Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Crew Ships and On Boarding Ships (Please Sign)

I have seen that there is a high demand for player crew ships and players being able to board other players ships. I myself think that it would be a brilliant idea for people to work either as a captain or a crew member, I feel it would make the game much more exciting and more interactive with players. But in all respects I think a Captain should be like a certain rank that you earned, and I know you start off with a small ship and command npc crew members, but would'nt it be cool if  new players could work or be helped by experienced members. So anyone who agrees with me and thinks that there should be a choice to either have a npc crew and real players crew, and allow on boarding on other players ships. Please just sign in this thread so we can just see how many people do want this feature show the devs that there is a high demand for this feature and hopefully they will release it in the near future!

Thanks!

Comments

• WhiteScionWhiteScion Member Posts: 67
    Also here is a poll.
  • ZebraFinchZebraFinch Member Posts: 27

this is the most interesting idea i ever heard that is regarding this game :D

• wuckswucks Member UncommonPosts: 114

It's been talked to death here and on the official forums; it's not going to happen. Certainly not for release. Hopefully player crews will never happen.

"much more exciting" - How? Not being the captain, what exactly are you going to do? Is the tedium of sitting waiting to be told to click your mouse really that exciting?

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
                  I don't personally support multi-person ships. I have to many issues with some of the

balance issues if it was added to this game. At least at the release stage. I'm not against

multi-person ships persay as a whole though. The idea would have been great if the game

had been designed from the ground up for it.
  • daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Why wouldent anyone not wanna have multi person ships?

Its the first thing you think of when you hear of ships, right.

Hopefully it will be added later, so you can choose.

And remember, beeing a captain over a ship is no walk in the park for people dreaming of having control due to lack of control in rl.

It would demand alot from that person, and very few would be able to pull it off 

Originally posted by inig0

It's been talked to death here and on the official forums; it's not going to happen. Certainly not for release. Hopefully player crews will never happen.
    "much more exciting" - How? Not being the captain, what exactly are you going to do? Is the tedium of sitting waiting to be told to click your mouse really that exciting?
    First of all I never said  it would happen for release. And you ask whats exciting? Think of it this way. If you were on a ship with your clan and were planning to capture land from another clan. You and your clan members could take on cannons, raise or lower sails. Raiding another clans ship, then all sword fighting on that ship. How does that not sound exciting? The problem is you keep thinking of house chores on a boat. Therefore the concept  as I said which is that they  should have a choice of player crews or npc crews. Just because you dont like them dont mean everybody else does'nt.
  • BountytakerBountytaker Member Posts: 323

I have no interest in this concept whatsoever.  Why would I want to work the rigging on someone elses ship for an hour, only to have my character die first when we get involved in combat?  Sounds like Work, the MMO.

And I would hate to be the captain of a player filled ship.  I can just imagine sitting in the harbor for an hour, waiting for the guy who loads my cannons to log on, so we can go play.  Boring!

I like the concept as is (which currently includes the ability to board ships in battle).

I voted no.

Originally posted by WhiteScion
    Originally posted by inig0 It's been talked to death here and on the official forums; it's not going to happen. Certainly not for release. Hopefully player crews will never happen.
    First of all I never said it would happen for release. And you ask whats exciting? Think of it this way. If you were on a ship with your clan and were planning to capture land from another clan. You and your clan members could take on cannons, raise or lower sails. Raiding another clans ship, then all sword fighting on that ship. How does that not sound exciting? The problem is you keep thinking of house chores on a boat. Therefore the concept as I said which is that they should have a choice of player crews or npc crews. Just because you dont like them dont mean everybody else does'nt.

So, i draw the short straw and i can lower the sails? Thanks. I'm sure everyone will be queuing up. Why would i want to captain my own vessel when i could be lowering someone else's sails? Although in fairness I wouldn't have much time to moan, what with us being blown out the water by the sensible clan that brought 10 ships instead of 10 players on 1 ship.

And you're right, me not liking it has no bearing on anything. The developers not liking it on the other hand...

• freiheitfreiheit Member Posts: 264

For general gamplay I hate this idea. Who gets/wants to be the cook or the toliet scrubber?

