Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions.

Hello, I'm thinking about coming back to DAoC, but I have a few questions I would like to ask. Firstly, has the community turned sour? I've heard it has from a few places, So I wanted to know if this was true or not. Secondly, I'm getting a horrendous frame-rate while running on a Geforce4 MX 4000. I emailed Mythic, and they told me upgrading would be my best bet. So, I was wondering, if I upgrade to an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 would remedy the situation?

Thanks a ton for your help

Comments

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Turned sour?  That is hard to say.  The community has gotten worse over the past 5 years.  ToA brought up a huge rift between the casual and hardcore, the PvE vs the RvR, etc.  Declining populations lead to clustering and this has lead to some bad elements on one server causing problems on all they are connected to.  Given the ease of leveling and the changing of dynamics of the game has lead to most people playing multiple realms and hence most people no longer have "pride" in their realms.  The biggest deal now is the Hib vs the Mid/Alb.  Those two sides blame Hib for everything and want to nerf them to oblivion.  This perhaps is an exageration but it is still there. 

I have painted a dark picture but it is still likely the best community in an mmorpg around.  If you are wanting the original days of pick up groups where your class and spec did not matter, that is gone.  If you want to go back to having easy groups in the Front, those are gone as well.  A lot of the bonds that held players and realms together are gone.  But, it is not as though most players have turned into asses, camp steal, harass, or do anything really bad to other players.  Things just are not as nice as they used to be.

I am surprised you could even login to DAOC.  The MX cards are not directx9 and you need that to play.  A 5200 would help but that is still 3 series behind.  We would also need to know the rest of your specs.  A 5000 series is the minimum and I would suggest you go for a 6000 series of some sort.  Try newegg.com for cards since when I have gone to most stores they try and sell vid cards for 3-5 times their actual cost and act as though a card that is 1-2 years old is top of the line. 
  • AcerosAceros Member Posts: 6
    Sucks to hear that, I've met some fantastic people in DAoC. Would you say that it's better then WoW's community? Because as of now, a heated debate about who's a "fag homo noob" is happening in Thunder Bluff.

And I'm running at 1.5G's of RAM with an Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GH. I would get a high end card in a heartbeat, but, sadly, I'm stuck with PCI slots. I want to upgrade to AGP, but on a tight budget, it's just not in the cards.
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Nothing like that happens here.  The community is way better than WoW's (not that is saying much). 

Your comp seems fine.  Father odd to have a 2.53 ghz with a PCI slot.  I still think you should check newegg.  You could probably get a new mobo and vid card really cheap.  $160 I spent a month ago to upgrade wifes computer to AMD 64 3400, new mobo, and 7600GT card. 
  • AcerosAceros Member Posts: 6
    I was gonna order one from Newegg, but I didn't. I don't know what half that stuff means, and I don't want to wreck my computer or something simply because i don't know what is what and which is which. One of these days I'll seek out professionals for it.

Thanks a lot for your help, once I get myself a new motherboard and get set up with a new graphics card, I'll come back.
  • OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

If your comp can handle WoW it can handle DAoC!