Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More questions about classic servers

My understanding is that the "classic" servers where put in because the TOA expansion with it's "uber" drops ruined the game for a lot of folks.  I stopped playing before TOA came out, but I am thinking about coming back. Since I am not a raid junkie the classic servers sound like where I would likely want to be.

So..

What are the names of the "classic" servers (because I saw no mention of them on the website)?

I also saw a post that suggested that Mythic is starting to put items similar to the "game breakers" from TOA into the classic servers. Is this indeed the case? And if so, are they causing players on the "classic" servers any distress, or are they being done in a way which avoids the problems caused in TOA?

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    1.  They are listed at the Camelotherald that lists the servers.  Next to their names they say (Classic).  It is the top cluster listed.

2.  ToA gets blamed for lots of things and most of them wrongly.  Not that I like the expansion I think it is one of the worst expansions ever, but it gets balmed for all the wrong reasons.  Mostly it is marked as the downfall of the game.  What most people do not realize is that the game really failed to bring in new blood enough prior to ToA.  It failed to market the game.  It failed to respond to players concerns fast enough at this period.  Anyway we can sum up the complaints as follows:

Those who hate uber items.   Those who do this are crafters because ToA ruined crafting.  There are also some who hated crafted items anyway and what they really want is everyone having bad-mediocre equipment.  These items were never "game breakers" in reality it was just that it did not suit some people's tastes. 

Those who hate raiding to get the best items.  This brought out what was already there: casual versus the hardcore.  It made it impossible for the casual player to keep up because they could not invest another 50+ days played to get caught up.  That is the real complaint people have againt ToA.  Most of the time sink has gone away.  Now they are implementing a plan for you to use bounty points (on the regular servers) to purchase ToA items and abilities so you do not need to do any ToA on those servers if you do not want to. 

If all you are concerned about is raiding them I would not be so worried.  Yes more powerful items have been added to the game.  Most of them are easy to get.  Only a tiny few even come close to ToA and they really are not as useful.  You can have crafted armor, use a champion weapon, and then pick up ROG jewelry pieces.  If you want you can go to Darkspire or go farm in the Lab for some better pieces. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

One big difference between Classic servers and other clusters is the range restrictions on buffing..... no longer do you find hordes of buff-bots standing outside of keeps in a lonely vigil....  

So, if you like buff bots...don't go Classic

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322
    There is a TON of gear that came out of TOA and the gear people hated the most were artifacts. These will not be making an appearance on the classic servers. What people are talking about now is that on some of the larger ML raids and such, certain mobs dropped items that had very good utility but nothing compared to an artifact. Classic servers will be getting slightly water-downed versions of these lower utility mob drops but they won't be bringing anything "uber" to the servers. Classic servers do have higher populations at lower levels, but not so much in NF. I play both caerleone and classic and classic is starting to become a sad mockery of itself. With buff potions and especially AOE's and tag alongs in groups, the buff situation is the same for everyone but soloers. The problem is, the game is brutally harsh to soloers in NF so that is almost a non-issue now. And the fact that mythic is greatly releaving the strain put on a player's time constraints concerning getting artys and mls, there;s almost no excuse to prefer classic over toa as a lvl 50 unless you really want a weaker fight.  Solo's will never have an easy time if they are not a stealther because everyone else is rolling in groups. With how easy it is to get temped on toa now, it all boils down to:Do you want 2X abilities at lvl 50 or 1X? Pretty much that simple. I really do enjoy both, and am currently playing classic to see what certain classes can do at lower levels, but I would never forget about my TOA toons. Way too many cool toys to play with, way too many really cool abilities and skills that you will never get to see/use on classic. Sure Forceful Zephyr pisses me off when it hits me, but its not because its op'd, its because I got beat to the trigger and didn't get mine off first.
  • OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Allotrope

I also saw a post that suggested that Mythic is starting to put items similar to the "game breakers" from TOA into the classic servers. Is this indeed the case? And if so, are they causing players on the "classic" servers any distress, or are they being done in a way which avoids the problems caused in TOA?

The problem with ToA Artifatcs was that you needed alot of time to be able to compete in PvP.

I'll explain how Artifats worked at launch of ToA(It's abit diffrent now)

1st: You had to do an "encounter" it could be as easy as killing a mob, however these mobs where on a spawntimer, so once a group had done the encounter it would be down for atleast 24hours.

2nd: If you were lucky the mob dropped an unactivated artifact, and usually the people who attended on the raid would do a lotto to see who would get it.

3rd: If you were lucky enough to win the lotto, you now had an unactivated artifact. To activate it you had to farm for three scrolls that dropped from mobs, and let med tell you...they didn't drop very often.

4th: when you had managed to ither farm or buy the scrolls you went to activate the arti. Once the artifact was activated all you had to do was to level up the artifat to lvl 10. The Atrifacts only lvled on specific mobs/players or during night or daytime... This could take some time...! :(

Nowdays you don't need the unactivated artifacts, you just need the encounter and the scrolls and the scrolls drop more often and you can level the arti on whatever mobs you like

This kind of items will NEVER appear on Classic-servers, what players refer to as yber ToA items are ju really good drops that drops of specific mobs. They can be abit hard to get, but it'll never be like artifatcs.