Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Crew Ships and On Boarding Ships (Please Sign)

Comments

• isildurisildur Lead Designer, PotBSMember Posts: 84
    Man, I hope some other game company comes along and sees what a huge market there is for sitting around watching someone else play a game.
  • SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    The couple of people who want a multi controlled ship should go pester the Korean developers of Pirate online or whatever that item shop game is called. It ain't happenin in PotBS thankfully.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

This why i wait for Darkfall, multi personal ships, manually fired cannons and so on, you would need maybe 3 players to just sail....maybe 20 players extra if you intend to fight...and thats not even a "pirate" MMO

So couldent think of any other way to do it in a "real" pirate MMO??

But PotBS sounds really fun anyway, i will get it as soon as possibly

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    You might like Planetside too if you like multiplayer ships!  It has a few flying ships that can carry 3+ people (and like 15+ multiplayer land vechs), and since its a first person shooter everyone has something to do (because the weapons have to be aimed manually, no auto aim, so the gunners have something fun to do).  It works really well and its a very decent game

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I mentioned this earlier too... I was so excited about this game when I thought my friends and I could crew a pirate ship.  It only made sense that it was how the game would work.  This is an MMO afterall and I've controlled my own ship all alone in plenty of SINGLE PLAYER pirate games.

Why it would make sense for multi-personell vessels:

-So not everyone gets a ship to begin with but rather has to work their way up to the rank of Captain by being either a pirate, naval officer, freelancer/adventurer or merchant.

-Interacting on a ship shouldn't be ridiculously mundane and pointless, but there should be cannon ports with the captain controling the actual ship.  When the ship takes damage, those with skills in the various forms of ship repair should have to get to work on it using their skills and keeping the ship afloat.

-RAIDING another ship with Crew VS Crew PVP would be friggin awesome

-Having to earn a ship really gives someone something to look forward to and work hard for.  You get a ship off the bat, you wonder 'well what now?' there's no real big reward waiting for you after that.  Giving people a ship right away will cause too many ships in the water and it's just plainly for 'wussies' to put it frankly who aren't willing to put in the work it takes.  It's the 'I want it all and i want it now' mentality and it's just weak.

-For people who reach captain, they should have to take in crew and mentor lower level characters, further gaining their experience.  I've always liked the 'tutor' aspect to MMO's because it makes sense.  Many skills, you learn from someone else.  Some, from your self.  But many, from a teacher.

I could really go on with this list but I'll stop here since it doesn't really matter does it? I really wanted PotBS to be this awesome... and a part of me still hopes it will be one day.

--Just one last note to anyone who says 'this is too hard / too much work' ... welcome to building a NEXT GEN MMORPG. It IS possible.

Samuraisword : the only thing I agree with you about is the petition about the baby seals. 

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

Did we all miss the bit where you start with the 'best' ship possible? There's still plenty to earn and you don't even have to spend weeks sewing someone's sails before you can enjoy the game.

Although i guess not wanting to spend weeks doing dull and monotonous tasks to even get to a newbie ship and then hours looking for a crew everytime you want to do anything is nothing but "wussiness" on my part. Sorry.

I don't think anyone is saying it's too hard or too much work, it's just not fun.

Well that's the golden ticket isn't it, making a game FUN.  I still have high hopes for this game... wish some vids would start popping up on YouTube already hehe.

I do see what you mean and understand how mundane things should not be the core focus of the game... it's kind of like how grinding is boring... but I also think if you put a fun spin on things, and most of all MEANING it could definitely work.  Either way I'm still watching this game, but I know I'm not the only one who wishes I could sail with others on one ship.  If I want to sail alone, I'd opt for some Sid's Pirates! - great game btw.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700
    Originally posted by inig0

Did we all miss the bit where you start with the 'best' ship possible? There's still plenty to earn and you don't even have to spend weeks sewing someone's sails before you can enjoy the game.
    Although i guess not wanting to spend weeks doing dull and monotonous tasks to even get to a newbie ship and then hours looking for a crew everytime you want to do anything is nothing but "wussiness" on my part. Sorry.
    I don't think anyone is saying it's too hard or too much work, it's just not fun.

Fun is relatively subjective, just like what people's saying about grinding...

Some think grinding is not fun, some doesn't care.  Some might even think grinding is fun. 

So to say that multi-player controlled ship will not be fun is just opinion, which you may have others agree with you.  But there are also others that wish to have the ability to sail with friend/guild/group... and for those, the part where you guys think is not fun, is actually fun for them.

