Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there ever be a game that recaptures the magic of classic Everquest?

Comments

• bkmmobkmmo Member Posts: 20

I purchased Vanguard couple months back but cancelled my sub because my comp just can't handle it.  Eventually I'll build a new computer and try again hopefully when they fix the game more and polish it up.  I think it has potential to bring back what EQ 1 had in the beginning.

• raitzuraitzu Member Posts: 83
    EQ1 was only good because they had no idea what worked yet.

Thinking they know what works like in Vanguard.. doesnt work.

I loved EQ1 up until Planes of Power. After that EQ started to go downhill.

I was a Monk BTW, one of the first level 50 Monks on Bristlebane... I pwned all... feign death was the best skill in the game.

Kunark was one of the best expansions in MMO history, they packed so much into that expansion. Introduced Epic weapons for all classes, forced you to try and figure out how to interact with NPCs by triggering key words. The mystery and intrigue was all there. I still dream about Frogluks, Firegiants, Nagafan, Vox, and that kick-ass dungeon with the rotting poison dragon.

May our memories of old EQ live on!
  • tornicadetornicade Member Posts: 35
    Fear and hate . Veeshans peak..Epic 1.0s  Raiding was very much alive at the release of kunark..  the only difference was Everquest was stereotyped as a raiding game yet.

round up 10 people and put them on the same server  and your getting years of fun no matter how fast or slow you progress.

Yeah theres no more qeynos to freeport runs but there is plenty of things to do old school and new school.. I had played eq  til around midway through luclin .. didnt go back til after gates was released and have been playing steady ever since.  Raids are fun but overrated and not a necessity in this game at all. when i went back i didnt bring back my chanter or make a new one i made an SK  of a different race so i could experience the game from a different vantage.

I lie  Eq now I was never the one to sit in ot or dreadlands. but to run over to dalnir and kaesora.  so i guess i was never one  to seek out those 50 plus player zones  to begin with.

the devs havent let eq die they are constaly updating cold content repainting the game while adding live dynamic content to the scale i havent seen from other mmmoprgs.. and hopefully with the new expansion cycle we will be seeing more of those.

My Sk feels the magic every time he turns into a skelly.. shrinks himself with the wand he camped in the deep,  levitate with the click of an earring and invises with the click of a helm. sure we cant run into the city of the mist anymore and gather 100 mobs at the wall and watch   higher levels walk arogantly and blindly around the corner to get smeared. but you can still find a group of guys and go on a good old fashion dungeon crawl

• soilsoil Member Posts: 11

veeshans peak and epic weapons are going to be in the next eq2 expansion.

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    Originally posted by soil

veeshans peak and epic weapons are going to be in the next eq2 expansion.

I am not sure if people, and in many ways I speak for myself, want a new Everquest.  I think people want something new, innovative that does "capture the imagination" of Everquest.  However, adding in the same names of EQ 1 and the same weapons strikes me, frankly, as a bit unimaginative and generic.

Everquest is real in the minds (and hearts) of many; it had a sense of a real place.  A place so real that people experience a sense of homesickness when away from it.  I am afraid a title with "Everquest 2" and epic weapons and Veeshans Peak will not do.  At least, it will not do for ME. I want something new, innovative but the cherished "Everquest-feel."
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

No, because that magic was not there, you just have rose colored glasses.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• soilsoil Member Posts: 11
    Personaly I would be happy with a nice stable emu, shards of dalaya quality minus the changes.  I was really unhappy when I reactivated my EQ account the other night to see all the old world zones getting face lifts.
  • tornicadetornicade Member Posts: 35
    yeah eq should definately keep itself dated with old graphics to appease nostalgia players and maintain zones with the old graphics that turns new players away
  • KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715
    Personally, I don't think I will ever feel like I did when I first launched Everquest again.  Much like I won't feel the same as when I started my first MMO, Ultima Online. Mainly I think it's because the market is so saturated with MMOs that are so similar to one another, and the fact that we've become jaded to the experience now. The reason EQ had that "new" feeling was because it was new. 3d game world, levels, races/classes etc etc. Sure they've been done in muds and I believe Meridian, but at the time it was big, and it was new.  I don't know, it's hard to describe. Ultimately, with MMO companies "fighting over land" and making every MMO just like the next in order to draw in as many people as possible rather than actually producing anything new, I don't see anything bringing the old magic back.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• Iamkel86Iamkel86 Member Posts: 4
    I disagree strongly here,

Everquest had something magical about it, not because it was a "first" but because it was breath taking, exciting and challenging.

