Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

G4 Xplay, brand new review rates WoW better than EQ2

Today's Xplay compares WoW including latest expansion to EQ2 including latest expansion, and WoW gets 5/5 while EQ2 gets 4/5.

They like both games but rate WoW better.

Their biggest complaint is that both games set up a premise of opposing factions, and WoW delivers by offering open PvP combat and developing a storyline promoting the warring factions, while EQ2 does not. EQ2 totally misses the mark and doesn't offer anything beyond the initial statement of good vs evil. There is no developing storyline supporting this premise in EQ2. Why is that?

Comments

• ASmith84ASmith84 Member Posts: 979
    those are old reviews on a new show but yea wow is better than eq2. 
  • mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653
    Yea, I noticed that too for the few months I played EQ2.  When you create a char, you have to choose good vs. evil, but after that you end up grouping with the opposite faction.  It just seems like they had a good idea, but then failed to follow with it.
  • lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Their biggest complaint is that both games set up a premise of opposing factions, and WoW delivers by offering open PvP combat and developing a storyline promoting the warring factions, while EQ2 does not. EQ2 totally misses the mark and doesn't offer anything beyond the initial statement of good vs evil. There is no developing storyline supporting this premise in EQ2. Why is that?

In EQ2 there has never been a war between the good and evil factions. At best the conflict between the Qeynos and Freeport is a cold war that is part of the backdrop for ongoing events. They sabotage each other, interfere with their plans and so forth but neither is interested in outright war.

The best analogy I can think of is the closeling days of WW2. Until very recently were uneasy allies in a fight for their mutual survival, and it isn’t quite apparent yet whether all the threats have been turned back. There are some very big threats still out there that have to make them cautious about completely abandoning their alliance just yet. It’s these larger threats and the recovery from the recent cataclysm that are the focus of much of the ongoing story.

They are closer to being at war on the PvP servers, but even there it’s more of a proxy war then a direct one.

• NewMonsterNewMonster Member Posts: 417

co0l! sum1 here is actually from g4

even myself cho0se wow over EverUglyQuest2

• LasteraLastera Member Posts: 368
    X-play also review Guild Wars giving it a 4 of 5 and DDO a 3 out of 5. Getting 3 out of 5 means the console game is rental while the PC game sucks so DDO didn't quite live up to be a really good PC game. X-Play also admitted DDO wasn't worth 15 a month, which I could agree. I want to see the reviews for Vanguard, LotRO, Warhammer and AoC in the near future.

I already predict a 5 out of 5 for AoC.
  • VistaakahVistaakah Member Posts: 176

EQ2 is far better then WOW in both PVE and PVP settings.....WOW  PVE is second rate to many other MMORPG and the PVP especially stinks with their totally pointless non goal orientated system. As you can tell i've played both and wish Warhammer Online was out :)

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

I think that Aliance vs Horde in WoW is the same as Good vs Evil EQ2. Maybe in EQ2 isnt so important whole world and its background, but small quest stories wich are better than WoW. WoW story is created more outside the game than ingame (other warcraft games, books and so on). And for me (as non-English speaker and also dont know Warcraft story from other games) is Eq2 only ingame telling enough.

Also as the game EQ2 seems better or equal WoW to me and I cant understand these "reviews".

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    but which is more fun.  thats all they're rating.  not which has better game mechanics.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481
    Originally posted by paulscott

but which is more fun.  thats all they're rating.  not which has better game mechanics.
    Well if that's what they're rating  then I agree... WOW is more fun than EQII.

EQII is the more complete title outside of  PVP , WOW is just fun.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• XzaLLeNTXzaLLeNT Member Posts: 46
    old episode, no comment.
  • DrFodDrFod Member Posts: 63
    WoW is the better PvP game, period.

EQ2 is the better PvE game, period.

PvP is EQ2 was an afterthought, introduced with the KoS expansion and has serious class imbalances and problems with combat mechanics.

As for PvE EQ2 beats WoW into the dust IMO. There is simply so much content that it's impossible to get through all it without outlevelling it. EQ2 also has a very long endgame, when you hit the lvl cap in WoW, it's pretty much raid or die. In EQ2 you still have a multitude of quests and new zones and instances to explore. Raiding is pretty much optional save for the very top end content.

Graphics are very much subjective and have been done to death on these forums, my opinion is that while WoW has fantastic art direction, the game engine is starting to look very dated. EQ2 is certainly still in the top 3 MMOs for technical brilliance which is amazing for a game which is 2 1/2 years old and I still can't play it on max settings with my mid-range rig.

Still, I would recommend that anyone who has burned out on WoW tries EQ2 and vice-versa. I loved WoW up to lvl 60 but became bored in a matter of weeks after that. Picked up EQ2 and I'm having a blast, even past 70.
  • XApotheosisXXApotheosisX Member Posts: 277

Wonder how much blizzard payed them to say that.

• brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100
    The only taste of EQ2 I've had was when they first started offering a 7 day trial (think that was the length.)  Ouch, wasn't feeling it.  Really, it's hard to go from the fluidity of control in WoW to something clunkier.  But it's been awhile so maybe EQ2 is much different from when I tried it. 

imageimage

• WispyWispy Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by brokenneedle

The only taste of EQ2 I've had was when they first started offering a 7 day trial (think that was the length.)  Ouch, wasn't feeling it.  Really, it's hard to go from the fluidity of control in WoW to something clunkier.  But it's been awhile so maybe EQ2 is much different from when I tried it. 
    How does EQ2 control?  I'm playing Vanguard right now, but think I'll put it on ice for a few months until the engine's fixed where it doesn't lock me up every hour or two...so now I need a new game to play.  Are camera and turning controls tied together on the mouse in the same way as WoW and Guild Wars?  That's really what I'm looking for.
  • DrFodDrFod Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Wispy

Originally posted by brokenneedle

How does EQ2 control?  I'm playing Vanguard right now, but think I'll put it on ice for a few months until the engine's fixed where it doesn't lock me up every hour or two...so now I need a new game to play.  Are camera and turning controls tied together on the mouse in the same way as WoW and Guild Wars?  That's really what I'm looking for.