Personally I agree that it should be a choice, not a YES or NO on the subject.  If you give people the choice, they will be happy about it...

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

@Forcan.  Agree 100%, so well said you hit the nail on the head my friend.  And I feel your pain about that heart dying SWG thing too btw.

Originally posted by Forcan
    Personally I agree that it should be a choice, not a YES or NO on the subject.  If you give people the choice, they will be happy about it...

If its a choice then why would anyone ever choose to ride on someone elses ship?    Deacon admitted himself that riding on another players ship is inferior to captaining your own by saying that you should have to 'work up' to the position of captain.  So if there is a choice, why would anyone choose the inferior choice?  They would only choose it if the game offered incentives to play aboard another players ship, and in that case the game is enforcing (and thereby removing the true choice) players to be hands on another players ship.

And deacon, what happens when there arent many low level players left to man other players ships?  If say, you can get your own ship at level 20, then what happens when the game is 6 months into release and there are very few players under level 20?    Playing on other players ships would become obsolete at that point...  Thats a lot of coding for such a small and quickly passing feature IMO.

And maybe you can post some more of your ideas on what players can do on another players ship, because so far you've suggested that they could repair the ship when it is damaged...  Equipting a repair tool and aiming your camera into the ships decking then holding left click...?  Left clicking the ship once to target it, and then pressing the F1 hot key repeatedly to use your repair skill on it?    Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic but this subject has been covered a lot and its just the same old issues over and over! 

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Actually I mentioned other things as well… the point is, the OPTION of it would be nice but it’s really a pointless debate since it’s not going to be a feature. It’s all just ideas but hey it’s a lot easier to shoot down ideas than it is to come up with great ones huh?

Here’s some of the features I’d just simply really enjoy in a PIRATES/SAILING MMMO:

Crew vs. Crew PVP – at some point in the battle, often times one crew would jump ship and swashbuckling and the likes would ensue. I’m thinking of team based pvp combat almost like in Guild Wars.

Social Aspects – Having you and your friends all on one ship could make for GREAT role playing. Drinkin with mates, dancing around, playing whatever instruments…

Specializations – Since this is a sailing game and people want to differ from everyone else, it only makes sense that some are better at firing cannons while others are better at dueling. A skill system could exists where you choose what you want to become an expert at and other minor skills. So if one ship has a bunch of expert cannon masters vs. another ship that doesn’t have anyone who’s great at it, they will more likely blow the competition away. Then again, if that other ship has great swashbucklers and the ship with cannon masters lacks in that area, the battle could go the way of the swashbuckling team if they are able to jump ship.

Skills of all the members of a crew should affect the overall skill of a ship.

If one ship lacks carpenters and the other has a few, the first ship cannot repair damage during combat and therefore is at a disadvantage to the ship which has skilled carpenters working quickly to repair the ship [this could even be something that is calculated in the background of the game simply cuz the ship is holding crew with those skills]

The better your overall crew, the better chances you stand. The higher your crew’s overall navigational skills, the faster/more maneuverable your ship is. It just makes sense to me.

Of course, this SHOULD be a choice, not something you NEED – so for those who want to sail alone they can hire henchman NPC crews which automatically do everything necessary.

I still dont get why you not want multi personal crew? It only sounds like some people think they have a problem of taking orders from others....and thats no reason why it shouldent be in

If you ever have used the /follow command, then someone else is "captain".

But we need the whole game to handle it. A purpose of it.  And as it now..there is no reason....

Originally posted by DeaconX  
    Social Aspects – Having you and your friends all on one ship could make for GREAT role playing. Drinkin with mates, dancing around, playing whatever instruments…

Yeah I would really love this too!  It reminds me of SWG, where you could hang out in ships and walk around in them, decorate them, ect.  I dont think they are too interested in doing this though...  Like, they havent even considered building rooms inside of the ships or anything, and doing so at this point would be pretty crazy because they have over 30 ships already.  Plus, ships are reallyyyy small.  They are built to a realistic scale, which means moving your character around on the ship (especially below deck) would be a nightmare for camera control.  In fact, when you board enemy ships you are brought to a new instance with larger, unrealistic decking just so you have some room to move around.  I'd prefer to be squeezed onto the realistic ships instead of being brought to a generic ship deck for these fights, but  cant have everything I guess.