It might be cool to have it so that friends can board while docked to interact, RP, or whatever but it's certainly not a concern of mine.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I still want to have mulit player ships, one control the ship, many others shoot with cannons and the rest prepare the boarding party when we ram the other ship

Thats a &%(/)%*  pirate crew

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Let it go, it's not going to happen.  While it initially sounds like a cool idea on paper, the implimentation of player crews would make for god aweful boring and uncompelling gameplay.  Would you pay $15 a month to tie knots in rigging and sew sails?  Of course not...why would you want to do that kind of thing when you could have a ship of your own?  It confers no advantage whatsoever, and does not make for fun gameplay.  Let it go.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Actually, the idea works already in a game called Puzzle Pirates. You probably haven't heard of it or played it, but while it's not as fun as being the captain, there's many other jobs on the ship that people do, and there's always ships full of players sailing around getting treasure and whatnot.

Obviously being the captain of your own ship would probably be more appealing, but it's still doable and works in other games.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235
    Originally posted by Blurr

Actually, the idea works already in a game called Puzzle Pirates. You probably haven't heard of it or played it, but while it's not as fun as being the captain, there's many other jobs on the ship that people do, and there's always ships full of players sailing around getting treasure and whatnot.
    Obviously being the captain of your own ship would probably be more appealing, but it's still doable and works in other games.
    I will be the captain and you will be my Cabin Boy.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by Blurr

The gameplay of Puzzle Pirates is NOTHING like the gameplay of PotBS...comparing the two is like comparing Halo with Knights of the Old Republic, just because both are sci fi.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450
    I agree, the game dynamics are much too different than most other pirate games for this to work.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

What exactly are you guys gonna do on my ship while I steer? 

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• RogierRogier Member Posts: 23

They want to man the guns and swing aboard of the victim. The swining part will be in (boarding instant and you gues it several players can jump in to 'help' each other. Manning the cannon is cool 1 maybe 2 times but after 23357 times it really boring. A NPC crew shoots as good as a PC either way so ...

I would see the 104 gun captain waiting to log on 103 people to man the cannons lol. And after they meet the enemy they notice 2 times 104 against them that means almost certain wet feet!

• ldarksideldarkside Member Posts: 30

Lets see be a Captian of a ship leading a crew of NPCs..or be a mere crew member on a ship taking orders from some dude while waiting for the rest of the guild to log on just to do something interesting?...I'm gonna have to say no on this idea.

This idea could work to a degree on something like a FPS where once enough ppl log in and choose a side that game starts off with the ships already heading towards one another and all the players have to do is man one of the open spots (cannons, steering wheel, crow's nest) or hope on a scivy and try to dodge cannon fire to get close enough to board or wait until the captian rams his ship into the enemy.

As a MMORPG where you will be spending time just exploring, questing and pvping I can't see this working. As others have stated 10 players on 1 ship will probably not be able to stand against 10 players on individual ships controlling 10 NPC crew members. NPCs might be dumb but the sheer number of them will probably win out. You also got to think about what would happen when your crew has connection problems, not being able to show up due to RL and what about smaller guilds who might not be able to field a whole crew?

Like I said it could probably work as something like a Battlefield mod more then a element of a MMORPG

And thats my 2 cents

You guys are still thinking of chores, As I said it should be a matter of choice, No you should have'nt to take orders from some dude, But what if your guild wanted to sail on one ship, or you wanted your friend to be on your ship and sail with you. Whats wrong with having that option? If you dont like it then dont do it, no one is forcing you to. I respect your opinion, but ye do not respect mine and the others who would like this feature.
  • HandsomeRobHandsomeRob Member Posts: 113

Voted NO!

Why would I wish to do a 'labor' task on your ship, when I can sail upon my own?

As for if you wish to partake in a multi-player ship option. That IS available for you, and your friends / guild / group. It's called the forums, under role-play. For a game mechanic though, understand this is way different than say SWG where multiplayer ships were practical. The cannon are not in turrets to 'aim' upon enemy ships. Rather they stick out the side, and point in the same spot for the exchange. Granted there is a small adjustment in angle, and elevation. How long til the port gun captain player gets bored and minimizes the game to browse the forum, or the Antonella barba nudie picture due to lhe last five minutes of the battle he was staring at nothing but blue water?

Have you ever played a MMO where a member of the group goes inactive due to a boredom of gameplay? a tank hit the aggro macro, and goes to watch TV? The Healer gets a phonecall?