Can't say I've noticed any difference in the way WoW, EQ2 or Vanguard play as far as controls are concerned.
  • brokenneedlebrokenneedle Member Posts: 100
    Yeah it's been awhile so I can't comment on how it controls/feels now (pretty sure its the standard wasd) I just remember it felt super-stiff compared to WoW.  But I thought even LOTRO didn't feel as good as WoW controls.  I'm not saying anything about content or even graphics so much as just that "control" and "one with the world your in" that I feel moving a WoW toon around as opposed to how it feels in some other games.  Blizz nailed it.  Believe me I would LOVE for some new mmorpg's to play. :)

imageimage

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    Originally posted by XzaLLeNT

old episode, no comment.

Originally posted by ASmith84

those are old reviews on a new show but yea wow is better than eq2. 

Wrong. It is a brand new current review, episode # 7025 originally aired 2/27/07.

Originally posted by paulscott

Better game mechanics make a game more fun, so it's all the same thing.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    Who cares. I'd give EQ2 7/10 and WoW 6/10.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    Originally posted by DuraheLL

But who are you? How much gaming experience do you have to make comparisons? It's safe to say the folks at G4 have more credibility than you. Also I agree with their assessment that there is no point to establish Good and Evil factions in a game if you aren't going to utilize it in the development of the story and build upon that premise. EQ2 falls flat in that regard.

• Mars505Mars505 Member Posts: 623

who me ?

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Didn't  X-play give Star Wars Galaxies a 2 out of five before NGE and then turn around after NGE was implemented and give it a 4 out of 5? 'Nuff said.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

But who are you? How much gaming experience do you have to make comparisons? It's safe to say the folks at G4 have more credibility than you. Also I agree with their assessment that there is no point to establish Good and Evil factions in a game if you aren't going to utilize it in the development of the story and build upon that premise. EQ2 falls flat in that regard. Their opinion is their opinion. Nobody can say WoW is better than EQ2. I can't stand playing WoW for an hour withoug getting so bored I get the strongest headache. However, EQ2 I could play for about 75 hours before getting tired.

EQ2 was funnier IMO since it had more flexibility than WoW. WoW is ONLY better being polished and that's all it ever will be. WoW has about the least content there can be found in a P2P game as I've seen. However you forge your opinion about that I don't care about I neither say it's bad or good so don't get all fired up upon that subject.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810
        G4 has turned into a hasbeen. they cant talk about video games because they dont know about video games they are just a wannabe MTV that caters to the WoW lovers and halo noobs. techTV was great with all the cool shows like the screensavers,call for help, fresh gear, cinematech, the old xplay... now i dont even bother scrolling all the way down on my guide to look at what is on G4. I dont know what your talking about credibility but on judgement day they said WoW had better graphics than EQ2... also they said it had better gameplay... i currently play WoW and have been for about a year the only reason i play i because of the people. if they leave im gone theres nothing else that game has to offer for me. theres limited/simple cookie cutter professions. only a small choice of classes that you cant even use with all races, so your limited if you want to try something different. Also the character cutstomization is weak to say the least. O did i mention all the brats you run into. I dont even want to talk about that.

In EQ2 i had a lot of fun meeting cool new people and playing as a fae berserker which is pretty scary. And the skill system was much beter than WoWs where you cant even upgrade your current skill to different levels you just wait for ever odd level...but in EQ2 you can buy books and up the potentcy of a skill. Also the professions are much more fun and interactive and it feels like a whole nother game which i sat around and crafted for a whole week trying to level outfitter to get new armor(which i eventually did). Also the parties feel a lot more active than in WoW. you can do heroic opportunitied which are like a sequnece of skills that can be activated depending on what types of classes are in your party.

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170

Who cares what X-Play thinks? 

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

But who are you? How much gaming experience do you have to make comparisons? It's safe to say the folks at G4 have more credibility than you. Also I agree with their assessment that there is no point to establish Good and Evil factions in a game if you aren't going to utilize it in the development of the story and build upon that premise. EQ2 falls flat in that regard. Their opinion is their opinion. Nobody can say WoW is better than EQ2. I can't stand playing WoW for an hour withoug getting so bored I get the strongest headache. However, EQ2 I could play for about 75 hours before getting tired.

EQ2 was funnier IMO since it had more flexibility than WoW. WoW is ONLY better being polished and that's all it ever will be. WoW has about the least content there can be found in a P2P game as I've seen. However you forge your opinion about that I don't care about I neither say it's bad or good so don't get all fired up upon that subject.

I nearly fell out my chair laughing, Durahell.    I think you have a screw loose in your head or something.

If EQ2 was so much better then WoW.  Why has SOE gone out of their way to make it more like WoW?  I'm not even going to argue with you about content.  Because frankly i'll take the fewer more detailed quest of WoW, over EQ2's thousands of generic quest.  I don't think you truly understand what "content" is.  Generic run of the mill quest thrown at you one after the other, with no real purpose is the weakest form of content.  EQ2 quest didn't strive to be anything else, but generic until EoF was released.   Least content of any P2P?  Don't kid yourself.  Pretty obvious you have no real gaming experience, with a comment as asinine as that.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.