Specializations – Since this is a sailing game and people want to differ from everyone else, it only makes sense that some are better at firing cannons while others are better at dueling. A skill system could exists where you choose what you want to become an expert at and other minor skills. So if one ship has a bunch of expert cannon masters vs. another ship that doesn’t have anyone who’s great at it, they will more likely blow the competition away. Then again, if that other ship has great swashbucklers and the ship with cannon masters lacks in that area, the battle could go the way of the swashbuckling team if they are able to jump ship.

Skills of all the members of a crew should affect the overall skill of a ship.

If one ship lacks carpenters and the other has a few, the first ship cannot repair damage during combat and therefore is at a disadvantage to the ship which has skilled carpenters working quickly to repair the ship [this could even be something that is calculated in the background of the game simply cuz the ship is holding crew with those skills]

The better your overall crew, the better chances you stand. The higher your crew’s overall navigational skills, the faster/more maneuverable your ship is. It just makes sense to me.

I know that the dev team has shown a lot of interest in having NPC officers who you can hire.  Like, officers would give boosts to things like navigation, repairs, ect.  I think it sounds a lot like your idea, although it would be NPC crew members with special skills, not player crew. 

It’s all just ideas but hey it’s a lot easier to shoot down ideas than it is to come up with great ones huh?

Yes I agree, and I'm sorry for being short and nasty with you in my last post  It was wrong of me.

I think we can all be quick to attack each other and quick to attack the developers of mmorpgs when it comes to introducing new ideas and concepts.  Maybe that is part of why developers typically follow in each others footsteps instead of trying new things. 

• WhiteScionWhiteScion Member Posts: 67
    Most People as far as I can see that dont want this feature, are'nt really roleplayers,

I would like a bit of roleplaying and this is one way of doing it, I am hoping the sailing will be long as it should be expected in a game that is mainly based on water and then land. Again as I said nothing wrong with choice. But ye guys that dont want it think it should'nt be a choice because mainly ye just dont care and are not interested. But I still dont see the reason why you still reject a choice option :/

Thank you Wyrm , but don't worry I don't take anything said on forums personally.  But at least you see the values in my arguments which I appreciate.

I think at LEAST 70% of the fans for this game are going to be ROLE PLAYERS... I mean who else would just want to play a Pirate game? Okay so there will be the crows who just loved the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' trilogy so I'm sure will see tones of 'Jack SpErrows' and other variations of the main characters... but mainly I think it's people who want to have fun and kick back as pirates and sailors... so knowing that I would cater as much to the role players as possible.  Having never actually tried the game yet, I don't know how much it currently caters to rpers... I just have hopes that's all.  For now, Lord of the Rings Onine will just have to fill my RP needs, which it's been doing quite well since the people are quite nice, generally 'wave back' and then some rp usually starts from there.

As much as I want this game to be great and 'the way I want it to be' as of course everyone has their own vision, in the end it will be as the devs decide and best of luck to it - with or without me.

• OrnithopterOrnithopter Member Posts: 2

I am interested to know how Captaining a ship works.  As captain do you order NPC sailors around?  Would it not be an easy option to substitute an NPC with a player? 

If you are out on your ship you would have the crew doing your bidding.  If your friend/guildee logs on then you could go to port and pick em up(or they could be bound to your ship), then stash the NPC in the bunks below.  When your friend has to go the sailor you bunked would come up to relieve him.

Sounds pretty easy.

• WoollyBullyWoollyBully Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Ornithopter

I am interested to know how Captaining a ship works.  As captain do you order NPC sailors around?  Would it not be an easy option to substitute an NPC with a player? 
    If you are out on your ship you would have the crew doing your bidding.  If your friend/guildee logs on then you could go to port and pick em up(or they could be bound to your ship), then stash the NPC in the bunks below.  When your friend has to go the sailor you bunked would come up to relieve him.
    Sounds pretty easy.

It might sound easy.  But when it comes down to coding it, it may not be as easy as you think.  Without knowing how Captaining a ship works, it is very hard for us to speculate how easy/difficult this would be to implement.  Personally, I could see this taking quite a bit of time to design, develop, test, tweak, balance, rinse and repeat.

The designers had to decide that X,Y, and Z features are all that will be included at this time.  Otherwise, "feature creep"  could keep this game from ever launching. 

At some point, the designers had to decide the cost/benefit of doing this, and decided that it wouldn't be beneficial upon launch.  When the game releases, I'm sure they will be monitoring play. At some point, they might see a need for it - who knows?  Personally, it is not a feature I would use... 