All MMOS out now, ALL OF THEM. Take short cuts. They list all the things that EQ had done correctly in there eyes and eliminate the rest. Well I'm sorry to say, but EQ1 was wonderful with ALL of its features. You cant cut out the downtime, cut out the need to group, cut out the corpse runs, the boats, the waiting, the TOWNS, and all that made the game feel like a REAL WORLD. Yeah, Real life has those moments that make you wait. If you want to play a game that doesnt require time or patience play WoW. but why is it that every MMO out features that same bland, boring, repetitive gameplay? We want something that is as if we're in a world within a world. EQ1 had that, it was the only one to me that felt that way. Some games got close, such as Daoc and swg. Still very short of the mark compared to EQ1.

I mean, EQ1 had the racial cities you could travel to, that in itself was an adventure....questing and experiencing by killing monsters was another, sitting in a tavern and chatting with fellow players was another, boat rides to different continents was another. Saving up cash to buy those spells or that new weapon was another., EXPLORING in sewers, plains, ice mountains, thick forests, dark caves, evil dungeons, mega big castles, giant forts, and sandy deserts. Everquest 1 was magicial and it wasnt simply because it was the first. It was because when it was done, it was done right. I dont understand why so many people need to change what was done correctly the first time.

An example of what im discussing?

EQ1 had the same magical effect on me the day progression servers came out, it ended the second people flew through the content. If Everquest opened a classic server with kunark and velious I would pay 25.00 a month for it. Because I know it would hold my attention for quite a while, and no other game can do that for me.
  • Clownsheep22Clownsheep22 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Iamkel86

I disagree strongly here,

Everquest had something magical about it, not because it was a "first" but because it was breath taking, exciting and challenging.

All MMOS out now, ALL OF THEM. Take short cuts. They list all the things that EQ had done correctly in there eyes and eliminate the rest. Well I'm sorry to say, but EQ1 was wonderful with ALL of its features. You cant cut out the downtime, cut out the need to group, cut out the corpse runs, the boats, the waiting, the TOWNS, and all that made the game feel like a REAL WORLD. Yeah, Real life has those moments that make you wait. If you want to play a game that doesnt require time or patience play WoW. but why is it that every MMO out features that same bland, boring, repetitive gameplay? We want something that is as if we're in a world within a world. EQ1 had that, it was the only one to me that felt that way. Some games got close, such as Daoc and swg. Still very short of the mark compared to EQ1.

I mean, EQ1 had the racial cities you could travel to, that in itself was an adventure....questing and experiencing by killing monsters was another, sitting in a tavern and chatting with fellow players was another, boat rides to different continents was another. Saving up cash to buy those spells or that new weapon was another., EXPLORING in sewers, plains, ice mountains, thick forests, dark caves, evil dungeons, mega big castles, giant forts, and sandy deserts. Everquest 1 was magicial and it wasnt simply because it was the first. It was because when it was done, it was done right. I dont understand why so many people need to change what was done correctly the first time.

An example of what im discussing?

EQ1 had the same magical effect on me the day progression servers came out, it ended the second people flew through the content. If Everquest opened a classic server with kunark and velious I would pay 25.00 a month for it. Because I know it would hold my attention for quite a while, and no other game can do that for me.
    Dude... You said exactly what I feel. Therefore, I am speechless :
  • docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717
    most answers summarized in short:

most MMOs are not life-simulators and that is what many people miss. and many more MMOs to come won't be like this either, it seems. And if there are any, then they are niche games, with awful graphics, which does seem to have an impact no matter what people say.

imageimage

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Iamkel86

EQ1 had the same magical effect on me the day progression servers came out, it ended the second people flew through the content.

