Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VG Revisited: Possibly useful info

FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303
After giving up on VG initially, due to horrible performance, I decided (since I already shelled out $50 bucks and wouldn't be getting that back ...) to give it one more try.

So I uninstalled it, cleared a few more things off my HD, and then did a defrag.

I reinstalled VG, sat through the patch process (ugh). I noticed I got two more patches since I last ran it.

I also updated my video drivers for my 6800GS.

The performance (ie fps and the # of lag storms I hit) seem to be VASTLY improved. This happened since playing a couple hours last night on Thunderaxe (which I'm pretty sure was at Medium pop), and a couple hours today (Low pop).

I was playing previously at Highest Performance and still getting annoying stuttering, especially in settlements. Now, I tried at High Graphics and while I still get  some stuttering in towns, overall it's WAY better.

So, I'm not sure if was the defrag, the latest two patches, or the video driver update (or perhaps some combination of the three) but if anyone out there has a rig similar to mine (P4 2.5 GhZ, 1 GIG DDR, 256MB NVidia 6800GS) it would certainly be worth it to defrag (which is a good idea in general anyway) and check video drivers.

Some of you likely already tried all this. But it worked so well for me (at least so far; I probably should reserve final judgement until tonight) that I would strongly recommend uninstall, defrag, reinstall. I know it's a long process, but VG plays SO much better now.

Now, at least, I can play the game in an non-frustrating manner and judge it on it's own merits.

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    It was the defrag. Vanguard is a huge game and thusly memory reading play a large part in whether you are laggy/hitchy or not. Defragging makes an enormous difference in your performance. Glad you came back to see what it can really do.

• squeaky1squeaky1 Member Posts: 172
    I think the patch last week also had a lot to do with it.  I noticed significant improvement in performance for my system over the last few days.  Also, putting it at the front of a drive and de-fragging helped immensely with loading chunks.

- How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

- I don't know, but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Originally posted by anarchyart

It was the defrag. Vanguard is a huge game and thusly memory reading play a large part in whether you are laggy/hitchy or not. Defragging makes an enormous difference in your performance. Glad you came back to see what it can really do.
    Well, I started a new hunter and got him to only level 6. WAY faster than before since I'm spending way less time waiting for the lag storms to pass :)

To this point, I think VG is a good game. Not great, but good. It's a welcome relief from WoW which I got TOTALLY bored with, and the jury is still out whether I'll keep VG past the 21st (when my freebie is up) or cancel and wait for LOTRO.

Even if it is hard, and as a casual player I might never see max level, if it continues to perform well at least on Balanced I'll likely stick around.

I still see weird bugs (I had a mob disappear on my today briefly, and some VERY strange graphical glitches pop up now and again) but overall I like the immersiveness.

I always play archer-types, and the Ranger is a little more fun than the LOTRO hunter, but not quite as much fun as the WoW hunter. It IS different, though, so that's a plus!

One very odd thing I see, and I don't know if this is common, is that when I'm attacking at range the result of the shot (hit/miss) occurs even before my toon is finished pulling back on the bowstring. It's very jarring. It might just be a server/client synch problem, but I don't see the same thing in melee.