• gannonreidgannonreid Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by WhiteScion

You guys are still thinking of chores, As I said it should be a matter of choice, No you should have'nt to take orders from some dude, But what if your guild wanted to sail on one ship, or you wanted your friend to be on your ship and sail with you. Whats wrong with having that option? If you dont like it then dont do it, no one is forcing you to. I respect your opinion, but ye do not respect mine and the others who would like this feature.

But having an option that wouldn't add anything useful to the gameplay would be pointless and takes up development time.

At first I was bummed because of the lack of player crews, but I realize how much it makes sense not to. The primary thing is the fun factor and balance against all of the out-cries for realism (Realism has to take a back-seat to fun for any game to be successful). Sure it would be cool to have people on board with you, but what function could they serve other than chore like duties followed by imbalanced on-ship combat against a solo player with a bunch of NPCs.

To get a feature like this in game it would take a ton of work to make it fun and balanced that in the end, I doubt would add anything noteworthy to the gameplay which is tailored to a different experience.

If you want your friend or guild to travel with you, why can't you all just travel together on separate ships? Hell, I think an armada of ships would be quite cool, and also quite scary to the opponent.

If you think of your ship as an extension of your personal character and less of a large mount like other games, you will see what I am talking about. In other games if you want to travel with a friend, do you give him a piggy-back ride, or ride together on one horse? No!

Originally posted by gannonreid

If you think of your ship as an extension of your personal character and less of a large mount like other games, you will see what I am talking about. In other games if you want to travel with a friend, do you give him a piggy-back ride, or ride together on one horse? No!
    LOL! 

I dunno, sometimes I wouldnt mind a piggy back ride from one of the female character models in Lineage 2.

The only games it's ever fun to ride in another players vehicle is first person shooters. 

Planetside is the perfect example of this, with tons of aircraft, buggies, and tanks for multiple players to be in at once.  That being said, even in Planetside, where the passengers of the vehicle get to aim guns and shoot enemies, most vehicles go widely unused.  Especially the transport vehicles, but even vehicles like the liberator rear gunner typically go unused simply because its more effective for a third person to fly their own aircraft than gun for a liberator.  The Planetside devs have had to struggle to give meaning to multiplayer vehicles since the beginning, usually trying to find special roles for multiplayer vehicles to fill. 

For instance, the liberator is a multiplayer ship that drops bombs straight downward.  Its rather boring being the bomber in the liberator, but people do it anyways because its a unique to surpress enemy zergs and more effective than two soloers playing seperately, the latter being something the PotBS devs DONT want in their game.  The galaxy serves as 'transport', but no one actually uses it for transport, the just use it for synchronized drops on enemy bases.  As PotBS does not want to alienate solo players, they cannot give multiplayer ships special roles. 

Anyways, the ships in PotBS really cant fly over enemy bases dropping bombs or players on their enemies.   

• WhiteScionWhiteScion Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

LOL! 

I dunno, sometimes I wouldnt mind a piggy back ride from one of the female character models in Lineage 2.

The only games it's ever fun to ride in another players vehicle is first person shooters. 

Planetside is the perfect example of this, with tons of aircraft, buggies, and tanks for multiple players to be in at once.  That being said, even in Planetside, where the passengers of the vehicle get to aim guns and shoot enemies, most vehicles go widely unused.  Especially the transport vehicles, but even vehicles like the liberator rear gunner typically go unused simply because its more effective for a third person to fly their own aircraft than gun for a liberator.  The Planetside devs have had to struggle to give meaning to multiplayer vehicles since the beginning, usually trying to find special roles for multiplayer vehicles to fill. 

For instance, the liberator is a multiplayer ship that drops bombs straight downward.  Its rather boring being the bomber in the liberator, but people do it anyways because its a unique to surpress enemy zergs and more effective than two soloers playing seperately, the latter being something the PotBS devs DONT want in their game.  The galaxy serves as 'transport', but no one actually uses it for transport, the just use it for synchronized drops on enemy bases.  As PotBS does not want to alienate solo players, they cannot give multiplayer ships special roles. 

Anyways, the ships in PotBS really cant fly over enemy bases dropping bombs or players on their enemies.   

Ya but this aint Planet Side, Just because you can do that in that game has nothing to do with Potbs. In fact you could just compare any game to Potbs then. Like "Battlefield" ? But lets not go there.

