monsters? Who knows? Give it a whirl and find out! Strain referred to it as "emergent complexity," and if it works the way they say it will, I shall personally send them each a fruit basket. Having a wide variety of skills in a game is great, but the amount of reading and memorizing you usually have to do to have even the most functional ability in an MMO is enough to drop me into a deep state of catatonia."

Now that I got that out of the way, How many of you found the skill system in Guild Wars "to complex and hard understand"? I don't recall seeing any posts or any other form of people saying the skills are to hard to understand and the game should be simplified even more. It's the skills mainly that made it possible to create and test so many builds, along with your choice of second proffestion of course. Ok I admit that the idea of being able to swim and jump does sound appealing, but if they plan on dumbing the title down, I may have to pass on this one. That's for GW2, not the expansion. One final not as far as the subject of skills go, won't the unlimited level cap, or even a 100 level cap turn GW from a skill based game to a "i've played longer" game?

Then again it is way to early to tell what will happen and how GW2 will turn out in the end. They may change their minds on a few things before beta, and again during beta. So I will keep my eye on this game and later decide what to do.

-------------------------
    Currently Playing: VCO
    Waiting for: Florensia, Age of Conan, Aion, & Guild Wars 2.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by PhantomGun
    (...)
    Now that I got that out of the way, How many of you found the skill system in Guild Wars "to complex and hard understand"? I don't recall seeing any posts or any other form of people saying the skills are to hard to understand and the game should be simplified even more. (...)
    The PR-machine of NCSoft has alot of nonsense (that example is one of the major ones), the PC-Gamer article said that the community(!) did not have time to finish the chapters when a new one was released (I have yet to read any thread saying a chapter is too big)...
    What I do recall is that most players have complained on the LACK of content & that it takes too little to finish the chapters.

I think the 100 level-system is just a smokescreen to hide the fact that they cannot make good PvE areas for end-game. (PvE endgame right now is to fight against much higher level monsters with the help of specific skills & that goes (imho) against the versatility of the GW skill-system.)

If they do end up simplifying GW2 then ill just chalk it up to corporate idiocy & not bother with it at all.

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979
    no duh. we all know.  gees dont you read the other topics?
  • AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

Originally posted by JelloB2000
    What I do recall is that most players have complained on the LACK of content & that it takes too little to finish the chapters.
    Most PvE players. PvPers have been overwhelmed by the number of new skills to unlock, and suffered the consequences of having 10 classes to balance.
    The metagame has been broken for a while and things still aren't as balanced as they should be; furthermore, by adding new campaigns it becomes almost impossible for new players to get into the game. ANet must have realized this and turned around from that direction.

• MesmerindaMesmerinda Member Posts: 31
    Some truly awesome news, really looking forward to re-visiting Tyria, Cantha and Elona as one big, persistent on-line world, I love all three continents really, even Cantha's asian setting even though the campaign perhaps wasn't as strong, I still loved the place itself, both the rolling green hills of the newbie island and the city-based environs on the main-land.
  • Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    I'm quite interested in GW:EN, it looks quite good but when they released the info, but tbh GW2 is coming out in another 2 years, I probably doubt i'm that faithful in GW to get GW2 since Warhammer Online is coming out by the makers of DAoC :D. I do think some people love GW that much and will stay with it.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• DrTHDrTH Member Posts: 41
    I dunno i mite get GW2 but somethin tells me its gonna be a grind... if they hav the good stuff of GW1 then its all good, but i don't want to waste my time farming for junk like... a rock that can turn into steel or gettng pots. But wat i rly want is huge battles with lots of npcs like random warriors or eles turn up and try kill each other, but dont hav it rigged like a lvl 100 guy comes along and just own every1 cos he spends more time click on stuff
  • krowtenkrowten Member Posts: 1
    it's nice
  • TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by PhantomGun