I agree completely; the progression servers were outstanding for ... maybe two months, I believe.  It still strikes me as bizarre they encouraged such zerging-efforts for the single-purpose of openings expansions as rapidly as possible.  If anything, I believe, they should have had systems in place to discourage zerging and opening expansions quickly; it makes more sense that way from both a gamer's perspective and a business perspective for SNE.

However, do you think the features of Everquest such as long corpse runs, forced-grouping, and so-forth would be viable in the market today if implemented in a MMORPG in 2007?
  • Iamkel86Iamkel86 Member Posts: 4
    Long corpse runs, yes....as it is my opinion that death should carry a consequence great enough to make you not ever want to experience it. Death should be the absolute worst thing to happen in a game, since I can imagine that would be the worst to happen IRL. hah.

Forced-grouping. No, but recommend and required to experience the entire game...yes. - Just like EQ1 did. Every class, with enough patience could solo...it could be sooooo slow to kill one blue mob and then 15 minutes on downtime, but it was do-able. It totally made you want to get a group though, thats for sure.

It's pretty much universally known that true happiness isn't casued by simply a constant flow of good things. It's actaully caused by a change in mood- going from a given mood to a more positive mood is a positive change in mood and thus happiness. If you're constantly enjoying yourself all the time you won't be happy after a while. You'll find yourself bored or numb. Everything is reletive. If you always got every girl you sought after by simply smiling at them, your pursuit of women and women in generel would get boring- it would be too easy. Only with the flux of mood is happiness the most enjoyable and appreicated :-).

How does this apply to EQ you might ask?

Well if you look at a game like WoW, you're constantly enjoying yourself, it's great, you die, and it doesn't even phase you, if you can't find who you need to find, just look it up on the map or check your trusty quest journel- no problemo, leveling's easy, life is good, anyone can play, but that's a small Dm/dt (Chagne in mood, calculus style). You're always gonna be basically at the same mood level. Thus the Dm/dt is fairly low if not 0 most of the time. BUT AT LEAST IT'S NEVER NEGITIVE - whue....  

If you look at classic EQ, it was so incredibly amazing and addictive becasue your mood constantly changed. If you died you would be so damn depressed about it, your MOOD would be negitive, but then you get that rez, and get back that 5 hours grinding exp and your mood is positive again! The Dm/dt is HUGE and you're very very happy now.

If you finally get enough cash to get that item your Dm/dt is way up... or if you FINALLY stumble apon the NPC who has your level 12 pet spell that you had to travel accross kithicor forest getting raped all the time by level 50 zombies to finally get to your Dm/dt is gonna be at a max :-). You're going from down and out, to INCREDIBLY happy and accomplished-feeling. No maps, no quest journels, no help, all independence, all free flowing, all balls, glory, makes that Dm/dt something that is going to be at a high value a lot of the time. Sure EQ had times where you're happiness was low because your mood has gone from positive to negitive.... But we played EQ for the persuit of happiness, getting that mood to be positive again- getting that positive happiness

If you're content and safe all the time (aka WoW, LOTRO, everyother game that's now coming out)  your Dm/dt will be low, but postive... that's a fact.. that's why people eventually get bored of games like WoW, unless they are zombies....

Why does everyone find themselves attracted to someon who's "hard to get" ??? It's because they feel negtively about someone who is mean to them, teases them, but then if that person shows even an ounce of interest in you you'll hop out of your shoes at the chance to be with them, becaues suddenly she's gone from not interested at all, to even a little interested and that's a huge change in interest, thus you're attracted. If every girl was easy as shit, then you'd find yourself not into a single one of them. It's about the pursuit... How come you hear everyone say "Every boy/girl I like doesn't like me, but then whenever I don't like a boy/girl he/she ends up liking me". It's not too complicated- we like what IS HARD to get, what is the challenge... 

