Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Lord no!!! Not Again!!!!

severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
Original post from www.swg-fr.com/index.php

certaines informations auraient été révélées à propos de la line up des jeux Xbox 360 en 2007/2008. Au programme plusieurs jeux Lucasarts dont Star Wars: Force Unleashed très récemment annoncé par l'éditeur américain. Mais voilà un mmorpg est aussi annoncé dans cette liste :

• Star Wars: Batlefront 3 (tbc but in production) - by LucasArts – Release date 2007/8 TBA
  • Star Wars: Online - MMORPG (unknown Title) (tbc) – by LucasArts – Released date TBC
  • Star Wars: Force Unleashed – by LucasArts – Release date 2007/8 TBA (More Feature News) or (Further Information)
My french is a little rusty but I believe it says something to the effect of. "Certain information concerning the lineup of games on the xbox360 for 2007/2008. The Lucas Arts game Star Wars: Force Unleashed was already announced by the American editor. But, there is an mmorpg also announced in the list.

The article goes on to speculate about a possible connection concerning how BioWare is working on a new mmorpg right now using the Hero Engine and that they have a handful of SWG's former devs working on it.

Although I have said for a number of years now that SOE should have handed the game off to someone like BioWare isn't it time to let Star Wars mmo's die off? lol.

Comments

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by severius

Original post from www.swg-fr.com/index.php

certaines informations auraient été révélées à propos de la line up des jeux Xbox 360 en 2007/2008. Au programme plusieurs jeux Lucasarts dont Star Wars: Force Unleashed très récemment annoncé par l'éditeur américain. Mais voilà un mmorpg est aussi annoncé dans cette liste :

Star Wars: Batlefront 3 (tbc but in production) - by LucasArts – Release date 2007/8 TBA
    Star Wars: Online - MMORPG (unknown Title) (tbc) – by LucasArts – Released date TBC
    Star Wars: Force Unleashed – by LucasArts – Release date 2007/8 TBA (More Feature News) or (Further Information)

My french is a little rusty but I believe it says something to the effect of. "Certain information concerning the lineup of games on the xbox360 for 2007/2008. The Lucas Arts game Star Wars: Force Unleashed was already announced by the American editor. But, there is an mmorpg also announced in the list.

The article goes on to speculate about a possible connection concerning how BioWare is working on a new mmorpg right now using the Hero Engine and that they have a handful of SWG's former devs working on it.

Although I have said for a number of years now that SOE should have handed the game off to someone like BioWare isn't it time to let Star Wars mmo's die off? lol.

When LucasArts conducted a poll a little while ago, asking people about their favourite part of SWG, I wondered if they were trying to learn from the past to have another kick at the MMO can so to speak.  I guess we'll see.  Oh and as for the French, it says "But there is a mmorpg also announced on this list:" 

Arc

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    I had had some hope that that poll was going to lead to someone at LA sending a memo to Smedley along the lines of "put the damn game back the way it was or else..." lol.  I am pretty sure that the poll had ended with launch/JTL being at the very very top with the CU and NGE versions probably only voted on by the Viral Marketers :P

As it stands right now though, bioware is still very tightlipped concerning the MMO they are working on so we will see.  I just hope that someone somewhere realizes that another MMO based on Star Wars will always carry the baggage of the old SWG.  ESPECIALLY if its developed by a good number of the same people lol.
  • MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643
    Didn't Nancy McIntyre or someone say there was a SW-themed MMO being considered at some point?  I do seem to recall someone saying something to that effect (a lot of nebulosity, I know, but I'm fairly sure this is old news).  Also, the list has game that are TBA and TBC - i'm guessing TBA means to be announced and TBC means to be confirmed, which indicates it's only rumor and speculation at this point.  I would be shocked beyond words if $OE and LEC partnered up again for a SW MMO, neither can have a good taste in their mouths over SWG and especially the NGE.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• AfroPuffAfroPuff Member Posts: 207
    In an interview discussing microtransactions in MMOs, Nancy made an in passing reference to a possible Stars Wars  II MMO in 2007 or 2008; but  taken in context it wasn't clear whether she was being literal or just rhetorical.

SWG Team Mtg.

• AnobacaAnobaca Member Posts: 68
     Wasn't there suppose to be a Star Wars t.v. show comeing out? Could the it be a game linked to it?
  • 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866
    *blinks slightly as he sees a corpse of the SWG game twitching slightly, then loads a gun*

Why won't you die and leave us alone!!

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• PepiDetoPepiDeto Member Posts: 85

You never know what htis could be.  IF and I mean IF it is being made by bio-ware or another company besides SOE then it might just be a good game.  Also it might be an attempt to bring back the old galaxies.  They might do like what Jeep did with the original Cherokees they "discontinued" them and the "introduced" the Jeep Liberty which in my opinion looks almost exactly like the Cherokee except for a few small details.  This could be what they are doing.