People like to Roll Play is all, And thats the first thing that would come into your head when you hear of pirates, WIth a group of friends and yeah whatever dont go on saying the same crap what would you do on the ship etc. That would have to be looked into more, Im just giving a starting idea. Games are about having fun, Just certain people have fun in different ways, So just because you think it aint fun, does not mean it cannot be a choice,

Allow me to give an example, take "Eve-Online" also based on a ship but in space. The whole time all you did was navigate a ship and dock at stations etc, there was'nt any really sociable area. Now they are bringing out social activities on space stations? Where you can walk around? Plan attacks? Talk to other people? So even devs see this as a feature in the game. And they said themselves "ITS A FEATURE WE ALWAYS WANTED TO ADD FOR A LONG TIME!". But people who are currently playing "EvE" do not have to use this feature its just available! And Im one of those people in "EvE". You get what you pay for. Why cant Potbs devs not see it yet? All I can say is ...

CHOICE FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we can all agree that PotBS is not a game designed for multi-personal ships.

The devs says its not  "fair " for the ones that chooses to sail alone...

I will play it....untill Darkfall is released, there i can have a 40 player crew on a ship

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

Role play? You're a captain, how exactly does lots of other captains running around your ship being bored fit into role play? Besides, there's lots of role players on the main boards that couldn't care less about this feature. I like to role play and i don't want this feature; just because you do doesn't mean you speak for all.

"whatever dont go on saying the same crap what would you do on the ship etc" - That's the crux of the issue though isn't it, it's quite hard not to bring it up. You - or anyone else - has yet to come up with something that makes it little more than standing about waiting for something to do for long periods of time. It's not in the game, you won't have the choice, they aren't going to change their minds for you. Quite a lot of work to give people a choice lots don't care about will never take priority over getting the core features of the game tuned and working. Get over it.

Interesting that you bring up Eve. Remind me, how long has it been out? How far from release are these features going to be added? They seem to of done ok in the mean time.

• gannonreidgannonreid Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by WhiteScion

Originally posted by wormywyrm

LOL! 

Ya but this aint Planet Side, Just because you can do that in that game has nothing to do with Potbs. In fact you could just compare any game to Potbs then. Like "Battlefield" ? But lets not go there.

People like to Roll Play is all, And thats the first thing that would come into your head when you hear of pirates, WIth a group of friends and yeah whatever dont go on saying the same crap what would you do on the ship etc. That would have to be looked into more, Im just giving a starting idea. Games are about having fun, Just certain people have fun in different ways, So just because you think it aint fun, does not mean it cannot be a choice,

Allow me to give an example, take "Eve-Online" also based on a ship but in space. The whole time all you did was navigate a ship and dock at stations etc, there was'nt any really sociable area. Now they are bringing out social activities on space stations? Where you can walk around? Plan attacks? Talk to other people? So even devs see this as a feature in the game. And they said themselves "ITS A FEATURE WE ALWAYS WANTED TO ADD FOR A LONG TIME!". But people who are currently playing "EvE" do not have to use this feature its just available! And Im one of those people in "EvE". You get what you pay for. Why cant Potbs devs not see it yet? All I can say is ...

CHOICE FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am having trouble understanding your position on the matter. In regards to choice, players have the choice, TO PLAY ANOTHER GAME. The fact of the matter is the game is tailored to a different experience, just because a certain roleplayers will be missing a choice, I don't see the big deal. Yeah yeah, choice is good, but when it costs frivalous development time when they won't be able to fully flesh it out before release then it's not the best idea. If they want to create this feature, they need to focus a ton of energy to make it work well within their current goals for the game, instead of tacking on a half-assed feature just to add another "choice". The option for player run ships has a ton of balance issues betwen fun, realism, and "fairness", etc. So I am glad that it's not in right now.
    I almost wish they add the 'choice' of sitting around on another players ship just to see how many players choose to do it 

• VociferorVociferor Member Posts: 98

My opinion on this is that it is an idea that at a first pass might seem like a feature that would add another level of depth to the game but that it is also an idea that after you give it some more consideration you begin to realise will not fly.  It's just not gonna work very well within the game's mechanics.  That doesn't mean the idea is a bad idea in essence, just that it will not work well for this particular game.

The devs for this game are some of the best I have come across for any mmorpg in terms of listening to the community and accepting/implementing good ideas from us.

Unfortunately, however, this idea is not one of those good ideas.  As someone earlier pointed out, this idea has been discussed numerous times with the devs and I agree that the devs are entirely correct to concentrate their limited resources on more important aspects of the game that will actually work adequately (that are not just 'querks') and that people will actually find fun to do.