Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG vs WOW

so iam getting board of wow and i thought i would come ask about it, what is better about this game vs wow? cause i have been thinking of starting SWG and stoping wow.

Comments

• RittoRitto Member Posts: 191
    Originally posted by Floydfos

so iam getting board of wow and i thought i would come ask about it, what is better about this game vs wow? cause i have been thinking of starting SWG and stoping wow.
    I dont mean to be a flamer or anything, but i think another game may be you're best bet as all the changes have been quite bad... If you have played NGE and accepted its changes, then comming back might be a good idea since they have Changed things with the latest SWG chapters, but just keep inmind, There are alot of games out there that are alot better then this.

• FloydfosFloydfos Member Posts: 9
    well i have heard that ,but what would be the main thing that would cause people to stop? cause i still kinda want to play it.
  • dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Look the bottom line is you will make your own mind up. There are so many people that are upset about the NGE that trying to get an honest opinion on the game from these forums is nearly impossible. We all have different taste. We all had a great game snatched out from under us without warning. I still play the game and enjoy it. Since you never experienced the old SWG you should  have no problem trying the game and probablly enjoying it. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

And if you like the game great if you dont  gl in finding something you enjoy.

Oh and the main thing that would cause people to stop would be all the negative press due to the changes SOE threw on there playerbase with out warning, Changing there game completely. However this should have no bearing for you since you never got to experience the old game.

Try it out. I mean it's free to try so what do you have to lose.

ok, thanks for the input ill try it.
  • ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

The main reasons for a player not familiar with the old design of SWG not to play are:

1.  If you are Star Wars fan, the game is offensive.  It makes a mockery of the the movies.  (ie Jedi is given away as a starting profession during a time frame when the Jedi were all but extinct.

2.  Extremely low player population.  Most of the servers are ghost towns.  On a few have moderate population.

3.  SOE/Lucas Arts has a track record of invalidating player's in game acheivements with little or no warning.  Nothing you acheive in game is safe.  If your in game acheivements aren't safe, why achieve anything.  If you don't acheive anything in a MMORPG, what is the point of playing?

Good luck whatever you decide.

• WolfbiteWolfbite Member Posts: 34
    I would stay away from this game. I only tried this after the NGE was a fact, and there were two things that killed it for me. 1. The combat felt absolutely horrid, and 2. There was almost no other players around. Too bad, really. Hopefully, someone will pull the plug on this game, and we will get a new and good Star Wars MMO in 5-6 years time.
  • Janko84Janko84 Member Posts: 42
    like it wa written here if oyu never played it before try it and youll see if it is good for you.

i started to play it right after cu and i loved it i stoped plying this game on january 2007.

i love all the peps from my guild it is hard for me not to play, but theres is nothing that i would do there.

you know the only fun is PvP. and i dont realy like PvP. jedi starter profession bad decision, i like my medic more than my jedi.

miss the old times when i loged on and there were a lot of peps, now i log on and nothing or i see one leder jedi i start talking to him and he says you know im playing it for 2 weeks i buyed this toon on ebay. Great!!!

Im thinking to come back only casue i miss the chats with the peps and so.

Like one friend said: This is not agem for me, hell no, it is a expensive chat with good friends.

Just decide like you want.

Take care

Janko
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    If I was SOE, I'd pull everything SWG related from this site. The vet/refugees make these forums a fuckin' joke. Angry "refugee's" (what a lame description, kinda fits the clientele, though), constantly making threads/post talking about the fuckin' emu, without bans although if you so much as breathe free server anywhere else on these forums, you're temp banned and post removed. They get there own little section away from those who enjoy the game, and yet they post in the current section anytime someone even remotely looks like they may play or enjoy the game (such as the trolls posting crap above in response to the OP's question) trying to run off customers/potential players. Half the idiots haven't logged in for months and have no clue what is happening in the game, the other half secretly play while swearing they don't so they can "fit in" with the refugee misfits. As someone said above, noone gets to say anything without the trolls spouting "The old game was better. Don't play this POS." It's useless to have this section here anymore, current OR "refu-fuckin-gees".
  • GenwaGenwa Member Posts: 156
    SWG vs WoW?