There are many reasons for the Dev's to not have included this as an option. Bottom line they felt the majority of players would find it dull, and a bore. If you wish to engage in it, the by all means, nothing is preventing you from staring a Thread and role-play your group upon the high sea. Cuz in honesty that's about all it amounts to.

Mankind is not limited by imagination, but the courage to reach....

Whats wrong with having that option?

I imagine it would involve quite a degree of work for a feature not that many people really want and, after trying it out once or twice, even fewer would use.

It's just much more fun to be the captain and that's what most people would opt to do, most of the time.

Then there's the balance issue...

• ldarksideldarkside Member Posts: 30

You guys are still thinking of chores, As I said it should be a matter of choice, No you should have'nt to take orders from some dude, But what if your guild wanted to sail on one ship, or you wanted your friend to be on your ship and sail with you. Whats wrong with having that option? If you dont like it then dont do it, no one is forcing you to. I respect your opinion, but ye do not respect mine and the others who would like this feature.

Sorry you feel that way, but you did put in a poll and asked us to respond wiith how we felt on the subject which we have and its just that we don't view it as being fun to us.

I mean even if you removed the "chores" we kept mentioning then what are we left with? Now I'm just sitting infront of my computer waiting for the Captain steering the ship to find something too initiate combat with, just staring at the graphics of a ship I have no control moving across the water while chatting with whoever is on board. Sounds like a glorified chat room to me and boring. And even when you do get into a fight, then what? I'm stuck manning a cannon that cannot move in any direction other then up and down as these ships did not have cannons that could be servled around as if they were turrets, no it was the man at the steering wheel who would angle the ship in such a way that the target is in front of the cannons thus allow us to fire. So now I got to sit at my cannon and wait until the helmsman puts the target infront of me so then all I have to do is then angle the gun up or down to try and get a good trajetory, hit my mouse button to fire and then wait for the cannon to reload and once again wait until the ship is positioned in such a way that I can fire again which means my only job on the ship would be to aim up or down and hit a single key then wait...joy. The only part this idea I feel would be fun is when we actually board the ship and get into Avatar combat where I can put my fighting skills to the test. But then unless that ship had other players on it I am now fighting NPCs which I could have done anyways if I was in command of my own ship, but then I would atleast be able to pilot the ship and be firing all the cannons at once as I saw fit.

I'm sorry to me this just does not sound like a fun idea. Even if I was with friends I wouldn't want to wait around for them to find some action on their ship doing nothing and I wouldn't want them to be doing the same thing they were on my ship.

I stand by my belief that this could work out as a FPS mod for something like Battlefield. Atleast then you would hop onto a server, be put on a ship with a human crew within eyesight of a enemy ship, start shooting/boarding each other, win/lose the round and then have the round reset and repeat. This could work as now all I do is jump in and start fighting until I get tired where in a MMORPG I would have to wait until we left port, search for a enemy vessel, win/lose, then wait some more as we look for another vessel.

• euangelioneuangelion Member Posts: 109
    From what I read on IGN, http://pc.ign.com/articles/771/771859p1.html You can group with another player's ship and board one ship together, which I think is much better then player crew ships, not really interested in working on some else's ship.

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..
    Currently Playing: Tera

• MifioMifio Member Posts: 14

Hey guys, don't flame the guy, yes it would be somewhat interesting, but why woudl you have to wait for 103 members of your guild to log on? I mean, you could only have 50 and get 54 more npc crew members. It would be interesting you see if they could play out with some people on a ship, and the rest are npcs. Then again, it probably won't work out.

Mifio

• BorgqvistBorgqvist Member Posts: 11

The first thing that came to my mind when I heard of  this Pirate game was how fun it was going to be to have a guild manning a ship together, working as a well-oiled machine. I expected the game to have this feature and just went to this forum to make sure it did. And d**n how disappointed I am now that I read this thread, saying that it probably never even will be implemented later on.

Sure, there could be waiting while travelling, but what game doesn't have that? WoW that has them hyppogriphs that takes ages to travel on, swg got multi-passenger vehicles, and how fun do you expect it to be to travel with your own ship? Travelling is, and will always be, a pain in any mmorpg. But it would be so much more fun if I could do it along with my friends on the same ship. And then having to work together to navigate, shoot and kill the enemy...

I was hoping this game would finally end my long search for a new fun mmorpg, but after reading this I will probably not bother playing it.