When I first heard about this and read a little about it I didn't like what I saw. Today however I read the statement on the official Guild Wars website. Then I continued on to read the interviews they had posted links to. Now i'm kind of having a change of heart. A lot of the features for GW2 actually sound pretty good. I am dissapointed that it may not feature a campaign though. I like the story lines that have been released and it made the game more interesting for me. There is one thing that I read in one of those interviews that does worry me though. I'll go ahead and post the part i'm talking about.
    "When you land in a new world, O'Brien explained, you don't want to have to read a bunch of skill descriptions, you want to run around and jump and swing, so that's what you'll be able to do in Guild Wars 2. It's meant to be a learn-by-doing sort of situation--rather than have overly complex skills that take an excessive amount of brain matter to understand, players will learn less complicated skills that they will be encouraged to test out in any situation they can think of. What happens if you use this skill while jumping, or that one while surrounded by monsters? Who knows? Give it a whirl and find out! Strain referred to it as "emergent complexity," and if it works the way they say it will, I shall personally send them each a fruit basket. Having a wide variety of skills in a game is great, but the amount of reading and memorizing you usually have to do to have even the most functional ability in an MMO is enough to drop me into a deep state of catatonia."
    Now that I got that out of the way, How many of you found the skill system in Guild Wars "to complex and hard understand"? I don't recall seeing any posts or any other form of people saying the skills are to hard to understand and the game should be simplified even more. It's the skills mainly that made it possible to create and test so many builds, along with your choice of second proffestion of course. Ok I admit that the idea of being able to swim and jump does sound appealing, but if they plan on dumbing the title down, I may have to pass on this one. That's for GW2, not the expansion. One final not as far as the subject of skills go, won't the unlimited level cap, or even a 100 level cap turn GW from a skill based game to a "i've played longer" game?
    Then again it is way to early to tell what will happen and how GW2 will turn out in the end. They may change their minds on a few things before beta, and again during beta. So I will keep my eye on this game and later decide what to do.

Hmmm you make a good point that I hadn't noticed before. If I had to list my top three reasons I love GW over other MMOs, number one on that list would be the flexible customization and skill builds of characters.....and number two would be the level cap and even playing field with emphasis on skill over longevity. Hmmmmm!

My hope is that what the article refers to is some idea about learning unusual uses for skill combinations in play, rather than having the parameters all clearly defined. In other words, a skill evolves in complexity over time and through use, or you discover new perks to a skill that were previously unknown when new skill combos are tried out, and so on....that would be cool, I think.

But I am totally baffled at this "MMOs are too complex to comprehend" nonsense. There's almost no brainpower involved in putting character together, and most games provide only a thin veil of illusion to  make you think you have many options. Near as I can tell, the only two games that offer really decent customization and let the players have some say in their characters right now is DDO and GW. So this would definitely be bad if GW2 characters were pretty much static info blocks modified only by an occasional talent er level or new equipment, like WoW...

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265
    So once Guild Wars 2 is released, will Guild Wars 1 still be supported?  Or are they going to take down all the Guild Wars 1 servers after Guild Wars 2 is avaialble?
  • exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

Originally posted by Jammaslam
    So once Guild Wars 2 is released, will Guild Wars 1 still be supported?  Or are they going to take down all the Guild Wars 1 servers after Guild Wars 2 is avaialble?

from what i think i eard , guildwars 1 will continue alive.

guildwars2 as a realease date for 2009 that means that maybe comes out in 2010.
    still a lot of guildwars1 to play.

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Gaile Grey promised that GW1 would still be up and running once GW2 gets up and running. I've heard that there could be a beta for GW2 as early as 2008, which puts the final release in '09-'10. There likely won't be any more chapters, but there could be some expansions (although unlikely). They have promised to keep up with holiday events, for what that's worth.

Bah, still plenty of time before we even have to worry about it though.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by VGJustice

Gaile Grey promised that GW1 would still be up and running once GW2 gets up and running. I've heard that there could be a beta for GW2 as early as 2008, which puts the final release in '09-'10. There likely won't be any more chapters, but there could be some expansions (although unlikely). They have promised to keep up with holiday events, for what that's worth.
    Well you never know, sometimes promises can be broken.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

Originally posted by Dookz
    Originally posted by VGJustice Gaile Grey promised that GW1 would still be up and running once GW2 gets up and running. I've heard that there could be a beta for GW2 as early as 2008, which puts the final release in '09-'10. There likely won't be any more chapters, but there could be some expansions (although unlikely). They have promised to keep up with holiday events, for what that's worth.
    Well you never know, sometimes promises can be broken.

all the time , but who cares , its better to live the present anyway.