This is like PSone vs PS3
    Originally posted by Zorvan

If I was SOE, I'd pull everything SWG related from this site. The vet/refugees make these forums a fuckin' joke. Angry "refugee's" (what a lame description, kinda fits the clientele, though), constantly making threads/post talking about the fuckin' emu, without bans although if you so much as breathe free server anywhere else on these forums, you're temp banned and post removed. They get there own little section away from those who enjoy the game, and yet they post in the current section anytime someone even remotely looks like they may play or enjoy the game (such as the trolls posting crap above in response to the OP's question) trying to run off customers/potential players. Half the idiots haven't logged in for months and have no clue what is happening in the game, the other half secretly play while swearing they don't so they can "fit in" with the refugee misfits. As someone said above, noone gets to say anything without the trolls spouting "The old game was better. Don't play this POS." It's useless to have this section here anymore, current OR "refu-fuckin-gees".

I think the current player should certainly be able to have constructive dicussions about the current game without it turning into the NGE sucks. 

However, if someone asks why NOT to play, SWG, I think criticisms that would impact a new player are fair game, even if in this "current" forum. Maybe the changes to the combat system or even changes to professions wouldn't matter to a new person, but explaining how SOE treats its player is very relevant.  Someone new to SWG deserves a warning about SOE.  If they decide to take the risk, well that's there business, but at least we can help them make an informed decision.   Same thing with the way the game currently  mocks Star Wars.  I would think a new player would want to know that, especially if they are a Star Wars fan.

I am sorry that you feel the former SWG players are treating you unfairly or are interfering with your enjoyment of SWG.  While on one level, I am sypathetic. On another level, I feel the same way about you playing SWG and speaking positively about the game as you feel about me explaining to someone new what SOE did.  You might actually convince someone to play the game, and that only helps SOE perpetuate what they did.  I don't say that to antagonize you or attack you for playing SWG, as that is certainly your right, but merely to suggest that it isn't as black and white probably either of us believe.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by ShiloFields
    While on one level, I am sypathetic. On another level, I feel the same way about you playing SWG and speaking positively about the game as you feel about me explaining to someone new what SOE did. You might actually convince someone to play the game, and that only helps SOE perpetuate what they did. I don't say that to antagonize you or attack you for playing SWG, as that is certainly your right, but merely to suggest that it isn't as black and white probably either of us believe.

Poeple are not explaining what SoE did. Never saw an post doing so and if poeple want to do that they need to give full information. Not just a couple of months ago they fucked the game up. They are working on improving the game, whatever poeple like it or not. They know they fucked up and they are trying to improve the game (I belive a lot of poeple simply do not wanna see this).

SWG I find an enjoyable game. The crafting is differant and more complicate then most MMOs. They implent good things the last view months like the expertise system and they started to listen to there comunity. Only thing with is a shame is the low population. I belive they should atleast close half the current servers.

For the rest it's an good game, maybe not as good as it was before, but that is not really relivent as we are now here present day.

Originally posted by Genwa

SWG vs WoW?

This is like PSone vs PS3
    And WoW would be the PSone.
  • ArmySurplusArmySurplus Member Posts: 103

I played WOW and was bored stiff after about level 40. I played SWG when it first came out and it was ok, I had to quit due to work and such. I recently resubbed to SWG and am having a great time. Maybe its because Im sick and tired of the same old theme and HATE raiding, but SWG hasnt been dull yet. You have to pick the right server, but I see people everywhere. All you have to do is log on and see what  server has the most population, I've seen 4 or 5 at medium most nights. I left my old server to play on the more active ones and although I miss having my stuff I am enjoying myself. SWG offers more than WOW hands down (housing, vehicles and mounts at any level, a slate for RP galore and just the atmosphere) and is its nice not having to deal with the majority of children that play that game. Granted all games have inmature players, but you cant walk a step without stepping in some in wow.

This is all my opinion and yours may be different. Like most have said try the trials of each and test the waters out for yourself.

People are still stewing well after a year if not more and want to see the game close its doors so bad they'd sell their souls to do it.

Family man first, Gamer second!

