Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Experience So Far

dapprmandapprman Member UncommonPosts: 20
Register account - check

Download client ......

Well non of the bit torrents work and all the HTTP links are for version 1.0, not 1.15

Downlaoded one anyhow to patch - corrupt contents part way through install.

Downlaod another - this works.

Logon - err no option.  Non of the patching servers are contactable either.  it is not my firewall, but I disable it anyhow - no joy.

So far seriously unimpressed that you can't even get on to play.  I've even left 8 hours before trying - no go.

Oh and where the blazes do I get patches from ?  My impression is this is being done by a 2 bit company who don;t care - I hope/wish I am wrong.

I'll a new install again over the next few days, then ditch it as a waste if i still can;t get on.

--
Active : World of Tanks Beta, Navyfield (NFEU despite GM bias)
Past : WoW, DAoC, CoH, Eve, Voyage of Century, Warhammer Beta, Planetarion, various MUDs (during the 80s)

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Well I never had any of these problems but I can tell you where to manually download the patches. They are on this page - www.voyagecenturyonline.com/download.php - about halfway down the page after the client downloads. You can DL them and patch the client yourself but you only need to DL one of the files. The 1-3 numbers just refer to the mirrors the file is on. this will update you to 1.21 which is the current version. As for not being able to contact the update servers ...... I'm not really sure as this is the first I've heard of this issue. Try posting it in the Tech Help section on the VCO official forums, they may have a simple fix for you.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• dapprmandapprman Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Cheers for the URL, but the downlaod is still titled beta 1.0.

Even if it is version 1.15, is it ok to just apply the 1.19-1.21 patch to it ?

Also when I start the game, I get prompted for an upgrade server - then get to a new window with items such as Upgrade, Options, .... - should I have some sort of start button here ?

--
    Past : WoW, DAoC, CoH, Eve, Voyage of Century, Warhammer Beta, Planetarion, various MUDs (during the 80s)

Well the official forum worked and I can now play it.  The problem lies with the way the update part of the software (runs every time before you can start playing) intereacts with some security packages - not good, but atleast you can disable and re-enable again around that short bit.

I know the serious players here will not like what i'm about to say, but ... It's ratehr a giggle.  I'm seriously not sure about long term attention holding, but I'd certainly recomend this as one for all to try, though I'd like them to fix the known issue with firewalls.

As to Eve analogies, so far it does not fit.  I've been sailing out without an issue and fighting low end pirates - thoguh it looks likea  very steep climb to get the 2nd upgrade for my ship.  I tried a merchant, but that was slowa dn boring, and hard to fend off raiders, where as being a pirare hunter is quite good fun.

Down sides so far ... crafting - you can forage/mine/chop raw materials, but there's no one to teach you how to use them to make planks, metal bars, etc  Ratehr frustrating.  Also the random engien used sucks - expect to go through long strings of misses in combat agaisnt the weakest of critters - frankly it can be embarrassing.  And while i'm at it, there's no way of comparing how tough some thing is compared to you, a good job you lose nothing on dying bar shame and some wear on equipment, you even keep your ship on being sunk.

It's very much a flawed game, but it's also very good fun (in the short term anyhow) and free, so I recommend giving it a try :)

--

• IvorichIvorich Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by dapprman

Down sides so far ... crafting - you can forage/mine/chop raw materials, but there's no one to teach you how to use them to make planks, metal bars, etc Ratehr frustrating.

I strongly disagree. all you have to do to find out how to craft is view one of the many player-made guides on the VCO forums. A good friend of mine made one that specifically answers the questions to which you allude. You can find his guide here: http://www.voyagecenturyonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9713

Originally posted by dapprman It's very much a flawed game, but it's also very good fun (in the short term anyhow) and free, so I recommend giving it a try :)
    I wholeheartedly agree with every word!

~It's an honor to serve~

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984
    Heya Ivorich Yeah, Its a great game. Lately with the problems its been having though..

I find its long term survival questionable. Last night was the first time out of all my friends

only 3 showed up and they were the top guild leaders in the game. My own guild

was entirely empty... we'll see if it was just a freak day hehe
  • fatalis1fatalis1 Member Posts: 9

Yeah the game dies a little bit more each day....the unadressed issue with all those exploiters and the attitude of one or two mods on the community forums are pretty much killing this game off
    Shame really ...it had a fair bit of potential for a F2P game
  • IvorichIvorich Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by fatalis1

... the attitude of one or two mods on the community forums are pretty much killing this game off...

I would like to respectfully disagree with that point. The people who claim to be leaving because of the mods are already extremely upset when they come to the forums ans flame IGG for whatever bug or other issue is eating at them. It is the duty of the mods to maintain order and civility on the forums so they have to lock or delete these threads. Of course, when you take disciplinary action against someone who is already upset, that isnt going to make them happier and then they blame the mods for them quitting the game when the fact is, they already had one foot out the door. I would be willing to wager RL money that no one has ever left VCO because they had absolutely on problem with the game but the forum mods had bad attitudes and caused them to leave.

~It's an honor to serve~

• ecorateecorate Member Posts: 1
    loved the game im addicted to it
  • sirgrindalotsirgrindalot Member Posts: 10

I played a merchant for a few weeks and got to a lvl5 merch ship, with the quests it wasn't that hard and it was fun to gain shitloads of gold, getting in the top10 fortune-list and just travelling around.

But i left vc after a while because well... i got bored of the game and all the multiple-account dudes and afking doesn't help much either.

But i also recommend everyone to give it a try, simply because it's definetely something new and unique.

Just disregard the pisspoor translation (of the asian original) and the mouse-click-steering and the stuff i mentioned above.

• Mark701Mark701 Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by sirgrindalot

I played a merchant for a few weeks and got to a lvl5 merch ship, with the quests it wasn't that hard and it was fun to gain shitloads of gold, getting in the top10 fortune-list and just travelling around.
    But i left vc after a while because well... i got bored of the game and all the multiple-account dudes and afking doesn't help much either.
    But i also recommend everyone to give it a try, simply because it's definetely something new and unique.
    Just disregard the pisspoor translation (of the asian original) and the mouse-click-steering and the stuff i mentioned above.

Oddly, my experience was almost identical to yours. I liked playing the game then all of a sudden lost interest. I think its because once you get past the relatively new concept of a 'MMORPG age of sail game', then it begins to look like every other MMORPG out there i.e. grind, grind, grind.  One thing that really irked me was as a merchant my missions were almost exclusively deliver x items to port A.  Very irritating since large amounts of time were spent just sitting waiting for your ship to arrive where it was suppose to go. And if you were sailing against the wind, forget it. And it always seemed that my ship was too small to complete the mission in one trip. That didn't equate to fun for me.

However that said, I quit about 3 months ago and perhaps a lot has changes since then so it's probably worth a look-see.

I'm similar, though my boat was only a level 2 frigate.

It was fun, but not enough.  On top of which it was find to identify who would give quests, the movement system was, to be very honest, crap, and the translations were really bad.

I might still play occasionally, but I just don;t feel the draw any more.

--