AND THAT, my friends, is OLD/CLASSIC EQ's addiction in a nutshell! It's not like people didn't know this already though - just thought I'd explain it in another way .

Please don't try to argue that we only liked OLD EQ because it was the first MMO we played...  I've just proved that's not the only reason it was magical. I played the progression server after playing WoW and over 6 other MMOs very in-depth and the pleasure I had playing that progression server for the first 2 months (before it went' down the shitter from unlocking) was greater than any of the other MMOs... That's proof enough.

• ElivoElivo Member UncommonPosts: 71

I was a late starter in the world of EQ, didnt start playing untill planes of power was out.  I had tried other mmos prior to is like AC and such and none of them really caught my attention.

But when i finally gave EQ a shot, even though i was a late starter it blew me away, I have never since had the same type of experiance with an mmo or anyother type of game. 

I stoped playing when WOW came out but came back for a bit when they opened the progression servers, and as soon as the opening music started playing i got that same feeling that i did when i first started playing the game.

Unfourtunetly all  the people racing through the content just to be the first to unlock the next expansion ruined it for me and my comeback to EQ didnt last all that long.

But to sum up, no game before or since has given me the same feeling or even close to what i got from EQ.

• hbosmanhbosman Member Posts: 107

The answer? NO

Problem is everybody has this 'idea' of what the games was. When I remember my MSX days I remember these great looking games which were alot of fun. After getting a MSX emu and playing the game, it isn't looking great. But in real, it WAS looking great compared to other games back then. Same for the gameplay, playing those RPG's on the MSX was often a huge grindfest to level. Back then grinding was fun but now I hate it and thus playing this 20 year old game

Just don't compare, play games the way they are. If you don't like it quit playing. It's really that simple.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794
    Hello,

I will be honest with you. I am a huge EQ fan myself and have ALWAYS loved EQ. But Just like myself your gonna have to move on. I currently play and love WoW, I have many characters there such as my 66 warrior, 23 rogue, 38 mage,17 warlock etc. Your jsut gonna have to suck it up my friend.

I also am currently playing Vanguard which I do enjoy. I also recommend, RF online (lineage II style game), L2, FFXI, C.O.H / V.

It all just depends what you like.

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura
    ---------------------------------------------

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Yeah UO was my first, but all i had to play it was a laptop . I thought this MMO thing would be a mere fad that would fade into obscurity, until a friend sent me a link to EQ.  I thought Merdian 59 was innovative, but EQ looked fantastic. Some old quote caught my fancy. "If you want make bread play UO, if you wanna play a game, try us." Something like that.

EQ swept me off my virtual feet and held me in its clutches for several years. i was into everything. Everlore, EQ Maps, Allakazam visits were my activities when the servers were down.  My marriage was teetering and my sleep was down to 4 hours a day. It took DAOC to shake me off the Evercrack, because I finally realized this was a game and not a life. DAOC revealed to me the pattern of level and loot and the addictive nature of these games. Since then I always look at these MMOs in such glasses. EQ was the standard on how games compared for a while.

Warcraft be damned, you sucked me back in again. It marveled me on how an MMO didn't have to be a pain in the arse to enjoy. MMOs didn't seem as much work as they did.

Anyways, nice to be nostalgic now and then.

• kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624
    Originally posted by Clownsheep22

Please don't try to argue that we only liked OLD EQ because it was the first MMO we played...
    The question was will there be a game that recaptures the "magic".  We're arguing that the "magic" was in it being the first of its kind to give you whatever nostalgic feeling you are experiencing now.
    Originally posted by kmimmorpg

Originally posted by Clownsheep22

Please don't try to argue that we only liked OLD EQ because it was the first MMO we played...
    The question was will there be a game that recaptures the "magic".  We're arguing that the "magic" was in it being the first of its kind to give you whatever nostalgic feeling you are experiencing now.