ArmySurplus makes no apologies if someone other than him has already posted his reply in part or otherwise. He can’t be expected to read every single post on a thread and makes no promise to do so. If you posted a similar reply before him you undoubtedly stole his thoughts and used them without his written authorization. Please return to your post and edit it so that his post is the first to state whatever the hell he was thinking at the time. Thank you!

• raymerjacqueraymerjacque Member Posts: 75

i was a huge wow player too, played for over 2 years, finaly gave it up and moved onto starwars, and i must say it is by far the best move i ever made.

it is true that they broke alot with nge, altho i did not play it i have friends who played and i was following the progress. and until recently the game was pretty much dead, the last few months have been exciting tho.

anyway, i made a list of reasons why swg is better than wow, these might apeal to you, and maybe not

List : the good :

Depth :
    ------

In wow when you craft something it is as simple as having the resources and crafting the item, end of story.

In SWG it is an entire different matter, there are other things that make a difference on the outcome of the product. First the quality of your resources, the quality of your crafting station, your talents and buffs also play a role in the matter.

So basicly if you have top quaility resources and crafting station and you have good assembly buffs and you have + assembly talent points you will get a very good product.

crafting a weapon ( for example ) with poor quality resources etc .. will give it a poor dps.

and crafting is just one of hundreds of examples on how much more indepth starwars galaxies is than wow, but depth is my main reason for liking swg more.

World :
    -------

The starwars world is huge, and i mean huge !!!!

You have what, around 12-13 planets that you can explore and play on, each with it's own unique look and feel to it, each has atleast 2 or 3 cities and some have even more.

Now i am not saying it is bigger than wow, or smaller than wow if you directly compare them, but it definitely feels and looks alot bigger.

Each guild can also build it's own player city, you can have a guild hall, banks, bazaar ( bazaar is an auction house ), player vendors, cantina ( cantina is where you chill and watch live concerts etc ), guild hall etc .. every player in the guild can also place his own house inside the city, and you can fully funrice your house with paintings, chairs, beds etc ..

There are hundreds of thousands of variety of objects and items you can place in your house to customise it, trust me, you will spend months and months decorating your house.

this alone outshines wow in many ways ...

Exploration :
    --------------

in wow once you have discovered new territory you soon realise that it is nothing new, just another area with the same npc's and just more mobs to grind on ...

In SWG - exploring is the most fun part of the game, with player cities all over the planets and vendors all over the place you will be exploring the world for a long long time, especialy if you are hunting down a specific resource and you looking for top quality. i have run around for days on end looking for the best quality inert gas, and it is alot of fun dicovering new vendors with good items that i never knew existed. :D

Ground as well as space content :
    ---------------------------------
    It is not easy designing a game to have both ground and space content and do both brilliantly, and starwars takes the cake for this.

no matter what your profession, you can take pilot as a secondary profession, this will allow you to fly into space and actualy make use of the space and areas between the planets, the space content is huge, as big as the ground world is , so is the space world.

like ground content, you get quests, ranks and upgrades etc for space. so as a pilot you can progress and make your way to master pilot, upgrade your ship as you go or buy better ships. you also have space minning that can make you very rich.

the nice thing about space is it is very well designed, it is noob friendly, yet apealing to the highest of the space freaks. when you tired of grinding / questing / exploring on planets, simply launch your ship and enter the space world :D

Inter dependancy :
    -------------------

in wow you are not really dependant on other classes, the cases where you are can be somed up in one hand. most of the time you can do virtually anything solo.

Starwars on the other hand, the professions are very dependant on each other. traders craft items, entertainers buff you etc ... in starwars if you go dueling, grinding or instance running without a buff you will soon wish you had gotten that buff. if you want a new item you HAVE to go see a crafter.

professions :
    -------------

the professions all have different bracnhes to them. example :

if you choose a trader, you can choose to master 1 of 4 different branches of crafting. if you choose jedi you can take the path to the dark or good side etc ...

---------------------------------------------

List : the bad :

Graphics :
    ----------
    graphics is a little outdated considering the game was released in 2003, wow has far better graphics. but still, graphics are not bad in any way, i thought it was actualy pretty darn good. the nice thing is that with a fairly descent system you can run all on max and it looks pretty darn good when all is maxed. you can see screenshots for what to expect graphics wise.