Pepi Deto
    Colonel Rebel Alliance
    Corbantis Server
    "Any company who tries to 'wait it out' will be just that, out!" - Tommy Boy

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Right now, because of their reputation, a Star Wars MMO has about as much chance of success as Kevin Federline would making a new album.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Wildcat84

Right now, because of their reputation, a Star Wars MMO has about as much chance of success as Kevin Federline would making a new album.

I don't know about that Wildcat. I think it's safe to say us vets will be quite cautious it's true, but I think we can underestimate the license. It does have a vary wide audience, and if it is targeted at the viewers of the new TV series, they do have a valid market.

I'll bet it will be very similar in feel to WoW (obviously) and very different from Pre-CU. Their new target market beckons.
  • DvolDvol Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

I don't know about that Wildcat. I think it's safe to say us vets will be quite cautious it's true, but I think we can underestimate the license. It does have a vary wide audience, and if it is targeted at the viewers of the new TV series, they do have a valid market.

I'll bet it will be very similar in feel to WoW (obviously) and very different from Pre-CU. Their new target market beckons.

The NGE is SWGWoW sorta what they intended with the CU and ended with the NGE..Examples-Few professions and those professions are level based..The whole Loot kill loot mechanic..The whole UI and icons changing to those horrid pics from the CU(still in NGE) i would consider they make it alot like precu but with a twist.../shrug who knows until the official announcement comes..But im sure LA wont have SOE as the producers,I bet its out sourced elsewere....Would i play it? Probably give it a fair shot just like i do most new games..I play in beta or wait for a free trial then buy if i like it..So far none have made it to the Buy list except CnC3(command and conquer) just because its Red Alert with a modern makeover..But time tells all...
  • Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Dvol

..time tells all...

That's what it comes down to. I've definetly learned to be patient with this whole NGE debacle
  • TaucetiTauceti Member Posts: 168

Hi,

I have to disagree. But I think a lot of people would come and play another SWG Pre-CU type Star Wars game albeit cautiously, especially if it was made by someone other than SOE. Bioware would probably be a good choice because of there games and rep. It MIGHT [lol] also explain why they have been so tight lipped about their MMO, but it probably just wishfull thinking...lol. If I remember correctly they are suppose to make a couple of big announcements at Star Wars Celebration IV this May [not sure in what respect though].

IMO,

Tauceti

• swiftflowswiftflow Member Posts: 239
    I don't know which is more pathetic...........another attempt at a Star Wars MMORPG or Battlefront 3. Niether titles have ever been done correctly before so I won't expect much this time either.
  • ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Well I got into just a few things as a kid that might make it to MMOs.  One of them was Star Wars, and another was super heroes.  I guess that's why I switched to City of Heroes when SWG went nuts.  If City of Heroes ever goes crazy, I guess I'll be lookin for a game about Gumby.

Arc

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by PepiDeto

You never know what htis could be.  IF and I mean IF it is being made by bio-ware or another company besides SOE then it might just be a good game.  Also it might be an attempt to bring back the old galaxies.  They might do like what Jeep did with the original Cherokees they "discontinued" them and the "introduced" the Jeep Liberty which in my opinion looks almost exactly like the Cherokee except for a few small details.  This could be what they are doing.

You mean Jeep Wrangler?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

I really hope that if another Star Wars MMO is in the making that they arent looking to WoW as a template. Next gen mmo's are on the way and when they hit WoW wont be able to cope due to its nature and how it already is. So i'm really hoping if they are actually doing this that they'll be creative and original as they can be with it all. Secondly, I dont really know how popular it would be after all the going ons of $OE and the original SWG. You'll have A LOT of nervous, cautious vets/refuges looking at it.

On a side note... if they DO have a SWG:2 in the works... wouldnt that mean they'd be sunsetting the original soon?

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417
    To be honest if it is any company other then Sony online who are create the game and maintain it then I would play it. However I won't pay to play a game Sony Online creates because they have no skill at creating successfull games and I would know before the game even came out that it would be a POS due to this. If someone such as obsidian, bioware etc created the game and lucasarts actually let them finish the game and test it properly so that 80% of the major game breaking bugs are ironed out;  then fair enough I would pay to play even if the game was hosted on sony's servers because I know Sony would not be buying bioware or obsidian :)

