Yep, I'm another newbie who's interested in playing a new MMORPG and looking for advice. I posted to the Site Suggestions about developing a questionaire to help people like me (answer some questions and get a list of games that you may like). I'm a casual player (10-15 hours a week). I'm currently playing City of Heroes/Villains. Originally I was in Earth & Beyond but we all know what happened to that. I also tried RF Online but the experience was terrible. I posted my criteria on my CoH supergroup's board.
1) Newbie/Casual gamer friendly. I want a game that I can pick up and put down at will. I don't want one that pretty much demands I spend hours at a time playing it.
2) Modern/Sci-fi world(s). Sorry but elves and orcs don't interest me much. I'd rather not have a fantasy setting (unless it bucks the stereotypes). This means no WoW.
3) PvE. I don't like PvP-only or PvP-heavy games. They tend to be populated with serious gamers who have almost forgotten the game itself should be fun and not be a focus on getting a bunch of stuff.
4) A good craft system. In Earth & Beyond my main characters were a builder and a resource gatherer. There's a zen-like feeling you get from spending time mining/gathering. (Ideally gathering should be in non-PvP areas. I don't want to be fragged while I'm peacefully collecting items.)
5) A game were the journey is important and the goal is to have fun. No need to PL to level X. A way for experienced and novice characters can play together.
6) Must be able to solo. For some reason I'm often playing alone. I like it but I'm not afraid to call for help when I need it. If I can do 75% or more of the missions/quests/whatever alone then I don't mind forming a team for the rest of it.