Combat system :
    ---------------
    targeting is a little hard to master, you have your left mouse button that selects target, then middle mouse that actualy targets the mob and then right mouse to attack. all in all it can be a little tricky at first to get used to the combat system, many first timers find it stupid and frustrating, but after a few days it grows on you :D

Bugs :
    ------
    NGE broke alot of things in the game, so expect alot of bugs. the developers are finally after more than a year starting to fix the bugs, but the progress is slow and is not going to happen overnight.

Player population :
    -------------------
    with NGE many players left and the game basicly become like a ghost town.
    It is true the player base is picking up alot now with all the new chapters and bug fixes in the last few months, but don't expect to see 200 players running around you like you did in wow.

-------------------------------------------

Ok well, i am not gonna spoil the game for you too much, the lists above is only a fraction of what to expect ingame, yes the game took a turn for the worse with nge .. but in the last few months i have seen nothing but positive changes and i don't care who says what, this game is heading in the right direction now.

player population is picking up alot, i see it on a daily bassis. Alot of vets are returning and with the launch of complete online adventures alot of new players joined too.

I just hope that SOE stays on the right path now, they learned a very hard lesson and payed dearly for it. most of the developers that are currently working on swg are new and are trying to make the game what it once was, which is a good thing, one of the last remaining idiots that broke the game just left development which is great news for us players.

in a way i feel like i am growing with the game as it stands now, each new chapter is not just small tweaks but has huge impacts on the world, and so i am allways have something to do even on top of my huge list of daily things. so far all the chapters have made me more happy than disapointed. i really think we have a good dev team this time around.

anyway, even in it's worsed hour, this game still remains one of the best made mmorpgs the world has ever seen. i am pretty sure any ex-wow player will enjoy this game tremediously.

just a word of advise :
    -----------------------
    choose a good server, preferably one of the more populated ones like "gorath" , "bria" or "azhazi".

this game is definitely has more depth than any other mmorpg i have played, and this is exactly what i was looking for in a game ....

Also take this into consideration :

if you played pre nge then you may or may not be dissapointed in the changes, some people are, others aren't.

IF YOU DID NOT PLAY PRE NGE AND ARE JOINING FOR THE FIRS TIME :
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    then pre nge does not matter, since you did not play it then and don't know what it was like it won't matter, i joined after nge, and i don't care how the game was, i know it as it is now and i like it. most people in my shoes probly won't like pre nge because we are used to the new system and new content.

so my advice is don't listen to all these old timers that make the game sound all broken and try and make pre nge sound godly.

trust me, you won't miss it at all, there is enough ingame content and features that will keep you busy for years ....

these flamers don't get it, they keep posting the same crap over and over. "soe broke the game" , "it is a waste of time " etc ..

We don't care what pre nge was, it is gone now, will never return, we did not play pre nge so we don't care for your sorrows. the game is taking a good direction and that is all that matters.

And it is very biased and childish of anyone to try and stop someone to try it out for themselves. the reason i took so long to join starwars was because of @ssholes like you telling me the whole time not to waste my money. now i wish i had joined the game earlier and not listened to you lot.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

Great post raymer!

As for WoW, I don't care how many people like it, I hate it and I doesn't matter to  if I'm in the minority on that at all. I base my opinion on what I have fun doing.

I learned a long time ago to try things for myself because I don't always agree with how anyone rates things. I've seen movies that were given great ratings and I hated them, tried games that got high ratings and hated those as well. 

If I went by opinions of others all the time I'd be missing out on a lot of things.

When the first Star Wars movie came out there was a lot of criticism about it.  This is the first SW MMORPG and the first  game of this magnitude so it's naturally going to be criticized as well.  