Hey...

I wasn't addressing that comment at anyone who's wondering if there will ever be a game that recaptures the magic of everquest. Sorry if it came off that way . I was just providing a pre-emptive and responsive comment to anyone who was going to say "eq was only good because it was your first mmo".

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

I would start by suggesting you give it another go.  It's still pretty great and it still gives me that feeling from time to time (and I have mostly not played since DAOC first came out. And played most everything else that has come out since.  The only missing element is the crowds.  It's still pretty active.  You can still find grinding partners if you try -- or you can two box as it won't even phase your Vanguard / EQII capable machines.  Wife and I four box on two machines so not a real issue for us.  :)

New zones are awesome. 

As to whether something will come along to give that experience again, I honestly think that is the definition of a "3rd Gen" came.  Perhaps "4th Gen"  as I think we've already seen there generations (counting from EQ):  "1st was EQ", "2nd was DAOC and its RVR system", "3rd was Wow".   I think Wow doesn't quite live up to that title, but close enough given the huge number of players it has attracted and the way it has rewritten what it means to be a 'good' game.

Finally, if someone would loan me $10M I guarentee I have the ideas and the basic sense to know-how to get to the 4th Gen in a realistic implementation.  Too bad I don't expect anyone to write me that check.

• divinus88divinus88 Member Posts: 1
    I've questioned myself about that as well. EQ is the best MMORPG ever made, and EQ2 and WoW are not even near. There is one game I am looking forward to see progress though, and that is the future WH online. But still, I'm like many of you other guys, hoping that someday there will come another imba game a la EQ

Giefx nice MMORPG now!

• JohnhostJohnhost Member Posts: 146
    If a game doesn't ruin your marriage, make you an addict and cause you to buy worthless games because of it's title (i.e. Lords of EQ) then it's not a truely great game.

What made EQ1 so exciting was how the annoyances left room for community.  Waiting for the boats, asking for buffs, grouping required, no instructions what so ever.  I mean you just knew you needed the community to make it through.

The world was flipping huge!  I don't think I have been to EVERY zone in the original, kunark and velious.  You couldn't just poof and get there, you had to run through dangerous lands, where possibly if you die you would have to run back, naked, and from your last bind point.

All the pain in the but stuff, all the excessive downtime, all the stuff form trolls whined about where changed for EQ2.  And guess what, now EQ2 is trying to be more EQ1.  Why?  Because it was FUN!  The pain, the gain, the risk, the reward, it was a blast to be addicted.  People want the game back where community is all you got to stay alive.

Before PoP a company like IGE was small, farmers where mostly real players who made a couple bucks on the side.  Since the bazaar they turbocharged their business, because everything is instant.

EQ1 had it all, but just changed the formula, and nothing is ever quite the same.

Originally posted by Johnhost

If a game doesn't ruin your marriage, make you an addict and cause you to buy worthless games because of it's title (i.e. Lords of EQ) then it's not a truely great game.

What made EQ1 so exciting was how the annoyances left room for community.  Waiting for the boats, asking for buffs, grouping required, no instructions what so ever.  I mean you just knew you needed the community to make it through.

The world was flipping huge!  I don't think I have been to EVERY zone in the original, kunark and velious.  You couldn't just poof and get there, you had to run through dangerous lands, where possibly if you die you would have to run back, naked, and from your last bind point.

All the pain in the but stuff, all the excessive downtime, all the stuff form trolls whined about where changed for EQ2.  And guess what, now EQ2 is trying to be more EQ1.  Why?  Because it was FUN!  The pain, the gain, the risk, the reward, it was a blast to be addicted.  People want the game back where community is all you got to stay alive.

Before PoP a company like IGE was small, farmers where mostly real players who made a couple bucks on the side.  Since the bazaar they turbocharged their business, because everything is instant.

EQ1 had it all, but just changed the formula, and nothing is ever quite the same.
    Well put, man. I fully agree.