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Sunrider

I really hope that if another Star Wars MMO is in the making that they arent looking to WoW as a template. Next gen mmo's are on the way and when they hit WoW wont be able to cope due to its nature and how it already is. So i'm really hoping if they are actually doing this that they'll be creative and original as they can be with it all. Secondly, I dont really know how popular it would be after all the going ons of $OE and the original SWG. You'll have A LOT of nervous, cautious vets/refuges looking at it.
    On a side note... if they DO have a SWG:2 in the works... wouldnt that mean they'd be sunsetting the original soon?
    Not necessarily.  Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 lived simultaneously.  Then the sequel died while the original is still going along hehe.  If there is a SWG2 coming from someone it most likely won't be from SOE, which would probably keep swg2 from using the same timeperiod etc, all depends on the licensing agreements between Lucas and Sony though.
  • zabrakwithzabrakwith Member Posts: 62

You guys are really naive. If another company made a new SW MMO or we got SWG2  it would still have:

1. A level based system

2. Fewer professions

3. No decay

4. A dumbed down crafting system

5. Loot >Crafted items

Most other MMO's follow this outline. Face it, we will never see all the great things that we had pre-cu EVER again. At least we have the ducks to give us our fix.

• RayCobraRayCobra Member Posts: 29
    Knights of the old republic MMO ???

"Believe nothing.
    No matter where you read it,
    Or who said it,
    Even if I have said it,
    Unless it agrees with your own reason
    And your own common sense"
    - The Buddha, from Dhammapada

• PepiDetoPepiDeto Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by tillamook

You mean Jeep Wrangler?

No I mean Jeep Libery and Cherokee.  They still make Wranglers but they make variations of it such as the Rubicon, etc.  However they totally discontinued the model of Cherokee (small and boxy like) because it was not selling and then a year or so later they came out with the liberty which looks almost exactly like it except for the "bug-eye" headlights and some other small details.  It was still the same company making it but I think that this game will probably not be made by SOE if it is made.  Probably someone else because they know anything from SOE will not sell.

Pepi Deto
    Colonel Rebel Alliance
    Corbantis Server
    "Any company who tries to 'wait it out' will be just that, out!" - Tommy Boy

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by zabrakwith

You guys are really naive. If another company made a new SW MMO or we got SWG2  it would still have:
    1. A level based system
    2. Fewer professions
    3. No decay
    5. Loot >Crafted items
    Most other MMO's follow this outline. Face it, we will never see all the great things that we had pre-cu EVER again. At least we have the ducks to give us our fix.
    Yeah, I reckon it will too.  It'll probably do pretty well financially like that    I mean, if SWG was originally launched with the gameplay like it is now in NGE it probably would have done decently (from a financial viewpoint, the real problem with the NGE was their attempt to change their whole player base years after launch).

I reckon we will see another sandbox game like pre-cu SWG.  It just wont be starwars anymore (which is a shame)...  We'll just have to keep an eye on Ralph Koster and see if he manages to get his great ideas into another sandbox mmorpg soon!   

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by tillamook

You mean Jeep Wrangler?

No I mean Jeep Libery and Cherokee.  They still make Wranglers but they make variations of it such as the Rubicon, etc.  However they totally discontinued the model of Cherokee (small and boxy like) because it was not selling and then a year or so later they came out with the liberty which looks almost exactly like it except for the "bug-eye" headlights and some other small details.  It was still the same company making it but I think that this game will probably not be made by SOE if it is made.  Probably someone else because they know anything from SOE will not sell.

Jeep patriot?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

1. A level based system
    2. Fewer professions
    3. No decay
    5. Loot >Crafted items
    Yeah, I reckon it will too.  It'll probably do pretty well financially like that    I mean, if SWG was originally launched with the gameplay like it is now in NGE it probably would have done decently (from a financial viewpoint, the real problem with the NGE was their attempt to change their whole player base years after launch).

I reckon we will see another sandbox game like pre-cu SWG.  It just wont be starwars anymore (which is a shame)...  We'll just have to keep an eye on Ralph Koster and see if he manages to get his great ideas into another sandbox mmorpg soon!    Koster was part of SWG problems to begin with... Good idea, terrible implementation and design.

eqnext.wikia.com

• NGESUCKSNGESUCKS Member Posts: 153
    I think its more Koster wanted a good game and SOE/LA attitude was  give us WOW subscription numbers with as little investment as possiblle.

Originally posted by matraque

Originally posted by wormywyrm

1. A level based system
    2. Fewer professions
    3. No decay
    5. Loot >Crafted items

I reckon we will see another sandbox game like pre-cu SWG.  It just wont be starwars anymore (which is a shame)...  We'll just have to keep an eye on Ralph Koster and see if he manages to get his great ideas into another sandbox mmorpg soon!    Koster was part of SWG problems to begin with... Good idea, terrible implementation and design.

*Games on our site will be treated just as we treat people. Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.
    Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

Thank you,

The Staff
    MMORPG.COM