SWG is fun for me and I don't see myself quitting anytime.

o , and one more word of advise, don't judge the game on the intro quests. the whole intro world and quests really suck bad, don't know why they even put that in. just do the intro quests as quickly as you can, once you finnish those you get teleported to the actual game, then the fun begins :D

WOW, thanks guys this are all good posts and ALOT of help to me i really want to play this now. At first, i dont want to be rude those said people but the first cuple of posts kinda flamed it for me and i didnt want to play it but i didnt give up i just keap on watching the post to see what other people thought, and to see poeple type out his long posts for some random is big and cool to see some people care about some one wanting to join. Now i want to play i just have to go out and buy
    well i got the trail and this game is AMAZING! one more question can i upgrade my trail to a full cause i like my guy ;)?
    Originally posted by Coman

Poeple are not explaining what SoE did. Never saw an post doing so and if poeple want to do that they need to give full information. Not just a couple of months ago they fucked the game up. They are working on improving the game, whatever poeple like it or not. They know they fucked up and they are trying to improve the game (I belive a lot of poeple simply do not wanna see this).
    SWG I find an enjoyable game. The crafting is differant and more complicate then most MMOs. They implent good things the last view months like the expertise system and they started to listen to there comunity. Only thing with is a shame is the low population. I belive they should atleast close half the current servers.
    For the rest it's an good game, maybe not as good as it was before, but that is not really relivent as we are now here present day.

I believe my first post did try to explain what SOE did.  Certainly very briefly, I was just trying to get the point across without belaboring it.  I will be more thorough.  

Prior to the NGE, which was annouced on or about November 3, 2005 and went live on November 15, 2005, it was very difficult to be a Jedi.  You couldn't just create a Jedi character.  You had to unlock your slot.  This took many months, and in some cases years to do.  The NGE gave away Jedi as a starting class, which essentially, made the acheivement of those that had become and then leveled up Jedi worthless.  Jedi is just one example of how the NGE completely invalidated the achievements of players, but it happened to others as well. 

SOE has admitted that they made this change with the full knowledge that the majority of their existing players would hate it and many would quit over it.  These changes were made to bring in a different type of player at the expense of their existing customers.

If SOE would do that when they are a fairly large subscription base, what do you think they will do to the current players?  They have already shown they haven't learned their lesson from the NGE.  Since the NGE, they took stole players faction ranks in order to create a new rank system.  They simply are not trustworthy when it comes to protecting players in game acheivements.

Lastly, since the NGE changes were developed in secret , while inconsistent changes to the system were being developed publicly, and annouced only at the last minute, it is very possible that at this very moment SOE planning the shut down of SWG and using the ruse of the development of chapter 5 as a way to keep you subscribed until the very end, just as they did with the pre-NGE players they had already decided to abandon. 

A MMO is a big investment of time.  SOE is not trustworthy enough for your time.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Oh I would say try it for sure... download the trial version..

THEN log into the server KAURI  go to exciting Coronet or Theed.

THEN log into the server oh say... Corbantis or Wanderhome..  go to exciting Dathomir or Talus.. enjoy seeing all the people enjoying the game and great diversity.

I would say for SURE TRY IT YOURSELF... no two ways about it...

In fact I almost think everyone should re-try the game at this point...

(Although last time I did I was stuck in aggro for like 15 mins). but hey Im sure they got that fixed..

Originally posted by iskareot

THEN log into the server oh say... Corbantis or Wanderhome..  go to exciting Dathomir or Talus.. enjoy seeing all the people enjoying the game and great diversity.
    (Although last time I did I was stuck in aggro for like 15 mins). but hey Im sure they got that fixed..
    Try logging into Bria, Ahazi, or Bloodfin. I know Bria for a fact has alot of people now, since it's the server I play on.
  • Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by Floydfos

well i got the trail and this game is AMAZING! one more question can i upgrade my trail to a full cause i like my guy ;)?
     Give it 2 weeks, 3 tops....paying to play a game that should be in beta is insane.
  • iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by iskareot

Try logging into Bria, Ahazi, or Bloodfin. I know Bria for a fact has alot of people now, since it's the server I play on.

Being a Bria'n since beta I can tell you though that it has about 1/32 the population it once had of course.    At one time... you had so many people in Coronet you had to avoid the city due to the lag.

There is many old Bria vets that have long gone due to the NGE... last time I logged in between both my toons -0 were on out of about 1000 people on the friends lists. 

Sad really... although it was a "Trial come back free play thing from SOE to me, I played for about a hour"....  not the same Bria thats for sure.